HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
So, my son wants a motorcycle...
Posted by: Slim ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:12AM

My son is 17 and is continually reminding me that he'll be 18 before the year's out and that he wants a motorcycle.

I've never ridden one myself, but I have strong feelings against him owning one though I have kept my remarks to myself. All I have said to him is, "The law requires that you have a license to ride a motorcycle and since you're not familiar with them, I think it would be a good idea to take a rider operation/safety class which I will loan you the money interest-free for if you can't pay for it yourself."

I work with 3 guys that own and ride motorcycles. The youngest is 32, the oldest is 48. I've have asked them how safe it is to ride one in this area and they've all said they ride on weekends and clear skies only and typically on rides out and back on Route 7. They've all said they've put their bikes down at some point though none were seriously injured.

Is there anything left for me to say to my son? (I mean besides, "Ride hard for Timmy Slaw..." or "Drop in at Kilroy's on Wednesday nights..." or "Make sure you only ride an AMF Harley...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So, my son wants a motorcycle...
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:14AM

Tell him to start saving his money.

Posted by: motordeath ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:20AM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell him to start saving his money.

...and buy a cemetery plot.

Posted by: de liver me ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:22AM

motordeath Wrote:
> Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tell him to start saving his money.
>
>
> ...and buy a cemetery plot.

and check off organ donor on his OL

Posted by: you sure about that? ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:24AM

Attachments:
thai_jihad_1.jpg
motorcyclist-severe-head-trauma-jaw-skull-ripped-off-06-300x181.jpg
motorcycle%20accident%20victim%2003.jpg
semi1.jpg
ATT000277.jpg

Posted by: WOW!!!! ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:25AM

Don't forget to increase the life insurance you have on him either.

Posted by: cashing in ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:29AM

WOW!!!! Wrote:
> Don't forget to increase the life insurance you
> have on him either.

Why not make a quick buck while you're at it?

Posted by: bwi ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:31AM

Slim Wrote:
> My son is 17 and is continually reminding me that
> he'll be 18 before the year's out and that he
> wants a motorcycle.
>
>

Why don't you also buy him a case of Four Loko's to go with said new motorcycle?

Posted by: Four LokOD ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:32AM

WOW!!!! Wrote:
> Don't forget to increase the life insurance you
> have on him either.

Don't forget the case of Four Loko's either!

Posted by: Just visit that site. ()
Date: February 05, 2013 12:26PM

Just goto Kaotic.com to see videos of horrific accidents involving those things.

Posted by: UpUCG ()
Date: February 05, 2013 01:11PM

Just visit that site. Wrote:
> Just goto Kaotic.com to see videos of horrific
> accidents involving those things.

Wow.... NSFW... decapitated cyclist, up close video.
http://www.kaotic.com/11611_Asian-Biker-Squashed-Under-Truck--Head-Popped-Off.html

Posted by: Not Quite ()
Date: February 05, 2013 01:30PM

I had my first motorcycle at 16 - 125cc Benelli that I converted (with older brother's help) into a knobby-tired, no battery/lights, expansion chamber exhausted, off-road "thing" (can't really call it a motocross bike though I certainly did things like that with it). I ran that sucker into the ground then turned around and sold it for $125 to a guy who wanted to build a go-kart for his kid - man, that would have been a neat go-kart (4 speeds and manual clutch instead of single speed auto-clutch). A little later in high school I had another motorcycle that I used to go to school in 12th grade, continued to use it into college (though moved within walking distance after the first year so sold it).

Get your kid something small, make sure he's well-trained and ALWAYS wears appropriate gear, and watch him come back with bugs on his teeth from smiling so much.

Posted by: real meaning ()
Date: February 05, 2013 01:34PM

This is your son's way of telling you he is gay.

Posted by: uuuuuhhh. ()
Date: February 05, 2013 01:34PM

you sure about that? Wrote:
> .

woah! that last one is crazy and sick i wish i saw it happen o_O

Posted by: had one ()
Date: February 05, 2013 02:21PM

I had one in college living in arlington and commuting to GW/work in dc. Its a cheap way to get around but this is a Very dangerous place to ride. The roads are greasy, people don't look around and traffic is heavy. Forget riding on the beltway that is just a death wish.

