HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ski Slopes?
Posted by: WhereToSkiOrSnowboard ()
Date: December 09, 2005 08:15PM

Where's the best place to go skiing or snowboarding??

High Verticles. Long green slopes. Weaving trails. Lots of little jumps.
That's what I'm looking for.
Someplace within 5 hours of D.C.

I've been put in charge of organizing a group ski trip by my friends.

Let me know if you want to come with us.
STD-free people only.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ski Slopes?
Posted by: Bballr ()
Date: December 09, 2005 08:30PM

There is a place called Dees.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: December 09, 2005 08:46PM

WV or the Catskills, though depends on what you mean by big vertical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2005 08:48PM by mad max, JD.

Posted by: Death is a Tax ()
Date: December 09, 2005 09:59PM

Take my girlfriend, she bitches (I consider "hinting" to be bitching) about going skiing and it's fucking irritating already.

She better be STD free or I'm going to have a very predictable angry reaction involving violence. And you better not touch her, or I am going to have a very predictable angry reaction involving violence.

I'm not going because I don't want to end up like Tony Danza, Sonny Bono, Patrick Kennedy, christ the list of celebrity skiing disasters is a long one.

- D.I.T.

Date: December 09, 2005 10:12PM

I heard about the other ones, but what happened to tony danza? I saw him in Crash, so he's still working.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: December 10, 2005 02:06AM

There's nothing worthwhile in the area. Just suck it up and go to Vermont.

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: December 10, 2005 06:37PM

Snowshoe Mountain in West VA or Seven Springs near Pittsburgh are the best within 5 hours of NOVA. Both are about 4 hours away. Don't bother going anywhere in VA, they all suck ass unless you want to see what it's like skiing/boarding on an ice rink.

I, on the other hand, have a plane ticket to Colorado for a 5-day snowboarding trip over New Year's. Commence envy as you see appropriate.

Date: December 10, 2005 06:54PM

Well I'm going to 1-up you and let everyone know I'm going to be skiing at Garmisch-Partenkirchen over New Year's. Yes, it was the site of the 1936 Olympics.

Posted by: Death is a Tax ()
Date: December 10, 2005 08:49PM

Danza got into some accident where he broke six ribs skiing in 1993 or 94... yeah it doesn't sound that bad when I say it out loud

I was really just stretching for celebrity ski accidents so I could make it seem all dangerous.

Anyone who drives the roads around here is in far more danger every day, so I guess skiing isn't so bad.

Date: December 11, 2005 02:54PM

Well of course it's dangerous. I have friends that have broken arms, one broke his femur (yeah, the big upper bone in your leg...ouch) and I was an acquaintence of a guy who died skiing. However good you are, accidents can happen. There are much more dangerous hobbies/sports/activities that you can do though.

Where is Garmisch-Partenkirchen? The farthest I've traveled for snowboarding is Jay's Peak in Vermont, which was pretty awesome but not any better than Seven Springs.

Date: December 11, 2005 03:54PM

Garmisch is in southern Bavaria, right on the border with Austria. When I bought the tickets, it was actually cheaper than any of the trips I was looking at in CO, NV, or Canada. $642/person for airfare and 5 nights hotel on expedia. I have to buy train and lift tickets when I get there, but the euro has weakened significantly in the past few months and it should still be a relatively cheap vacation.

http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de/en/72b9e0ba-404b-d981-3876-c7c0d5fcabc1.html

Date: December 11, 2005 07:23PM

Sounds pretty rad. I have a buddy in the Air Force that's stationed in Colorado Springs so that's why I'm going there. No hotel to deal with so like $325 before lift tickets/food/debauchery. I expect to be able to keep it under $700 total.

Come to think of it, having a friend in the Air Force is probably one of the best things that's happened to me. He was the reason I was able to go to Vegas for Spring Break my senior year (got stationed out there right after college).

Posted by: Ted Schlamme ()
Date: December 11, 2005 07:44PM

Everyone knows the Air Force puts you on a fast track for the presidency, and those guys also get the best drugs and hookers, and they get to kill people too.

We could ALL use a friend in the Air Force. Mine is John P Jumper.

Posted by: skiguy ()
Date: April 29, 2013 01:20PM

You have to go out west. I really like Park City, Utah.

Posted by: ski ()
Date: April 29, 2013 06:58PM

Best terrain close by is Snowshoe WV or Blue Knob PA. Seven Springs is a party atmosphere, fair amount of trails but not very challenging. Elk Mtn, PA or Hunter Mtn NY are a little further away and slightly better terrain. Beware of the obnoxious NYC drunks in the lodge at Hunter.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.