HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
This is why you should vote for Barack Obama
Posted by: Ilryong Moon ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:52AM

As the father of two former Fairfax County Public School students, educating America’s young people is not just a topic of recent political debate — it’s deeply personal.

I believe a good education plays an essential role in preparing our children to be future leaders and productive citizens.

A good education is an economic necessity critical to restoring middle-class security, not just here in Fairfax County but across the country. That is why President Barack Obama has worked to reform student loans and expand scholarships — making higher education more attainable for Virginia’s students.

In Virginia, Obama already has made college tax credits available to an additional 231,000 students, and nearly 200,000 have received larger Pell Grant scholarships. He also has made affordable loans available to more than 175,000 hard-working students taking responsibility for their education.

Understanding that many students today are graduating from college with large debts, Obama is calling on colleges to provide a quality education while keeping tuition affordable. By making a quality education more attainable for our children, he is ensuring America stays competitive and our economy is built from the middle class out.

GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, however, supports massive cuts in education funding, which would hurt Virginia’s schools and make it harder for our students to succeed. In his first year as governor, Romney forced Massachusetts schools to take the second-largest percentage cuts in the country, which led to teacher layoffs. And now, he wants to continue that record by giving himself and his friends tax cuts at the expense of our children’s future. Romney’s budget could slash funding for K-12 and special education in Virginia by more than $100 million, which — as any teacher or parent knows — is not what our students need.

I am a product of Virginia public schools, along with my children, and we know how important it is that we continue to provide future generations with a high quality education.

We must continue to demand high standards from everyone — students, teachers, administrators, parents and communities. We also must demand high standards from our leaders. Our children’s futures are just too important.

Ilryong Moon, chairman, Fairfax County School Board

As the father of two former Fairfax County Public School students, educating America’s young people is not just a topic of recent political debate — it’s deeply personal.

I believe a good education plays an essential role in preparing our children to be future leaders and productive citizens.

A good education is an economic necessity critical to restoring middle-class security, not just here in Fairfax County but across the country. That is why President Barack Obama has worked to reform student loans and expand scholarships — making higher education more attainable for Virginia’s students.

In Virginia, Obama already has made college tax credits available to an additional 231,000 students, and nearly 200,000 have received larger Pell Grant scholarships. He also has made affordable loans available to more than 175,000 hard-working students taking responsibility for their education.

Understanding that many students today are graduating from college with large debts, Obama is calling on colleges to provide a quality education while keeping tuition affordable. By making a quality education more attainable for our children, he is ensuring America stays competitive and our economy is built from the middle class out.

GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, however, supports massive cuts in education funding, which would hurt Virginia’s schools and make it harder for our students to succeed. In his first year as governor, Romney forced Massachusetts schools to take the second-largest percentage cuts in the country, which led to teacher layoffs. And now, he wants to continue that record by giving himself and his friends tax cuts at the expense of our children’s future. Romney’s budget could slash funding for K-12 and special education in Virginia by more than $100 million, which — as any teacher or parent knows — is not what our students need.

I am a product of Virginia public schools, along with my children, and we know how important it is that we continue to provide future generations with a high quality education.

We must continue to demand high standards from everyone — students, teachers, administrators, parents and communities. We also must demand high standards from our leaders. Our children’s futures are just too

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This is why you should vote for Barack Obama
Posted by: Ilryong Moon ()
Date: September 28, 2012 11:16AM

We must continue to demand high standards from everyone — students, teachers, administrators, parents and communities. We also must demand high standards from our leaders. Our children’s futures are just too

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: September 28, 2012 11:27AM

Though I'm beginning to suspect this is being done on purpose, may I boldly suggest you simply post the URL (link) instead of trying to copy-n-paste the text?

Posted by: Born Yesterday? ()
Date: September 28, 2012 11:55AM

Olde Farte, II Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Though I'm beginning to suspect this is being done
> on purpose, may I boldly suggest you simply post
> the URL (link) instead of trying to copy-n-paste
> the text?

It's nothing but bullshit anyway. Why bother?

Posted by: Conway Eastwood ()
Date: September 28, 2012 12:26PM

tl;dr

Posted by: Good Times ()
Date: September 28, 2012 12:59PM

Actually, the easy financing is driving up the cost of education. The students and their co-signors will be on the hook for many years.

Posted by: the south will rise again ()
Date: September 28, 2012 01:11PM

Obama supports integration between straights and gays. THIS MUST BE STOPPED.

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: September 28, 2012 02:19PM

Attachments:
3208248880_84d39be5b4.jpg

Posted by: better yet ()
Date: September 28, 2012 02:56PM

Good Times Wrote:
> Actually, the easy financing is driving up the
> cost of education. The students and their
> co-signors will be on the hook for many years.

Not really Obama has promised forgiveness on the loans. If anyone is planning on taking out a student loan I would do it now.

Posted by: buck ofama ()
Date: September 28, 2012 05:16PM

sounds like moon dude has drank too much of the presidents kool-aid. he hasnt done shit to help the economy in the last four years, he screwed up my health care which is going to cost me thousands more a year and increase my tax bracket, and has pulled troops out of a terrorist ridden country that is only going to make it easier for them to attack america again. the only good thing thats happened, it bin laden is dead. i even wonder how much he really had to do with that. if you vote for him again, your just supporting this country's failure for another four years.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: September 28, 2012 05:31PM

buck ofama Wrote:
> sounds like moon dude has drank too much of the
> presidents kool-aid. he hasnt done shit to help
> the economy in the last four years, he screwed up
> my health care which is going to cost me thousands
> more a year and increase my tax bracket, and has
> pulled troops out of a terrorist ridden country
> that is only going to make it easier for them to
> attack america again. the only good thing thats
> happened, it bin laden is dead. i even wonder how
> much he really had to do with that. if you vote
> for him again, your just supporting this country's
> failure for another four years.

