HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Annoying Cox b.s.
Posted by: stupid tv ()
Date: October 27, 2012 09:57AM

At least 3 or 4 times a week when I turn my TV on, for some reason it is automatically tuned in to the Cox Tutorial Channel (ch. 999). Why the heck does it do that? Most of the time it just stays on the channel I was last viewing (like it's supposed to), but it's seriously annoying how sometimes it's switched over to that worthless Tutorial crap. And no, I am not turning the cable box off, only the TV.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Annoying Cox b.s.
Posted by: Ito ()
Date: October 27, 2012 10:20AM

I don't have Cox, but my thought is that your cable box is losing power intermittently. If your lights flicker even for a second or two, that can do it.

I have had TiVo units for years and have treated them like computers. Go out and get a small battery backup unit for your your cable box -- especially if it is a DVR. You can get these for as little as $50.

A lot of people think that having a surge suppressor will save electronic equipment. The problem isn't power spikes, but brownouts. Its the little dips in power which ruins electronics and hard drives.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: October 27, 2012 03:28PM

Don't waste your time with battery backups. That's not the problem.

I had the exact same problem. I have seven boxes and they'd change channels independantly of one another and without any lights blinking or pets walking on the remote. On occasion I'd catch a message on the screen saying something about "If you want to continue watching this show, press..."

I fought with Cox for several weeks over this. They insisted I was doing something wrong because they they had rebooted all my boxes and their computer showed them working just fine.

I finally fixed the problem by tossing their shit out of the house and getting FiOS.

When the FiOS guy showed up he told me he'd come over from Cox recently. It was Cox doing it for a number of reasons. None of which made the slightest bit of sense to him. He said the last month he was there all he did was swap out boxes only to get call backs stating the problem still existed.

Posted by: stupid tv ()
Date: October 27, 2012 03:39PM

SoylentGreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On occasion I'd catch a
> message on the screen saying something about "If
> you want to continue watching this show,
> press..."

yeah i get that same message too occassionally, it's fuckin gay.

Posted by: Allah Snackbar ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:28PM

They have transitioned to switched digital video. Instead of pumping every channel to every subscriber all of the time only the requested channel is "served". Frees up bandwidth for more channels, etc. It's a good thing.

Posted by: Dish Subscriber ()
Date: October 27, 2012 08:39PM

stupid tv Wrote:
> SoylentGreen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > On occasion I'd catch a
> > message on the screen saying something about
> "If
> > you want to continue watching this show,
> > press..."
>
> yeah i get that same message too occassionally,
> it's fuckin gay.

On DISH when you get this notice...if you don't respond or hit cancel in 60 seconds, it automatically turns off the box.

Which is a real pain when you have your neighbor over for the 3rd time that week and you finally convince her after watching "Hot MILFs, Hot Anal" for an hour that taking my 2 inches in her ass will be like baking a cake. Then the box goes out from the automated message which you can't stop because you left the remote on the other side of the room and now you're doo-dad deep in the brown winkie...

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: October 28, 2012 08:29PM

Allah Snackbar Wrote:
> They have transitioned to switched digital video.
> Instead of pumping every channel to every
> subscriber all of the time only the requested
> channel is "served". Frees up bandwidth for more
> channels, etc. It's a good thing.

That still doesn't explain why they change the channel to the Cox twit telling you all about the three features they provide...... ad nauseum.

They're still pumping one channel but it's the channel of THEIR choosing.

Posted by: Jim T ()
Date: October 12, 2015 09:09AM

The "official" Cox explanation:

"0
Kudos ChrisL Posted by ChrisL
8 Oct 2013 9:59 AM
I believe that is a switched digital video channel actually. After approximate 4 hours of inactivity the box will prompt you to push select if you are still viewing the channel. If no further activity is detected the channel is shut off on our end to conserve network capacity so the box switches to a default channel.
-Chris

Cox Support Forums Moderator"

Posted by: Bud_Hoal ()
Date: October 12, 2015 09:32AM

I often leave a television on for security reasons. This feature on Cox systems created a limitation. For this and other reasons, I engaged in a simply fix - I got rid of cable. Built my own HDTV antenna and guess what? Now, I get just over forty channels of over the air TV and they are JUST as crappy as what I received via Cox cable for $100/month. Add in my Amazon Prime account and their Fire TV streamer, and I still watch movies and other programs on MY SCHEDULE.

Posted by: On Demand better service ()
Date: October 12, 2015 01:49PM

Everytime I try to use On Demand from Cox the streaming hangs, freezes, pixelates drops audio etc. The only way to stop it is to pause the movie for a few minutes and hope it stabilizes after you resume.

Really annoying and frustrating.

Cabling in the house is all new and very low-loss, high shielded, professionally installed and terminated. I even had the AV installer come over and certify each cable using some advanced Fluke meter that gave me a printout on each. Cox techs were not impressed or did not understand the readings.

It is on their end.

Sad

Wish FIOS was in my neighborhood.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.