HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Citation on private property
Posted by: AMSL ()
Date: July 08, 2012 01:29PM

The other day I got a warning notice stuck on my window (not a citation) while my car was parked in my condo parking lot from Fairfax County police stating my registration was expired and my car could be towed. Can they do that on private property? And yes my registration is expired but I am out of work and the car needs over $500 in repairs in order to pass emissions to get registration.renewed. Appreciate any remarks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Citation on private property
Posted by: Ye Legal Eagle ()
Date: July 08, 2012 01:31PM

AMSL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The other day I got a warning notice stuck on my
> window (not a citation) while my car was parked in
> my condo parking lot from Fairfax County police
> stating my registration was expired and my car
> could be towed. Can they do that on private
> property? And yes my registration is expired but I
> am out of work and the car needs over $500 in
> repairs in order to pass emissions to get
> registration.renewed. Appreciate any remarks.

YES!!!

Posted by: oogleymoogley ()
Date: July 08, 2012 01:44PM

It was nice they gave you a warning. All stickers have to be valid in a condo parking lot. Your inspection sticker also!!!

Posted by: aw shit ()
Date: July 08, 2012 01:54PM

At my condo, the HOA will have you towed.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: July 08, 2012 02:45PM

if the condo management has a letter on file with fcpd, they can enforce on private property and tow it. if not, im sure they have a private tow company they contract who will just tow it if you have any violations. no ticket, but it will cost more for the tow bill. get your vehicle legal, or it might not be there for long.

Posted by: Dubious legality ()
Date: July 08, 2012 03:10PM

Why not take a pic of a valid registration sticker and print out a copy and tape it on your plate. As long as you're not on driving on the public roads, it should fake out any tow truck driver cruising through your parking lot for an easy victim.

Also, if your inspection sticker is expired, just cover your windshield with a sun shade and park head on against a wall or bush.

Posted by: The BurgerMeister ()
Date: July 08, 2012 03:15PM

aw shit Wrote:
> At my condo, the HOA will have you towed.

We're in a subdivision. Our HOA CC&Rs require all vehicles to be road-worthy, and as a Board member I can have non-operable cars towed if they are stored on a driveway. If they're on the street with an expired sticker, the police will ticket and tow.

As above "get yer vehicle legal".

Posted by: Fu ()
Date: July 08, 2012 03:19PM

Dubious legality Wrote:
> Why not take a pic of a valid registration sticker
> and print out a copy and tape it on your plate. As
> long as you're not on driving on the public roads,
> it should fake out any tow truck driver cruising
> through your parking lot for an easy victim.
>
> Also, if your inspection sticker is expired, just
> cover your windshield with a sun shade and park
> head on against a wall or bush.

Read 46.2-613 (2).....Take your chances but Id rather pay a fine then risk a class 2 misd. Your call.

Posted by: yes ()
Date: July 08, 2012 03:23PM

Yes they can. Condo parking lots arent your property either fyi

Posted by: bobabooie ()
Date: July 08, 2012 03:29PM

I was once in your shoes and was able to drive my car to a friend's house in a non-HOA. If you manage to find a place off road to store you car, don't stop paying your car insurance with out turning in your plates. The DMV ripped me a new one one when I did that.

Posted by: Fu ()
Date: July 08, 2012 03:52PM

Dubious legality Wrote:
> Why not take a pic of a valid registration sticker
> and print out a copy and tape it on your plate. As
> long as you're not on driving on the public roads,
> it should fake out any tow truck driver cruising
> through your parking lot for an easy victim.
>
> Also, if your inspection sticker is expired, just
> cover your windshield with a sun shade and park
> head on against a wall or bush.

Who the fuck puts a sun shade on the outside of the windshield? damn fucktards.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 08, 2012 08:10PM

who cares Wrote:
> if the condo management has a letter on file with
> fcpd, they can enforce on private property and tow
> it. if not, im sure they have a private tow
> company they contract who will just tow it if you
> have any violations. no ticket, but it will cost
> more for the tow bill. get your vehicle legal, or
> it might not be there for long.