An extensive safety course would probably help a lot but when he gets in an accident (and he will) it will probably be the other driver's fault. If it were my kid I would ask him to wait till he was no longer living under my roof - might buy you a few years of precious maturity. Im sure Id be dead if I started at 18 (I drove like a mad man).

Finally make sure he gets a big enough bike. Little 400cc shit wont be able to get out of the way around here. Id go for an 800-1200cc for sure.

Posted by: your nemesis ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:12PM

I rode a Jap crotch rocket for about 12 years and learned a few things, namely there a two types of motorcycle riders....1) those that have gone down and 2) those that are going to go down.

Tell him to get at least a 700 c.c., don't ride in short and flip-flops, and buy the best helmet he can afford, ' cause he is gonna' need it.

Posted by: rusty nail ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:17PM

I rode a Harley up here for years. I finally gave it up. At least twice a day I had to brake hard to avoid someone turning left in front of me. Add cell phone texting and illegals with no insurance or license and you are heading for a crash sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Not Quite ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:40PM

your nemesis Wrote:
> Tell him to get at least a 700 c.c.

These large engine sizes are insanity for a first bike, IMHO.

Posted by: dirt bike instead ()
Date: February 05, 2013 06:49PM

rusty nail Wrote:
> I rode a Harley up here for years. I finally gave
> it up. At least twice a day I had to brake hard to
> avoid someone turning left in front of me. Add
> cell phone texting and illegals with no insurance
> or license and you are heading for a crash sooner
> rather than later.

That's the reason my motorcycle stays in the garage, and I'm going to sell it. It is mind blowing on how many times that shit happens, just in one day of riding.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: February 05, 2013 07:13PM

I went through that phase when I was 17 or so. My parents said hell no, since one of their high school friends was killed 2 weeks after graduation on one.

Now that I'm older and aware of my mortality, I would not allow my kids one either. But once they are 18, they can do whatever they want. Same for your son. I know one guy who got killed on one while stopped at a light (the car ran the light and plowed into him head on), one friend shattered his pelvis (his fault) and I saw a rider dead on top of a car (head through the windshield) a few years back.

Three of my neighbors ride, but only on the weekends and only in the back roads. One had to lay down last fall because of some assclown pulling in front of him.

No thanks. If I'm going to get into a wreck, I want some metal and airbags around me.

Posted by: Homie D Clown ()
Date: February 05, 2013 10:27PM

rusty nail Wrote:
> at least twice a day I had to brake hard to
> avoid someone turning left in front of me. Add
> cell phone texting and illegals with no insurance
> or license and you are heading for a crash sooner
> rather than later.

The above, and all the negative replies about sums it up. I road trail bikes in my midteens and got a road bike when I turned 18. A few years on the road was way more than enough, and that was before cell phones became common. No way is it worth the risk in this day and age. I certainly would not have one as a primary vehicle.. Good Luck!

Posted by: Honda 360T ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:20PM

I had a bike until I moved here; then got rid of it. I have never seen an area more unaware or uncaring of motorcyclists than DC. I attribute it to drivers who are self-important a-holes, soccer moms in a hurried panic, and day laborers used to poorly enforced traffic laws and nonexistent driver education in their home countries.

Posted by: ffx yuppie //m5 ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:28PM

Not Quite Wrote:
> your nemesis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tell him to get at least a 700 c.c.
>
> These large engine sizes are insanity for a first
> bike, IMHO.

+1. I started on a 250 ninja, it was plenty for a first bike.

Posted by: NtUv9 ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:55PM

who would admit to being a "yuppie"? it means gay white panzy ass

andd who has such low selfesteem to identify with their car?

wtf dude-time to grow up

Posted by: nicobolas ()
Date: February 06, 2013 12:30AM

i started on a 492cc buell i'd recommend a honda knght hawk as it was my first motorcylce i owned but its a very good starter bike don't let these other twits with the pictures scare you there are draw backs to being on a motorcylce but they're easily avoided if the driver is responsible most of them probably worn't paying attention and thats their short coming. get him to go through the class and advance class for cyclists if he passes then he should be ok but always make sure you have some kind of ensurance just in case motorcycles can be very touchy..