I firmly believe that you are an idiot. Notice how I capitalize "I" and how I capitalize the first letter of every sentence.

When Bush left office, the stock market was around 8,000. Obama has been president for a little under 4 years, and the stock market is over 13,000. Afghanistan didn't attack the US, Al-Qaeda did. Nobody really knows what the Taliban did and didn't know with regard to the the attacks.

He hasn't screwed up your health care at all. What he has done is preserve Social Security and Medicare for idiots like you for years to come.

Posted by: More Dem BS ()
Date: September 28, 2012 06:19PM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> buck ofama Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > sounds like moon dude has drank too much of the
> > presidents kool-aid. he hasnt done shit to help
> > the economy in the last four years, he screwed
> up
> > my health care which is going to cost me
> thousands
> > more a year and increase my tax bracket, and
> has
> > pulled troops out of a terrorist ridden country
> > that is only going to make it easier for them
> to
> > attack america again. the only good thing thats
> > happened, it bin laden is dead. i even wonder
> how
> > much he really had to do with that. if you vote
> > for him again, your just supporting this
> country's
> > failure for another four years.
>
> I firmly believe that you are an idiot. Notice how
> I capitalize "I" and how I capitalize the first
> letter of every sentence.
>
> When Bush left office, the stock market was around
> 8,000. Obama has been president for a little under
> 4 years, and the stock market is over 13,000.
> Afghanistan didn't attack the US, Al-Qaeda did.
> Nobody really knows what the Taliban did and
> didn't know with regard to the the attacks.
>
> He hasn't screwed up your health care at all. What
> he has done is preserve Social Security and
> Medicare for idiots like you for years to come.

Bullshit. The only thing that he's done re SS and Medicare/Medicaid is avoid any mention of it until after the election cause he knows we're fucked and there are going to have to be major changes.

Posted by: response to young curmudgeon ()
Date: September 28, 2012 06:45PM

If you think Obama has "preserved" Social Security and Medicare, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

Date: September 28, 2012 07:49PM

Let's see some evidence then, from a non-partisan source.

Date: September 28, 2012 07:55PM

@ more dems bs, your just another asshole who doesnt realize what this healthcare plan says. first off, yes, my health care is being made worse come jan 1. my insurance is going up $50 every two weeks. my health care is real good, but its going to cost alot more. also, you will also be taxed on the money your job contributes to your insurance. it will be considered taxable income. what does that mean? you will be raised into a higher tax bracket, meaning the federal gov't will take even more of your money. by the way, hope you arent old, have family who is old, or has serious health issues. under his plan, you wont be treated for something that can be treated if your old. for example, you get cancer at 70 years old and its treatable. you wont be treated because old people die, thats what they do. keep supporting obama and this country will just go further down the tubes. he has put this country 400 trillion dollars in debt in just four years. what do you have to say about that? if he is kept in office, this country will be speaking chinese after its sold to them.

Date: September 28, 2012 07:57PM

by the way, i could care less about social security. it will be long gone by the time i retire, besides, i dont pay into it anyway. i have my own retirement plans set up which are 100x better than social security. they should get rid of it, and let americans put that money into a retirement they choose.

why I'm prolly gonna vote Barack
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: September 28, 2012 08:10PM

cause he got me a dead motherfucker instead of just some stupid banner
Attachments:
mission-accomplished truth.jpg

Re: why I'm prolly gonna vote Barack
Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: September 28, 2012 09:13PM

I'm still waiting for my Obama Phone.

Posted by: more exact ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:00PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> cause he got me a dead motherfucker instead of
> just some stupid banner

Dream on. I heard one of the radicals muslims on tv saying it didnt matter if bin laden was dead as there were millions more ready to take his place. Its sad but true and a wake up to idiots like GB and others who think the end of bin laden is the end of our problems.

Posted by: frolic ()
Date: September 29, 2012 11:52AM

The Democrats took it in the ass in 2010. Now it's Obama's turn.

Gonna be movin to that $35 million home in Hawaii in January.

Posted by: Sally Drew ()
Date: September 29, 2012 01:32PM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> buck ofama Wrote:
> -----
> > sounds like moon dude has drank too much of the
> > presidents kool-aid. he hasnt done shit to help
> > the economy in the last four years, he screwed
> up
> > my health care which is going to cost me
> thousands
> > more a year and increase my tax bracket, and
> has
> > pulled troops out of a terrorist ridden country
> > that is only going to make it easier for them
> to
> > attack america again. the only good thing thats
> > happened, it bin laden is dead. i even wonder
> how
> > much he really had to do with that. if you vote
> > for him again, your just supporting this
> country's
> > failure for another four years.
>
> I firmly believe that you are an idiot. Notice how
> I capitalize "I" and how I capitalize the first
> letter of every sentence.
>
> When Bush left office, the stock market was around
> 8,000. Obama has been president for a little under
> 4 years, and the stock market is over 13,000.
> Afghanistan didn't attack the US, Al-Qaeda did.
> Nobody really knows what the Taliban did and
> didn't know with regard to the the attacks.
>
> He hasn't screwed up your health care at all. What
> he has done is preserve Social Security and
> Medicare for idiots like you for years to come.

