HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How much to tip for AAA roadside assistance
Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: January 27, 2013 09:53AM

Given how well mannered and courteous FFXU is, I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of members here on a particular subject. How much should I tip the AAA guy for coming out to my place and changing my tire? I live about 1 minute away from a Metro station (so not in bumble-fuck) and my car was off the road in a parking lot (as opposed to on the shoulder of 495). The whole thing took him 5 minutes.

I gave him $7 because it was all I had in cash on me as a tip. I told him that when I thanked him and handed him the cash and he thanked me back and said something to the effect of 'you just paid for my breakfast, thanks'.

What's the proper etiquette for something like this?

I have you now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much to tip for AAA roadside assistance
Posted by: Heloise the Tipster ()
Date: January 27, 2013 09:56AM

I carry around in my trunk some back issues of the AAA magazine. I figure 4 maybe 5 back issues is a good tip.

Posted by: toe jamb driver ()
Date: January 27, 2013 10:06AM

I was broke down last winter 400+ miles from home and freezing my ass off on the side of the interstate. A tow truck driver towed me to a shop he recommended that was going to open the next morning then he dropped me off at a hotel and gave me a card for a local cab company that would take me anywhere I needed to go. I threw that man a 50, the guy saved my ass bigtime.

Jump start- 10 bucks

Tow- 20 bucks

Saving your ass bigtime- 50 bucks

Posted by: Capt. Reasonable ()
Date: January 27, 2013 10:06AM

Was this recently? During this bitter cold? Or August when it's 746 degrees in the shade? Daytime, nighttime? Were there lesbian zombies looking to skull fuck you with their studded strap-ons and then kill you?

$7 is fine for a 70 degree, light breeze, mostly sunny afternoon...as you said, it took him 5 minutes and after paying their AAA fees to be part of the "program" their take home is pathetic. I have a high school friend who owns a towing company locally and he stopped doing AAA calls after 5 years because it just didn't pay.

But, like a Chinese food delivery man on a shit night bringing you your hot cream of sum yung guy you have to make an allowance for the conditions and or circumstances...

Just curious...do you not know how to change your own tire? (Not a criticism or sermon...just a question.)

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: January 27, 2013 10:34AM

I pay for the AAA service every year and rarely use it. It is his job and he gets paid by AAA. I see no reason to tip.

Posted by: sorrym8 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 10:38AM

I usually tip $10-20 depending on how fast they showed up and how quickly and safely they get me and my car home. For some reason, I never break down down the street, I'm always a good 30-50 miles from home (thanks AAA Plus for covering up to 100 miles free!) All of the drivers said AAA only pays them MAYBE $40 per tow and that barely covers their gas for those big trucks! So I help them out.

Standard rates are like $50 for the hookup and $2 a mile, so if I called them myself for say a 30 mile tow I'd pay $110 out of pocket. But AAA only pays them like $40-50. This is why I tip. The only good thing about driving for AAA is there will ALWAYS be tows to do, if you are an independent person towing you just need to hope someone picks your name out the yellow pages or whatever...plus Henry's and Willow Springs have the area on lock (b/c FCPD uses them exclusively) so the smaller towing companies have a hard time drumming up business....that's why they join AAA so at least they can get SOME business.

Posted by: Mel Bops ()
Date: January 27, 2013 10:38AM

I waited 3 hours for AAA to pick me and tow me to repair shop after my tire blew out on a Beltway off-ramp. No tip.

Date: January 27, 2013 10:59AM

Capt. Reasonable Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this recently?

It was about 10 minutes before I created the thread. Certainly not 70 degrees out but not as cold as its been. Like I said, the car was in a very safe location. If I had a $10 on me I'd have given him that.

> Just curious...do you not know how to change your
> own tire? (Not a criticism or sermon...just a
> question.)

I certainly have changed plenty of tires in my day but I find it to be a pain in the ass. I'd rather pay somebody else (who knows what they are doing/does it all the time/has better equipment) to do it for me!

The way I see it is I pay the annual fee so let them provide the service.

I have you now.

