HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Herndon couple denied dog from county shelter
Posted by: Herndon Follies ()
Date: August 12, 2012 12:37PM

Herndon couple denied dog from county shelter
Zoning ordinance keeps some from adopting
by Gregg MacDonald Staff writer
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20120810/NEWS/708109882/1117/herndon-couple-denied-dog-from-county-shelter&template=fairfaxTimes

This story was corrected at 4:52 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10. An explanation follows the story.

A Fairfax County zoning ordinance is keeping some residents from adopting dogs from the county’s animal shelter.

Section 2-512 of the ordinance states residents seeking to keep three dogs on their property must have a home on a lot measuring at least 12,500 square feet. The ordinance does not take into consideration the breed or size of any dog. For cats, the ordinance has no such restrictions.

The ordinance exempts only “existing dogs” that have been continually kept on a smaller lot “prior to Oct. 11, 1977.”

“I don’t know any 35-year-old dogs still living, do you?” asked Roy Perkins, a Herndon attorney who in late July was prevented from adopting a Pekingese dog from the shelter because he and his wife already own two Pekingese dogs, and live in a home on a 10,000-square-foot lot.

A Pekingese is considered a toy breed that is about a foot long and stands an average of 9 inches tall, according to the American Kennel Club.

“We are responsible pet owners and have plenty of room,” Erika Perkins said. “We saw a Pekingese at the shelter and very much wanted to adopt it, but we were denied because of this ridiculous law. How many dogs are killed each year because they don’t get adopted? Here we are trying to adopt one and they tell us we can’t.”

According to state records, the Fairfax County Animal Shelter euthanized 1,239 animals in 2011, including 600 dogs, but Shelter Director Karen Diviney says no animals are ever euthanized for space considerations alone.

“In our history there were times that we did that, but no longer,” she said. “Through a rescue partner network and an extensive foster program, we find homes for all our adoptable animals.”

Still, the zoning ordinance prevents some county resident from adopting dogs in need of permanent homes.

“We don’t really keep track of how many people are refused adoption due to the county zoning ordinance,” said Michelle Hankins, community outreach program manager for the shelter. “But we must abide by all county ordinances and state laws.”

The Perkins say the ordinance should take into account the size of the dogs in question, as well as the lot size.

Small dogs have no problems being adopted out from the county shelter and Diviney said she feels that changing the zoning ordinance would have no overall effect on the number of dogs adopted.

But for the Perkins, who wanted to adopt a dog and were denied, that is small consolation.

“We think we can handle three Pekingese dogs, which are smaller than most cats,” Roy Perkins said.

Many animal rights organizations tend to look down at lot-size restrictions when it comes to pet adoptions, said Heather Bialy, director of shelter services for the Humane Society of the United States.

“I understand the concept,” she said. “Limits are made to prevent hoarding and other unsanitary and detrimental conditions for animals and their owners, but they also inadvertently punish responsible pet owners. Proper pet care has nothing to do with space and everything to do with responsibility. There are people who can properly take care of three dogs in one apartment — and others who may have an acre of land but can’t properly take care of one dog.”

When it comes to regulating pet ownership, Bialy said her organization advocates local governments to adopt responsible owner laws in place of lot-size restrictions.

“We would be happy to reach out to Fairfax County and help them make the transition,” she said.

A special permit for a zoning appeal can be applied for by residents seeking an exception to the existing three-dog rule, Fairfax County spokesman Brian Worthy said.

“Once the permit application is accepted, there will be a public hearing within 90 days,” he said.

But for the Perkins, the point is now moot.

“The Pekingese we wanted is no longer there,” Erika Perkins said. “We were going to pursue the special permit but when we went back to the shelter, the Pekingese was already gone. Fortunately, I was told that it had been adopted and had not been put to sleep.”

According to Diviney, that was never an issue. “That dog was quickly adopted and was never in any danger of being euthanized,” she said.

This story was updated to clarify that animals are not euthanized for overcrowding at the Fairfax County Animal Shelter.

Shamus Ian Fatzinger/Fairfax County Times
Roy and Erika Perkins with their dogs, Haydin and Bonnie Poo, in their Herndon backyard.
Attachments:
AR-708109882.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Herndon couple denied dog from county shelter
Posted by: Que? ()
Date: August 12, 2012 12:48PM

How am I the first to point out that, per that picture, the man already appears to have three dogs? All three appear to be pekinese.

This law exists only so neighbors don't complain about "twenty dogs" next door. It makes sense to legally keep hoarders from adopting dog after dog, having the best intentions but not being able to take care of them, but hurts the people who have the means, but live on 1/4 acre and want a 4th dog.
This, as well as the asinine fucking Bully breed regulations should not be generalized, but examined on a case by case basis.

