HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Gnus Sniper ()
Date: October 29, 2012 10:52AM

http://news.yahoo.com/14-rescued-2-missing-tall-ship-off-nc-132009536.html

I really don't understand the Coast Guard's mission. A poor decision on your part (taking a slow ship out into open ocean with a plan of out-racing the biggest storm since Noah) does NOT constitute an emergency response on the part of the USCG.

If that call comes in and I'm in command my response is, "So, you deliberately went out in this storm? Fail. Enjoy your burial at sea. Someone who makes such a poor decision doesn't deserve to live."

Thousands of black folk die at Katrina's hand and President Bush called it "a good start". A handful of white boys are on a replica movie boat in the middle of the ocean and it's, "Katie bar the door and spare no expense to save those boys!".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Yaggo ()
Date: October 29, 2012 11:09AM

HMS Bounty sunk, 2 missing and presumed drowned.


Stupid people need rescuing all the time. Unless it is Meade, the Coast Guard is always going to do what it takes to rescue those in peril.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 29, 2012 12:00PM

Gnus Sniper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really don't understand the Coast Guard's
> mission. A poor decision on your part (taking a
> slow ship out into open ocean with a plan of
> out-racing the biggest storm since Noah) does NOT
> constitute an emergency response on the part of
> the USCG.

Actually, yes it does constitute an emergency on the part of the USCG.

So now you understand what the mission of the USCG is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Tomadove ()
Date: October 29, 2012 12:21PM

tomahawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gnus Sniper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I really don't understand the Coast Guard's
> > mission. A poor decision on your part (taking a
> > slow ship out into open ocean with a plan of
> > out-racing the biggest storm since Noah) does
> NOT
> > constitute an emergency response on the part of
> > the USCG.
>
> Actually, yes it does constitute an emergency on
> the part of the USCG.
>
> So now you understand what the mission of the USCG
> is.

As a taxpayer, if given the choice (and it's a good thing I'm not) I would not approve my money and the lives of good men and women be put at risk to rescue someone who made a poor choice. And I don't know too many other taxpayers outside of the poor decision makers' friends and families who would either. What the CG's mission is...and what it SHOULD be are two very different things.

If you're caught up in a storm that blew up out without advance notice that you could avoid it then you get rescued. Everyone else? The line for Davey Jones' locker forms over there.

In summary, if your shit sandwich was preventable then you're on your own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: October 29, 2012 12:27PM

There may have been a mutiny on the Bounty and and the mutineers forced the captain to take the boat into the hurricane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: captain b ()
Date: October 29, 2012 12:29PM

.
Attachments:
bligh.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Teabag hater ()
Date: October 29, 2012 01:54PM

Tomadove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a taxpayer, if given the choice (and it's a
> good thing I'm not) I would not approve my money
> and the lives of good men and women be put at risk
> to rescue someone who made a poor choice. And I
> don't know too many other taxpayers outside of the
> poor decision makers' friends and families who
> would either. What the CG's mission is...and what
> it SHOULD be are two very different things.

Glenn Beck and his crew have you convinced that you deserve fiduciary oversight just because you pay a few tens of thousands of dollars in taxes each year.

Your taxes wouldn't even pay one sailor's salary.

You have been misled into thinking that your taxes give you some sort of rights. So you will nitpick every expenditure, except of course when it comes to "defense" because that stuff is complicated and the world is a big scary place and we should spend more on that shit.



>
> If you're caught up in a storm that blew up out
> without advance notice that you could avoid it
> then you get rescued. Everyone else? The line for
> Davey Jones' locker forms over there.
>

I wonder how long it would take to determine whether the parties requiring rescue were just hapless victims, or if they intentionally put themselves in harm's way just to burn up all of YOUR tax payments for the next 10 years.

Maybe what they could do is require a credit card deposit when someone calls for help, and that way if it is later determined that you and the other tea party cranks do not approve, they can then charge the rescued party for the costs.


> In summary, if your shit sandwich was preventable
> then you're on your own.

