HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anybody remember Oldies 100.3 on the radio?
Posted by: radioman ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:52PM

Anyone remember when Oldies 100 was on what is now called Big 100.3? That format was excellent. They played so many old classic songs. Now they just play classic rock from the 70s and 80s. Nothing against that music, I just think the other format was a lot better.

Are there any other radio stations that play good oldies music like how Oldies 100 used to play?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody remember Oldies 100.3 on the radio?
Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:53PM

Unless you got satellite or Pandora nope. This area sucks.

Posted by: Radiophiliac ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:50PM

radioman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Are there any other radio stations that play good
> oldies music like how Oldies 100 used to play?

Sadly, no there are none in the DC market anymore. I distinctly remember when 100.3 changed their format, part of the press release included a statement about there would no longer be an oldies station in DC.

Posted by: I miss good music ()
Date: July 23, 2012 04:53PM

I remember hearing Oldies 100 when I was a kid, and they played a lot of 50's and 60's music. Now "oldies" are songs from the 70s and 80s. It seems like classic rock has taken over where oldies were before. I love classic rock, but am worried the same thing will happen to that someday. Especially since 99% of the new music played is garbage.

The music situation is kind of like how old black and white shows used to be on Nick at Nite and now it's Everybody Loves Raymond and The King of Queens. I don't think they qualify as "retro" TV yet.

Posted by: jack alix ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:47PM

WBIG use to have a HD sub channel that played oldies from 50's and 60's but dropped it to have a brokered Chinese radio station

WASH 97.1 has an HD subchannel that plays some stuff from 1960's

WTOP 103.5 has a HD sub channel that plays music from many era's from '50's thru today. sort of a nice mix of old free form radio called GAMUT

yeah the problem is getting a radio that carries HD sub channels (starts around $40 at Best Buy) and a lot of radio stations that had HD sub channels have dropped them over the last year after intial enthusiasm faded and the lack of ad revenue

Date: July 23, 2012 05:48PM

Wolfman Jack, was he on 100.3, or was that another station from back in the day? I know, stretchingggggggggggggggg here folks.

Posted by: say ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:59PM

The original oldies station was WMOD.

Marv Brooks and Dick Lillard were among the DJs

Posted by: Ten Toes in the Grave ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:12PM

I miss good music Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember hearing Oldies 100 when I was a kid,
> and they played a lot of 50's and 60's music. Now
> "oldies" are songs from the 70s and 80s. It seems
> like classic rock has taken over where oldies were
> before. I love classic rock, but am worried the
> same thing will happen to that someday.
> Especially since 99% of the new music played is
> garbage.
>
> The music situation is kind of like how old black
> and white shows used to be on Nick at Nite and now
> it's Everybody Loves Raymond and The King of
> Queens. I don't think they qualify as "retro" TV
> yet.

I agree 100%.

To NRA 75: I think Wolfman Jack was on 1310, WEEL.

Posted by: larry ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:15PM

the wolfman was on wpgc saturday nights. syndicated from nyc. wpgc was a pop/disco station then but he was allowed to play whatever he wanted. they gave away $100 every hour and the slogan was Where People Get Cash

Posted by: propaneBill ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:43PM

105.5 plays bluegrass and other folk music from the 40's and on, however station pickup is poor- only gets reception around herndon, reston, great falls, and then over till about merrifield

Posted by: Tom Kat ()
Date: July 24, 2012 06:00AM

Yeah I use to like listening to that station 105.5 but WAMU(owners of the station) moved from the signal tower they were using in Northern Virginia over to a tower in Mont. Co. Reason being this would improve the broadcast signal thru out D.C. area. Unfortunately, the moved weakened the signal considerably in the toothless fairfax area. Tons of static. I've e- mailed WAMU several times about the situation with no response, shocker. Don't listen very much anymore.

Posted by: Hey, you want a popsicle? ()
Date: July 24, 2012 06:08AM

larry said,"the wolfman was on wpgc saturday nights. syndicated from nyc. wpgc was a pop/disco station then but he was allowed to play whatever he wanted"

are you sure? I seem to remember the last few years of Wolfman Jack's life he was doing a syndicated radio show that he'd do out of Washington,D.C. I'm pretty sure it was carried by 100.3 here in D.C. but was also carried by other radio stations around the country. He lived down in eastern North Carolina in those days(his wife had come from that area) and would come up to D.C. to do the show. At least that's sort of how I remember it.

Posted by: Bob here ()
Date: July 24, 2012 06:13AM

"Dick Lillard were among the DJs"

didn't he move over to WMOD after doing an oldies show on WHFS(Sunday nights?) for a number of years

I seem to recall his daytime job was working for a fire department over in suburban maryland. I guess he's retired these days, Sort of faded away. I've never thought to look and see if he might be doing a podcast somewhere

Posted by: wolfie baby ()
Date: July 24, 2012 02:06PM

The Wolfman was doing Saturday nights on XTRA 104.1 back in the early to mid 90's. He would do the show live from the Hard Rock Cafe in DC.

Wes Johnson, now the Capitals PA guy and top notch voice talent, used to call in and do voices for the Wolfman, including a Bill Clinton that actually fooled Wolfie into thinking it was the REAL Clinton calling in.

Good times.

Date: July 24, 2012 05:47PM

Thanks for all the replies on Wolfman Jack. A legend. Missed, but fun as shit from back in the day.

Posted by: larry ()
Date: July 24, 2012 07:43PM

I guess it depends if your back in the day is the 90's or the 70's as to what station he was on...

http://youtu.be/BIr4To3EzK8

Posted by: Richie Cunningham ()
Date: July 24, 2012 08:58PM

Also, if you're yearning for some Wolfman Jack he was the DJ on the radio in "American Graffiti"...

Posted by: Bob Falfa ()
Date: July 26, 2012 05:20AM

Posted by: Bob Smith ()
Date: July 26, 2012 05:37AM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.