Exactly correct. While police can tow, they are usually reluctant to tow off of a condo/hoa property and usually leave it up to the management of the property

Fairfaxunderground rules: Lilliputions, not ok. Midgettville ok. I got it now.

Posted by: Serious ()
Date: July 08, 2012 11:49PM

Just turn in your plate and cancel your insurance.
Then, you don't have to worry!

Posted by: Two Cents ()
Date: July 09, 2012 05:09AM

hello mcfly? Wrote:
> Dubious legality Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why not take a pic of a valid registration
> sticker
> > and print out a copy and tape it on your plate.
> As
> > long as you're not on driving on the public
> roads,
> > it should fake out any tow truck driver
> cruising
> > through your parking lot for an easy victim.
> >
> > Also, if your inspection sticker is expired,
> just
> > cover your windshield with a sun shade and park
> > head on against a wall or bush.
>
>
> You do realize the police have license plate
> readers that scan the plate and find find out
> emission, safety, and registration info
> instantaneously?

EXACTLY!
Attachments:
tumblr_l7rcwxC8FD1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

Posted by: KC ()
Date: September 12, 2012 03:34PM

First of all,

I think it's bullshit that the FFX police are able to come onto PRIVATE property to tend to matters that should be tended to by the community where the cas are parked. We are "sitting" ducks to these asshole with badges. And let me just say, they are ruthless and heartless when they ticket people... Ex.) I received FIVE (5) tickets on my car in less than 3 weeks for the same shit... Looks like to me that they are desperate for money if they need to hit me up with tickets $50-$75 a pop! If the car is parked, they shouldnt be allowed to ticket it! It should be at the communities descretion to enforce the laws stated by the community.
And these "board members" are full of shit! They are just a bunch of people elected to create these stupid rules for a community to run us like a fucking prison. Dont do this, dont do that! We are not children and we do not need someone to tell us how we can or cannot arrange our plants or our window curtains or, without futher adeu, OUR DAMN CARS!
I am planning on selling my car and/or scapping the piece of shit bc it doesnt run and is too much to fix. I've seen these heartless sons of bitches drive around our parking lot like they own this shit! Ticketing cars on every row! So let this be a big "fuck you!" to FFX county! Because I am NOT paying you! It will be a cold day in hell before I give you a fucking dime! :) Have a nice day!

Posted by: FU ()
Date: September 12, 2012 03:36PM

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: September 12, 2012 03:51PM

KC Wrote:
> First of all,
>
> I think it's bullshit that the FFX police are able
> to come onto PRIVATE property to tend to matters
> that should be tended to by the community where
> the cas are parked. We are "sitting" ducks to
> these asshole with badges. And let me just say,
> they are ruthless and heartless when they ticket
> people... Ex.) I received FIVE (5) tickets on my
> car in less than 3 weeks for the same shit...
> Looks like to me that they are desperate for money
> if they need to hit me up with tickets $50-$75 a
> pop! If the car is parked, they shouldnt be
> allowed to ticket it! It should be at the
> communities descretion to enforce the laws stated
> by the community.
> And these "board members" are full of shit! They
> are just a bunch of people elected to create these
> stupid rules for a community to run us like a
> fucking prison. Dont do this, dont do that! We are
> not children and we do not need someone to tell us
> how we can or cannot arrange our plants or our
> window curtains or, without futher adeu, OUR DAMN
> CARS!
> I am planning on selling my car and/or scapping
> the piece of shit bc it doesnt run and is too much
> to fix. I've seen these heartless sons of bitches
> drive around our parking lot like they own this
> shit! Ticketing cars on every row! So let this be
> a big "fuck you!" to FFX county! Because I am NOT
> paying you! It will be a cold day in hell before I
> give you a fucking dime! :) Have a nice day!

If you don't like it, leave or get your car fixed, dumbass. If you can't get your car fixed, then sell it.

