HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Worst HOA Management Company Ever
Posted by: Hate HOAs ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:11PM

Sequoia Management out of Chantilly. They are the WORST. Every person I've ever dealt with is rude, completely unhelpful and seem to enjoy being anal pricks. The lady for our commmunity is argumentive with the board and the homeowners. I don't understand why they put up with this company.

All they do is nitpick dumb "violations" and hit you up with 10 or 50 dollar fines every few weeks. They actually fined my neighbor for bird poop on his lightpole. Seriously? It was three blobs about the size of a quarter. But around the corner some guy has a playset and patio furniture in a common area and he's had it for over 5 years. Seems to be a petty shakedown company as far as I'm concerned especially if big violations don't get enforced but dumb little ones do.

Check out their reviews online. There isn't one positive review. Don't let them take over your HOA management contract.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst HOA Management Company Ever
Posted by: Huhhh? ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:59PM

Hate HOAs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> They actually fined my neighbor for bird poop on
> his lightpole. Seriously? It was three blobs
> about the size of a quarter.

Wut? lol

I couldn't deal with that kind of crap (no pun intended).

Posted by: I AGREE ()
Date: August 29, 2012 01:03PM

They cited me and ALL the neighbors on my block for rust on the concrete-you know, where the railing meets the steps to the front door there is a little rust spot there.....how petty is THAT???

Posted by: Huhhh? ()
Date: August 29, 2012 01:13PM

That is ridiculous.

Can you vote them out? I'd assume that there's some contract involved. Must be some out clauses?

Even getting some folks together and letting them know that you're thinking about it might get some better reaction.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: August 29, 2012 01:29PM

LOL. At first I thought this thread would be about petty butthurt griping, but our development has had sequoia for the last 3 years and they SUCK!!! I could write a novel on their unwaivering pettiness, bitchiness, and overall shitty demeanor to homeowners. They are horrible. I looked at the online reviews and their isn't one good one. Do HOA's even do any research when considering management contracts?

Posted by: Ruiz ()
Date: August 29, 2012 01:30PM

Have you ever been to the office or have seen any of the girls from sequoia ?

They are all wear high heels short skirts and cleavage shirts. Gotta like that except they got no boobs and are the ugliest chicks alive.

Ok maybe after 6 beers id do them.

Posted by: George Allen in 2012 ()
Date: August 29, 2012 02:20PM

But I'll bet you can hang a noose outside or burn a cross. After all, doesn't George Allen own the building?

Posted by: Pakistani Savage ()
Date: August 29, 2012 02:32PM

I've been driving property values down here in NOVA since 1977. Here's the thing with HOA's...they will piss, they will moan, they will call you, they will email you, they will put notes under your door...but as soon as they realize it'll cost them legal fees to take action against me for letting my grass grow, giving my dogs extra sausage and then letting them shit in everyone ELSE'S yards, not painting frequently enough and so on...they give it because it's not worth it. I've rung up nearly $100,000 in HOA fines over the last 35 years and I've never paid them a dime...and I'm still here...and they can't do anything about me or my house.

HOA rules are unenforceable. They are written in strong language that make you fear consequences in order that residents comply but they are unenforceable.

This whole thing started when a boy with a BB gun shot out my porch light. My house was built in 1962. They stopped making the light fixture in 1975. I went ahead and replaced it with something much nicer with the same burnt-brass finish from the same manufacturer but because the board wasn't consulted they've said my light is non-compliant. That was 25 years ago. They talk to me every year about it and levy more and more fines and the situation doesn't change. They threaten to pursue a lien and my response is, "I am waiting to die...". And to that I say, bring your lien. I have no one to leave my home to so when I die, if you want to sue my estate...that's fine. But your track record of pursuing legal action is non-existant.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:02PM

Pakistani Savage Wrote:
> I've been driving property values down here in
> NOVA since 1977. Here's the thing with
> HOA's...they will piss, they will moan, they will
> call you, they will email you, they will put notes
> under your door...but as soon as they realize
> it'll cost them legal fees to take action against
> me for letting my grass grow, giving my dogs extra
> sausage and then letting them shit in everyone
> ELSE'S yards, not painting frequently enough and
> so on...they give it because it's not worth it.
> I've rung up nearly $100,000 in HOA fines over the
> last 35 years and I've never paid them a
> dime...and I'm still here...and they can't do
> anything about me or my house.
>
> HOA rules are unenforceable. They are written in
> strong language that make you fear consequences in
> order that residents comply but they are
> unenforceable.
>
> This whole thing started when a boy with a BB gun
> shot out my porch light. My house was built in
> 1962. They stopped making the light fixture in
> 1975. I went ahead and replaced it with something
> much nicer with the same burnt-brass finish from
> the same manufacturer but because the board wasn't
> consulted they've said my light is non-compliant.
> That was 25 years ago. They talk to me every year
> about it and levy more and more fines and the
> situation doesn't change. They threaten to pursue
> a lien and my response is, "I am waiting to
> die...". And to that I say, bring your lien. I
> have no one to leave my home to so when I die, if
> you want to sue my estate...that's fine. But your
> track record of pursuing legal action is
> non-existant.

I doubt it..

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+55-516

Relevant excerpts:

Once perfected, the association shall have a lien on every lot for unpaid assessments levied against that lot...

At any time after perfecting the lien pursuant to this section, the property owners' association may sell the lot at public sale...

The judgment or decree in an action brought pursuant to this section shall include, without limitation, reimbursement for costs and reasonable attorneys' fees of the prevailing party. If the association prevails, it may also recover interest at the legal rate for the sums secured by the lien from the time each such sum became due and payable.

Posted by: Anon Y. Mouse ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:47PM

> if
> > you want to sue my estate...that's fine. But
> your
> > track record of pursuing legal action is
> > non-existant.
>
> I doubt it..
>
> http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+co
> d+55-516
>
> Relevant excerpts:
>
> Once perfected, the association shall have a lien
> on every lot for unpaid assessments levied against
> that lot...
>
> At any time after perfecting the lien pursuant to
> this section, the property owners' association may
> sell the lot at public sale...
>
> The judgment or decree in an action brought
> pursuant to this section shall include, without
> limitation, reimbursement for costs and reasonable
> attorneys' fees of the prevailing party. If the
> association prevails, it may also recover interest
> at the legal rate for the sums secured by the lien
> from the time each such sum became due and
> payable.

Re-read the law, specifically 55-516(B). The HOA only has twelve months to file a memorandum of lien from the time the FIRST assessment was due. 55-516(E) goes on to say that the lien, once properly filed, can only be enforced for a period of three years.

The HOA can definitely enforce its rules, but it has to act relatively swiftly. Professionally-run HOAs understand this, but they're usually the ones that are reasonable in the first place instead of harassing homeowners.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:50PM

Posted by: Worst HOA ever! ()
Date: August 30, 2012 04:57AM

You weren't kidding about the reviews...

These people infuriate me. They took over our complex in 2005. On the one hand they have nothing better to do than drive around the complex taking photos for evidence of home owners association violations. On the other hand there is a huge double standard. The first couple of times we didn't receive our quarterly dues invoice I thought it was the post office's fault. But when I called the HOA to get their mailing address, they were like, "Oh you didn't get your invoice yet? Well you have a 30 day grace period." Then suddenly within days the invoice would arrive. So they don't have to remember to mail out the invoice but you are required to remember to pay it.

They actually took a photo of our garbage can outside our house and sent it to us with a letter stating that it is a violation of the association policy to store trash receptacles in the front of the house. The letter also stated that there is a $10 per day fine for noncompliance. Honestly, either they are not enforcing it or they are raking in the dough because that was in 2005 and I can't begin to tell you how many people in this neighborhood CONTINUE to leave their cans out in plain sight. And this is after they changed sanitation companies and we were all assigned new, numbered garbage cans - at which time our dear HOA said they were going to keep a list of the new can numbers and their corresponding house numbers, to further assist them in knowing who was violating the trash can policy.

Then they sent out a letter in late 2005 or early 2006, stating that the exterior of each house was going to be inspected by the end of March 2006. Of course March came and went. I think the next letter we received stated that inspections would instead be completed by August 2006. Well here it is April 2007 and we just now received letters listing out our "violations." One of said violations is regarding an item in our backyard that was placed there by the original owners of the house - well over ten years ago. Suddenly NOW it's an issue? I thought new HOA's had to honor previous management's policies on these things?

Apparently you are not allowed to keep anything in your front or backyard including tools for snow removal and yard work. I would like to know where a person is supposed to store a lawnmower considering the fact that all homeowners are responsible for mowing their own back yards???

Don't get me started on the stupid parking policy they came up with that they thankfully rescinded after about one week due to numerous complaints from homeowners. And they seem to be cutting back on the landscaping. They are supposed to mow everyone's front yard and the common areas. They seem to go three weeks or more without cutting it. I'd like to take a photo of THAT violation and send it to THEM!

