HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I LOVE DOMINION POWER!!!
Posted by: boomer ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:32AM

DOMINION POWER RULES! YOU GO GUYS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I LOVE DOMINION POWER!!!
Posted by: pay forward ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:06AM

If you see a crew try thanking them for doing what they do. Same goes for cops. They are all working in this heat to help resolve the situation so we get AC while they work outside in the smoldering temps.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:12AM

I'm very thankful to Dominion power for keeping my power on and for restoring many others so quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 11:12AM by Kardinal.

Posted by: HaHa! ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:24AM

My power never went out. Now if only I can get my CABLE to work. COMCAST SUCKS!

Posted by: OhLordy ()
Date: July 01, 2012 12:43PM

Just saw Thomas Graham, President of PEPCO, on the tube (channel 9)
and some of the questions folks were asking him were downright stupid.
Best comeback he made was when a woman asked if the power was on in
in his house. He replied, "I don't know because I haven't been there
since the storm hit but I'll probably find out when I return home but
it might be a while". Some people actually seemed to think PEPCO caused
the storm.

Posted by: JohnGalt338 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 02:37PM

There has been a fair amount of sniveling - "how dare they allow the power to go out in my house" type complaints.

Power did go out in my subdivision. Dusted off the generator in my garage and got the freezer and fridge back in operation along with a fan to move the sweltering air around.

Thankfully I was not one of the Dominion guys out clearing trees and working with live power in this most oppressive heat wave. Thanks to the men and women who did go out and are probably still out restoring power.

Lots of people bitch and moan about power companies clearing trees near their lines and they are probably the first to bitch and moan that their power goes out due to falling trees. I don't think anyone could have predicted the ferocity of the storm but you can always predict that whether its a storm or a blizzard the Dominion guys will be out there fixing what needs to be fixed.

DOMINION EMPLOYEES -- THANKS FOR YOUR TIRELESS EFFORTS TO RESTORE POWER!!!!

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:27PM

I had failed to pay attention to the weather predictions and was driving on 66 when the storm hit. It was like an obstacle course - branches all over the road. I ventured out to the farmers market yesterday morning only to see three more fallen trees and lights out everywhere.

This storm did a ridiculous amount of damage. I expected to be out of power for days, yet it was restored yesterday. Most of my friends had power restored yesterday or today. And all of the traffic lights I saw today were working.

I know that there are still a lot of people out of power, but I think Dominion has been doing a great job under stressful conditions. Thank you.

Posted by: Archie Bunker ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:35PM

I gotta give it to the boys at Dominion Power. They did a GREAT job in restoring the power in my McLean neighborhood. Upon surveying the damage @ 0600 yesterday, I figured we would be out for a week. Pleasantly surprised when power was restored at 1200 today. My only worry now is that massive cluster of storms headed our way from central Ohio.

Posted by: big shareholders ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:45PM

Of course McLean was restored. They go where the money is.

Posted by: I tried ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:47PM

If you were out driving you were screwed. I was in Alexandria. The WTOP people said you have about an hour to get out of the way as it was just hitting Winchester. Within five minutes the storm hit Alexandria. Nothing I could do but pull over and sit it out.

Date: July 01, 2012 08:20PM

I tried Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you were out driving you were screwed. I was in
> Alexandria. The WTOP people said you have about an
> hour to get out of the way as it was just hitting
> Winchester. Within five minutes the storm hit
> Alexandria. Nothing I could do but pull over and
> sit it out.

I probably should have. I was surprised the car I was driving (an Elise) didn't get blown away. It was nerve wracking.

Posted by: I'm not in Love ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:02PM

It took two days to get my power restored. I think that is a little long ,but I do agree there was a lot of damage in the area.

The goal should be restore power to all customers with in 24hrs.

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:13PM

Our power came on about 4AM this morning. Dominion Power is really necking it down, unlike our poor PEPCO neighbors.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:25PM

JohnGalt338 Wrote:
> Lots of people bitch and moan about power
> companies clearing trees near their lines and they
> are probably the first to bitch and moan that
> their power goes out due to falling trees. I
> don't think anyone could have predicted the
> ferocity of the storm but you can always predict
> that whether its a storm or a blizzard the
> Dominion guys will be out there fixing what needs
> to be fixed.
>

You won't hear me bitching about the trees. I say clear cut all trees within 50 feet of powerlines. Just like around the high voltage powerlines. Then power will never go out except when somebody crashes their car into a pole.

