HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mittens 'Shellshocked' After Lost Election, Adviser Says
Date: November 08, 2012 09:16PM

WASHINGTON -- As Republicans search for reasons why they came up short in Tuesday's elections, anonymous Mitt Romney advisers have described what it was like to be with the former governor as he came to terms with his loss.

"He was shellshocked," one adviser told CBS News.

Another unnamed senior adviser explained that as returns came in and battleground states went into President Barack Obama's Electoral College column, they felt their paths to potential victory narrowing. CBS reports that the campaign was unprepared for this in part because it had ignored polling that showed the races favoring Obama. Instead, it turned to its own internal "unskewed" polls, which it believed more accurately reflected the situation on the ground. They didn't.

On the eve of the election, a number of polling aggregators, including HuffPost's Pollster and New York Times' FiveThirtyEight, showed Obama with a huge statistical advantage over Romney.

When it was clear that Romney had lost the race and had to concede, his personal assistant, Garrett Jackson, called his counterpart in the Obama campaign, Marvin Nicholson, to connect the two men.

As CBS' Jan Greenburg writes in her article:

Romney was stoic as he talked to the president, an aide said, but his wife Ann cried. Running mate Paul Ryan seemed genuinely shocked, the adviser said. Ryan's wife Janna also was shaken and cried softly.

The New York Times' tick-tock of the events that night at the Boston Intercontinental Hotel includes this anecdote:

Bob White, a close Romney friend and adviser, was prepared to tell the waiting crowd that Mr. Romney would not yet concede.
But then, Mr. Romney quietly decided it was over. "It's not going to happen," he said.

As Ann Romney cried softly, he headed down to deliver his speech, ending his second, and presumably last, bid for the White House.

As evidence of the Romney campaign's sincere belief that the former Massachusetts governor would emerge victorious on Tuesday night, the Boston Globe reported Thursday that it had planned to fete Romney's election with an eight-minute display of fireworks over Boston Harbor.

"It was not an intense, grand finale-type of display for eight minutes, but it certainly was a fast-paced show to cap off the evening, if it were necessary," Steve Pelkey, the CEO of Atlas Professional Fireworks Displays, told the Globe.

Romney also told reporters on his campaign plane earlier this week that while had had written a victory speech, he hadn't prepared concession remarks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/mitt-romney-lost-election_n_2095013.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mittens 'Shellshocked' After Lost Election, Adviser Says
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: November 08, 2012 09:34PM

I am so thankful we don't have a Mormon as president. I hope this is the last time someone with that warped set of a religious beliefs runs for office.

Posted by: Just Sad ()
Date: November 08, 2012 09:42PM

I always feel sorry for the losers. They are, after all, human beings (well, except for Paul Ryan). I would imagine that the wives are just glad this crap is over and they can get on with their lives. The toll on Ann Romney must have been especially hard with MS.

In any case, it's interesting to see that even Romney and Ryan were deceived by their advisors. I guess that this is what denial looks like.

Posted by: PTSD? ()
Date: November 08, 2012 10:35PM

Shellshocked is just an old-timey way of saying "post-traumatic stress disorder".

I guess he's facing a long road to recovery.

Fuck him. He failed at this once already. I don't have any sympathy for the smug bastard.

Posted by: Where are they now? ()
Date: November 08, 2012 10:46PM

Attachments:
29895089.jpg

Posted by: econ goes higher than 101 ()
Date: November 08, 2012 11:13PM

The fact the Romney really believed he has this nailed and had no doubts he would win is really really scary. Everyone not on Foxnews were saying Obama would win. America dodged a huge bullett by passing on that joker.

Posted by: Libbruhl Meedya ()
Date: November 08, 2012 11:40PM

econ goes higher than 101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The fact the Romney really believed he has this
> nailed and had no doubts he would win is really
> really scary. Everyone not on Foxnews were saying
> Obama would win. America dodged a huge bullett by
> passing on that joker.

There has been a lot of conditioning of their viewers to almost reflexively dismiss anything outside of Fox News and the approved radio and internet sources.

You can test this by saying certain things to an avid Fox viewer, and wait for the audible and visible display of discomfort.

Saying things like "bill maher" or "huffington post" or "pelosi" or "reid" or "solyndra" or "fast and furious" or any number of other hot words will evoke grunts, groans, shuffling and shifting in their chairs, rolling eyes, etc.

You don't have to say it in a sentence about anything, just those words alone will cause visible discomfort in a fox news viewer.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: November 08, 2012 11:58PM

One of the most interesting things about election night to me was that Romney told reporters around 7 p.m. that he had written a victory speech but had not written a concession speech.

This is really one of the best indications that we dodged a bullet in a microcosm. Its kind of like George W. Bush starting wars without an exit strategy.

Posted by: Wixxy ()
Date: November 09, 2012 12:06AM

Sounds like Mittens didn't surf the internet too much. He should have monitored Nate Silver's webpage.

Posted by: pants on fire ()
Date: November 09, 2012 12:41AM

eesh Wrote:
> I am so thankful we don't have a Mormon as
> president. I hope this is the last time someone
> with that warped set of a religious beliefs runs
> for office.

Liar.

You'd be the first one in line to suck Harry Reid's dick.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: November 09, 2012 05:55AM

Ito Wrote:
> One of the most interesting things about election
> night to me was that Romney told reporters around
> 7 p.m. that he had written a victory speech but
> had not written a concession speech.
>
> This is really one of the best indications that we
> dodged a bullet in a microcosm. Its kind of like
> George W. Bush starting wars without an exit
> strategy.

The above is what someone that has gone to a lot of job interviews and heard the words "I don't believe we'd make a good fit" more often than "you're hired".

Someone needs an exit strategy when running for political office?

That doesn't strike the least bit like running on a platform of defeatism?

Posted by: When you have two options ()
Date: November 09, 2012 09:51AM

SoylentGreen Wrote:
>
> The above is what someone that has gone to a lot
> of job interviews and heard the words "I don't
> believe we'd make a good fit" more often than
> "you're hired".

ha ha. I see what you did there. Insult the messenger.

>
> Someone needs an exit strategy when running for
> political office?
>
> That doesn't strike the least bit like running on
> a platform of defeatism?

There are only two outcomes when running for political office. To ignore one completely is purely denial, not the opposite of defeatism.

But that sure is a rock-ribbed, true american way to look at things -- "if I think about what I would do if I lose, I'm a pussy." -- ignoring 50% of the equation.

Posted by: Debt Zar ()
Date: November 09, 2012 10:54AM

I think all republicans are shell shocked, but being delusional is part of being a republican.

The problem is republicans live in a fantasy world of a perfect free market place. There's no such thing because companies that cheat would win.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: November 09, 2012 03:16PM

Debt Zar Wrote:
> I think all republicans are shell shocked, but
> being delusional is part of being a republican.
>
> The problem is republicans live in a fantasy world
> of a perfect free market place. There's no such
> thing because companies that cheat would win.

As evidenced by one of the world's largest and most lucrative liberal corporations..........and their propensity for cheating.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/09/virnetx-files-follow-up-patent-lawsuit-targeting-apples-latest-products/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.