05/07 - Apparently I accidentally wrote our quarterly dues check for six cents too little. Sequoia wasted a 39 cent stamp to send me a bill for six cents. I called and asked if they really wanted me to waste another stamp and send them a check for six cents. Fortunately they said to just add it on to my next payment.

Posted by: Worst HOA ever! ()
Date: August 30, 2012 04:58AM

And here's another one....

They are the worst. They drive around and cherry pick violations at one house, while houses next door go unpenalized. We got a notice about bird poop on our mailbox, a dead spot in our yard (drought....duh) while the house next to us had a playset and a concrete 1/2 court basketball pad built in "common area" behind it. The house on the other side has a fence that's falling apart. It's not like these things aren't hard to see. I wonder if they like getting a lot of little violations as opposed to a few bigger ones.

No consistency and the lady in charge of our development is immediately confrontational and acts like she's above you. It's almost as if they relish in being hardasses.

If they take over your development, get involved and GET THEM OUT.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: August 30, 2012 08:02AM

Considering the mandated-style mailbox posts are absolutely delightful bird roosts I'm always surprised to see a mailbox that does NOT have bird poop on it.

Since a couple of my neighbors and myself encourage the presence of birds, we can only hope the HOA management company doesn't come around taking pictures.

Posted by: beth ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:12PM

I had nothing but terrible experiences with this company. The manager is rude, argumentive, and disrespectful. She argues with our board and the members of our community. She complains about having to do "her" job. She constantly makes errors and tries to pass the blame. And, she is suppose to be their top manager. When I complained to her superior he defined her behavior saying she is very passinate about her job and sometimes gets over zealous! She has crossed the line of confidentiality at times. I could go on but I think I made my point. The cheapest is not always best.

Posted by: Pakistani Savage ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:39PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> Pakistani Savage Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've been driving property values down here in
> > NOVA since 1977. Here's the thing with
> > HOA's...they will piss, they will moan, they
> will
> > call you, they will email you, they will put
> notes
> > under your door...but as soon as they realize
> > it'll cost them legal fees to take action
> against
> > me for letting my grass grow, giving my dogs
> extra
> > sausage and then letting them shit in everyone
> > ELSE'S yards, not painting frequently enough
> and
> > so on...they give it because it's not worth it.
> > I've rung up nearly $100,000 in HOA fines over
> the
> > last 35 years and I've never paid them a
> > dime...and I'm still here...and they can't do
> > anything about me or my house.
> >
> > HOA rules are unenforceable. They are written
> in
> > strong language that make you fear consequences
> in
> > order that residents comply but they are
> > unenforceable.
> >
> > This whole thing started when a boy with a BB
> gun
> > shot out my porch light. My house was built in
> > 1962. They stopped making the light fixture in
> > 1975. I went ahead and replaced it with
> something
> > much nicer with the same burnt-brass finish
> from
> > the same manufacturer but because the board
> wasn't
> > consulted they've said my light is
> non-compliant.
> > That was 25 years ago. They talk to me every
> year
> > about it and levy more and more fines and the
> > situation doesn't change. They threaten to
> pursue
> > a lien and my response is, "I am waiting to
> > die...". And to that I say, bring your lien. I
> > have no one to leave my home to so when I die,
> if
> > you want to sue my estate...that's fine. But
> your
> > track record of pursuing legal action is
> > non-existant.
>
> I doubt it..
>
> d+55-516
>
> Relevant excerpts:
>
> Once perfected, the association shall have a lien
> on every lot for unpaid assessments levied against
> that lot...
>
> At any time after perfecting the lien pursuant to
> this section, the property owners' association may
> sell the lot at public sale...
>
> The judgment or decree in an action brought
> pursuant to this section shall include, without
> limitation, reimbursement for costs and reasonable
> attorneys' fees of the prevailing party. If the
> association prevails, it may also recover interest
> at the legal rate for the sums secured by the lien
> from the time each such sum became due and
> payable.

Maharishi Newgatedenizen, I do not doubt the validity of your link but I have 35 years of data backing me up. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and find you are now my HOA President and action will be taken against me...

For now, I'm going to sit and watch my cricket matches on my HOA-illegal satellite dish see if my grass has indeed reached Guinness World Record proportions and laugh at my neighbors when they step in my dog's shit in their yards...

Date: September 25, 2012 05:25PM

We also have them and we also think they stink.

We have gotten violation letters from them for:
* after trash pickup, leaving our trashcan on the side of the house, up against the fence to the back yard, but not all the way behind its usual bush. This was in January; there was some snow on the ground, and I think it was within the first few months to the first year Sequoia had taken over. Before Sequoia took over a few years ago from our volunteer board, the hide-your-trashcan rule was NOT ever enforced that I know of. Our neighbors used to keep theirs by the front corner of their garage, on our side, in plain view; it wasn't my favorite thing to look at but I never once complained to the HOA about it since it was just the cans/bins, not overflowing messes.

* our shutters needing to be replaced or maintained/repainted. They're plastic, with the color pre-applied - not painted. The original ones (painted wood) had been replaced a few years prior to this notice. After getting a second notice about this (we looked at them and there were no broken parts), we finally called. They said they were faded or had some sort of whitish residue on them. Why they weren't required to put these details into the first letter, I've no idea. This was about a year or two ago. I stopped a whole bunch of neighbors as they walked by to ask them if they saw anything wrong with our house. Most of them stood and stared for a while, trying to come up with something. This was NOT a glaring violation of anything. One neighbor recommended wiping the shutters down with Armor-All; that seemed to do the trick, as Sequoia didn't complain again. Oh - and at the time Sequoia was complaining about our slightly faded-in-the-middle shutters, our driveway was cracked and needed to be replaced. Did we get a violation notice about that? No. Did we replace it on our own? Yes.

* "maintain landscaping beds and tree rings" - there are no specifics in our HOA docs as to what landscaping has to look like and no minimum standards are defined. Also, our HOA docs say nothing about tree rings. So we cleaned up the worst areas in front of the house, mowed the lawn a little more often, and got a second notice about the same issue today. Details? None. Specifics as to which flowerbed(s) or tree ring(s)? None. Info as to what they SHOULD look like, according to the HOA/Sequoia? None. Do we have weeds? Some. Is the lawn overgrown? No. My husband is right now drafting a complaint letter to Sequoia about their lack of information making it difficult to impossible to comply with their demands since it's not clear what they're actually demanding.

Each of these times, the form letter has also included the usual legal verbiage (good - need to know the time requirements and possible penalties) and each time it has quoted irrelevant ARC maintenance requirements from the HOA docs (bad - this makes it look like Sequoia has no idea what they're talking about and is just filling up space on the page).

The fence/gate on the house next door has been broken on and off since a number of years ago. No, a pet isn't breaking through and escaping. It just isn't staying in one piece. I've no idea if they're getting notices, but we haven't reported them since it isn't all that big of a deal and the house is usually lived in by a different family every year or so.

Several years ago, before Sequoia, there was a MAJOR violation down the street from us. There was an elderly gentleman who was having obvious problems maintaining his yard. There was a tree growing out of his driveway, among other things. It took many months for the volunteer HOA board to get this taken care of (I don't know if they ended up sending people over there to help him, or if lawyers made him/his caretakers do something, or what). Clearly the neighborhood board wants to avoid situations like this, which is great, but Sequoia is a bunch of nitpickers who suck at writing helpful violation-correction letters.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 05:31PM by longtime NoVA res.

Posted by: Angry Homeowner ()
Date: September 25, 2012 06:02PM

Why do these management companies strive to be so severe on small rules and regulations? This level of enforcement does not increase home value. Does anyone remember back in the 90's when Little Rocky Run had a reputation as "Little Rocky Russia". Most buyers were steered away from those homes. This can't do anything but weaken the long term price of those homes.

There is a fine line for HOA's to walk. If the HOA farms out the enforcement to a company like Sequoia, than they should be prepared to share that management company's reputation and all of the resulting effects on home value. Unless there are cars on blocks in the yard, it is probably a negative effect.

Posted by: mjcc1987 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 06:39PM

The problem is NOT the management company. The problem is your lazy Board. The management company only does the work of the Board and the governing documents. Your issue is NOT Sequoia but your brain dead and lazy Board members. No management company can impose fees or fines without Board approval nor can they enforce rules not adopted by the Board. Change the Board, and the management company's attitude will change as well.

Posted by: thankgodidonthavenahoa ()
Date: September 25, 2012 06:39PM

pitchforks and torches or just refuse to pay, but all of you have to stick together.

Posted by: Springfield ()
Date: September 25, 2012 09:01PM

Just dont turn to Cardianal Management, they manage my complex in Springfield and are completely incompetent

Posted by: Another view ()
Date: September 26, 2012 12:18AM

Sequoia was our management company when I was on the HOA board of directors. They made it clear from day one that they were there to help enforce board policies and provide a buffer between the owners and the board. Little was done on their own initiative without consulting the board first.