The Taliban was providing safe haven and training grounds for Al Qaeda.
Obama sucks.

Posted by: qwerty ()
Date: September 29, 2012 02:17PM

>The Taliban was providing safe haven and training grounds for Al Qaeda.
>Obama sucks.

And then I woke up and had an original thought.

But the effort put me back to sleep again.

Date: September 29, 2012 03:04PM

buck ofama Wrote:
> @ more dems bs, your just another asshole who
> doesnt realize what this healthcare plan says.
> first off, yes, my health care is being made worse
> come jan 1. my insurance is going up $50 every two
> weeks. my health care is real good, but its going
> to cost alot more. also, you will also be taxed on
> the money your job contributes to your insurance.
> it will be considered taxable income. what does
> that mean? you will be raised into a higher tax
> bracket, meaning the federal gov't will take even
> more of your money. by the way, hope you arent
> old, have family who is old, or has serious health
> issues. under his plan, you wont be treated for
> something that can be treated if your old. for
> example, you get cancer at 70 years old and its
> treatable. you wont be treated because old people
> die, thats what they do. keep supporting obama and
> this country will just go further down the tubes.
> he has put this country 400 trillion dollars in
> debt in just four years. what do you have to say
> about that? if he is kept in office, this country
> will be speaking chinese after its sold to them.

No... not 400 trillion. Your grammar and syntax are appalling, by the way. And if you've actually spent the time to READ the bill, there's nothing about "rationing of care" or "triage". Provide a source that supports anything you say and I'll listen. Preferably a source outside of the Rupert Murdoch controlled media.

Posted by: Sean ()
Date: September 29, 2012 10:33PM

buck ofama Wrote:
> sounds like moon dude has drank too much of the
> presidents kool-aid. he hasnt done shit to help
> the economy in the last four years, he screwed up
> my health care which is going to cost me thousands
> more a year and increase my tax bracket, and has
> pulled troops out of a terrorist ridden country
> that is only going to make it easier for them to
> attack america again. the only good thing thats
> happened, it bin laden is dead. i even wonder how
> much he really had to do with that. if you vote
> for him again, your just supporting this country's
> failure for another four years.

Prisdent drove up medicade costs:
Better than having Romney repeal it and replace it with a voucher program you dumb shit.

Terrorist ridden country
Yeah bro, because our troop presence is really having an affect over there, and there are no domestic terrorists! (Fun fact, domestic terrorism is a greater threat. How many school shootings have their been in the last ten years? How many 9/11 incidents have their been in that time? School shootings is more, you fucking retard.0

If you vote for him, your (it should be you're you idiot) just supporting this country's failure
I agree, so long as you're talking about Romney

Use your brain you conservative moron

Posted by: I has cheeseburger ()
Date: September 30, 2012 12:30AM

Young Curmudgeon Wrote:

> And if you've actually
> spent the time to READ the bill, there's nothing
> about "rationing of care" or "triage". Provide a
> source that supports anything you say and I'll
> listen. Preferably a source outside of the Rupert
> Murdoch controlled media.

Coalition of 24 Medical Associations Representing More Than 350,000 Doctors: “[N]ot only does the creation of IPAB severely limit congressional authority, it essentially eliminates the transparency of hearings, debate and a meaningful opportunity for critical stakeholder input. … America’s physicians are also concerned that the strict budgetary targets and other limitations imposed on the IPAB will ultimately threaten the ability of our nation’s seniors and disabled to obtain the health care they need, when they need it.”

http://www3.aaos.org/govern/federal/issues/Medicare/IPAB_MarkUp.pdf

The American Medical Association, Representing More Than 217,000 Physicians and Medical Students: “The IPAB puts important health care payment and policy decisions in the hands of an independent body that has far too little accountability. … Adding additional formulaic cuts through IPAB is just not rational and would be detrimental to patient care, especially as millions of baby boomers enter Medicare.”

http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/washington/hr452-support-letter-27feb2012.pdf

The American Hospital Association, Representing More Than 5,000 Member Hospitals, Health Systems and Other Health Care Organizations, and Nearly 42,000 Individual Members: “America’s hospitals support the repeal of IPAB because its existence permanently removes Congress from the decision-making process, and threatens the important dialogue between hospitals and their elected officials about how hospitals can continue to provide the highest quality care to their patients and communities. … We are deeply concerned that removing elected officials from the decision-making process could result in even deeper cuts to the Medicare program in the future.”

http://www.aha.org/advocacy-issues/letter/2012/120228-let-pollack-roe.pdf

“It Is Likely that Access to Quality Care Will Be Reduced and Costs Will Be Shifted to Private Payers.” “The language of the Affordable Care Act so limits where the IPAB can make changes that all that is really left is reducing reimbursements to providers. … If circumstances bring about a mandated cut in reimbursement to providers, it is likely that access to quality care will be reduced and costs will be shifted to private payers, which only worsens an existing problem.” (Katy Beh Neas, Senior Vice President, Government Relations, Easter Seals, 3/6/12)

Washington, DC (March 6, 2012) – The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) applauded the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s passage of the Medicare Decisions Accountability Act, H.R. 452, which would repeal the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB) established in the health care reform law.