Far too many animals are euthanized.

Posted by: lindawmn ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:20PM

Can you point out the third dog please? I see two. Or are you simply being rude?

Posted by: nate the snake ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:25PM

Good for these folks for trying to help out a shelter dog. I went to the shelter once and found the desk clerk very rude to people. One guy said his room mate had left town and he couldnt care for the dog. The guy was pretty shook up but you could tell he didnt really want to surrender the dog. The lady was loudly telling him to make up his mind. No compassion whatsoever. She was really in the wrong job.

Posted by: say ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:28PM

More typical bullshit from the mindless Fairfax County bureaucrats.

Posted by: blake lane 73 ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:48PM

Food is a basic human right. This is an outrage. Poodle Pupusas are awesome.

Posted by: blake lane 73 ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:49PM

AY Chihuaua

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: August 12, 2012 03:17PM

Maybe they need to suffer a dearth of pet adopters so that they'll set reasonable standards.

My first thought is to lie on the forms. Give them the answers that they want to see, pay your fee, and GTFO. Anything past that is a hassle.

They're approaching the standards for adopting a child. My adoptions from the non-profits that work from PetCo/PetSmart/etc were invasive. If it gets any worse, I will pay an extra couple hundred dollars to get a purebred with no question asked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/23/fashion/thursdaystyles/23pets.html?pagewanted=all

Posted by: Fully Agree. ()
Date: August 12, 2012 04:09PM

wnrsm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> They're approaching the standards for adopting a
> child. My adoptions from the non-profits that
> work from PetCo/PetSmart/etc were invasive.

You are so right. HART is among the worst when it comes to invasive and belittling adoptive procedures. They act as though you have to prove that you are worthy to adopt a dog. And force you to sign a contract that allows them to take your pet back if they feel you become unworthy down the road.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: August 12, 2012 07:02PM

wnrsm Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> They're approaching the standards for adopting a
> child. My adoptions from the non-profits that
> work from PetCo/PetSmart/etc were invasive. If it
> gets any worse, I will pay an extra couple hundred
> dollars to get a purebred with no question asked.
>

puppy mills FTW!!

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: August 12, 2012 08:58PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> puppy mills FTW!!

Not my first choice, but rapidly becoming our only choice.

Posted by: HART = A-Holes ()
Date: August 13, 2012 01:02AM

I went to one of their adoption days at Petsmart about 10-12 years ago. They explained to me that they accepted applications and tried to find the best home for each pet. There was no "1st come, 1st served". EVERYONE that wanted to apply for a pet was given the opportunity. When I asked about a dog I was interested in I was told, "we have already received enough applications for that dog". Say what???? I questioned this response based on what I was previously told. I was them allowed to apply. After several weeks went by and I didn't hear anything about the dog I went to another adoption day. When I asked about this dog I was told, "we would never allow you to adopt a pet from us because you are rude". I suppose if questioning someone who doesn't follow their own rules is rude.....then I'm rude.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: August 13, 2012 05:46PM

HART = A-Holes Wrote:
> I didn't hear anything about the dog I went to
> another adoption day. When I asked about this dog
> I was told, "we would never allow you to adopt a
> pet from us because you are rude".

Doesn't suprise me. The application alone was enough to keep me from even trying.

I read an article earlier this year about a woman (not in this area, though) who was denied a dog because she didn't have a fenced-in yard. The lady lived on 150 acres.

Posted by: Denier ()
Date: August 13, 2012 05:51PM

Too much poop for that size lot.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: August 13, 2012 06:16PM

There was an interesting article regarding this in Slate a few months ago --"No Pet for You" written by the lady who writes the Dear Prudence advice column. The standards these groups have are so ridiculous, they think they are the only ones deserving of these pets who need a forever home, not a bunch of runaround that turns people off.

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: August 13, 2012 07:37PM

It's easy enough to find someone on Craigslist who's looking to give away their pet. It's a shame that adoption procedures are so invasive, but there are ways around it.

Posted by: PetLover ()
Date: August 13, 2012 09:41PM

It is so much easier to adopt outside of FFX County. Look at Grassroots Animal Rescue. They sometimes find volunteers to drive animals up here. The dogs are fostered and many of them are fostered with Veterinary Students at the Veterinary School at Mississippi State University.

http://grassrootsanimalrescue.com/

Posted by: SuzyQ ()
Date: August 14, 2012 07:43PM

I agree Fairfax County Animal Shelter makes it difficult and almost impossible to adopt. Unfortunately, I'd bet the dog mentioned in the article was adopted and was not euthanized. The pit bulls and pit mixes that are there do not get adopted as easily. A friend spends a few days a week there as a volunteer and always describes wonderful, affectionate pit bull dogs. The just like sitting on laps and watching the world. Smart, too.