Our architectural control committee (ACC) walked around for the inspections and decided which violations would be enforced. Sequoia stood up to be the "bad guy" so people would not be showing up at the homes of the ACC with pitchforks and torches. The letter would come from Sequoia, but the instigators were the ACC.

Our ACC particularly liked to go after absentee landlords as they found them quick to comply whenever asked. Yet the former board member who built a shed on his deck (a clear violation) was left alone. It was not fair, but Sequoia was not to blame, we were.

If you find your management company is rude or unresponsive, go to a Board meeting with dates, names, and facts. They will listen. For some of these directors, it is the most responsibility they have had in their lives and they want to be reelected. They should be responsive to to you. In our HOA, the treasurer could waive late fees, but the management company could not. Very few people knew that.

There's an old thread around here where someone described an HOA board member as a colonel who never made general. There is a lot of truth to that. They are the ones most likely to let the management company take the blame for their own stupid decisions.

I have been there, on the inside. I know.

Now, would you like to discuss parking issues? Or maybe snow plowing? Start another thread and we'll have some fun.

Posted by: HOA Board ()
Date: September 26, 2012 01:59AM

The core underlying issues usually are NOT with the Board or the Management Company. The issues are usually with residents who choose to purchase property in a community with restrictive covenants that run with the land, and then they get upset when they realize that YES -- the covenants apply to them also.

Either comply with the covenants and community standards, or move out of your HOA. Bitchin about your Board or Management Company is a waste of time.

Date: September 26, 2012 02:38AM

It's not a matter of moving in and refusing to comply with the covenants. The neighborhood has covenants, but they were never strict and they were never strictly enforced. Other than specifics on front doors and a couple of other items (like no fences around your front yard and - until recently - no satellite dishes visible from the street) the covenants are pretty general and the ARC and HOA board were always generously lenient and neighborly. They'd talk to homeowners about possible issues and would try to work things out; would only send letters if absolutely necessarily. This was probably the first ten or so years we lived here and was one of the reasons we chose this neighborhood over a more restrictive one like Reston or Little Rocky Run and why we absolutely didn't go with a condo association. Sequoia got hired and suddenly things clamped down - erratically and with poor communications and explanations to boot.

That's my complaint - that this isn't the level of HOA restriction we bought into AND that it's vague and petty and poorly managed. And it's not that the covenants were rewritten, either - the wording is almost entirely what it was when the neighborhood was built in the '80s, with a few modernizations as for satellite dishes.

PS - sure, let's start a thread about snow plowing. Road maintenance too (sorry, VDOT; I know your budget stinks yet again this year). Before the snow gets awful like it did two years ago and more. How are your potholes/cracks in the road? Please start the other thread quoting this and with your reply...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 02:42AM by longtime NoVA res.

Date: September 26, 2012 03:01AM

Doesn't matter if they were strictly enforced or not. Your covenants run with the land and are still enforceable. Do you have any idea who is complaining about you. 95% of the time it is your own neighbors.

Read your own note. Your are leaving your trash can outside and visible to other neighbors. Why? Put it inside of your garage or drag it around behind your home. Don't justify leaving it out as an eyesore.

If your shutters have gotten crappy looking either re-paint them or replace them. Don't leave them an eyesore.

If your have crappy landscaping -- please fix it up and maintain it proeprly with nice plants and mulch, etc. Don't justify leaving it crappy looking.

Have you served on your Architectural Review Comm. or on your Board? Do so and your eyes will open up.

Don't like it -- move.

Posted by: @ HOA board ()
Date: September 26, 2012 10:29AM

LOL your responses sound like you're the typical stay at home, busy body, housewife either on the HOA board, or you're not but think you are - in other words, you like to report people. that or you're the husband of one.

most people, as shocking as this sounds, arent stupid when it comes to moving into an HOA controlled community. they totally understand what comes with the territory, and if the agent they use is worth a darn, they'll tell prospective buyers - before even submitting an offer - if the HOA is a royal pain in the ass or not.

it's not the enforcement of rules and covenants the HOAs, it's how they're enforced. specifically the "nepotism" and selective enforcement. if a person gets a notice because they left their trash can out a little past 6 PM on trash day, but see other neighbors doing that all the time, they'll bitch, and have every right to. if they get a notice because there's a pile of gnat poop on their stoop, but the next door neighbor has had piles of dog poop in their yard, they have a right to bitch.

the best example is the above, where a board member had something built that was a violation. all the other resident's - non board members who applied for a similar structure and were rejected - have a right to bitch.

Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: September 26, 2012 12:43PM

Why would anyone want to live in a place that has HOA?

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: September 27, 2012 02:57PM

Stephen Wrote:
> Why would anyone want to live in a place that has
> HOA?

Because they've taken a look at some neighborhoods without them.

Now is every non-HOA neighborhood a piece of junk? Of course not. But plenty are.

Date: September 27, 2012 10:50PM

"...it's not the enforcement of rules and covenants the HOAs, it's how they're enforced. specifically the "nepotism" and selective enforcement..."

Typical mindset of an ignorant complaining homeowner. It looks like the person admits they have violated the covenants and the rules need to be enforced. But this neighbor thinks -- 'because other homes have violations too I should not have to worry about it and they should no pick on me.'

Look -- HOAs are run by volunteers. Few if any have an army going around looking for violations. Problems and violations are brought to the attention of the Board or the Management company by neighbors who complain. When there is a complaint, the Board has a fiduciary responsibility to enforce the covenants and address the complaint.

Sorry -- you are not off the hook because there is another property with another issue. Why don't you grow up and be a good neighbor and just fix your own admitted problem?

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: September 27, 2012 10:54PM

We use Legum & Norman as our management company and they've been great. Even were willing to cut our management fees during the recession. They're good at enforcement, they're fair and our management guy works for us, not against us. I'd recommend them to any of these groups who are having problems.

Posted by: Little boxes ()
Date: September 27, 2012 11:07PM

I reside in an old neigborhood that doesn't have a HOA and most keep houses in good shape. Houses are different and nice.
How pathetic to live where you are told what you can and cannot do with YOUR house. I understand cows have to be herded but homeowners being ruled?
Americans will buy into anything.

Posted by: Gated Driveway ()
Date: September 30, 2012 07:54AM

Little boxes Wrote:
> I reside in an old neigborhood that doesn't have a
> HOA and most keep houses in good shape. Houses are
> different and nice.
> How pathetic to live where you are told what you
> can and cannot do with YOUR house. I understand
> cows have to be herded but homeowners being
> ruled?
> Americans will buy into anything.

Why in Gods name would anyone want to waste a portion of their life dealing with an HOA? Take that time and energy and put it to good use. Go back to school and get a good job that allows you to purchase a home where you make all the rules. This is America and you can make it but you have to try.

Posted by: Loves HOAs ()
Date: September 30, 2012 10:25PM

I thank god every day for my HOA. Without them our neighbors would let their properties fall apart and look like crap. The HOA has kept the neighborhood looking nice and improved our property values.

Posted by: terrell.miller9 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 12:44PM

Little boxes Wrote:
> I reside in an old neigborhood that doesn't have a
> HOA and most keep houses in good shape. Houses are
> different and nice.
> How pathetic to live where you are told what you
> can and cannot do with YOUR house. I understand
> cows have to be herded but homeowners being
> ruled?
> Americans will buy into anything.

Me too, older neighborhood, no 2 hourses exactly the same and nearly everyone does a great job of keeping their house nice and yard maintained. Some of the oldest homes are great, although most of the really old ones have been torn down and replace by McMansions. The good part about that is that it's increased the property value of the others, the down side is that they lack the character that the older ones had. Still, no HOA though which is great. Development next door is typical tight A** HOA and there are several people who have moved to my neighborhood to older homes, or built or bought some of the McMansions.

I don't think a solid case can be made for the existance of HOAs, they are more trouble than they're worth.

Posted by: yes, they can be good ()
Date: October 01, 2012 01:27PM

"I don't think a solid case can be made for the existance of HOAs, they are more trouble than they're worth."

that's a bit over the top. HOAs can be good, like i said before, they have their place to ensure the neighborhood keeps up "appearances". where they go wrong is with some of the covenants and enforcement of them. if the HOA rules - or more importantly the board members who enforce the rules - think theyre too high and mighty ( or just mind blowingly ignorant ) is when things go south.

