HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Survives Blackout, 4 Way Stops- QUIT CRYING ALREADY!
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 05, 2012 08:21AM

Even the dudes in my neighborhood were whining like little old ladies-

"It's DANGEROUS!!, We NEED the POLICE to direct traffic at all these lights!"

"My power has been out ALL WEEKEND! When will they do SOMETHING??"

Fucking crybabies..

This whole blackout thing has been a great indicator of how the people of Fairfax have been able to police themselves and behave, and this happening on week of the 4th of July should make you proud not to be communist.

* People behaved at all way stops at intersections. I saw quite a few fuckheads who never got the memo (or are from way out of state) but people who do understand were cautious.If there were any serious accidents because people ignored the unwritten law to treat this intersections as an all way stop- I didnt hear about them.

* There was no looting or widespread crime. 911 was out and police response and alarm service was probably non-existent, but I haven't heard shit about anyone exploiting this.

For you government lovers who bitched about needing more cops and for you house bound losers who can't live a few days without the boob tube- get lives.

Though I don't wanna go through this again anytime soon, this was nothing to complain about and just reinforced my belief that people are stronger and better than we admit.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Survives Blackout, 4 Way Stops- QUIT CRYING ALREADY!
Posted by: soccer mom ()
Date: July 05, 2012 08:23AM

Attachments:
pic-1-think-of-the-children.jpg

Posted by: Blow my intersection ()
Date: July 05, 2012 08:43AM

The overwhelming number of people I saw blow intersections were ethic, primarily asian. Almost all were on a cell phone.

Posted by: say ()
Date: July 05, 2012 08:53AM

I was surprised at how considerate most drivers were at the affected intersections. Very, very surprised.

BUT, it was the weekend, after all. I believe it's a damned good thing that most all of the lights were back on by Monday morning. There would have been carnage when these motherfuckers switched to their commuting mode.

Posted by: Waaaaaaaaaa ()
Date: July 05, 2012 09:01AM

Aw, someone's still upset about the healthcare ruling. L-O-L

Posted by: Blow my intersection ()
Date: July 05, 2012 09:07AM

If this storm had hit on a Tuesday night, there would have been accidents at every intersection Wednesday. If it had been a Thursday night storm then nobody would have gone to work Friday, so it would have probably been ok.

Posted by: bizkit ()
Date: July 05, 2012 09:14AM

Oh, it's written all right ...

§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.

C. If the traffic lights controlling an intersection are out of service because of a power failure or other event that prevents the giving of signals by the traffic lights, the drivers of vehicles approaching such an intersection shall proceed as though such intersection were controlled by a stop sign on all approaches. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to: intersections controlled by portable stop signs, intersections with law-enforcement officers or other authorized persons directing traffic, or intersections controlled by traffic lights displaying flashing red or flashing amber lights as provided in subsection A.

Posted by: Not this crap again ()
Date: July 05, 2012 12:32PM

Actually, OP sounds like the whiny bitch of his neighborhood. Why would be find the need to complain on a goddamn message board about it?

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 06, 2012 06:38PM

bizkit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, it's written all right ...
>
> § 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.
>
> C. If the traffic lights controlling an
> intersection are out of service because of a power
> failure or other event that prevents the giving of
> signals by the traffic lights, the drivers of
> vehicles approaching such an intersection shall
> proceed as though such intersection were
> controlled by a stop sign on all approaches. The
> provisions of this subsection shall not apply to:
> intersections controlled by portable stop signs,
> intersections with law-enforcement officers or
> other authorized persons directing traffic, or
> intersections controlled by traffic lights
> displaying flashing red or flashing amber lights
> as provided in subsection A.

I only stopped at intersections where opposing traffic was located. If the intersection didn't have any vehicles positioned to make turns or cross it, then I simply slowed down but proceeded through it.