Posted by: Warm and friendly ()
Date: February 06, 2013 12:49AM

Posted by: Warm and friendly ()
Date: February 06, 2013 01:00AM

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 06, 2013 05:45AM

Look up the term squid when it applies to motorcyclists. It's what they look like after the crash.

-
Attachments:
ex1.jpg

Posted by: ffx yuppie //m5 ()
Date: February 06, 2013 05:57AM

NtUv9 Wrote:
> who would admit to being a "yuppie"? it means gay
> white panzy ass
>
> andd who has such low selfesteem to identify with
> their car?
>
> wtf dude-time to grow up

Yes yes, I know I am a gay white panzy ass. And I would be the person who has such a low self esteem to identify my self by my car.

Posted by: nicobolas ()
Date: February 06, 2013 07:59PM

you really shouldn't feed the animals with your responce, you know some people want to argue on the internet but for me i see no point in it because at the end of the day they're still retarded. no offense to those with any mental disabilities as of course.

Posted by: WKhXL ()
Date: February 06, 2013 08:54PM

Slim- I suggest you buy him a dirt bike to feed his need and take him to the mountains to go riding, you should join him as well. After a few ejections he will get the idea real quick how fast shit can go wrong. If he goes further with his quest for a street bike (and he will) he will have learned some very good skills as to how a bike reacts when you are traviling at high speeds.

Most people I know who bought a bike at 18 totaled it the first few months. Friends that grew up riding dirt bikes tend to not ever crash and have more awarness of what is going on. Just my take on it. Let him crash out in the woods and not on the streets where a car can run you over. No mater how good of a rider you are it is only a mater of time before you dump it or someone hits you.

Posted by: nigga jones ()
Date: February 06, 2013 09:31PM

Yes, learning to ride in the dirt is the best advice..But sometimes You just can't fix stupid.

Posted by: BioHazard ()
Date: February 06, 2013 09:35PM

^ Good advice. He should learn to ride off road first.

At the same time - it may not make a difference because its usually not the person on the motorcycle it is the folks driving cars.

I road dirt bikes into my teenage years on a dirt track and off-road with a group of guys. Then my family moved and there was nowhere to ride so I moved on.

Within 5 years of everyone graduating to street bikes - 7 of the 12 guys I road with were dead and it wasn't their fault. The first to die was my best friend - the best rider in our group. Car crossed the double yellow on a turn and that was all she wrote.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: February 06, 2013 10:28PM

kids have a hard enough time not killing themselves in a car when they get their license. if you want your son to be around past the age of 20, dont let him get a motorcycle. if he does, make sure he checks off organ donor on his license becuase if wont be long before he is a donor. nova is not the place to ride a motorcycle, much less learn how to ride one here.

Posted by: DirtRider ()
Date: February 07, 2013 04:21PM

I had a few street bikes for about 5 years around here and luckily never had a serious accident. I have switched over to dirtbikes as they are way more fun and 100% safer, especially with the zipper heads that drive around here. They used to turn in front of me everytime I rode as well. Do not let him get one unless you don't want him around long!

Date: February 07, 2013 04:59PM

Make him buy a nice suit when he buys his bike. Soon enough he's either going to wear it at a friend's funeral or his own. I rode for 20 years or so, had to lay it down a few times. Busted an ankle pretty bad. Lost more than a few friends.

But it is something awesome that you can't describe.

Posted by: Johnny Galt ()
Date: February 07, 2013 07:13PM

He'll be dead before you know it.

If you love him, do all you can to make it financially impossible for him to do this, otherwise say good bye every day like you mean it because chances are pretty good he'll be dead long before you.

It isn't the riding that's the problem, it's the other drivers in this area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 07:14PM by Johnny Galt.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: February 08, 2013 09:10PM

My primary advice is to have him finance it completely on his own and make it more expensive by mandating safety gear. No matter how smart they are, there's a lot of stupid going around at that age. We all were there and we all were stupid. If you disagree, you're in denial.