LRR, when i lived there and this may have changed since, prohibited an attached shed. even if the shed matched the house in every detail - siding / color / shingles / roof pitch / etc., they wouldnt allow a homeowner to build one. the shed would look identical to a powder/laundry room bump-out, of which many houses already had. cant do it, too bad, so sad. they would allow a person to buy a freestanding plastic suncast shed from home depot and slap that bad boy right up against the house. one example of HOA stupidity.

a friend lives in a TH community in FFX city, in which they also had some moronic HOA covenents. his first run-in with them was when he painted his front door ( huge no-no in an HOA community w/o getting Va's Lt Governor to sign off first ) and got a notice after. obviously somebody reported his evil deed...so he goes to the board, with paint chips of the "approved" HOA color ( red in this case ) along with one of what he used. told the board to pick which color was approved, and which one he used. they obviously couldnt because they were pretty much identical. still, they forced him to buy the approve color and re-paint.

when it came time to replace his fence in the backyard, your typical TH shadowbox fence, he researched what the HOA would and wouldnt allow for....and what he found they didnt allow for made him LOL. one could not use pressure treated lumber, and, you couldn't stain/paint the fence. what does that idiotic rule ensure? that fences all over the neighborhood would be in various states of decay.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: October 01, 2012 09:22PM

HOAs are as follows:

Do this, do this, do this, and pay us the dues or we'll be a pain in the ass about it. In my neighborhood, I know the treasurer. The president managed to put the neighborhood $7,000 over budget. She's demanding that the financials are not released with comment until she can bring the HOA lawyer to the annual meeting.

Posted by: Gladys Kravitz ()
Date: October 01, 2012 10:01PM

HOA Board Wrote:
>
> Look -- HOAs are run by volunteers. Few if any
> have an army going around looking for violations.
> Problems and violations are brought to the
> attention of the Board or the Management company
> by neighbors who complain. When there is a
> complaint, the Board has a fiduciary
> responsibility to enforce the covenants and
> address the complaint.
>

Except 90% of those complaints typically come from the same few people.

No reasonable people give a shit that someone's shutters or light post are a slightly different design, or that a kid leaves a bike in the yard now and then, or any of the other idiotic stuff that the neighborhood nannys spend their time reporting. If it's a significant situation then that's a different matter but that's the far more rare in my experience.

Posted by: You're lying ()
Date: October 01, 2012 10:58PM

Hate HOAs Wrote:
> All they do is nitpick dumb "violations" and hit
> you up with 10 or 50 dollar fines every few weeks.
> They actually fined my neighbor for bird poop on
> his lightpole. Seriously? It was three blobs
> about the size of a quarter. But around the
> corner some guy has a playset and patio furniture
> in a common area and he's had it for over 5 years.
> Seems to be a petty shakedown company as far as
> I'm concerned especially if big violations don't
> get enforced but dumb little ones do.

It doesn't work that way. Legally, they have to notify you by certified letter and give you a 30 day period to fix the violation. Then, they have to call you to a hearing which usually means you have another 30 days to fix the violation. Then, after the hearing, they can start assessing a fine for every day you are in violation up to a maximum dollar amount per violation.

They can't just start fining you the second you break an HOA rule.

Date: October 01, 2012 11:24PM

Gladys Kravitz Wrote:
> HOA Board Wrote:
> > Look -- HOAs are run by volunteers. Few if any
> > have an army going around looking for
> violations.
> > Problems and violations are brought to the
> > attention of the Board or the Management
> company
> > by neighbors who complain...
> >
>
> Except 90% of those complaints typically come from
> the same few people.
>
> No reasonable people give a shit that someone's
> shutters or light post are a slightly different
> design, or that a kid leaves a bike in the yard
> now and then, or any of the other idiotic stuff
> that the neighborhood nannys spend their time
> reporting. If it's a significant situation then
> that's a different matter but that's the far more
> rare in my experience.

My points exactly. If it was such a minor issue that it took a while for our squinting neighbors to guess that maybe it was the shutters, then it isn't glaringly out of covenant. A trashcan out of place once or twice is NOT an issue (everyone is likely to have a day when they forget or are coming home late and ask someone else to get it or when the kids pull it up the driveway but don't hide it well enough); one always out when it shouldn't be - that should get a call or a letter.

As for the flower beds - well, we'll have to see if they have someone come out and count weeds vs. out-of-season/non-blooming plant greenery or stand over us as we hoe, jotting notes all the while. I'm not pulling up my bulbs or ripping out the rest of the morning glories/four o'clocks that climb my mailbox because some nitwit thinks the bulbs should be laid out in a grid or with space for mulch in between or that the mailbox post is overgrown. We have neighbors whose landscaping includes decorative grasses that dry out and have pretty heads during the winter. They look very, very much like regular too-tall grass. For all I know, the HOA managers think those are too weedy. Or they might think they're great.

Lacking any information from them, I've no idea what's going through their heads but I know they could be spending our HOA dollars - they're working for US, remember! - doing something more useful, like bugging VDOT or whomever to fix the sidewalks whose surfaces have been crumbling for at least a year and the weeds that are growing in the street along the curbs (or are the nearest homeowners supposed to get those even if they're in a common area?). The cr@ppy sidewalks do far more to make our neighborhood unsightly than any weeds I might have missed up by my front door or around my tree.

Posted by: HOA Lunacy ()
Date: October 02, 2012 08:24AM

I remember a neighborhood near Mt. Vernon, can't remember the name, Stratford maybe. It was an older one but had a HOA, and a retired colonel became the HOA president. Well, he and his wife took it upon themselves to ensure the whole place was neat and orderly. The other residents ended up calling it "Fort Brenetzer" not sure of the spelling but the that was the guy's last name. Evidently he went through the entire neighborhood every morning and evening conducting an "Inspection" (I beleive that's what he called it) and personally left violation letters any time there was a scrap of paper or 2 day old newspaper in the drive, or trash can not alighned or whatever. It became so ridiculous that eventually enough people got mad enough to vote him out. But there were enough other either active duty or retired military personnel that he was the president for something like 8 or 10 years. I knew some of the people that lived there and the stories would either have you seething or dying with laughter.

Date: October 02, 2012 09:17AM

Wow, that sounds really annoying. Funny, if you're NOT living there, but I would hate that. If I wanted that level of micromanagement and direction where I lived, I'd buy a fancy condo in a gated, guarded community or else save my money and live in a barracks.

We do have a ton of military, State Dept., other straight-laced government workers, etc. in our neighborhood. Some are very blatantly violating the HOA's very clearly stated "no signs" rule with their pro-candidate political signs right now, but their yards are generally very neat. Guess Sequoia was told the HOA has other enforcement priorities.

Thanks for sharing - I hadn't heard about that HOA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 09:19AM by longtime NoVA res.

Posted by: HOA MGR ()
Date: October 03, 2012 02:38PM

You all sound like little kids who can focus only on themselves.

A HOA is as good as its volunteers. The Mgmt Co is instructed by the board. Its not a bad Mgmt Co, its usually 1 or 2 bad board members. But both the Mgmt Co and Board members can be changed. Stop complaining and join the board. Fix your HOA.

Shutup, move out or join the board.

Posted by: Sequoia Still Sucks ()
Date: October 03, 2012 03:44PM

You're lying Wrote:
> Hate HOAs Wrote:
> -----
> > All they do is nitpick dumb "violations" and
> hit
> > you up with 10 or 50 dollar fines every few
> weeks.
> > They actually fined my neighbor for bird poop
> on
> > his lightpole. Seriously? It was three blobs
> > about the size of a quarter. But around the
> > corner some guy has a playset and patio
> furniture
> > in a common area and he's had it for over 5
> years.
> > Seems to be a petty shakedown company as far
> as
> > I'm concerned especially if big violations
> don't
> > get enforced but dumb little ones do.
>
> It doesn't work that way. Legally, they have to
> notify you by certified letter and give you a 30
> day period to fix the violation. Then, they have
> to call you to a hearing which usually means you
> have another 30 days to fix the violation. Then,
> after the hearing, they can start assessing a fine
> for every day you are in violation up to a maximum
> dollar amount per violation.
>
> They can't just start fining you the second you
> break an HOA rule.

Um, then Sequoia doesn't know the law. The few times that I or my neighbors have been found in violation for some petty bullshit, they've always given a generous 7 day window to fix the issue or face "penalties".

Let me tell you a story about one violation they found on our street. All of us had a good laugh about it. A mailbox got dented during the blizzards of 2009-10. It probably got dented by a plow or whatever. A notice was received two weeks after the February storm saying the mailbox needs to be repaired and repainted and it has to be done within 7 days. Mind you there's still 10" of snow on the ground, 24" of solid blocks of ice around all of the maiboxes, and it's barely 35 degrees outside. How the heck is the paint going to dry, much less anyone going to get to it under the blocks of ice?. That's who you're dealing with over there. Henpecking robotos who have no common sense.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: October 03, 2012 04:06PM

Shutup, move out or join the board.

i have a better idea. Accept that your HOA board just isn't very important, and that you're clearly trying to compensate for something. There are actual problems in the world that need solutions. Somebody's mailbox post just doesn't make the list. Grow up.

Date: October 03, 2012 04:33PM

"i have a better idea."

Your an armchair quaterback. Get up and volunteer.

"Somebody's mailbox post just doesn't make the list."