But see, my threshhold of "if your shit sandwich was preventable" is different from your's. I think if you're on a boat out in open water, you should know that the possibility of sinking exists, therefore quit whining when that possibility actually occurs. Just suck it up and go down with the ship.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:21PM

Gnus Sniper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://news.yahoo.com/14-rescued-2-missing-tall-sh
> ip-off-nc-132009536.html
>
> I really don't understand the Coast Guard's
> mission. A poor decision on your part (taking a
> slow ship out into open ocean with a plan of
> out-racing the biggest storm since Noah) does NOT
> constitute an emergency response on the part of
> the USCG.
>
> If that call comes in and I'm in command my
> response is, "So, you deliberately went out in
> this storm? Fail. Enjoy your burial at sea.
> Someone who makes such a poor decision doesn't
> deserve to live."
>
> Thousands of black folk die at Katrina's hand and
> President Bush called it "a good start". A handful
> of white boys are on a replica movie boat in the
> middle of the ocean and it's, "Katie bar the door
> and spare no expense to save those boys!".

If poor decisions excluded you from help, EMS and Fire would eliminate about 99% of their calls too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: I'm in ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:40PM

I agree.

Sailed out into the open ocean in a silly wooden ship when you KNEW you were fucked? Tough..

Drove your car through a raging river because you don't know how to drive around a flooded roadway, and now you're facing certain death as water pours into your minivan? Tough...

Eat McDonald's every day until your blood is literally half fat, and now you're having chest pains and about to die from a heart attack? Sorry!

Installed your own electric ceiling fan and now your shady ass handywork has caused the insulation in your attic to burn and now you want the fire department to come save your shit? Nope!

Wore some miniskirt and braless halter top and walked around dark alley ways in a gang infested part of town and NOW you're being raped by a hundred cholos?? Sorry, cops only help the worthy!







This is a slippery slope into pandora's box of shit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Yeah! FUCK the NAVY!! ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:49PM

Gnus Sniper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://news.yahoo.com/14-rescued-2-missing-tall-sh
> ip-off-nc-132009536.html
>
> I really don't understand the Coast Guard's
> mission. A poor decision on your part (taking a
> slow ship out into open ocean with a plan of
> out-racing the biggest storm since Noah) does NOT
> constitute an emergency response on the part of
> the USCG.
>
> If that call comes in and I'm in command my
> response is, "So, you deliberately went out in
> this storm? Fail. Enjoy your burial at sea.
> Someone who makes such a poor decision doesn't
> deserve to live."
>
> Thousands of black folk die at Katrina's hand and
> President Bush called it "a good start". A handful
> of white boys are on a replica movie boat in the
> middle of the ocean and it's, "Katie bar the door
> and spare no expense to save those boys!".


You're right. I hope the navy's ships all sink out in the atlantic! Those idiots knew there was a hurricane, and they decided to get their boats out of port. Fucking idiots!


Geez. Do you think they were just out sailing and enjoying themselves? 16 people were on the Bounty. Sounds like they had only the essential crew onboard to take it to sea to avoid damage in port.

If you had any knowledge beside what you get from watching Glenn Beck rant about wasted tax dollars, you'd know that it is standard practice to go to open sea in storms.

The navy sent all of their large vessels out of port to avoid serious damage. Small boat owners who are unable to take their boats out of the water and secure them inland also take them out to sea.

It is MORE dangerous to leave the boats flopping around, moored in a small confined space like a harbor or along some dock.

Tomorrow you'll hear Glenn Beck talk about all the idiots who were too lazy to remove their boats from harbors and docks and are now crying to their insurance company, and you'll be pissed that those boat owners didn't take their boats out to see.

Luckily, your senile ass won't remember you were bitching about the ones who took to sea today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Stupidity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:19PM

US navy always takes the ships out to sea durring a hurricane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Gnus Sniper ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:23PM

@Yeah!FuckTheNavy!: There's is a WORLD of difference between the construction of a modern US Navy warship built from steel and a replica wooden tall sailing ship. The Navy's ships are built to go in harm's way...both man-made AND natural harm. That wooden tall ship was built...to look good on film.