WingNut Wrote:
> Even the dudes in my neighborhood were whining
> like little old ladies-
>
> "It's DANGEROUS!!, We NEED the POLICE to direct
> traffic at all these lights!"
>
> "My power has been out ALL WEEKEND! When will they
> do SOMETHING??"
>
>
> Fucking crybabies..
>
> This whole blackout thing has been a great
> indicator of how the people of Fairfax have been
> able to police themselves and behave, and this
> happening on week of the 4th of July should make
> you proud not to be communist.
>
> * People behaved at all way stops at
> intersections. I saw quite a few fuckheads who
> never got the memo (or are from way out of state)
> but people who do understand were cautious.If
> there were any serious accidents because people
> ignored the unwritten law to treat this
> intersections as an all way stop- I didnt hear
> about them.
>
> * There was no looting or widespread crime. 911
> was out and police response and alarm service was
> probably non-existent, but I haven't heard shit
> about anyone exploiting this.
>
> For you government lovers who bitched about
> needing more cops and for you house bound losers
> who can't live a few days without the boob tube-
> get lives.
>
> Though I don't wanna go through this again anytime
> soon, this was nothing to complain about and just
> reinforced my belief that people are stronger and
> better than we admit.

While I agree with your points, there was in fact quite a bit to complain about, especially for folks who suffered house damage and property destruction, as well as those who had family members/friends die from it. Maybe I read it wrong and you mean that what you're discussing wasn't to be complained about, and in that sense I completely concur.

I saw people screaming at the local gas station and acting like real morons, although I admit it wasn't most of them.

I actually thought that the drivers were MORE considerate with the traffic lights out than they normally are. Yes, I saw a few idiots honk horns or roll through despite traffic attempting to cross, but people overall got the message (Even on Rte. 7, where there's usually a ton of traffic).

The one thing I didn't like were the lazy folks who didn't help contribute to cleaning anything up. A friend from South Riding came over, despite having to work at finding a clear route here, and we both hacked away at and sawed a huge fallen tree blocking my neighborhood intersection. Then about 2.5 hours later, and after we took a break, two neighbors showed up with a chainsaw and we all got to work. A fifth neighbor (Retired Marine) showed up to lend his tools, since he couldn't physically do much as he recently had heart surgery. The four of us cleared the whole thing out after 5-6 hours. Despite this, the homeowner didn't do jack, dozens of neighbors driving by didn't offer assistance nor even offer a simple "Thanks", and tons of people, including perfectly able young adult/teen males, just gawked and took photos.

On the plus side, some other neighbors drove around Sunday offering help, and another neighbor went out in the middle of the storm Friday night to clear one of our trees out of the roadway. So for all of the jackasses out there, there were still some great folks helping out (The crew who cleared our debris away was awesome too).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 06, 2012 07:46PM

@ThePackLeader-

Anyone who lost property or loved ones of course can bitch. My power was out until Tuesday morning, I wasn't happy, but I understand that shit happens and Mother Nature is a Mother Fucker sometimes.

I treated all of the blacked out intersections as all way stops, gave the Cali Roll to many, but I think for the most part that people behaved, helped each other and got along just fine without power or police. More good folks than dickheads by very far. No looting or crime wave reported to my knowledge.

The complainers I was "complaining" about are the grown-ass men who were indignant as to why there couldn't be cops directing traffic at every intersection or the selfish twerps who couldn't understand the extraordinary workload that Dominion was under.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 06, 2012 09:14PM

did anybody actually see a serious accident happen at an unlit intersection

cause I didnt see any problem whatsoever...

Posted by: scoobydoo ()
Date: July 06, 2012 09:51PM

The only time I almost got hit at a dead stoplight was in DC.

Posted by: Five 0 ()
Date: July 06, 2012 10:06PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> did anybody actually see a serious accident happen
> at an unlit intersection
>
> cause I didnt see any problem whatsoever...

No wrecks but saw a few near misses. Lots of people with no clue who has the right of way. And a few fly through completely oblivious which could have been a problem had somebody pulled out. And a couple screech to a halt when they realized that they shouldn't be flying through and somebody was pulling out. lol

Ironically, the worst one that I saw was some idiot who just blew right through a LIGHTED red light and just about T-boned another car hard. 1/10 of a second later and somebody likely would have been having a funeral this weekend. Guess they got too used to not having to wait at lights. ;)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.