Whos list shall we use? Who makes the list? Who is enforcing the list?
If you anwsered the board, your correct.

My point is, you can continue to complain or do something about it.

HOAs were designed to be maintained by the homeowners that they serve.

Serve or be served.

Date: October 03, 2012 04:36PM

You are (not Your) - sorry

Sequoia Mgmt may be a bad company but the owners have the option to get rid of them.

Date: October 03, 2012 05:28PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> "i have a better idea."
>
> Your an armchair quaterback. Get up and volunteer.
>
>
> "Somebody's mailbox post just doesn't make the
> list."
>
> Whos list shall we use? Who makes the list? Who is
> enforcing the list?
> If you anwsered the board, your correct.
>
> My point is, you can continue to complain or do
> something about it.
>
> HOAs were designed to be maintained by the
> homeowners that they serve.
>
> Serve or be served.

In our hood, sequoia does the walking around and inspecting, not the HOA Board. I don't know if that's true for all of the neighborhoods they manage. I've heard through the grapevine that our board is pretty lazy and like the fact that a third party is the one lowering the hammer. That way they can say "hey - it's not us. It's just the management company making us aware", and try to not piss of their "friends" in the development.

We've got an election coming up. Maybe I'll submit my name, but the type of people that live in my neighborhood really rub me the wrong way. Bunch of phony self centered fucks.

Date: October 03, 2012 07:49PM

[Quote
Whos list shall we use? Who makes the list? Who is enforcing the list?
If you anwsered the board, your correct[/quote]

Easy solution. Throw all the lists in the round file. We all know that the only reason these stupid things still exist is because nobody can remember the last time a quorum showed up at a meeting.

If it ever did there's a great chance the whole thing would be abolished.

But since most of us have jobs, kids, you know.. important stuff... to take care of, you pocket protector wearing nerds continue on your quixotic quest to demand validation from the world.

When I was a kid, if somebody didn't like your yard, they'd either sack up and tell you or just let it go. Not hide behind the skirts of some hoa management company.

Date: October 03, 2012 11:21PM

Curmudgeon() - Very good points except for the "nerds" rant. Inaccurate. Most of the folks I know who grew up bullied for being "nerds" are now pretty well-rounded, with the "jobs, kids, you know.. important stuff" you've pinpointed. It's more the *other* folks who want to micromanage the rest of the neighborhood.

Date: October 04, 2012 02:43PM

Curmudgeon() - "....is because nobody can remember the last time a quorum showed up at a meeting. If it ever did there's a great chance the whole thing would be abolished."

Exactly my point. Go fix the problem.

"But since most of us have jobs, kids, you know.. important stuff... "

Yea, you're so scary busy that you can't find 1 hour per month to attend a meeting (usually in the same neighborhood)? Maybe you could find 3-4 hours a month and become a board member.

"When I was a kid..."

You're not a kid anymore, you're an adult. Sometimes as an adult you have to do things that aren't fun.

You are the solution to your own problems.

FYI: pocket protector = function over form

Date: October 04, 2012 02:59PM

Warhawk ()- "We've got an election coming up. Maybe I'll submit my name, "

Its this kind of attitude that is going to pull your neighborhood (and our country) out of the crapper.

Posted by: Just a question ()
Date: October 04, 2012 03:56PM

Who the fuck would own a house in a community that has hoa nazis dictating how to conduct your home ownership?

Date: October 04, 2012 04:18PM

Just a question () - "Who the ---- would own a house in a community that has hoa nazis dictating how to conduct your home ownership?"

People who want to make sure their biggest investment is secure and increases in value. People who understand that their neighbors can have an impact on the value of their home, their quality of life and their pursuit of happiness. People who don't want to live next to an unattentive slumlord. People who don't want to live next to an unregulated boarding house. People who don't want to live next to a dog kennel. People who want to find a parking spot at 1 am.

People who want to live at a pre-agreed upon standard.

And, your State & Local Governments who force (by regulations) developers into creating HOAs.

But if your not that kind of person, don't buy a home in an association.

Posted by: Parallel moves in life ()
Date: October 04, 2012 08:15PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> Just a question () - "Who the ---- would own a
> house in a community that has hoa nazis dictating
> how to conduct your home ownership?"
>
> People who want to make sure their biggest
> investment is secure and increases in value.
> People who understand that their neighbors can
> have an impact on the value of their home, their
> quality of life and their pursuit of happiness.
> People who don't want to live next to an
> unattentive slumlord. People who don't want to
> live next to an unregulated boarding house. People
> who don't want to live next to a dog kennel.
> People who want to find a parking spot at 1 am.
>
> People who want to live at a pre-agreed upon
> standard.
>
> And, your State & Local Governments who force (by
> regulations) developers into creating HOAs.
>
> But if your not that kind of person, don't buy a
> home in an association.

HOA Mgmt=terminated used car salesperson

it's really pretty simple once you know how ;)
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: October 04, 2012 08:39PM

geez..............you guys dont know how to handle HOA manangement yet?
Attachments:
g677957198.gif

Date: October 05, 2012 06:28AM

Yea, you're so scary busy that you can't find 1 hour per month to attend a meeting (usually in the same neighborhood)? Maybe you could find 3-4 hours a month and become a board member.

Yup. Like I said you're just not very important.

Posted by: Heil HOA ()
Date: October 05, 2012 07:09AM

Just a question Wrote:
> Who the fuck would own a house in a community that
> has hoa nazis dictating how to conduct your home
> ownership?

Important people have to be told what to do, what requires repairs, when to cut grass(if any), change light bulbs,etc. Important people want to feel like part of the community. Attend HOA meetings and express their important opinions on what is good for the community and their selves.
We have meetings in our neighborhood. Saturday mornings the neighborhood groups together to assist one another with non important tasks such as helping the elderly with yard work, repairing roofs,building decks, painting, installing hot water and furnaces.
Smiles, friendship and cold beer turn communities into neighborhoods.
And neighborhoods make America.
Oh yea, when one of the neighbors forgets to remove the garbage cans, we just take a minute from our non HOA controlled community and place them in there proper location.

Date: October 05, 2012 07:44AM

Heil HOA Wrote:
> We have meetings in our neighborhood. Saturday
> mornings the neighborhood groups together to
> assist one another with non important tasks such
> as helping the elderly with yard work, repairing
> roofs,building decks, painting, installing hot
> water and furnaces.
> Smiles, friendship and cold beer turn communities
> into neighborhoods.
> And neighborhoods make America.
> Oh yea, when one of the neighbors forgets to
> remove the garbage cans, we just take a minute
> from our non HOA controlled community and place
> them in there proper location.

Don't like your username (though it sounds like it's poking at some of the others here) but I do like the sound of your neighborhood. We have an HOA but I can't remember the next time neighbors got together to work on anything, least of all to help each other or elderly neighbors with yardwork. We see various people out and about (usually working on their own yards or walking their dogs/little kids/grandkids) but they rarely interact outside except to say hello and make small talk. Mostly they go to/from work or to/from their other or their kids' activities.

When I was a kid we had an HOA. Townhouses. There was a phone directory listing the parents and the kids, and I believe it also had the kids' ages so you could look for babysitters and pet-sitters. We also had regular neighborhood cleanup days, a couple a year. At the end of the cleanup day -the next day? - there would be a neighborhood party.

When we moved into this neighborhood I asked for a copy of the directory. There wasn't one. I asked the HOA if they'd make one. No. Why? Too many government and other types who didn't want to spread info on where they were living :-< Makes it WAY harder to get to know your neighbors. County property records came online eventually and you could look up owners' names by street but it's not the same as living in a neighborhood where people TRY to get together. Street and block parties are few and far between.

This neighborhood has been around since the '80s or early '90s, so it's not like it's brand-new. People are just way more self-isolating and busy than they were years earlier, I suppose. :-( Just not too busy to get the HOA to write letters about errant trash cans instead of saying something to the neighbor.

Date: October 05, 2012 09:02AM

longtime NoVA res () - "People are just way more self-isolating and busy than they were years earlier, I suppose."

And so, because our neighborhoods are filling up with self-centered suburbanites who have more "important" things to do, we pawn off our community duties to HOA Mgmt companies. Then when they ask you to mow your lawn, you complain about how things are not running the way you think they should.

If you've got a better way of doing it, please by all means join the board and make a difference.

Date: October 05, 2012 09:29AM

longtime NoVA res () - "Just not too busy to get the HOA to write letters about errant trash cans instead of saying something to the neighbor."

Would you want to say someting to a neighbor like 'Gordon Blvd()' ?

There are way too many socially unpredictable people out here (who are under a lot of stress) to be knocking on doors and asking them to mow their lawn. Isn't it nice that your HOA Mgmt company deals with them, not you?

Posted by: hoa employee ()
Date: October 05, 2012 10:38AM

Seems that the HOA mgmt. posting to this thread has a lot of time on his/her hands.