It's sad - the people working there often do not seem interested at all in getting animals adopted into good homes. They save the purebreds for rescue leagues even when there are interested adopters, and they are often abrasive to families that come to adopt.

It's sad - it should be about the animals.

And before I get attacked for mentioning pit bulls - I'm neither for or against them as they are animals and deserve good care and love. It's sad they are there, sad people turned them in, and sad that awesome and affectionate dogs are discarded just for being pit bulls. However, I do recognize that they can be dangerous, as can any dog. I have been bitten in an unprovoked attack by a neighbots pit, but I've also been bitten by a collie, dachsund, snake, gecko, llama, turtle, camel, horse, rat, hampster, cat, and iguana. I would rather be bitten by all of the above a second time than one more single bite from a pit - that shit is intense.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:55PM

PetLover Wrote:
> It is so much easier to adopt outside of FFX
> County. Look at Grassroots Animal Rescue. They
> sometimes find volunteers to drive animals up
> here. The dogs are fostered and many of them are
> fostered with Veterinary Students at the
> Veterinary School at Mississippi State
> University.
>
> http://grassrootsanimalrescue.com/

Why transfer animals up here when there are already animals in shelters here?

Posted by: Guest 123 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 02:33PM

Fully Agree. Wrote:

>
> You are so right. HART is among the worst when it
> comes to invasive and belittling adoptive
> procedures. They act as though you have to prove
> that you are worthy to adopt a dog. And force you
> to sign a contract that allows them to take your
> pet back if they feel you become unworthy down the
> road.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. about 12 years ago, I went to a HART adoption. I finally had graduated highschool, had a steady job, and was looking for a companion dog. They gave me hell about adopting a dog, saying that they pictured the dog to be with a family with little kids because she was such a great dog, and that they thought I was too young to adopt a dog (I was 18), and that I couldn't possibly be a good dog owner.
12 years later, I still have this dog, and never thought for a second about not having her in my life. I am still offended by what they thought about me not being a good candidate for adopting.
Would I adopt a dog again? Absolutely.

I feel badly for the couple not able to adopt from the shelter. I hope they find another dog they love and are able to adopt!

Posted by: HART = A-Holes ()
Date: August 15, 2012 04:06PM

Guest 123 Wrote:
> Fully Agree. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > You are so right. HART is among the worst when
> it
> > comes to invasive and belittling adoptive
> > procedures. They act as though you have to
> prove
> > that you are worthy to adopt a dog. And force
> you
> > to sign a contract that allows them to take
> your
> > pet back if they feel you become unworthy down
> the
> > road.
>
>
>
>
> I couldn't agree more with this statement. about
> 12 years ago, I went to a HART adoption. I finally
> had graduated highschool, had a steady job, and
> was looking for a companion dog. They gave me hell
> about adopting a dog, saying that they pictured
> the dog to be with a family with little kids
> because she was such a great dog, and that they
> thought I was too young to adopt a dog (I was 18),
> and that I couldn't possibly be a good dog owner.
> 12 years later, I still have this dog, and never
> thought for a second about not having her in my
> life. I am still offended by what they thought
> about me not being a good candidate for adopting.
>
> Would I adopt a dog again? Absolutely.
>
> I feel badly for the couple not able to adopt from
> the shelter. I hope they find another dog they
> love and are able to adopt!

After HART told me they would not allow me to adopt one of their dogs due to my rudeness (I questioned them about not following their own rules) I went elsewhere and got a dog, and like you, 12 years later I still have the same dog. HART = A-Holes

Posted by: petlover ()
Date: August 15, 2012 09:35PM

Why because there are so many kill shelters in other areas and the groups that are going in a saving the dogs/cats don't put the potential new families through the BS that HART and other organizations do up here. They are truly looking for a permanent loving home for each pet and the fosters are generally students and vet students who just love these animals. They don't have the attitudes that HART and their "fosters" do. These kids use their own money and hold bake sales to raise the money needed to pay for the spay/neuters and any medical treatment these animals need. They do it because it is their passion!!!

That is WHY I suggested this website.

Posted by: c ()
Date: August 16, 2012 05:24AM

I think the writer misunderstood. Grassroots shelter doesn't transfer the animals up here to a shelter. You can adopt from them and it sounds like in some cases they will bring the animal up here to you.

Some of the posts in this thread gave me a lot of good laughs!

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 16, 2012 07:33AM

I saw this news story and the first thought I had when reading it was "entitlement"

We all know why the law is there - just cause yr rich doesnt give you the right to bypass it - ad whining about it in the local paper and putting the blame of COUNTY LAW on the shelter personnel (like the county shelter ppl decide the law around here) is fucking pathetic.....................

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.