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: January 27, 2013 11:05AM

Exactly, you pay an annual fee for the service. They get paid by AAA, no tip required.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: January 27, 2013 11:07AM

nothing. aaa is worthless, besides, you pay for their services, and aaa pays the two truck company. the driver is already being paid by their tow truck company, so therefore you dont need to "tip" them. tips are for waiters.

Date: January 27, 2013 11:18AM

BigK Wrote:
> Exactly, you pay an annual fee for the service.
> They get paid by AAA, no tip required.

Yep. That's what I was also thinking but wasnt sure if that's considered proper etiquette.

I have you now.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: January 27, 2013 12:00PM

i did tip a locksmith once for getting me into my truck. i was loading my truck up outside ocean city md, and had a fiberglass cover on my ford. i was putting stuff in the back, and set my keys in the bed of the truck. then i closed the top, and locked it. i then realized i left my keys in the bed. i had to call a locksmith on a sunday morning. of course the dealership wasnt open to have a new key made, which would have cost over $100. it was either stay till monday, miss work, and pay for another hotel room for a night, or call a locksmith. i called my insurance company, and a locksmith arrived about an hour later. he drilled out the locked, and used a screw driver to open it. took about 15 mins, and i could have done it myself, but i had no tools to do it. i gave the guy the last $20 i had. he didnt want it, but i insisted, and he finally gave in. my insurance paid for the lockout, but i had to later buy a new lock. normally i wouldnt tip unless its a waiter, but i was almost screwed and he saved me alot of money.

Posted by: What Tip? ()
Date: January 27, 2013 02:27PM

I called AAA the other day to troubleshoot my son's car after he left the overhead light on all night and it wouldn't start. While the guy is changing the battery, I asked my son to change two lightbulbs that I couldn't reach. All hell broke loose, with my son screaming that the screws were aggravating his chapped fingers. I had to wonder what the poor schmuck changing the battery was thinking.

Anywho...it honestly never occurred to me to tip the AAA guys. Guess maybe I should next time.

Posted by: a reader ()
Date: January 28, 2013 09:12AM

I couldn't stand paying year-after-year 10%+ raises in AAA membership with their laughably-low "included" tow mileage distance. I dumped them and registered with a no-annual-fee, as-needed roadside service. I think I have to pay $75 for a tow or a lockout service, but after calculating how much I'd hand AAA for ten years and dividing that by $75 I was clearly overpaying AAA, it wasn't even close.

I am probably more likely to hand a ten to a driver for a six-pack now than I was with AAA, where I already felt I was paying way too much. Definitely more for a "you saved my ass" rescue.

Posted by: bosssbonus ()
Date: January 31, 2013 09:35PM

30+ Motor Club Of America agents needed. $80.00 dollar commission for every person you refer. Payouts is every Friday. Motor Club of America is a roadside assistance service that offer people like you and I a money making opportunity. If you are interested in joining a strong team an have the ambitious to make from $80-1000

Email me for more info bosssbonus@gmail.com

Note: 10x better than AAA.

Posted by: Heloise the Tipster ()
Date: February 01, 2013 03:46AM

Capt. Reasonable said," Were there lesbian zombies looking to skull fuck you with their studded strap-ons and then kill you?"

Hey this sort of sounds like Capt. Reasonable has been drinking at Primetime Bar and Grill and Virgin sacrifices in the back by the waitress staff in Fairfax City. It has been a long time since I have been in the joint so they may have called in some of the folks from Walking Dead to clear out the place by now. That big screen is great though. Watching Adrian Peterson break one is fascinating even if the place ain't even close to being a sports bar.