“The IPAB Serves Only to Drive More Physicians Out of the Medicare Program…Further Deteriorating Access To Healthcare Services.” “If the IPAB has any accountability, it is only to the President who appointed its members, not to the Congress, and certainly not to the American people. The IPAB serves only to drive more physicians out of the Medicare program or limit their willingness to see and accept Medicare patients into their practice, further deteriorating access to healthcare services by this vulnerable population.” (David F. Penson, M.D., MPH, Vice Chair, Health Policy Council, American Urological Association, 3/6/12)

IPAB Will Make the Development of New Medical Technologies “More Uncertain, More Costly, and Less Attractive to New Investment.” “Yet IPAB’s entire scheme is far less transparent, rigorous, and open to challenge than the average private health plan. This will have implications for patients and providers. It will also have significant implications for those developing new medical technologies. It will make that process more uncertain, more costly, and less attractive to new investment.” (Scott Gottlieb, M.D., Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, 3/6/12)

IPAB “Will Put More Systemic [Medicare] Payment Reforms Further Out of Reach.” “Owing to the way it is set up, IPAB is statutorily required to achieve its savings in the short term. This will mean IPAB can do little more than manipulate Medicare’s current price schedules and its coding process. … By ‘doubling down’ on the existing practice of simply whacking existing price schedules in order to slow spending – with no meaningful eye to how these changes impact long-term incentives -- IPAB will put more systemic payment reforms further out of reach.” (Scott Gottlieb, M.D., Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, 3/6/12)

States Cut Medicaid Drug Benefits To Save Money

By Phil Galewitz
KHN Staff Writer
JUL 24, 2012

Illinois Medicaid recipients have been limited to four prescription drugs as the state becomes the latest to cap how many medicines it will cover in the state-federal health insurance program for the poor.

Doctors fear the state's cost-cutting move could backfire on patients, who have to get state permission to go beyond the limit.

"We understand the state is trying to get its Medicaid budget under control," says Dr. William Werner, president of the Illinois State Medical Society. "But our concern is it not be a hardship for patients and a hassle for doctors in the execution."

13 States Cut Medicaid To Balance Budgets
Details: States Making Cuts To Medicaid

Sixteen states impose a monthly limit on the number of drugs Medicaid recipients can receive and seven states have either enacted such caps or tightened them in the past two years, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation (KHN is a program of the foundation). The limits vary across the country. Mississippi has a limit of two brand-name drugs. In Arkansas adults are limited to up six drugs a month.

Want more?

Posted by: NOMOBO ()
Date: September 30, 2012 09:55PM

Education is at the bottom of my list. Too much money is spent on schools and higher education should be the responsibility of the student and the parents.

Obama has been a drain on our country.