I got a bike at 21 years old because that was the only legal/insured transportation I could afford. I had a few close calls. Distracted drivers have made it much more dangerous for commute riding in traffic. If he only wants it for leisure riding out west, it might not be so bad.

If he somehow pulls it off...

One piece of safety gear I recommend is a headlight modulator.
https://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=P115W-D
They go inline with the headlight bulb and are easy to install.

He should definitely take the motorcycle safety course. That course saved my life by teaching me things that I otherwise would have had to learn the hard way. They also teach you to be an amazingly defensive driver.

Start out with a 500cc or below bike. A 250cc is plenty. Try to get a cruiser style instead of a sport bike style.

Posted by: Good luck ()
Date: February 08, 2013 10:30PM

I have a passion and love for motorcycles. all of my life i have owned a street bike or dirt. I have my motorcycles in the garage now, they are for sale.
I will buy another one when I move out of this area.

I have had way too many close calls and getting rear ended by a person who was texting.
I was lucky enough to bounce off the car coming in the other direction and not getting run over. I guess lucky means only having broken bones, not in the spine.

Your son will get into an accident, Damn good chance someone will take him out because they are on a cell phone, or just a 3rd world driver.

Posted by: Legg Mason ()
Date: February 10, 2013 02:28PM

Get yourself a life insurance policy!

Posted by: NVRider ()
Date: February 24, 2013 03:17PM

I fully agree with everything in wnrsm's post.

wearing the gear and learning through the Motorcycle safety foundation (MSF) course are huge.

I've ridden in different cities, but NoVA is pretty bad. A lot of unattentive drivers, new and young drivers, and just a whole lot of traffic.

The biggest thing to worry about is his ego. I've been riding for a few years (26) and the #1 reason I've watched friends go down is because they were riding beyond their skill level..trying to be fast and look cool.

Overconfidence kills new riders.

People always want to upgrade to a bigger bike after a few months because they think they've mastered riding. 600cc sportbikes can get you into a lot of trouble and when a panic situation (think merging cars, turning cars etc) occurs, they simply haven't developed the skills to respond quickly and appropriately.

I don't know what those guys were thinking saying he needs an 800-1200cc bike, that's absurd. At least when talking about modern day sportbikes. Maybe they're thinking of older standard/ harley type bikes. But a new rider has no business on 1000cc sportbike.

the ninja 250 and now the newer ninja 300 are plenty powerful for a new rider. They still accel. faster a WRX STi 0-60, and are more than enough to keep you up and ahead of traffic without giving you 100ft of torque that will put your son on his ass.

Posted by: CBR929 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 12:07AM

Talk him out of it. Once he gets a taste, he will likely never stop riding. My last accident was totally my fault and almost killed me. I STILL got another one. Collapsed lung, broke every rib on one side, shattered scapula, dislocated shoulder. In 25 years I have totaled 3 bikes and it all started because a friend showed me how to get his old Honda out of gear without stalling. I have seen a lot of young riders die in NOVA including some I know. The only way for a younger rider to avoid serious injury is luck. They are too unexpierienced to anticipate and avoid other people's mistakes. I have had many close calls since I have grown up and learned to ride properly, but when I was young and out of control, it was just a matter of dumb luck or Gods grace depending on your beliefs. Talk him out of it. If you can't talk him out of it, beg him to take safety classes at NOVA AND track courses at Summit Point

Posted by: hockeystickenemagirl ()
Date: February 25, 2013 03:59AM

Motorcycles are the neurosurgeon full employment gift from the goddess. One can be the most responsible, safety conscious rider in 5 states and suffer not one scratch for 20 years. Then some drunken shytstain going 75 in a 35 zone ends your life on the spot. In one of those "square" automobiles you have some metal between you and that impact. Fifty years of safety engineering in your favor. Maybe just enough to survive in recoverable condition.

Your son will soon be an adult. If he wants a motorcycle let him demonstrate his emancipation and pay for it himself. Save your money to help with his medical or burial expenses.

If you object to what he wants to do grow some balls and say so.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.