HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Constant Mentions of Significant Other in Every Conversation: A Local Aberration?
Posted by: Give It a Rest ()
Date: April 05, 2013 07:40AM

Why do so many people in Northern Virginia bring up their significant other in every single conversation they have with anyone?

I have lived in other parts of the country where only the most insecure people do this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Constant Mentions of Significant Other in Every Conversation: A Local Aberration?
Posted by: easy ()
Date: April 05, 2013 07:43AM

Because they cannot talk about their hush-hush jobs.

not rocket science....................
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 05, 2013 07:56AM

Give It a Rest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do so many people in Northern Virginia bring
> up their significant other in every single
> conversation they have with anyone?

so you are unfamiliar with family pride? That's kinda odd.

> I have lived in other parts of the country where
> only the most insecure people do this.

so you are more comfortable with insecure ppl, is that what you are saying?

to answer yr question directly, it's prolly cause yr part of the conversation is uninteresting, lacking in intelligence, or just plain boring.

MAYBE if you start having things come out of yr mouth that other want to hear, then you wont be so burdened by the stuff you hear come out of the mouths of others....................

pic unrelated
Attachments:
itch.png

Re: Constant Mentions of Significant Other in Every Conversation: A Local Aberration?
Posted by: Give It a Rest ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:00AM

@Gordon Blvd

Getting a lecture from the world's oldest /b/tard is truly epic.

You give me a big lulz.

Posted by: figures ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:02AM

Because they think, both men and women, that you OP are hitting on them and are trying to set some boundaries.

Posted by: suntzu ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:13AM

I've noticed it the other way. Started a pretty dam interesting conversation, the person keeps bringing up their kids, their wife, etc., or their friends they know from their neighborhood, as in "do you know so and so?" then I realize this is all they can talk about.

As if others don't have kids, wives, neighborhood friends they can drone on and on about...

So no, they are not defending against a boring conversation, they are taking an aggressive position against an interesting conversation in which they can't really participate.

Posted by: I know right ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:35AM

My wife of 10 years and I were talking about this also and we agree with the OP.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:45AM

I hate when these heffers refer to their husbands as "hubby". Makes me want to slap them.

Posted by: Which one? ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:21AM

OP,

do you mean men or women?

Posted by: Life is Great, Can't You See ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:37AM

Probably because these dweebs around here are so amazed that they have looped a partner that they sincerely want to spread their exhilaration about their life to everyone within earshot.

Posted by: duhhhhhh ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:38AM

answer 1:

because once you have a great family, you realize how insignificant and uninteresting someone else's hobo backpacking trek through France on their Daddy's dime really is ?

answer 2:

because once you become middle management, work 80 hours a week & spend 3 hours a day in traffic you basically become a hermit whose only real interaction with another adult that doesn't involve work, is with your significant other.

answer 3:

because you keep hitting on people and they are trying to give you the hint, nicely, that they are grown ass people that are fucking married and don't find your 20-something broke-ass, living at home, horndog schtick interesting/funny/a turnon.

answer 4:

because they are in such a loveless relationship that they feel like they HAVE to constantly remind themselves they are married to prevent themselves from attacking the next 20-something hot peice of ass that walks by.

answer 5: all of the above

Posted by: growler ()
Date: April 05, 2013 10:01AM

duhhhhhh Wrote:
> answer 1:
>
> because once you have a great family, you realize
> how insignificant and uninteresting someone else's
> hobo backpacking trek through France on their
> Daddy's dime really is ?
>
> answer 2:
>
> because once you become middle management, work 80
> hours a week & spend 3 hours a day in traffic you
> basically become a hermit whose only real
> interaction with another adult that doesn't
> involve work, is with your significant other.
>
> answer 3:
>
> because you keep hitting on people and they are
> trying to give you the hint, nicely, that they are
> grown ass people that are fucking married and
> don't find your 20-something broke-ass, living at
> home, horndog schtick interesting/funny/a turnon.
>
>
> answer 4:
>
> because they are in such a loveless relationship
> that they feel like they HAVE to constantly remind
> themselves they are married to prevent themselves
> from attacking the next 20-something hot peice of
> ass that walks by.
>
>
> answer 5: all of the above

+1

Posted by: Yep I've Seen It ()
Date: April 05, 2013 10:10AM

I used to work with a guy with a not-too-hot GF who when girls (some hot as shit) would flirt with him would EVERY TIME bring up has partner.

Everyone at work would joke about this compulsion of his.

Posted by: Fatty McPatty ()
Date: April 05, 2013 10:16AM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> I hate when these heffers refer to their husbands
> as "hubby". Makes me want to slap them.

OMG baby talk between to adults makes me want to throw up. Even worse baby talk between to fuck fats. PUKE!

I sat next to these fat fucks chics in the bar last weekend and they started talking about their sex toys and dildo's. I don't mind if two smoking hot chics discuss their toys etc... but two 300lbs talking about sex makes me ill.

I finally had to switch seats.

Posted by: jettaman ()
Date: April 05, 2013 11:16AM

Isn't it perfectly natural to bring up a large portion of your life? Aren't our relationships (platonic and romantic) a topic that is a lowest common denominator across the human experience? There are a lot of wonks in the area so talking about your job might go over people's heads.

Posted by: wonk ()
Date: April 05, 2013 11:26AM

What is a wonk?

Posted by: Philologist ()
Date: April 05, 2013 11:35AM

wonk Wrote:
> What is a wonk?

He means wanker.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 05, 2013 11:38AM

Give It a Rest Wrote:
> @Gordon Blvd
>
> Getting a lecture from the world's oldest /b/tard
> is truly epic.
>
> You give me a big lulz.
Attachments:
are-you-not-entertained.gif

Posted by: slapper ()
Date: April 05, 2013 11:49AM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> I hate when these heffers refer to their husbands
> as "hubby". Makes me want to slap them.

I agree, once i actually did hit someone for saying this. everyone was drunk and the (non)arresting officer agreed with me. took me outside in cuffs then let me go, LOLZ

Posted by: Dave facundo ()
Date: April 05, 2013 12:32PM

Bruce Wilson always mentions his Significant Other.

I hate that.

Posted by: coledude ()
Date: April 05, 2013 04:09PM

I'm 45 and love going to bars. I REALLY hate it when women immediately start talking about their boyfriends as if it is a burden to talk to me.

Its a pisser when later I see them chat with other guys and leave with one of them.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.