Date: October 01, 2012 09:48PM

I has cheeseburger Wrote:
> Young Curmudgeon Wrote:
> -----
>
> > And if you've actually
> > spent the time to READ the bill, there's
> nothing
> > about "rationing of care" or "triage". Provide
> a
> > source that supports anything you say and I'll
> > listen. Preferably a source outside of the
> Rupert
> > Murdoch controlled media.
>
>
> Coalition of 24 Medical Associations Representing
> More Than 350,000 Doctors: “[N]ot only does the
> creation of IPAB severely limit congressional
> authority, it essentially eliminates the
> transparency of hearings, debate and a meaningful
> opportunity for critical stakeholder input. …
> America’s physicians are also concerned that the
> strict budgetary targets and other limitations
> imposed on the IPAB will ultimately threaten the
> ability of our nation’s seniors and disabled to
> obtain the health care they need, when they need
> it.”
>
> http://www3.aaos.org/govern/federal/issues/Medicar
> e/IPAB_MarkUp.pdf
>
>
> The American Medical Association, Representing
> More Than 217,000 Physicians and Medical Students:
> “The IPAB puts important health care payment and
> policy decisions in the hands of an independent
> body that has far too little accountability. …
> Adding additional formulaic cuts through IPAB is
> just not rational and would be detrimental to
> patient care, especially as millions of baby
> boomers enter Medicare.”
>
> http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/washington/h
> r452-support-letter-27feb2012.pdf
>
>
> The American Hospital Association, Representing
> More Than 5,000 Member Hospitals, Health Systems
> and Other Health Care Organizations, and Nearly
> 42,000 Individual Members: “America’s
> hospitals support the repeal of IPAB because its
> existence permanently removes Congress from the
> decision-making process, and threatens the
> important dialogue between hospitals and their
> elected officials about how hospitals can continue
> to provide the highest quality care to their
> patients and communities. … We are deeply
> concerned that removing elected officials from the
> decision-making process could result in even
> deeper cuts to the Medicare program in the
> future.”
>
> http://www.aha.org/advocacy-issues/letter/2012/120
> 228-let-pollack-roe.pdf
>
>
> “It Is Likely that Access to Quality Care Will
> Be Reduced and Costs Will Be Shifted to Private
> Payers.” “The language of the Affordable Care
> Act so limits where the IPAB can make changes that
> all that is really left is reducing reimbursements
> to providers. … If circumstances bring about a
> mandated cut in reimbursement to providers, it is
> likely that access to quality care will be reduced
> and costs will be shifted to private payers, which
> only worsens an existing problem.” (Katy Beh
> Neas, Senior Vice President, Government Relations,
> Easter Seals, 3/6/12)
>
>
> Washington, DC (March 6, 2012) – The
> Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
> applauded the House Energy and Commerce
> Committee’s passage of the Medicare Decisions
> Accountability Act, H.R. 452, which would repeal
> the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB)
> established in the health care reform law.
>
>
> “The IPAB Serves Only to Drive More Physicians
> Out of the Medicare Program…Further
> Deteriorating Access To Healthcare Services.”
> “If the IPAB has any accountability, it is only
> to the President who appointed its members, not to
> the Congress, and certainly not to the American
> people. The IPAB serves only to drive more
> physicians out of the Medicare program or limit
> their willingness to see and accept Medicare
> patients into their practice, further
> deteriorating access to healthcare services by
> this vulnerable population.” (David F. Penson,
> M.D., MPH, Vice Chair, Health Policy Council,
> American Urological Association, 3/6/12)
>
>
> IPAB Will Make the Development of New Medical
> Technologies “More Uncertain, More Costly, and
> Less Attractive to New Investment.” “Yet
> IPAB’s entire scheme is far less transparent,
> rigorous, and open to challenge than the average
> private health plan. This will have implications
> for patients and providers. It will also have
> significant implications for those developing new
> medical technologies. It will make that process
> more uncertain, more costly, and less attractive
> to new investment.” (Scott Gottlieb, M.D.,
> Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute for
> Public Policy Research, 3/6/12)
>
>
> IPAB “Will Put More Systemic [Medicare] Payment
> Reforms Further Out of Reach.” “Owing to the
> way it is set up, IPAB is statutorily required to
> achieve its savings in the short term. This will
> mean IPAB can do little more than manipulate
> Medicare’s current price schedules and its
> coding process. … By ‘doubling down’ on the
> existing practice of simply whacking existing
> price schedules in order to slow spending – with
> no meaningful eye to how these changes impact
> long-term incentives -- IPAB will put more
> systemic payment reforms further out of reach.”
> (Scott Gottlieb, M.D., Resident Fellow, American
> Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research,
> 3/6/12)
>
>
> States Cut Medicaid Drug Benefits To Save Money
>
> By Phil Galewitz
> KHN Staff Writer
> JUL 24, 2012
>
> Illinois Medicaid recipients have been limited to
> four prescription drugs as the state becomes the
> latest to cap how many medicines it will cover in
> the state-federal health insurance program for the
> poor.
>
> Doctors fear the state's cost-cutting move could
> backfire on patients, who have to get state
> permission to go beyond the limit.
>
> "We understand the state is trying to get its
> Medicaid budget under control," says Dr. William
> Werner, president of the Illinois State Medical
> Society. "But our concern is it not be a hardship
> for patients and a hassle for doctors in the
> execution."
>
> 13 States Cut Medicaid To Balance Budgets
> Details: States Making Cuts To Medicaid
>
> Sixteen states impose a monthly limit on the
> number of drugs Medicaid recipients can receive
> and seven states have either enacted such caps or
> tightened them in the past two years, according to
> the Kaiser Family Foundation (KHN is a program of
> the foundation). The limits vary across the
> country. Mississippi has a limit of two brand-name
> drugs. In Arkansas adults are limited to up six
> drugs a month.
>
>
>
> Want more?

Okay, I understand your viewpoint. So you believe there's something inherently wrong with insuring 32 million Americans, eliminating a lifetime spending cap, and eliminating the idea of a pre-existing condition? You're against healthcare providers having to return 80% of income as benefits?

States have to make cuts to Medicaid because allotted funds are insufficient. And that's a function of the "we need to have this massive military" complex that this country has. Medicare's issue is that it overpays for drugs, by quite a large margin. A bag of saline solution costs between 6 and 8 dollars, usually. Medicare pays 16 dollars a bag.

I agree that the IPAB is a bad idea, as are most presidential oversight boards. Yes, the bill has flaws, I don't think anybody denies that. But it's better than the idea of "hey, you've a pre-existing condition, tough shit!"

The IPAB can be eliminated at any time... all Congress has to do is refuse to fund it. Which is not illegal, by the way.

Posted by: Irritated by hypocrites ()
Date: October 02, 2012 06:26AM

If this is really Ilryong Moon, then this is an abuse of your position as Fairfax County School Board Chair and this is also hypocrisy. You signed your statement with your name and your position. Clearly, your school board policies and regulations prohibit school staff from using their positions in the school to promote one party or candidate over the other, but yet you feel free to endorse Barack Obama in a public forum as Chair of the Fairfax School Board. Are you speaking on behalf of Fairfax County Public Schools? Can one assume that you are attempting to indoctrinate our children with your political ideology during regular school functions? I would take no issue with you signing off as "Ilryong Moon, private citizen" but you signed "Ilryong Moon, chairman, Fairfax County School Board." Also, on September 28 at 10:52 a.m. were you at your Fairfax County School Board office, using Fairfax County School network and resources to campaign for Barack Obama?

Posted by: Hugo Chavez ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:13AM

Both I and Fidel Castro have endorsed Obama. Vote for Obama and bring the same prosperity to the USA that we've brought to our workers' paradises! What more reason do you need to vote for our close friend and fellow dictato... uh. ally, Obama?

Posted by: fire yourself ()
Date: October 02, 2012 09:16AM

Obama move on defense layoff notices 'patently illegal'

Obama is hiding this news to keep you uninformed. Obama is going to lay off 200,000 "folks" in NOVA and MD. The Maryland voters are in the bag but Virginia is too close to call therefore obama does not want you to know he is taking your job. So if you vote for OBAMA you just FIRED YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The layoff notices have become a politically charged issue because they could have come just four days ahead of the election because of a 60-day notice required by federal law for mass layoffs.