BOO YAH!

but as the norm I digress

Posted by: just me ()
Date: February 01, 2013 01:26PM

I never considered even tipping them. I broke down in 2011 right before Christmas on 66 at the exit to 123, and thinking I had a spare tire of course the Mazda I have does not carry spare tires so the guy who came to help me change the tire had to call in a tow truck. It never occur to me to ever tip either of the guys that help me.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 01, 2013 01:38PM

I used AAA last year because I locked myself out of my car, and very recently because of a flat tire. They don't expect tips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 01:38PM by eesh.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: February 01, 2013 02:17PM

TheNorthman Wrote:
> Given how well mannered and courteous FFXU is, I'd
> be interested in hearing the opinions of members
> here on a particular subject. How much should I
> tip the AAA guy for coming out to my place and
> changing my tire? I live about 1 minute away from
> a Metro station (so not in bumble-fuck) and my car
> was off the road in a parking lot (as opposed to
> on the shoulder of 495). The whole thing took him
> 5 minutes.
>
> I gave him $7 because it was all I had in cash on
> me as a tip. I told him that when I thanked him
> and handed him the cash and he thanked me back and
> said something to the effect of 'you just paid for
> my breakfast, thanks'.
>
> What's the proper etiquette for something like
> this?

When the guy came out to change my tire, I smiled and said, "Thank you."

Posted by: dpinri ()
Date: February 12, 2013 08:24AM

Last night I needed AAA and I had to wait bc busy blizzard, I was happy to tip $40 for a 50mi tow, he was professional, extremely willing to help, while trying to lighten my mood abou my damn car...they are providing a great service and just like anything else, if the level of service u receive warrants it, u should tip!

Posted by: mark s ()
Date: August 21, 2013 05:30AM

I work for AAA and we get paid by the call and tips r good but not expected but r appreciatedany time I get them I make 8 bucks a call so summer time is good but slower months really suck

Posted by: JohnAmage ()
Date: October 16, 2013 08:01PM

If you're paying AAA for a yearly membership, proper etiquette or not - you do not have to tip the tow truck driver. He gets paid to be on call by the tow truck company AND by AAA (for emergency after hours) and that's what the AAAmembership that you purchased is for in the first place.
If you're just being kind, fine, feel free to tip him - but they're losing NO money over saving your ass. It's their job because they are paid and paid well by AAA (for the standard tow fee and fuel, fix, etc...) to do so for you.

Hope this clears things up - We're not chauffeurs. We're there to help people, esp in times of need when we know they will probably have to pay more to get their truck/car fixed, they're a rotten driver if they actually take the tip without offering it back to the customer.

Sincerely,

John Amage
Retired and
Owner P.J.'s Towing

Posted by: This is for blocking bots ()
Date: October 17, 2013 01:35AM

give him $5 hand shake if he already ate breakfst

Posted by: jim okeefe ()
Date: January 07, 2014 07:06PM

It depends on where your from and how you were brought up. I have seen that in some states of the USA this is not a question. NO TIP NECESSARY. And then if you were born and raised in a metropolitan area we are trained to tip all service personal giving you individual attention without regard, So yes, tip that guy or girl, who came out to save your ass in the freezing rain.

Posted by: nothing ()
Date: January 07, 2014 07:14PM

Nothing, 0000. It is like giving the mechanic who fixed your car a tip, where do you draw the line. I tip Dunkin Donuts, Waitresses, sometimes the guy who passes my car for inspection when I don't deserve a Pass. that's it...even millionires don't tip like that!

Posted by: TheRetardman ()
Date: January 07, 2014 10:09PM

Capt. Reasonable Wrote:
>
> Just curious...do you not know how to change your
> own tire? (Not a criticism or sermon...just a
> question.)

Retards can't change tires.
Attachments:
tire change fail.jpg

Posted by: Randall ()
Date: December 31, 2014 08:20AM

I work for a towing company that does AAA calls primarily. We don't do repos or impounds. The pay from AAA is not much compared to a cash call. I've had my own vehicle towed a few times in the past and thought the price was high until I started towing. For the hours I work per week I average about $12 an hour because of the low pay from AAA. That's not all time spent working but being on call. I've almost been hit numerous times on the side of the road and getting out of bed at 3am to change someone's tire on Christmas morning is never fun. I don't expect tips but a few dollars here and there makes the job I enjoy worth doing especially if I go out of my way to help.

If I could tip police I would. Standing on the side of the highway 3 feet from cars doing 60+ mph is a bit nerve wracking. A tow truck driver is killed once a week on the side of the road.

