HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
A Lesson for Gravis/Dexter
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: June 27, 2008 10:05PM

Dear Dexter....a lesson so you can fit and hide in amongst the rest of mankind...

June 27, 2008
Dear Amy: My family is not sure what to say to people who routinely use the word "retard" or "retarded" to mean someone or something is stupid. The term is offensive and ignorant, especially to those who have family members, friends or other people they care about with Down syndrome.

My children frequently come across other children using this term and, worse, it's often the parents who are teaching them this through their own misuse of the word. At times my children will tell their friends that we don't say that in our home and that we prefer that they don't either. But how do we handle it when we hear it come from the mouths of adults?

We have a family member with Down syndrome who happens to be the greatest blessing and is by no means "stupid." If people think in terms of replacing "retarded" with any other term such as those based on ethnicity, sex, size, race, etc., they may view using the term differently.

—Stumped for what to say in Illinois

Amy Dickinson Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

Dear Stumped: I have noticed an uptick in the use of this word lately—which is thrown about, usually jokingly—and which I agree is insensitive and offensive. I trace some of this back to a "Saturday Night Live" skit that seemed to put this word back in play after a period of dormancy.

You don't have to have a family member with Down syndrome to ban the use of this offensive word in your home, and you shouldn't have to explain the context when telling people that you find this word objectionable.

I like what your children say when other kids use this word, and think you could take a cue from them when dealing with adults. You can say, "I really object to the use of that word and I wish you wouldn't say it in front of me."

If you don't understand something written here...please feel free to ask....politely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Lesson for Gravis/Dexter
Posted by: native/ ()
Date: June 27, 2008 10:36PM

this post is retarded.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 27, 2008 11:00PM

native/ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this post is retarded.

LOL! priceless!

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Dexter....a lesson so you can fit and hide in
> amongst the rest of mankind...

stop being retarded...

file.php?40,file=2791
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 28, 2008 12:14AM

The concept of blaming pop-slang for problems it does not create.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: June 28, 2008 12:17AM

I got banned from a teacher forum for saying this word. They got all bent out of shape and tried to tell me I should have my teaching license revoked, etc. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by: Native . ()
Date: June 28, 2008 01:57AM

Attachments:
untitled.bmp

Posted by: Counterpt ()
Date: June 28, 2008 08:50AM

Vince (1)

I actually understand your point.

The use of the word “retard” has definitely increased over the years but its meaning has changed as well. Just like other words…such as “gay”.

When the “gay” word is used in the following phrase…

“that’s so gay and retarded that you have a posting all about the use of the word retard”,

it does not mean to suggest you are gay and retarded… Right? We know, for sure, you are posting here so you are not likely to have down syndrome. And, the gay part, well, whatever floats your boat.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.