Posted by: Towanda! ()
Date: October 02, 2012 10:57AM

Obama prevented a complete meltdown of the US economy.

Obama ended DADT.

Obama withdrew US troops from Iraq.

Obama prevented the collapse of the US auto industry.

Obama ordered bin Laden killed.

Obama ordered drone attacks that have killed hundreds of al-Qaeda leaders.

Obama supports marriage equality.

Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

Obama has kept us safe for 3.6 years.

Obama has masterfully navigated us through international crises.

Obama gets my vote.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 02, 2012 11:14AM

Towanda! Wrote:
> Obama prevented a complete meltdown of the US
> economy.

TARP worked, the Stimulus FAILED. May have "prevented a complete meltdown" but set the stage for a PARTIAL MELTDOWN.. Unemployment is too high, GDP and growth are way too low to consider Obama even a marginal success.

> Obama ended DADT.

Great if you like that sort of thing...

> Obama withdrew US troops from Iraq.

Possible because of the surge he OPPOSED.

> Obama prevented the collapse of the US auto
> industry.

He put a bandaid on a deep wound. GM stock is in the toilet and they still owe taxpayers tens of billions. Put you $ where your mouth is and buy GM stock if you think GM is saved.

> Obama ordered bin Laden killed.

And had the information about his location because of the enhanced interrogation techniques Obama opposed.

> Obama ordered drone attacks that have killed
> hundreds of al-Qaeda leaders.

Good for him, but how are executive KILL LISTS without trials better than waterboarding or Gitmo as Barry denounced?

> Obama supports marriage equality.

After not supporting it for the first three years of his term and not supporting it during the referendrum that banned it in NC.

Fearless leader?

No....Opportunist poser.

> Obama signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.

OK

> Obama has kept us safe for 3.6 years.
Because bombs malfunctioned and failed to go off in Times Square and on jetliners. He's been lucky, not good. And I wouldn't tell the dead at Ft Hood he kept them safe.

> Obama has masterfully navigated us through
> international crises.

Egypt and Libya are in the hands of Muslim extremists, no?
> Obama gets my vote.

DO you like sustained 8% UNEMPLOYMENT?

Posted by: Blowbama ()
Date: October 02, 2012 11:48AM

Towanda! Wrote:
> economy.

8+% Unemployment. $5 Trillion added to the national debt. Running a TRILLION dollar deficit every year in office. $787 Billion failed stimulus. Stagnant GDP growth. Need I go on?

> Obama ended DADT.

Thuper!

George W. Bush had made that agreement on December 14, 2008. Obama simply honored the US commitment.

> industry.

No, he took it over and the US government purchased a bunch of Volts at a loss to the taxpayer.

Bush ordered him killed too. Obama just happened to be President when the SEAL team executed their orders.

Including US citizens. Should US Citizens be executed without trial or sentencing? Is this what we have come to?

So?

And workplace discrimination ended immidiately!

I am sure Ambassador Stevens and his family feel he was kept safe. I am sure the victims at the Fort Hood terrorist attack feel they were kept safe. I am sure that the victims at the military recruiting center in Little Rock, Ark., on June 1, 2009 feel that Obama has kept them safe.

> international crises.

Benghazi? Egypt? Iran? If that is masterful, I would hate to see what a failure looks like.

> Obama gets my vote.

You are an idiot.

Posted by: Also Irritated by hypocrites ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:01PM

The Loudoun Board of Supervisors is up to the same tricks...via Alert.Loudoun.gov
================================================================================
Recently, allegations have been made in the media regarding the use of Board staff aides and other government resources for political fundraising by a member of the Board of Supervisors. These allegations, if true, are at least a violation of county policy and are being taken seriously by the Board. The County’s policy for staff aides clearly states that “political activity must not occur using County property or during County paid time.”

When the Board’s leadership team was made aware of these allegations against Supervisor Delgaudio, we asked that the complaint filed against Mr. Delgaudio be given to the Loudoun County Commonwealth Attorney Jim Plowman for review. Mr. Plowman then referred the matter to the Commonwealth Attorney’s office in Arlington for an independent assessment. Based on the information provided at that time, the Arlington’s Commonwealth Attorney did not recommend pursuing any charges against Mr. Delgaudio.

It has also been alleged in recent news articles that the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is also looking into this matter. At this time, the Board, County Administration or the County Attorney has not been contacted by the FBI.

This Board believes it is incumbent upon any Board of Supervisors to operate with the highest of ethical standards and conduct. Regardless of any ongoing investigation by an outside party, it is imperative that this Board investigate this matter to ensure the integrity of the Board of Supervisors, and take
action if a member of the Board has violated those standards.

To that end, at this Wednesday’s regularly scheduled business meeting, the Chairman will request that the Board vote to conduct its own independent investigation into this matter. Further, the Chairman will ask that the Board have the Finance, Government Services & Operations Committee do a thorough review of all Board Aide Policies.

# # #

Media Contact: Anna Nissinen, Public Affairs and Communications Officer, 703-777-0113; anna.nissinen@loudoun.gov

Sent to E-mail accounts, Pagers, Cell phones through Alert Loudoun
... powered by the Roam Secure Alert Network

Posted by: suzy ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:16PM

I know the reason I am voting for him
Attachments:
Free Stuff.jpg

Posted by: Hippo Krits ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:18PM

Irritated by hypocrites Wrote:
> If this is really Ilryong Moon, then this is an
> abuse of your position as Fairfax County School
> Board Chair and this is also hypocrisy. You
> signed your statement with your name and your
> position. Clearly, your school board policies and
> regulations prohibit school staff from using their
> positions in the school to promote one party or
> candidate over the other, but yet you feel free to
> endorse Barack Obama in a public forum as Chair of
> the Fairfax School Board.

