HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
syndicated airings of The Big Bang Theory on channel5/20
Posted by: col. blake ()
Date: September 27, 2012 04:10AM

I try to watch the show about twice a week, that Penny is loaded for bear, but it sure seems like they show a small grouping of shows from the full series. Watched last night and it was the Physic Bowl episode. I've seen that episode probably 3 times in the last 4 months,and I watch twice a week. Is channel 5 being cheap by running the same episodes over and over again? Or has some ad agency done some kind of analysis on certain episodes in the series that they can selll beaucoup commercials for the show?

Did the actor who played Kripke really quit the show?
Never cared for Raj's hooked nosed bitchy sister.
Never cared for the emphasis on the female trio of Penny, Amy Farah and Bernadette,that voice gets on my nerves after awhile.

More scenes between Penny and Sheldon!
Like I said that Penny is loaded for bear

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: syndicated airings of The Big Bang Theory on channel5/20
Posted by: @0l ()
Date: September 27, 2012 04:11AM

What is loaded for bear?

Date: September 27, 2012 05:16AM

That Sylvia Jaffe was loaded for bear
Attachments:
sylvia jaffe.jpg

Posted by: Anneal ()
Date: September 27, 2012 11:06PM

Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are in heavy reruns on cable. They are running these shows 2 or 3 hours per day on multiple channels so they are cycling through all the episodes every 2 weeks.

Posted by: TV Businessman ()
Date: September 27, 2012 11:24PM

You nearly answered your own question, OP...

Television and this goes double for syndicated television, is all about selling ads. You could have the greatest show of all time but if you don't get ratings, you don't sell ad time and the show dies. A great example of this was "Arrested Development". Quite simply, one of the smartest shows ever written and filmed. But, lots of dumb people watch TV between New York City and Los Angeles. Yes, it's coming back (after SIX years of being off the air) but even then it's only being shown via Netflix.

It used to be a hit show came along and then local channels purchased syndication rights to re-air entire seasons. The ratings data has been collected for some time now where seasons can be broken down episode by episode to determine how high specific episodes scored on the ratings. Syndicating stations started sending messages to the networks essentially stating...If this episode didn't score well the first time it aired (meaning not as much cash was made on ads), why would I re-air it in syndication? Why would I buy the whole season when I know you had episodes that tanked on ad sales?

So, the business model now is..."Hey CBS...gimme your top 5 Big Bang Theory episodes and if they do well then maybe we'll buy more...". And in closing, even this model is starting to die and it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why would I watch re-runs (DVR assisted or not) when I can watch them on the network's website, Netflix or if I'm a real jihadist of the show buy the whole season on DVD or Blu-Ray?

Date: September 29, 2012 08:15AM

thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was odd when I'd come across some other syndicated sitcom like Everybody Loves Raymond which I hadn't watched in awhile and yet would be an episode I'd seen before. I thought what are the chances of that happening. When it happened several times I figured they just ain't showing the whole series anymore.

Sounds like the days when a sitcom got syndicated after a 100 episodes for big bucks are sort of over and why shows that haven't made the 100 number are regularly getting syndicated these days

of course it means less variety for the viewer. Seems like more and more of that going around these days. Heck even on public television.

Posted by: TV Businessman ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:07PM

It also used to be the case that re-runs were used as an opportunity to create more fans of a show or enable fringe fans to get caught up. Maybe you liked "Simon and Simon" but you watched "Quantum Leap" because you thought it was a better show in the same time slot. Summer arrived and now you can watch "Simon and Simon"...

Modern technologies...even the advent of ancient technologies like the VCR with its "watch here...tape there" capabilities, have turned re-runs into simply a space filling opportunity for local stations.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:14PM

Rerun died in 2003.

Posted by: Community Rules ()
Date: September 29, 2012 12:32PM

I would rather masturbate with sandpaper than watch the Big Bang Theory. That show is more stale than bread left out for a year.

Date: September 30, 2012 07:49AM

"...tape there" capabilities, have turned re-runs into simply a space filling opportunity for local stations."

and thus brought about the age of infomercials. Seems like channel 20 is very close to having more infomercial programming than actual programs. Since Fox bought channel 20 they've steadily scaled back programming. No movies anymore, no local programming at all. Why Saturday night they started with the infomercials at 11:30 p.m. Geez that isn't the old channel 20. Seems like tyler perry, steve harvey and oodles of judge shows already shown earlier in the day on channel 5 fills the channel 20 schedule these days. Does seem like local Fox is just filling the time

Date: October 05, 2012 03:24PM

Holy cow! I turn on Big Bang last night on channel 5 7:30 p.m. for first time this week and its an episode I saw just a few weeks back in my irregular viewing habits of the show. Moved on.
Then returned to CBS channel 9 at 8.p.m. for new viewing. The show seems tired and repetitious except for the Sheldon character. Spin off? Include Penny in the spin off, who finding lack of success in getting acting parts takes a job at a go-go club. Penny in a bikini and Sheldon comes by frequently with questions for Penny.
Sheldon slips a buck down Penny's g-string and orders virgin shirley temple's and the occasional lap dance so the bouncer won't bounce him

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.