Posted by: Just called the hoa ()
Date: October 05, 2012 03:42PM

All HOA offices now closed due to happy hour. Dues gotta pay for something.

Have a nice weekend and cut your grass.

Date: October 05, 2012 04:21PM

After a week of dealing with these kind of vauge 1 sided complaints, I can see why they went for a drink.

Posted by: v a u g e ()
Date: October 05, 2012 04:34PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> After a week of dealing with these kind of vauge 1
> sided complaints, I can see why they went for a
> drink.

Vauge? Started early

Date: October 05, 2012 04:38PM

No, dyslexia.

Posted by: Vague ()
Date: October 05, 2012 04:41PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> No, dyslexia.

Sorry

wow - what an asshole....................
Date: October 05, 2012 04:55PM

@HOA mgr - only a COMPLETE asshole would support neighbors NOT COMMUNICATING WITH ONE ANOTHER - no matter what you think of me, I'd hope to GOD that if you seriously consider yourself a representitive of a community, that you would endorse the idea of neighbors speaking to one another.

but what's REALLY funny is that you say ppl should go to you for their complaints, then complain about ppl's concerns being "vague 1 sided complaints"

Wants the power trip of leadership yet could give a fuck about what your concerns are? Geez.........I wonder why OP started this thread?

Date: October 05, 2012 05:19PM

Gordon Blvd () "a COMPLETE ___hole....give a f___ about"

Again, who would want to knock on his door and tell him he needs to fix something on his house?

"the power trip of leadership"

The mgmt company is NOT the leader in this situation, your board is. But you can join the board and lead the mgmt company.

Posted by: Worst response yet ()
Date: October 06, 2012 07:27AM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd () "a COMPLETE ___hole....give a f___
> about"
>
> Again, who would want to knock on his door and
> tell him he needs to fix something on his house?
>
> "the power trip of leadership"
>
> The mgmt company is NOT the leader in this
> situation, your board is. But you can join the
> board and lead the mgmt company.

Someone trying to justify their job?
When neighbors can't talk to neighbors the situation has become hopeless.
Is this how the HOA handles a situation. Thread proves otherwise.

Date: October 07, 2012 08:03AM

you MUST have an HOA to protect yourselves!!!

REMEMBER!! Gordon Blvd MAY BE YOUR NEIGHBOR!!! ROFLMAO!!!

some pretty pathetic leader you are, HOA MGR - if you gotta use imaginary fear tactics to make a point OR if you'd foster neighborhood divisiveness and worse yet, encourage non-communication among neighbors for ANY reason. That actually makes you not only a poor leader, but a real life piece of shit to boot.

But anyways, like a FCPD officer told another crazy nutcase earlier this year "Gordon Blvd doesnt exist away from the keyboard" so grow up a little and learn to see past the screensaver, k? ;)

pic unrelated
Attachments:
27953928.jpg

Date: October 07, 2012 11:08AM

LOL :->

Date: October 08, 2012 08:34AM

Hmmm, I think if you look back at my post you will see I continually point out that the board is ultimately in charge, not a HOA MGR. Thats my point. How many times did I suggest that you join your board and make a difference? You can continue to point, avoid, twist and distort or, join the board.

Not every neighbor is a good neighbor. There are plenty of hot-heads out there. As we can read, there are plenty of people who feel their yard is the last great hope for freedom and are willing to defend this until the bitter end. One of the benefits of mgmt co is that we have to deal with them while you organize all those block parties and neighborhood get together.

"pic unrelated", agreed.

Date: October 08, 2012 09:28AM

No, I think what this thread has really shown is that the type of person who wants to be an "HOA MGR" is the exact same type of person who becomes panicky, obsessive troll-bait on a message forum.

You really are Don Quixote -- just substitute "bad neighbors" for "windmills" and you're there. Keep fighting for justice and keeping the country safe by making sure nobody forgets to hide their trashcans on tuesday. Good work!

Waiting for your inane response in 3.. 2.. 1..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 09:29AM by Curmudgeon.

Posted by: Bud Hoal... ()
Date: October 08, 2012 09:39AM

The Reston Asociation (RA) a notorious bunch of Nazis hiding behind the thin veil of Mayberry-like ersatz manners suffered a significant defeat years ago when it crossed paths with the wrong homeowner. Specifically, RA bitched about a man's amateur radio antenna, a rather imposing aerial built to spec by the owner in his backyard. RA told him to take it down and he ended contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC took legal action against RA citing the law, which stated that licensed amateur radio operators serve as part of the emergency broadcasting infrastructure. Therefore, the aerial served the national interest and was protected by Federal law. The aerial stayed in place.

Wait there's more....

RA had a similar beef with a few folks about their TV antennas (this was before the days of the mini-satellite dish) and the FCC took that issue on as well. The FCC cited law and legal precedent which generally state that a communication signal serves the public good through the broadcast of news and other vital information. Therefore, everyone as a right to obtain that signal via antenna and hindering that ability was contrary to Federal law. Since then, the once-hated antennas have flourished in Reston, but are "discouraged."

So, let's do some psyops against an HOA...

If they piss you off, start speaking incessantly at board meetings about your upcoming amateur radio antenna. Apologize for it, but let everyone know that you are going to do it for the public good. Start early in the attack, but hold your ground. Play the parts of a kind dullard who simply doesn't get the protestations of the board. Cite the law. A good sequence of events might go like this...

Meeting 1: Announce your plans. If the board protest, do not provide the legal cite. Make them do the research.

Meeting 2: Update: you are taking your amateur radio training. All is going well.

Meeting 3: Update: you take your test in a few weeks. You hope the board wishes you all the best...by the way, after the test, a contractor will be out in your backyard to survey for the antenna base. You're not sure about the power requirements.

Meeting 4: there's been a delay with the contractors. When they do get here, you hope the neighborhood won't be bothered by the installation process.

Meeting 5: you're going back and forth about placement. Some trees might have to come down. A chain link fence might have to go around the base. Is the front yard a better place?

Drag this out for months if not years. Add to it lots of dinner-time phone calls to board members about the issue.

A meeting much many months later: You are having second thoughts, but are now considering a full size satellite dish.

Date: October 08, 2012 10:02AM

My point is being lost in a few defensive responses.

Some of you don't want to fix anything, you just want to be left alone. Too bad for you that you agreed to live in an association. Too bad for us that governments mandate the creation of HOAs. Too bad for our kids who will find it difficult to purchase a home that isn't in an association. Too bad for America where the 'neighborhoods' are being replaced by 'associations'. We all lose in a situation where people don't want to volunteer to fix what doesn't work.

As for me, after work I will head back to my house where I can have 3 unregistered vehicles, 7 dogs and a trash can in the front yard. Where I can wade through 2' high grass to get to my pink and yellow painted front door if I want and never get a violation ltr. You see, I do not, nor would I, live in a homeowner's association.

Sorry for your struggles-

Date: October 09, 2012 08:57AM

wow, what an asshole

just remember, folks - this is what yr HOA ppl think of you

which is why all yr services suck yet yr fees go up - cause they could care less about you as people, and only are in it for the power-trip.

Dont believe me? just re-read HOA MGR's. He blows off all yr concerns by saying "yr being defensive" which translated from HOA to English means "Fuck Off, I'm busy" LoLz

or better yet, look at this quote from him: "Not every neighbor is a good neighbor. There are plenty of hot-heads out there. As we can read, there are plenty of people who feel their yard is the last great hope for freedom and are willing to defend this until the bitter end. One of the benefits of mgmt co is that we have to deal with them while you organize all those block parties and neighborhood get together."

dude's so fucking elitist that he cant see that there can be "plenty of hot-heads" on that same damn HOA board, or that those same "not-good neighbor" ppl can also sit on those boards. But he will most CERTAINLY powertrip those HOA MGR feelings on the "little ppl" not sitting on that board, eh? Cause it's only ppl not on the board that can do wrong, you see?

Typical HOA, am I right?

Date: October 09, 2012 10:24AM

"Typical HOA, am I right?"

Fortunately for all of us, Gordon Blvd (), you are wrong.

There are plenty of great HOAs out there who's volunteers keep our home values up, our neighborhoods beautiful and our surroundings safe.

I apologies to the forum for my sarcastic jab at you and Curmudgeon (). The last paragraph and the block party sentence in my post was based on your previous comment about seeing past the screen saver. It didn't help the topic.

Please re-read my post and notice the use of ‘a few' and ‘some of you'. Based on my experience most homeowners are good people who support their HOA. I was not referring to those owners.

My original point still stands, you need to join the board if you want to fix the problem.

