HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
$900 cab ride
Posted by: true story ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:17PM

I am not exactly sure what cab etiquette is but a very odd thing happened to my friend's parents the other day,

Her father and his new wife live in a retirement community in an apartment. They both appear to be suffering from early dementia as the below story describes their actions.

One evening after going out to dinner, the couple decided to go for a drive. It is unclear where their ultimate destination was. My friend speculated it was either to their home in the mountains or down south where they often vacation.

They drove until they ran out of gas and knocked on the door of a complete stranger who called a cab for them.

The couple got into the cab. After driving for hours in basically a circle. It is unclear what they told the cabbie was their ultimate destination. Here is where I have a problem.

The cabbie drove them around for 8 hours. YES, EIGHT HOURS. Before he became tired as his shift was over and ended up dropping the couple off at a police station. The cab fare was $900 for this 8 hour joyride.

My friend gets a call from the cops and she picks them up finding out about the cab ride and takes them back to the retirement community--and taking their car with her-to avoid a repeat episode.

She actually paid the cabbie the fare.

Is that the dumbest thing?

I really feel like the cabbie took advantage of them and should have realized that this elderly couple was confused and he shouldn't have driven them in circles all night.

Anyone agree with me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: $900 cab ride
Posted by: Taylor ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:24PM

Wait a minute, you Friend went and picked up YOUR elderly parents, gave them a ride back home, arranged for their car to be taken back to their place, and PAID THEIRt $900 CAB FARE, and then you call her "DUMB"?!?!?!?

Holy FUCK! You are an ass-hat. Thank God for your Parents that your Friend cared about their well being more than you did. (Interesting that the Cops called her instead of you, isn't it?)

You OWE her $900, and you should kick her an extra $100 for all of her time and effort in caring for YOUR Parents, (Douche!)

Posted by: Read it again, Taylor ()
Date: August 28, 2012 06:30PM

You got the details wrong
OP clearly said 'my friend's parents."

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: August 28, 2012 07:10PM

That cab driver is an ass! He should of called the police for help if they could not tell him were they wanted to go. He should be charge with kidnapping. End of story.

Posted by: Taylor=fuckin idiot ()
Date: August 28, 2012 07:33PM

Taylor is an illiterate moron. And cabbies aren't elderly care experts. at least they were safe in the cab, the driver could have dropped them off in the middle of nowhere. He babysat them for $66 each per hour, and be grateful they ended up safe.

Date: August 28, 2012 08:04PM

Read it again, Taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You got the details wrong
> OP clearly said 'my friend's parents."

You're right. I did read it wrong. Apologies to the OP. I'm glad that it wasn't what I thought it was.

Taylor=fuckin idiot Wrote:
> Taylor is an illiterate moron.

I'll work harder at it JUST for you, Girlfriend. Smooches!

Posted by: fire starter ()
Date: August 28, 2012 08:55PM

People with dementia/Alzheimer's should just be euthanized. Personally, that is what I would want for myself rather than spending who knows how many years living as a mindless zombie. They only suffer and no longer serve any purpose. I have witnessed the quality of life/care in nursing homes, and it is abominable. Euthanasia should become a valid choice in the United States.

Date: August 28, 2012 09:03PM

fire starter Wrote:
> People with dementia/Alzheimer's should just be
> euthanized. Personally, that is what I would want
> for myself rather than spending who knows how many
> years living as a mindless zombie. They only
> suffer and no longer serve any purpose. I have
> witnessed the quality of life/care in nursing
> homes, and it is abominable. Euthanasia should
> become a valid choice in the United States.

The problem is that unless they've thought about it beforehand, once they're no longer competent, they can't make that decision for themselves. That means that you have to give a Friend or Family member the legal right to kill them.

We have a hard enough time untangling the legalities to be merciful to patients that have been brain dead and on a respirator for the last 10 years. Imagine the difficulty in trying to do that with a person who is physically healthy, able to walk and talk, and has just lost their mental faculties.

Then people will start making noise about how this opens the door to euthanizing younger people who have brain damage or mental birth defects.

Never going to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 09:03PM by Taylor.

Posted by: fire starter ()
Date: August 28, 2012 09:18PM

Taylor Wrote:
> fire starter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > People with dementia/Alzheimer's should just be
> > euthanized. Personally, that is what I would
> want
> > for myself rather than spending who knows how
> many
> > years living as a mindless zombie. They only
> > suffer and no longer serve any purpose. I have
> > witnessed the quality of life/care in nursing
> > homes, and it is abominable. Euthanasia should
> > become a valid choice in the United States.
>
>
> The problem is that unless they've thought about
> it beforehand, once they're no longer competent,
> they can't make that decision for themselves. That
> means that you have to give a Friend or Family
> member the legal right to kill them.
>
> We have a hard enough time untangling the
> legalities to be merciful to patients that have
> been brain dead and on a respirator for the last
> 10 years. Imagine the difficulty in trying to do
> that with a person who is physically healthy, able
> to walk and talk, and has just lost their mental
> faculties.
>
> Then people will start making noise about how this
> opens the door to euthanizing younger people who
> have brain damage or mental birth defects.
>
> Never going to happen.

I hear ya'.

Posted by: holy moly ()
Date: August 29, 2012 12:18AM

Better question is why are they out driving? As far as the cab ride, services were rendered and fee has to be paid. If they lack the capacity to make decision on their own, they should not be allowed to wander the streets for their safety and others.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.