HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Giant on Jermantown Road(Fairfax City) becoming a Target
Posted by: que? ()
Date: September 13, 2012 09:58PM

Between the HMart east of Jermntown on Fairfax blvd. and the relatively new Walmart down Jermantown, business(which wasn't all that great before) has dropped off to almost nothing at this Giant grocery store. Drive by the Hmart most nights and the parking lot is packed while the giant has a trickle of business.

Maybe the Kmart just might hold on. New arrivals looking for some variety from the Walmart.
Of course maybe a superMat might takeover and do battle with the Hmart and Walmart and Target.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Giant on Jermantown Road(Fairfax City) becoming a Target
Posted by: Kamp Washingtonian ()
Date: September 14, 2012 08:12AM

On the downside, we have lost two "real" grocery stores in one year. On the upside, there is no reason to go to Fair Lakes ever again.

Where did you hear this?

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: September 14, 2012 10:24AM

I too am suspicious. The square footage seems inadequate for what Target usually has and any expansion would decrease the available parking.

Also the Tagert in Fairlakes is just one exit down from the Giant on Jermantown is.

Posted by: nogiant ()
Date: September 14, 2012 10:28AM

I honestly believe giant won't exist in 5 years. They have all these benefits to pay out to employees back when Cohen owned the company, there going to end up in the same situation GM was in.

Posted by: GroceryGuru ()
Date: September 15, 2012 05:31PM

That location is horrible for anything...grocery store, hardware store (remember it was a Hechinger before they moved to Fair Lakes), anything.

The intersection is a P.I.T.A. to navigate and the only way to get into the Giant parking lot while heading East on 50 is to wait at the light and turn on Jermantown then try and cross the line of traffic backed up at the Germantown/50 light.

The only time I ever shopped there was when I was coming home from work and was passing by. Definitely not a place I go out of my to get to.

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: September 15, 2012 07:13PM

I live very close, and do most of my grocery shopping at that Giant; it's nice because they're never that busy on a Saturday. I shopped there today, and there are no indications that the store is closing or that a Target is moving in.

Posted by: Hey Do Do ()
Date: September 15, 2012 07:23PM

The Giant is that huge guy that stands at the corner. He's a Target, because he's acting weird and scaring people. He's gonna get blasted by somebody with a short fuse and a hair trigger.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: September 16, 2012 04:33PM

nogiant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I honestly believe giant won't exist in 5 years.
> They have all these benefits to pay out to
> employees back when Cohen owned the company, there
> going to end up in the same situation GM was in.

Unions. Another reason to vote against.

Posted by: Biggmacc ()
Date: September 16, 2012 04:52PM

I have worked for giant going on 30 years and if it was not for the union Giant would have me working 70 hours a week for the same pay. Times were much better when Cohn was still around. Giant losing customers because of our ownership not the union.

Posted by: I'm not Izzy Cohen ()
Date: September 16, 2012 10:54PM

Biggmacc Wrote:
> I have worked for giant going on 30 years and if
> it was not for the union Giant would have me
> working 70 hours a week for the same pay. Times
> were much better when Cohn was still around. Giant
> losing customers because of our ownership not the
> union.

Hmm, how about more competition too - with nicer stores and lower prices. Remember when it was Giant, Safeway and Shoppers? Now it is Giant, Safeway, Food Lion, Wegmans, Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter, various Asian grocery stores, etc. I agree that Ahold has not kept Giant up but blaming solely on ownership just isn't telling the whole story.

By the way, the Germnatown Road Giant has not been remodeled since the mid-late 90s. Every other Giant around has been rebuilt, remodeled or has a plan to remodel. Usually lack of updates means the store is on the short list to close. Look at the Safeway in Centreville. Never remodeled and it closed.

Posted by: Pig Bladder ()
Date: September 17, 2012 07:39AM

That Jermantown location has always been a bad choice. Even 15+ years ago when GIANT moved from their original spot ,where the Borders use to be at Kamp Washington shopping center, Jermantown traffic has been bad due to the light at route 50. But now the HMart and the opening of the WalMart is really killing the place.

I've shopped at Oakton GIANT from time to time for many years and noticed that the last vestiges of long time employees have dissaperaed in the last few months. They have been replaced by foreigners. Are the new arrivals encouraged by management to opt out of the union? Or not joining the union is not allowed?
Many of the old timers were maybe in their early 50's so I wouldn't think retirement was the reason for their disappearance. Does management make things so unpleasant for old timers trying to get them to quit and then hire new folks at way lower wages?

Posted by: Gigantor ()
Date: September 17, 2012 08:45AM

Definately not a destinaton shopping place for me. If I am on Jermantown heading past it and need to pick something up and I can make an easy right turn, I will go, but otherwise, nah. With the Food Lion closing nearby that should help, but it won't. There is no other reason to go there since it is a stand alone store.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: September 17, 2012 11:12AM

Biggmacc Wrote:
> I have worked for giant going on 30 years and if
> it was not for the union Giant would have me
> working 70 hours a week for the same pay. Times
> were much better when Cohn was still around. Giant
> losing customers because of our ownership not the
> union.

Does Giant own your own soul something? In a free market place you a are free to seek new employment. Especially around here where is not shortage of jobs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.