Posted by: No thanks ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:06AM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> My point is being lost in a few defensive
> responses.
>
> Some of you don't want to fix anything, you just
> want to be left alone. Too bad for you that you
> agreed to live in an association. Too bad for us
> that governments mandate the creation of HOAs. Too
> bad for our kids who will find it difficult to
> purchase a home that isn't in an association. Too
> bad for America where the 'neighborhoods' are
> being replaced by 'associations'. We all lose in a
> situation where people don't want to volunteer to
> fix what doesn't work.
>
> As for me, after work I will head back to my house
> where I can have 3 unregistered vehicles, 7 dogs
> and a trash can in the front yard. Where I can
> wade through 2' high grass to get to my pink and
> yellow painted front door if I want and never get
> a violation ltr. You see, I do not, nor would I,
> live in a homeowner's association.
>
> Sorry for your struggles-

OMG! NOT 2" GRASS!!! lol

Man, you really are a dick. A big part of the reason why people have a poor impression of HOAs are people like you. I'll take a neighbor with a pink door who missed cutting the grass that week any day versus having to deal with assholes who think like you do.

Yeah, actually it is too bad. I'll never buy a property that's in a mandatory association again and I'm far from alone in that assessment. Sorry, contrary to the "selling point" and "maintaining home values" bs, neither of which are necessarily true, more and more buyers have wised up to the downsides. Beyond having to deal with idiots running the HOA there are potential issues related to joint liability, the ability to make unilateral changes to rules, forced payment for CATV and other services whether used or not, etc., etc., which people should be aware of before buying into these deals. There also are too many conflicts of interest for the mgmt companies and developers and service providers such that it's become a money making racket where the interests of the home owners don't necessarily come first.

Governments also regulate HOAs. In Fairfax, people who have real issues with their association can contact the following offices. They may not be able to help directly, but they can answer questions and point you in the right direction:

Office of the Common Interest Community Ombudsman
Common Interest Community Board

http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/CIC-Ombudsman/

Date: October 09, 2012 11:54AM

‘OMG! NOT 2" GRASS!!! ‘
I said 2 feet, not 2 inches that would be absurd. If your in PWC:
http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/publicworks/ns/Pages/Tall-Grass-Process.aspx

‘Man, you really are a ...'
Based on my post I accept that observation.

‘I'll never buy a property that's in a mandatory association again'‘
Sorry you it didn't work in your favor. Did you warn the buyer about what they were getting into?

‘the ability to make unilateral changes to rules'
Not without a quorum. Unless no one shows up to vote. If that happens the size of the quorum decreases. This is how they get away with changes without the majority's approval. The majority don't attend the meetings to vote. Hopefully they are informed of when these meetings are.

‘forced payment for CATV'
I have never heard of this. Maybe for renters?

‘people should be aware of before buying into these deals.'
In VA its called a disclosure packet. You were either given one or waived your right to one prior to the purchase. Also, a contact is not ratified until 72 hours after the buyer receives the packet.

‘Governments also regulate HOAs'
Correct, our great Commonwealth does! Here is the link:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC55000000026000000000000

"people who have real issues with their association"
....is he saying that the posters here don't have ‘real issues'?

Posted by: No thanks ()
Date: October 09, 2012 12:30PM

HOA MGR Wrote:

> ‘I'll never buy a property that's in a mandatory
> association again'‘
> Sorry you it didn't work in your favor. Did you
> warn the buyer about what they were getting into?
>

They were well aware. In our case it was a matter of potential joint liability and as such that I believed that it was a necessary disclosure; otherwise, I might face some future action.

>
> ‘the ability to make unilateral changes to
> rules'
> Not without a quorum. Unless no one shows up to
> vote. If that happens the size of the quorum
> decreases. This is how they get away with changes
> without the majority's approval. The majority
> don't attend the meetings to vote. Hopefully they
> are informed of when these meetings are.

It can go beyond that. For example, see:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/va-supreme-court/1580282.html

>
> ‘forced payment for CATV'
> I have never heard of this. Maybe for renters?

Example below:

"FCC Allows Loopholes That Mandate Cable Service for Homeowners, Renters
Phillip Dampier September 28, 2010 Bright House, Comcast/Xfinity, Competition, Consumer News, Cox, Public Policy & Gov't, Verizon, Video 11 Comments

Residents of these Virginia homes are required to pay $146 a month for Cox Cable, Broadband, and Phone service whether they want it or not.

Marilyn Castro decided she did not need her landline phone any longer. The Virginia Beach resident learned her provider would be happy to oblige her request to disconnect service, but she is still required to pay her phone bill, even without the service, for at least the next 25 years.

Woodland Park, Virginia resident Allan Pineda got a similar story when he wanted out of Cox Cable’s landline service. Yes, Cox will schedule a visit to disconnect service at his convenience, but he’ll still have to pay his cable bill, including landline charges, every month.

Frederic Martin, who lives at a Mid-America Apartment Communities-owned complex in Dallas, learned he was on the hook for cable-TV service, even though he has not owned a television set for more than a decade.

In Weston, Florida, some 15,000 homeowners pay for cable television whether they want it or not and if they don’t pay, their homes are at risk from foreclosure.

It’s all thanks to the concept of “bulk billing,” a practice growing in popularity that delivers mandatory cable, phone, and broadband service to renters and homeowners whether they want the services or not. It’s a multi-million dollar racket, and thanks to the Federal Communications Commission, it may be coming to your community or apartment complex soon.

For almost five years, mandating cable service has become a growing problem in many parts of the country, especially in Florida and Virginia. Most of the controversy comes when large housing management and homeowner associations, builders, and corporately-owned apartment complexes cut “discount deals” with a cable company to wire a community or complex for service. Their mission is not always altruistic. Many builders receive generous signing bonuses and ongoing kickbacks earned from condemning residents to mandatory cable service contracts that may not expire in their lifetime.

Some apartment complexes have added charges for cable-TV service to the rent. Many earn ongoing compensation from grateful cable companies who pay 3-5 percent of revenue back to the complex. Even homeowner associations have gotten into the act, adding cable-TV costs to required association dues for upkeep and maintenance. For those who can’t or won’t pay, liens and even foreclosure can soon follow.

LM Sandler of Virginia Beach, a Virginia builder, is a typical player.

Sandler has built entire neighborhoods of new homes across Virginia, most of which are covered by a “bulk billing” contract with Cox. When residents buy or rent a Sandler-built property, a triple-play package of phone, cable, and Internet service comes along with the deal. It’s not cheap, running $146 a month. Even worse, your grandchildren could still be paying Cox Cable if they stayed in the family home, because Sandler’s contract with Cox runs up to 75 years.

Although residents are not required to take service from Cox, they are required to pay for it, in full, every month."

(continues...)

>
> ‘people should be aware of before buying into
> these deals.'
> In VA its called a disclosure packet. You were
> either given one or waived your right to one prior
> to the purchase. Also, a contact is not ratified
> until 72 hours after the buyer receives the
> packet.

Which don't most don't read nor do they understand the implications of which particularly when developers/builders/sales people/sellers aren't real keen to point out the potential downsides. In our case it was buried as an obscure covenant related to some jointly owned property that pretty much none of the owners really paid any attention to or even knew about until it became an issue at a much later time.

>
> ‘Governments also regulate HOAs'
> Correct, our great Commonwealth does! Here is the
> link:
> d+TOC55000000026000000000000

You can substitute significant if you don't like the use of real.

Date: October 09, 2012 12:46PM

Thanks for the informative response!

‘It can go beyond that'
...to the courts.

"FCC Allows Loopholes"
We can easily substitute the word FCC with governments.

‘when developers/builders/sales people/sellers aren't real keen to point out the potential'
I agree 100%! And who are left with the fallout?

But none of these are complaints towards the mgmt co.

No thanks (), you are exactly who is needed on the HOA boards. I'm sorry you left.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:05PM

These are classic:

"Shutup, move out or join the board."

"People who want to make sure their biggest investment is secure and increases in value."

"People who understand that their neighbors can have an impact on the value of their home, their quality of life and their pursuit of happiness."

"If you've got a better way of doing it, please by all means join the board and make a difference."

"There are way too many socially unpredictable people out here (who are under a lot of stress) to be knocking on doors and asking them to mow their lawn. Isn't it nice that your HOA Mgmt company deals with them, not you?"

"Not every neighbor is a good neighbor."

"There are plenty of great HOAs out there who's volunteers keep our home values up, our neighborhoods beautiful and our surroundings safe."

You'll be fed well here, HOA MGR....

Posted by: A home that is also a house. ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:31PM

Berdhuis Wrote:
> These are classic:
>
> "Shutup, move out or join the board."
>
> "People who want to make sure their biggest
> investment is secure and increases in value."
>
> "People who understand that their neighbors can
> have an impact on the value of their home, their
> quality of life and their pursuit of happiness."
>
> "If you've got a better way of doing it, please by
> all means join the board and make a difference."
>
> "There are way too many socially unpredictable
> people out here (who are under a lot of stress) to
> be knocking on doors and asking them to mow their
> lawn. Isn't it nice that your HOA Mgmt company
> deals with them, not you?"
>
> "Not every neighbor is a good neighbor."
>
> "There are plenty of great HOAs out there who's
> volunteers keep our home values up, our
> neighborhoods beautiful and our surroundings
> safe."
>
> You'll be fed well here, HOA MGR....