Posted by: Say What ()
Date: September 12, 2012 04:30PM

You say the Police stuck a STICKER on your car? Do you have a picture of this sticker? Never heard of ffx police using stickers on cars. I wonder if this is something your property manager had made that has some police info printed on it that you think is from the police.

Most of the time the police do not go looking for stuff on private property for parking tickets unless they got called by your neighbors or property manager.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 12, 2012 08:41PM

The police may not go looking for it, but it is possible they might respond if requested. If the management company knew the vehicle belonged to a resident they might call the police in to deal with the problem.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 12, 2012 09:22PM

This whole thing goes way back like 5 years ago. They were doing this for awhile, but then the appeals court of VA struck it down. They continued to do it anyway, but then your lovely legislature changed the law so they could do it.

See here for more:

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/35428.html

Posted by: Tony ()
Date: September 27, 2013 02:09AM

I second your motion.

Posted by: stever ()
Date: June 09, 2016 08:04PM

I have always supported the police, and don't believe that this is a primarily police department issue. Fairfax County policies have increasingly been driven by GTM - Get The Money

Posted by: Arlington native ()
Date: June 10, 2016 04:20PM

That's nothing. Arlington county manager for years encouraged all residents to rat out and report any neighbors with any automobile violations in garage s and or private property. I hear he retired to the former east Germany. Last I knew he was trying to rebuild the wall with a go fund me account.

Posted by: PJwyE ()
Date: June 12, 2016 01:44PM

> Can they do that on private property?

no, the law specifically forbids it. but va/fx co gov will tell you they can.

Posted by: Y33Tu ()
Date: June 12, 2016 01:45PM

^^ va fx co gov democrat assholes also were giving tickets to cars sitting in the VA state inspection line

they are just facist peices of crap - and go in teh fx co gov center - man of the facist peices of crap are ...

foreigners from facist countries who have a thick accent

Posted by: CYbDn ()
Date: June 12, 2016 03:45PM

PJwyE Wrote:
> > Can they do that on private property?
>
>

> no, the law specifically forbids it. but va/fx co
> gov will tell you they can.
>

They will say they can. And so does Va law, and the courts... weird how they are all wrong and you are right.

Posted by: Likeavirgin ()
Date: April 04, 2017 11:36PM

My father caught one of those citations in prince william county or was it prince george? Whichever, he took it to circuit court and beat it, claiming a violation of equal protection. Homeowners can generally have whatever they want parked in their drive. Most appt parking lots are considered private. I would have to look up the case again but that is the general idea

Posted by: Is nothing sacred ()
Date: April 05, 2017 12:12AM

Just got word that the treasurer can boot or tow cars ON PRIVATE PROPERTY for not being paid up on property taxes. It was specifically pointed out that he/she/they
CAN go on private property (ones driveway) and use the license plate reader to conduct such "collection" efforts. By the way, these are conducted between the hours of 2am-5am.
Why do they get special access?
by the way, I pay my taxes so don't even go there

Posted by: Butt Pirate of the Caribbean ()
Date: April 05, 2017 11:01AM

Be glad you don't live in MD. There, they can come & tow 'em outta' your yard at a house. I knew an old guy who had 5 old broke down cars in his back yard, oone of'em was 34 YO. The County came one day with 3 trucks and a po-po, opened the gate and hooked 'em up. Later 2 trucks came back with a po-po & got the other 2. & they even sent him a bill.

Posted by: Bill S ()
Date: May 17, 2017 09:44AM

What if the car is parked in my driveway with a "car cover" on it? I also have paid property taxes on it and insurance, both up-to-date.
Can they enter my property and lift my car cover and ticket me for an expired registration?

I would think not.

Posted by: work the system ()
Date: May 17, 2017 10:33AM

Sell your old POS car and get an even older POS car that is over 25 years old. No need to register it as an antique, and put antique plates on it, thereby restricting your driving to pleasure cruises, either. You will not need emissions testing on a car 25 years old or older you you can renew your registration without it. So get a 1991 Corolla or something.