Yes, Ilryong Moon's letter was printed in Fairfax Times or some other paper a couple of weeks ago. Can't find the link.

Posted by: Another reason to vote for BO ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:19PM

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Date: October 02, 2012 08:53PM

Towanda! Wrote:
> economy.

Agreed, people scream that the stimulus failed. The majority of the stimulus money still hasn't been spent. He's done some things well, and others poorly. We need to have a WPA style program to help with the unemployment; furthermore, a possible result of this is infrastructure improvement.

> Obama ended DADT.
Jury is still out on this. Gays/Lesbians/whatever else they're called have been in the military for years. DADT is kind of a joke... you don't think soldiers know the gender preferences of their buddies? Of course they do, it's part of being comrades. Most don't care, repealing DADT was pandering to a lot of the gay/lesbian left-wingers, like that woman who may win the Senate race in Wisconsin (Baldwin?).

Situation has been untenable for years, Obama merely fulfilled an agreement that Bush made earlier.

>
> industry.

In some ways yes, in others no. Chrysler still went under. GM is doing better, but still posted a loss. Ford posted a loss in 2010, and I haven't looked at the 2011 financials yet. The Volt is a good idea, but there are issues with the actual production. However, the auto industry is (by and large) doing better right now than it was prior to Obama.
>
Because Hillary Clinton forced him to. He had two or three other opportunities. Believe me, he didn't order him killed willingly. Sending in the SEALS could've been a disaster.

Which have been violations of Pakistani sovereignty, for the record. You can't attack targets in other countries legally. Is it good that these men are dead? Yes, absolutely. Drones are a BAD way of doing it.

Again, depends how you see it. Personally, I don't think that gay marriage should be called marriage. They should enjoy all the same protections/legal rights/whatever, but it's a "civil union". Marriage is between a man and a woman. Not between two men, nor between two women.

Fair pay is great. The bill really doesn't do anything but allow a lawsuit to be filed within 180 days of the last paycheck. The cycle restarts every paycheck. That's not really "groundbreaking", it just allows lawsuits to be filed. In our litigious society, that isn't necessarily a good thing.

At home, somewhat. You can claim random acts of terrorism, but that's not exactly controllable. You can say Bush failed to keep us safe because of the knowledge that there would be some attack on the US; as a result, he could have taken steps to better protect the nation. Same argument can be made for William McKinley, even though he waged several wars disguised as "interventions". Not so much abroad, E.G. the death of J. Christopher Stevens, among others.

> international crises.
No, he hasn't. His handling of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been generally inept. Iran grows closer to having atomic weapons with each passing day. North Korea has become somewhat U.S. friendly because Kim Jung Il is dead. His son, Kim Jung Un appears to be far more receptive to US policy. He helped hasten Mubarak's fall, and now Egypt is a mess. Morsi is an unknown factor. He helped eliminate Gaddafi in Libya, but he may have put something far worse in its place (a feudal, tribal society)

> Obama gets my vote.
He gets mine as well, though not because of any particular prowess in anything. If there was an actual third party candidate (one who stood a chance of winning), he'd get my vote. Obama has been Jimmy Carter, part II. He's lucky that the GOP can't put anyone better than Mitt Romney up against him. He's also lucky that the Republican Party's base is very right-wing. As a result, Romney would have to contradict himself numerous times in order to win.

Posted by: Steve the Rat ()
Date: October 02, 2012 11:09PM

And so the justification begins...

At least they're admitting it now.

==========

Beyond Obamacare
By STEVEN RATTNER (Former Obama advisor who was lead on the GM bailout)
Published: September 16, 2012

WE need death panels.

Well, maybe not death panels, exactly, but unless we start allocating health care resources more prudently — rationing, by its proper name — the exploding cost of Medicare will swamp the federal budget.

But in the pantheon of toxic issues — the famous “third rails” of American politics — none stands taller than overtly acknowledging that elderly Americans are not entitled to every conceivable medical procedure or pharmaceutical.

Most notably, President Obama’s estimable Affordable Care Act regrettably includes severe restrictions on any reduction in Medicare services or increase in fees to beneficiaries. In 2009, Sarah Palin’s rant about death panels even forced elimination from the bill of a provision to offer end-of-life consultations.

Now, three years on, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, Paul D. Ryan, has offered his latest ambitious plan for addressing the Medicare problem. But like Mr. Obama’s, it holds limited promise for containing the program’s escalating costs within sensible boundaries.

The Obama and Ryan plans are not without common ground; both propose an identical formula for capping the growth in Medicare spending per beneficiary. And both dip into the same toolbox (particularly lower payments to providers) to achieve a reduction of nearly $1 trillion in Medicare expenditures over the next decade from projected levels.

That’s where the agreement ends. Mr. Ryan believes that meeting the goal over the long term requires introducing more competition into Medicare through vouchers to purchase private insurance.

But Ryan’s approach was rendered toothless when the issue’s brutal politics forced him to retreat from his initial tough plan to simply cap the growth in government spending on Medicare and stick the inevitable overage onto beneficiaries. Under his revised plan, private insurers would be required to offer the same level of benefits as traditional Medicare, meaning that any savings would have to come from unidentified efficiencies (the ever-popular “waste, fraud and abuse”).