Posted by: venus ()
Date: January 01, 2015 02:23AM

You do not have to tip the AAA truck drivers as they get pay by their company. But it is a nice gesture to do it as they usually get you out of trouble and probably save you from a bad situation getting worse. To me is how much you have and how much you saved from your bad situation. How much you appreciate the help they provide. Let's face it, driving cars is always risky and can't compare to eating in a restaurant. If you do have the money tip them.
Twenty if they change a tire at night, or bring you gas at night. Fifty if they tow your car from the freeway or give you a jump in the middle of nowhere. Happy New year :-)

Posted by: TheSociopathman ()
Date: January 01, 2015 03:35AM

TheNorthman Wrote:
> Given how well mannered and courteous FFXU is, I'd
> be interested in hearing the opinions of members
> here on a particular subject. How much should I
> tip the AAA guy for coming out to my place and
> changing my tire? I live about 1 minute away from
> a Metro station (so not in bumble-fuck) and my car
> was off the road in a parking lot (as opposed to
> on the shoulder of 495). The whole thing took him
> 5 minutes.
>
> I gave him $7 because it was all I had in cash on
> me as a tip. I told him that when I thanked him
> and handed him the cash and he thanked me back and
> said something to the effect of 'you just paid for
> my breakfast, thanks'.
>
> What's the proper etiquette for something like
> this?

Where'd this sociopath disappear to?

Posted by: RucaDoo ()
Date: January 08, 2015 02:10AM

Called AAA. Got a 2 hour quote. Showed up exactly on time. Heavy snow and 0 degree temps. Couldn't get my engine to turn over and thought my battery had gone. Turns out it was a fuel line freeze and it just needed a little gas, but I literally would of never thought of the process that got the engine started (fuel injected car). Gave him $20 just because I was happy I didn't have to buy anything/holiday season/freezing temperatures.

Posted by: Slowdown-moveover ()
Date: January 27, 2015 03:45AM

I crawl out of bed at 2:37am after only being in it for an hour, AAA has called because John Doe has broken down on I95 so mm 163 Lorton Va he ran out of gas it's raining and he is cold, I was trying to sleep in my nice warm bed but I answer the request to take gas to Mr Doe because for what ever reason other than getting gas at any 1 of the 30 million gas stations he has passed in his recent 25 mile commute stopped him from purchasing 10 gallon to get him home, his brain over load has made the decision to postpone this purchase of fuel for his care, which would have provided heat lights and motion to maybe get him to his destination, mr doe is now sitting in his car he is scared and he has to wait 45 minutes waiting for me to get out of bed, dressed and get the tow truck started and enroute I finally get to him in 33 minute under the initial estimated time, it still raining its cold gas in & a turn of the key, click, click, click is all the car gets, it's a dead battery you need a jump too, Mr does says thank you and goes to drive off and gets a flat, so tire gets changed too, remember my initial call was for gas service only AAA pays my company $18, for the gas, and I gave you a jump and a tire change, all in one service, not three which it could have been you save 2 extra service calls, and my company lost about $42.00 for those 2 extra calls, just because I was being nice, & you don't offer a tip, yes I will remember you next time, & trust me I will stay in my warm bed, because you decided to not tip someone whom just saved you a$$ from your own stupidness.

Posted by: JoeyG ()
Date: February 19, 2015 07:57AM

I never tip for gas or a dead battery....I will tip for a tow depending on the situation.(middle of night, freezing cold, rain) but to clear everything up for you people so you don't fall pray to false information. I have copied and pasted a job post for a tow truck driver directly from AAA's website (you can easily go verify this too) and it clearly mentions how much they get paid. in todays day and age of being able to obtain information so easily, I never understand why people take the words of other rather than just verify themselves.....read on

Career Level

Experienced

Exemption Type

Job Type

Full-time

Schedule Required

Schedule to support a 24/7 hour operation. Weekend and Holiday work required. Mandatory OT when business dictates.