Posted by: jgh6f ()
Date: May 17, 2017 12:05PM

The police can go on private property to issue a ticket if they have the permission of the property owner or manager. They can go on private property to issue a ticket if they are otherwise on the property for a valid reason and observe the violation while there. They can go on private property to issue a ticket if the violation is visible from public property or private property where they are entitled to be. The police can go on private property if the violation occurred on public property and the police pursued the violator onto private property. Between these rules the police can usually find some justification for being on private property.

I think Bill S has hit on one way to get around this. If the car is under a cover the police would not have the information needed to know whether there was a violation until they entered private property and lifted up the cover. However the officer can claim that the cover had ridden up just enough for the plate to be visible, thus allowing the officer to get enough information to justify entering the property and writing up a ticket. With your typical Fairfax County District Court judge this story would probably work.

Posted by: Here's THE DEAL ()
Date: May 17, 2017 01:13PM

It's happened to me twice but THIS:

Car is waiting to be repaired. If I don't get around to it and the tags are something like 3 or 4 months expired or more I am still OK if the vehicle has a nice cover on it and it is in my driveway.

If you have neighbors who fight for utopia and your car is not pleasing to their eyes, they can contact the county.

The county then will be forced to come out and serve a warning notice which basically says:

You have 30 days from the issue date of the notice to do 1 of 3 things:

1. Put a (nice) cover on in (be sure it covers the tags to)
or move it to a place on your property where it cannot be seen -- like in a backyard with foilage -- Bushes, trees etc., which completely conceal it from view.

2. Have the vehicle repaired and up to date on safety inspection and tags (emissions testing if needed).

or

3. Have the vehicle towed to another location

OR ELSE:

The county will tow the vehicle FROM your private property and you will be charged towing, impound and storage fees which accumulate with time.

Also you will pay a hefty fine.

I do not know what the fine amount is.

At one point (I don't know if this is still the case)
I received a similar notice years before the more recent one.

Which stated that the fine was something like 2800.00 dollars, and there could be 6 months in jail if I did not comply.

So the law could have been amended -- either way.

order a nice cover for the car.
or fix the car
or tow it to a buddies house
or hide it so it can no longer be seen by the snobby neighbors

or you will have to deal with consequences.

if you no longer want the car -- car a salvage yard who will pick it up for free and even pay you cash in some cases ... better than donating it IMO.

Posted by: Stormfronter ()
Date: May 17, 2017 01:45PM

Here's THE DEAL Wrote:

>
> better than donating it
> IMO.

If you do donate it, don't give it to 1-877-KARS4KIDS. It's really a front for a summer camp for rich kike kids whose parents could afford 2 pay, anyhow. But U know kikes R so cheap they don't want 2 pay 4 anything. They're a lot like negroes that way. If you give Ur car 2 1-877=KARS4KIDS, it pays to keep this summer camp open for these rich kike kids who now get 2 go 2 summer camp for free cuz all these goy dupes handed over their junk cars,

This camp even rips off the counselors. They tell the counselors they're going to pay them a pretty good wage, but they get paid at the end of the camp period. Then, when it's time to pay, they invent all these fees and charges so the counselors barely have enough money for a burger and a coke at Mickey-D's and a bus ticket home.

DOn't give those thieving kikes anything!

Donate it to Melwood or Salvation Army or something, if you must donate it.

Posted by: car wars ()
Date: May 17, 2017 01:55PM

If you ever have neighbors who complain about cars, here is what to do:

Buy the biggest, ugliest, nastiest junker you can find. A large car is best and make sure it is over 25 years old. Register it as an antique. It won't need an inspection and is good to go as long as it doesn't have any obvious visible safety defects such as rotten tires for example.

Then go to town "decorating" your vehicle. Beat some dents in the body with a sledgehammer. Replace the radio antenna with a coat-hanger. Get a couple different ugly offensive colors of house paint and use a paint brush to paint the car. Finish with some spray-paint graffiti. Add multiple obnoxious bumper stickers, and a set of fluorescent-colored simulated testicles to hang below the rear license plate.

I've done this twice in two separate houses when snotty neighbors complained about my (legal) vehicles. It's even better if the car is loud and smokes and/or runs very rich.

