HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where to donate now that Yesterday's Rose is gone?
Posted by: Donate ()
Date: July 31, 2012 02:59PM

Ideas on where to donate now that Yesterday's Rose is gone? Looking for the same type of store/organization that truely gives to the needy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to donate now that Yesterday's Rose is gone?
Posted by: Brown People ()
Date: July 31, 2012 03:01PM

Hey mang...we'll take your shit. Just walk around your neighborhood, chances are you'll find some of us living close...

Posted by: Donater ()
Date: July 31, 2012 03:10PM

Try ECHO (Ecumenical Community Helping Others) on Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield. Most of the clothing and other items go directly to the needy--not sold to the needy.

http://www.echo-inc.org/Donate/UseYourDonation.htm

Posted by: meep ()
Date: July 31, 2012 04:03PM

Thanks Donator for the link, I hate the thought my donations being SOLD.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: July 31, 2012 07:06PM

meep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Donator for the link, I hate the thought my
> donations being SOLD.

Some churches have clothes closests (or at least they used to have them) for needy people. Call around.

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: July 31, 2012 07:48PM

Check with St Stephens UMC on Braddock Road. They run Grace Ministries the last Saturday of the month, where people can get clothes and food.

Posted by: Same Place? ()
Date: July 31, 2012 09:51PM

There is a thrift store right in the old YR location in the green shopping center. Can't you donate there?

Posted by: donor guy ()
Date: August 01, 2012 02:05AM

Try Joseph's Coat in Annandale. Address is 7219 columbia pike. They are some good folks. Its ran by a nonprofit called bethany house of nova. The run shelters for women and children that are victims of domestic violence. They will even pick stuff up from you. Not a major place but they help people locally.

Posted by: Otis Campbell ()
Date: August 01, 2012 08:58AM

"There is a thrift store right in the old YR location in the green shopping center. Can't you donate there"

yeah the new high faluting Goodwill

another place right around the corner from the Yesterday Rose. I believe it has something to do with funding for homeless animals. Located just down the street from Hard Times restaurant on route 123 as you head towards intersection with Main Street. They have a small house with odds and ends for sale around back of the office building on route 123, chain bridge road.

it appears some big turmoil happened with yesterday's rose and the organizations involved with yesterday's rose, withdrew support
yr left lots of items behind after skipping out on 10 year lease

strange end

Posted by: Donate ()
Date: August 02, 2012 06:02PM

Yesterdays Rose was the best to buy used stuff. Too bad that Fairfax County did not move in and help stop the closing of that great store!

Posted by: Kilroy's ()
Date: August 02, 2012 06:05PM

I would recommend donating to Kilroy's in Springfield in the name of Rusty " Ol' Trombone" Hall and Fredrick "Timmaaay" Hall. Rusty is in series need of donations. Poor guy lost his house and everything after his "Ol' Lady" kicked his AMF year Harley ridding tail to the curb.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 02, 2012 07:12PM

For clothes there used to be a charity that was looking for professional clothing to give people to use for job interviews, etc. Can't recall the name though, but perhaps someone else will. For everyday clothing best bet is whatever is easiest. They may sell it or ship it to some third world country, but chances are that it isn't going to end up being worn by some deserving charity case here.

For furniture one option would be ACCA. It stands for something like Annandale Christian Community for Action. Website is http://accacares.org/ They used to provide pickup for furniture and would take bedding.

Posted by: thriftee ()
Date: August 02, 2012 08:35PM

I miss YR. Some of my favorite things are from that store; vintage decor, furniture and NWT items. The location and demographics lent itself to fabulous donations, between elderly residents moving or even dying, really cool stuff was there if you knew trash from treasure.

Anyway, I like Pennywise in Vienna. They are a mission of Holy Comforter Episcopal Church and their profits support many different local charities and they quietly serve the poor by issuing clothing vouchers. Clients can shop and their clothes are free.

Also, try Innova Fair Oaks Thrift Store by Fairfax Circle by Fast Eddie's and Bowl America. Their profit goes to support baby and child health programs. In honor of my three healthy former babies all born at InnovaFO, I am proud to shop and donate there.

Posted by: Fred Sanford ()
Date: August 03, 2012 06:10AM

Humane Society of Fairfax County has a thrift store right next to Hard Times restaurant Fairfax City on Chain Bridge Road. They've got a house around back of the office building.

They also have another location in Falls Church right next to the Taco Bell on route 7.

Posted by: FREE TO ALL ()
Date: August 15, 2012 08:27PM

WHAT HAPPENED TO YR WHERE DID THEY GO?

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 15, 2012 09:07PM

Donate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ideas on where to donate now that Yesterday's Rose
> is gone? Looking for the same type of
> store/organization that truely gives to the needy.

There are tons of good places that donate the majority of their income. There were a few YR's. Where are you looking specifically and we can suggest a good one for that area.

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: August 16, 2012 02:48AM

"WHAT HAPPENED TO YR WHERE DID THEY GO?"

get out of your basement more

Posted by: Bookguy ()
Date: September 12, 2012 05:19PM

So, any news on yr?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.