Job Grade

Base Compensation

$17.28-$19.44 per hour

Other Compensation

Variable

Baltimore, MD 21227 US (Primary)

Special Info

Prior automotive experience preferred

Category

Automotive

Job Description

Competencies: Mechanical/Technical

PURPOSE:

Respond to emergency road service requests from AAA members in a prompt, professional, courteous and safe manner, and provide emergency services to members' and customers’ vehicles.

Posted by: mlthe58 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 12:21AM

Thanks for the input.

Posted by: tipping boosts my self-esteem ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:20AM

Only in America.........

You are paying AAA.

Let THEM tip the people they send out to tow your car or change your tire.

Posted by: Here's a tip, Sonny ()
Date: April 22, 2015 05:35AM

Don't take any wooden nickels.

Posted by: chaserrxx ()
Date: June 01, 2016 06:15AM

I'm a AAA tow truck driver in the Bay Area California, and I make $14/hr after being here for 6 months. I started out at 13...

I sometimes work 100hours per week or more. That's under $50k/yr to have no life, live dirty (ALWAYS covered in grime), lose sleep, walk/park on fast highways or heavy traffic areas... literally risk my life and limb, just to help you, the AAA customer out of a shitty spot.

Your $5/20/50/100 dollar tip makes my entire day. I've saved trapped babies from locked vehicles, towed cars out of dangerous areas where deaths have occurred minutes later, and saved members hours of their time and lots of their energy.

If you don't want to tip you don't have to, but especially if you're really cool you'll be looked down upon afterwards if you decide not to.

Just tip your AAA driver.

Posted by: Wally ()
Date: June 16, 2016 09:44PM

I always tip AAA service. I feel the yearly fee covers prompt service and generally a fix to a generally difficult situation. When they respond to a dead battery, the diagnostic tests are done and the car is jump started or a new battery is installed. I tip these guys $20 for the help. I am greatful to be on my way without ever having to relocate to another location only taking up time as well as money. Another time I called Aaa for a blown tire on a busy interstate with a temperature of 112 degrees. I certainly didn't want to crawl around under the vehicle on the hot pavement in order to switch out the tire. Toyota Sequoias don't make the process very easy especially when fully packed for a road trip. I tipped this guy $60 because he deserved it. You don't have to be a millionaire in order to give graditude to those that will perform a job more efficiently then you would be able to. Obviously, some people place more value on the yearly fee of $50, and think that this is a large amount and should cover you for all services. I think that AAAs fee is ridiculously low and any help you can give those that come out to help is not a burden. It's the right thing to do.

Posted by: Wally ()
Date: June 16, 2016 09:49PM

I agree, and I do tip. Don't understand the total penny pinching fools that don't understand that qratuity only improves care as well as rewards those doing a task that can not be accomplished on your own.

Posted by: Car owner ()
Date: September 28, 2016 01:01PM

I just tipped the two AAA guys who replaced my dead battery $10. You don't have to tip. It is just nice.

Re: Motor Club Of America - Unlimited Roadside Assistance + Health Benefits etc....
Posted by: Archie ()
Date: October 01, 2016 10:35PM

With Motor Club Of America you will receive Unlimited Roadside Assistance and Benefits with no extra charge, for all the benefits info read the pic attached to this message. For more info and sign up if interested visit https://www.tvcmatrix.com/archiedanesh
Attachments:
image.jpeg

Posted by: Derrick ()
Date: October 02, 2016 12:16PM

Tip? Nothing. I pay for the AAA service. No one ever tipped me for doing my job .the AAA guy is paid to do a job like I was. This tip crap is way out of line.

Posted by: Mr Thickness.. ()
Date: October 04, 2016 12:00AM

No Tip Unless Some Extremely Over The Top Services Are In Play....

S

L

V

Posted by: shark tale ()
Date: February 10, 2017 02:18AM

I JUST WANTED TO FIND OUT WHAT THE FUCK AAA BATTERIES WERE USED FOR NOT LESBIAN ZOMBIE FANTASIES

Posted by: Andy Timmons ()
Date: February 10, 2017 02:32AM

I give them a Meade Skelton CD for a tip.

Posted by: xXSharkSlayerXx ()
Date: February 10, 2017 03:05AM

I'm dying Squirtle

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.