Posted by: Bill S ()
Date: May 17, 2017 02:00PM

Here's THE DEAL Wrote:
> It's happened to me twice but THIS:
>
> Car is waiting to be repaired. If I don't get
> around to it and the tags are something like 3 or
> 4 months expired or more I am still OK if the
> vehicle has a nice cover on it and it is in my
> driveway.
>
> If you have neighbors who fight for utopia and
> your car is not pleasing to their eyes, they can
> contact the county.
>
> The county then will be forced to come out and
> serve a warning notice which basically says:
>
>
> You have 30 days from the issue date of the notice
> to do 1 of 3 things:
>
>
> 1. Put a (nice) cover on in (be sure it covers the
> tags to)
> or move it to a place on your property where it
> cannot be seen -- like in a backyard with foilage
> -- Bushes, trees etc., which completely conceal it
> from view.
>
> 2. Have the vehicle repaired and up to date on
> safety inspection and tags (emissions testing if
> needed).
>
> or
>
> 3. Have the vehicle towed to another location
>
>
> OR ELSE:
>
> The county will tow the vehicle FROM your private
> property and you will be charged towing, impound
> and storage fees which accumulate with time.
>
> Also you will pay a hefty fine.
>
> I do not know what the fine amount is.
>
>
> At one point (I don't know if this is still the
> case)
> I received a similar notice years before the more
> recent one.
>
> Which stated that the fine was something like
> 2800.00 dollars, and there could be 6 months in
> jail if I did not comply.
>
> So the law could have been amended -- either way.
>
> order a nice cover for the car.
> or fix the car
> or tow it to a buddies house
> or hide it so it can no longer be seen by the
> snobby neighbors
>
> or you will have to deal with consequences.
>
>
> if you no longer want the car -- car a salvage
> yard who will pick it up for free and even pay you
> cash in some cases ... better than donating it
> IMO.

1. Put a (nice) cover on in (be sure it covers the tags to)

Got this done. Problem solved.

Posted by: Dr. T. Y. Sanchez ()
Date: May 17, 2017 02:24PM

car wars Wrote:
> If you ever have neighbors who complain about
> cars, here is what to do:
>
> Buy the biggest, ugliest, nastiest junker you can
> find. A large car is best and make sure it is
> over 25 years old. Register it as an antique. It
> won't need an inspection and is good to go as long
> as it doesn't have any obvious visible safety
> defects such as rotten tires for example.
>
> Then go to town "decorating" your vehicle. Beat
> some dents in the body with a sledgehammer.
> Replace the radio antenna with a coat-hanger. Get
> a couple different ugly offensive colors of house
> paint and use a paint brush to paint the car.
> Finish with some spray-paint graffiti. Add
> multiple obnoxious bumper stickers, and a set of
> fluorescent-colored simulated testicles to hang
> below the rear license plate.
>
> I've done this twice in two separate houses when
> snotty neighbors complained about my (legal)
> vehicles. It's even better if the car is loud and
> smokes and/or runs very rich.

+1

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:45PM

Interesting. A neighbor has had a 1970s Firebird in his garage for at least 25 years; it still has Oregon tags on it (yes, long expired). He often leaves his garage door open. He's never gotten a ticket on it, but of course this doesn't prove he *couldn't* be cited.

Posted by: Work the system ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:58PM

If it is in his garage it should not matter if it is title, registered, or in many pieces. Opening the garage door should not suddenly make it illegal.

I had a parts car with a broken windshield sitting in the street with no plates in front of my house for 5 years (Falls Church area of FX) as I slowly parted it out to feed another 1960s antique car. It was under a car cover. Never had a problem because my neighbors were very "live and let live".

Again, if your 25 year old car is registered normally you will need a safety inspection, but will be free of the antique designation driving restrictions and will be also free of the obligation to have it emissions tested, and free of the registration renewal hassles go with a failed emissions test. That is the best way to go if you want to drive an old clunker on the cheap. Make sure it is 25 years old or older.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.