Please keep the place looking like shit because I ain't selling and I pay to much in personel property tax. I did;t buy the fucking place as an investment. I bought it to raise the family and they would always have a home. Over the years I've had one or two neighbors who wern't worth a damn but the trick is to be meanner and nastier.It has always worked. Must neighbors are good friends. And we don't have no stinkin HOA trying to run our homes.
Love my old house. And I'll leave it to the kids. If this house could talk....

Gosh, sometimes the internet is soooo cool LoLz
Date: October 09, 2012 01:35PM

@Berdhuis - are you insinuating that HOA MGR feels he/she's better than the rest of us gutter trash?

..............for SHAME, Berdhuis. LoLz

pic unrelated
Attachments:
HOA-3.jpg

Date: October 09, 2012 02:03PM

A home that is also a house. () "Over the years I've had one or two neighbors who wern't worth a ----"

HOA MGR () "Not every neighbor is a good neighbor."

Hmm, I guess we agree.

"And we don't have no stinkin HOA trying to run our homes. "
Why are you on this forum then?

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: October 09, 2012 02:12PM

@ Gordon Blvd and A home...

HOA MGR is either a very clever troll, or poetically self-absorbed and delusional about what really drives housing prices.

HOA's statements are collectively outrageous, plausible, narcissistic, common, eloquent, blunt, subtle and naive.

A brilliant troll would know how to tap into a popular sentiment, offend it repeatedly with thinly veiled innocence, yet leave crumbs of disbelief behind as an irresistible tease.

A self-absorbed, delusional and, perhaps paranoid, person would continue to bleat about the efficacy of HOA's towards improving our lives in some meaningful way, believe it, and then rigorously defend that position with the above quoted gems.

Posted by: A home is warm ()
Date: October 09, 2012 02:29PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
>
>
> "And we don't have no stinkin HOA trying to run
> our homes. "
> Why are you on this forum then?

Retired , cold outside and bored of election coverage.
Why ain't you working?

Thanks Berdhuis. Insightful info.

Date: October 09, 2012 02:37PM

This thread has derailed into an HOA vs. non-HOA argument. Let's get it back on track about how shitty Sequoia is. Because they are shitty.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:15PM

Yea, I'm the troll..

User Profile : Gordon Blvd
Email: Hidden
Real Name: Apparently Caleb something or another............ o_0

5,077 posts in less than a 2 year span.....I do like his unrelated pics tho.

Date: October 09, 2012 05:27PM

HOA MGR is either a very clever troll, or poetically self-absorbed and delusional

exactly. i can't quite decide if i'm watching a trainwreck in progress or a ballet. i'm wavering back and forth myself.

uh oh.............here we go again.
Date: October 09, 2012 06:07PM

HOA MGR's getting all kinda-obsessed...............hmm, where have I seen THIS before? LoLz

pic unrelated
Attachments:
dancing man.jpg

Posted by: ann stanaway ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:33PM

It may not be the management company. Remember, the management company does not act without Board direction. I sued my Board and won. See just how horrible a Board can be at http://www.nodailyfines.com

Posted by: Back on track? ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:44PM

ann stanaway Wrote:
> It may not be the management company. Remember,
> the management company does not act without Board
> direction. I sued my Board and won. See just how
> horrible a Board can be at
> http://www.nodailyfines.com

Congratulations and thank-you

Date: October 10, 2012 08:12AM

ann stanaway, sorry it came to that. Suing the board is a double edged sword. Remember, the costs that the board incur get paid by your dues. If the board spends $10,000.00 in legal fees, your dues pay it. Also, most lenders will not lend in an association that is in or has recently been in a law suit.

"the management company does not act without Board direction"
This just needed to be repeated.

"the management company does not act without Board direction" This just needed to be repeated.
Date: October 10, 2012 08:38AM

are we supposed to drink the kool-aid as we repeat "the mantra"?

please note that it's cool that board members have NO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY at all to the communities they hold sway over

but it's not so cool for you to sue them to stand up for your rights (since you know, you're only hurting yourself)

what sorta bullshit it that?

Date: October 10, 2012 10:37AM

I can't wait until the next expansion pack for World of Warcraft comes out so Gordon Blvd will slink back down into his parents basement and focus on more important issues rather than trying to divert attention from valid points posted on this forum.

If I had used the word ‘needs', then your ‘mantra' comment would have been relevant. I used ‘needed' referring to what was just said, not what needs to be continually said.

Those who don't attend meetings or join the board show ‘NO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY' for their neighborhood's problems. Please put down your cup of kool-aid and help fix the problems. Whatever you define the problem to be, join. Hmm, I guess that's my mantra "Join, help out and make a difference".

My point about the cause an effect of suing your HOA was meant to be informative, not ‘cool'.

‘What sort of b-s- is that?'
Its called state legislation. Which along with your bylaws, your mgmt co and your board members, can be changed.

Date: October 10, 2012 12:01PM

I can't wait until the next expansion pack for World of Warcraft comes out so Gordon Blvd will slink back down into his parents basement and focus on more important issues

says the guy who's keeping us all safe by inspecting the height of the neighbors' grass every week. WATCH OUT!! THAT HOUSE HAS SHUTTERS THAT ARE STARTING TO GET SUN-FADED. Save us, mighty HOA MGR, save us! And dude! Did you see that the number stickers on that mailbox are a slightly different size than the one next door? The tragedy of it all!

cause you see, kids - it's now WHAT you know that matters in life..............
Date: October 10, 2012 12:05PM

my, aren't you nasty - some GREAT leadership skills you show there, MGR

cant imagine why others view their HOA ppl as stuck up snots and whatnot.

but I can imagine how someone would feel paying the same dues as their neighbor does, but not be able to have the same protections their HOA gives other - something I never really thought about before, but now believe happens QUITE a bit based on this thread and your comments on it (if you are indeed a real HOA mgr)

OP's initial post points this out - one member gets fined for little things yet other neighbor gets away with violations.

I made a smart assed comment about HOA management and got targeted by YOU like I'm a bad neighbor that should be avoided - which would be all fine and dandy if yr just another troll - but if yr coming on this thread like a real HOA leader? Well this attitude you have is PATHETIC!

You put out there comments that lead ppl to believe they may not get fair treatment from you in a legit dispute involving a neighbor - no matter what the by-laws say.

And worse, you act like ppl who arent active in HOA matters are not worthy of rights or have no reason to disagree with the direction the HOA is going.

Well let me tell you something, asshole - IF SOMEONE IS PAYING DUE$ THEN THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO BITCH ABOUT SHIT IF THE HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE HOA!

If you really are an HOA leader and you are seriously sitting here saying "Those who don't attend meetings or join the board show ‘NO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY' for their neighborhood's problems. " - well that's just fucked up. I dont know what other ppls schedules are like and NEITHER DO YOU and to write ppl off like that - well, as a leader that's just sad and to me, REALLY reveling as to why ppl hate their HOA's so much

As a leader, you need to change your attitude towards those who disagree with you. I can tell you that your demeanor to me on this thread tells me that if you were my HOA mgr, you'd have an initial problem with me just based on who you think I am, and how you percieve me as a person.

WHICH WOULD SUCK if I owned a home in yr community cause it's kinda obvious to anyone from reading this thread how I'd get judged in a HOA dispute with you running things no matter what the by-laws said.........If you could care less about how homeowners (who are not on the board) in yr association feel, then yeah, your attitude on this thread reflects that.

p.s. for the record, I like my HOA - but that's cause they actually give a fuck about ppl and are pretty respectful no matter what games they play ........

edit - I'm more a Need for Speed guy myself.................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 12:34PM by Gordon Blvd.

Date: October 10, 2012 01:40PM

You two make quite a team. While Curmudgeon blows everything out of proportion, Gordon Blvd uses foul language to attack, divide and avoid. You guys should wear matching capes.

Sorry if my posts are too blunt for you two and I thank you for all your helpful responses.

‘p.s. for the record, I like my HOA'
Hmmm, the topic of this thread is what?

cause you see it's only CERTAIN neighbors worthy of a response, you see..............
Date: October 10, 2012 01:55PM

ROFLMAO!! So do you blow off homeowners in yr association (who arent on the board) who have complaints as easily as you do ppl here?

my office workers here have pointed out to me that you focused on only THREE words out of the over 480 plus words I put out there.

and from those THREE words, a judgement call is made by you, and all the other four hundred eighty/ four hundred ninety-some words are completely ignored.

That's just some shitty leadership, there.

I cant even imagine how OP and others feel they are getting rooked by their manangement companies LoLz

but whateves - continue on this path you are VERY reveling yourself (I seriously never realized what OP and others go thru with ppl like you) and we thank you for all YOUR helpful responses ;)

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.