If the cap was breached — as it almost certainly would eventually be — Mr. Ryan blithely says, “Congress would be required to intervene.” Fat chance; Congress regularly does the opposite when it rolls back caps on payments to doctors and hospitals.

Meanwhile, Mr. Obama’s hopes for sustained cost containment are pinned on a to-be-determined mix of squeezing reimbursements, embracing a selection of the creative ideas that have spewed forth from health care policy wonks and scouring the globe for innovations.

To Mr. Obama’s credit, his plan has more teeth than Mr. Ryan’s; if his Independent Payment Advisory Board comes up with savings, Congress must accept either them or vote for an equivalent package. The problem is, the advisory board can’t propose reducing benefits (a k a rationing) or raising fees (another form of rationing), without which the spending target looms impossibly large.

That’s the view of the bipartisan Medicare trustees, whose 2012 report stated: “Actual future Medicare expenditures are likely to exceed the intermediate projections shown in this report, possibly by quite large amounts.”

To be sure, health care cost increases have moderated, in part because of the recession and in part because Medicare has been tightening its reimbursements. But those thumbscrews can’t be tightened forever; Medicare reimbursement rates are already well below those of private providers.

Let’s not forget that with the elderly population growing rapidly, even if cost increases for each beneficiary can be contained, Medicare would still claim a rising share of the American economy.

Medicare needs to take a cue from Willie Sutton, who reportedly said he robbed banks because that’s where the money was. The big money in Medicare is not to be found in Mr. Ryan’s competition or Mr. Obama’s innovation, but in reducing the cost of treating people in the last year of life, which consumes more than a quarter of the program’s budget.

No one wants to lose an aging parent. And with price out of the equation, it’s natural for patients and their families to try every treatment, regardless of expense or efficacy. But that imposes an enormous societal cost that few other nations have been willing to bear. Many countries whose health care systems are regularly extolled — including Canada, Australia and New Zealand — have systems for rationing care.

Take Britain, which provides universal coverage with spending at proportionately almost half of American levels. Its National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence uses a complex quality-adjusted life year system to put an explicit value (up to about $48,000 per year) on a treatment’s ability to extend life.

At the least, the Independent Payment Advisory Board should be allowed to offer changes in services and costs. We may shrink from such stomach-wrenching choices, but they are inescapable.

Steven Rattner, a contributing opinion writer, was a counselor to the Treasury secretary in the Obama administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/opinion/health-care-reform-beyond-obamacare.html

Posted by: Laura's friend ()
Date: October 03, 2012 12:28AM

frolic Wrote:
> The Democrats took it in the ass in 2010. Now
> it's Obama's turn.
>
> Gonna be movin to that $35 million home in Hawaii
> in January.

Is that you, Mark?

Posted by: Fidel Castro ()
Date: October 03, 2012 08:03AM

Obama has embraced my socialist policies and curtailed individual rights and freedom. He has my vote!

Posted by: Karl Marx Brothers ()
Date: October 03, 2012 08:05AM

Socialism will work if we keep trying it long enough

Date: October 03, 2012 08:11AM

more exact Wrote:

>
> Dream on. I heard one of the radicals muslims on
> tv saying it didnt matter if bin laden was dead as
> there were millions more ready to take his place.
> Its sad but true and a wake up to idiots like GB
> and others who think the end of bin laden is the
> end of our problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, cause since Obama's been in office, we've has so much terrorism happen on US soil, right?

"but Gordo, I heard on TV that it doesnt matter!!! Duuuurrrr......!!! So cause one person says it doesnt matter, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!"

Me, I'll stick with what I see with my own eyes..........which is the simple fact that the guy who's been PERSONALLY ATTACKING THE UNITED STATES THE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS was killed under his watch. Clinton didnt do it. Bush COULDNT do it. Obama did it. And since then, nobody's been blowing up stuff here in the US.

pic unrelated
Attachments:
newsweek.jpg

Date: October 03, 2012 08:17AM

p.s. seriously, though - still havent made up my mind. If someone gave me reasons why I should a) ignore Romney's "I hate everyone not white and not kinda rich" speech and b) seriously give me reasons (non-partisan and non-racist) why I should vote for the guy, then maybe I would.

But I'm not going to vote AGAINST someone. That's just pathetic. You are supposed to vote FOR someone, not AGAINST. That's as stupid as driving your car backwards. Sure you can do it, but it's not designed that way.

Posted by: Bumstead ()
Date: October 03, 2012 09:46AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> p.s. seriously, though - still havent made up my
> mind. If someone gave me reasons why I should a)
> ignore Romney's "I hate everyone not white and not
> kinda rich" speech and b) seriously give me
> reasons (non-partisan and non-racist) why I should
> vote for the guy, then maybe I would.

Both sides have racists in their midst. The Republicans have some Tea Party birthers and the Democrats have blind loyalty from the black community and will play the race card as a political crutch.

> But I'm not going to vote AGAINST someone. That's
> just pathetic. You are supposed to vote FOR
> someone, not AGAINST. That's as stupid as driving
> your car backwards. Sure you can do it, but it's
> not designed that way.

Obama is asking people to vote against Romney instead of for him, he is not running on his record or acheivments at all. None of Obama's TV advertisements tout his accomplishments.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.