Yes, the captain and crew of the faux "Bounty" made a decision to leave port to outrun the storm to a safer harbor but, you know what? I'm sure there was insurance on the "Bounty", right? So, leave that shit tied up and let the fucker get wrecked. TWO FUCKING PEOPLE WOULD STILL BE ALIVE, RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!!? They didn't have to die. These were preventable deaths.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:34PM

Did they see Davy Jones?




-
Attachments:
6d677ab87d886eeba847cf74a485c235.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Drrr ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:36PM

The news indicates the boat was heading south with a destination of St. Petersburg, Florida. It wasn't "outrunning" a storm. It was heading straight into it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:48PM

Drrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The news indicates the boat was heading south with
> a destination of St. Petersburg, Florida. It
> wasn't "outrunning" a storm. It was heading
> straight into it.


Well, fuck them if that's the case. If you're gonna be stupid like that then godspeed, but the USCG should't risk their lives because you're retarded. Very similar to if you're told to evacuate and you don't, why should anyone risk their lives to save your dumb ass? It's not like you didn't get ample warning to do the smart thing.

__________________________________
That's not a ladybug, that's a cannapiller.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: boater ()
Date: October 29, 2012 05:37PM

I'm very surprised that the Coast Guard went out after these people. They must have figured that it's too rough for the drug runners.

The Coast Guard is not what it used to be. They are mainly cops nowadays with little interest in saving lives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 30, 2012 01:41AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, fuck them if that's the case. If you're
> gonna be stupid like that then godspeed, but the
> USCG should't risk their lives because you're
> retarded. Very similar to if you're told to
> evacuate and you don't, why should anyone risk
> their lives to save your dumb ass? It's not like
> you didn't get ample warning to do the smart
> thing.

They should rescue stupid people because they're paid to do it. Don't like it, don't take the job. Or, better idea: give me back my tax money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Righteous Basement Hero ()
Date: October 30, 2012 06:59AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drrr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The news indicates the boat was heading south
> with
> > a destination of St. Petersburg, Florida. It
> > wasn't "outrunning" a storm. It was heading
> > straight into it.
>
>
> Well, fuck them if that's the case. If you're
> gonna be stupid like that then godspeed, but the
> USCG shouldn't risk their lives because you're
> retarded. Very similar to if you're told to
> evacuate and you don't, why should anyone risk
> their lives to save your dumb ass? It's not like
> you didn't get ample warning to do the smart
> thing.

The sailors were trying to save the ship. That's what sailors do. At least they were living the lives they wanted and not criticizing from a basement.
USCG is doing what they are trained to do and saving lives is a volunteer field, Some like the adrenalin from helping others.
If you were a real warhawk you would be doing something other than posting.
Why aren't you out helping others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Children and old cranks ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:25AM

Seriously. Only childish people and old cranky senile bastards sit in their barcaloungers criticizing.

"It was a replica ship" as if it was made out of styrofoam and papier mache.

The only guy who is still missing is the captain. Everyone else has been rescued.

At least they tried to do something by going out to open sea instead of leaving it moored in port where it could have not only been damaged, but caused damage to other boats, the docks, etc.

And to the moron who thinks heading south was a bad idea -- which direction would you go? The storm is heading north, would you rather they have followed the storm? And don't say "they should have gone east, because they were following protocol, trying to stay as close to shore as possible in order to be rescued if something catastrophic occurred.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: Salty Sailor ()
Date: October 30, 2012 10:16AM

I've never understood why "sailors" insist on taking their boats to see when the hand of God is coming down on them.

Me? I pick up the phone, call the marina and tell them to put my 248' Northern Star in the dry dock. Once I've heard it's safe, I send over pizza and beer to the harbormaster...then I pour myself a wee dram of Lagavulin and throw another log on the fire before going doodad deep in my wife's rectum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.S. Coast Guard Rescues Sailors on board "HMS Bounty"
Posted by: B O ()
Date: October 30, 2012 10:20AM

I blame Bush

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **        ********   ******    *******   **       
 **           **     **    **  **     **  **       
 **           **     **        **     **  **       
 **           **     **         ********  **       
 **           **     **               **  **       
 **           **     **    **  **     **  **       
 ********     **      ******    *******   ******** 
This forum powered by Phorum.