PEPCO power seems to go out whenever there is a light breeze or some rain. And then it always takes 2 weeks to restore it! No idea what goes on overthere in Maryland. All I know is I would never buy a house in an area served by PEPCO.

Dominion Power is Sorry!
Posted by: janice ()
Date: July 02, 2012 09:34AM

My electricty has been off since 1000pm Friday night. Dominion Power has done a TERRIBLE job in restoring power and they still a lot of customer witnout power. Dominipn will not get any kudos from me sorry azz electric company. If they were doing their jobs in making sure trees were cut awzy from the power line when the storm hit perhaps this castrophe would not of been so bad! I am truly disappointed with Diminion reponse to this hurricane. Sorry azz electric company!

Re: Dominion Power is Sorry!
Posted by: Haha! ()
Date: July 02, 2012 11:39AM

janice Wrote:
> My electricty has been off since 1000pm Friday
> night. Dominion Power has done a TERRIBLE job in
> restoring power and they still a lot of customer
> witnout power. Dominipn will not get any kudos
> from me sorry azz electric company. If they were
> doing their jobs in making sure trees were cut
> awzy from the power line when the storm hit
> perhaps this castrophe would not of been so bad! I
> am truly disappointed with Diminion reponse to
> this hurricane. Sorry azz electric company!

what a whiteboy troll.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 02, 2012 12:04PM

janice Wrote:
> My electricty has been off since 1000pm Friday
> night. Dominion Power has done a TERRIBLE job in
> restoring power and they still a lot of customer
> witnout power.

I was about ready to lose my mind this weekend (48 hours w/o) electric, but honestly cant fault Dominion. We basically had a hurricane force storm, without any of the advanced warnings of a hurricane. Even when tropical storms come, people have a few days notice. This derecho thing, it was a few hours warning at most. I think I saw more damage this weekend then I did back when TS Isabel hit in 2003- and that was a giant storm. I was surprised it took so long for electric to turn back on, but seriously, we took a huge punch with almost no time to prepare for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 12:06PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 02, 2012 12:12PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Even when tropical storms come, people
> have a few days notice. This derecho thing, it
> was a few hours warning at most.

Plus crews couldn't get out there immediately after the storm because lightning hung around for so long. I'm not surprised power isn't back yet for a bunch of people, but I am quite surprised that much of the area has landline telephone service that is still out. wtf. That isn't supposed to go down AT ALL and here we are three days later and it is still out for many.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: July 02, 2012 12:16PM

big shareholders Wrote:
> Of course McLean was restored. They go where the
> money is.

People who live in McLean pay the same utility rates as everyone else. What "money" are you referring to? They don't pay extra for their own private crew with equipment.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 02, 2012 12:35PM

justsayin Wrote:
>
> Plus crews couldn't get out there immediately after the storm because lightning hung around for so long.

I stood outside for the whole storm (under cover), it was honestly the most lightning I've ever seen, it was like the entire horizon was exploding. Dont ever remember seeing a storm like this one.

Posted by: Saved by trees ()
Date: July 02, 2012 12:44PM

I am very grateful for dominion crews working in the heat or rain or snow every year when something happens. Though to the like 1-2 people I saw that said cut down more tress the fact is the trees act as wind breaks. If you look at areas like Alexandria that were hit worse than areas like Fairfax city and you look at google sat images and see how few trees Alexandria has in comparison you can understand the trees that were there had to take such a load cause there were so few other trees around to help slow down the wind.

Look at the dominion outage map the closer you get to more urban areas the more outages and the more damage.

Posted by: WGG ()
Date: July 02, 2012 01:42PM

Saved by trees Wrote:
> I am very grateful for dominion crews working in
> the heat or rain or snow every year when something
> happens. Though to the like 1-2 people I saw that
> said cut down more tress the fact is the trees act
> as wind breaks. If you look at areas like
> Alexandria that were hit worse than areas like
> Fairfax city and you look at google sat images and
> see how few trees Alexandria has in comparison you
> can understand the trees that were there had to
> take such a load cause there were so few other
> trees around to help slow down the wind.
>
> Look at the dominion outage map the closer you get
> to more urban areas the more outages and the more
> damage.

Thanks. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Date: July 03, 2012 05:12PM

I'm not in Love Wrote:
>
> The goal should be restore power to all customers
> with in 24hrs.

Because communicating unrealistic goals would have been useful? Or are you offering to pay more for your power so that Dominion can buy more trucks/equipment, hire more employees, provide better training...?

Posted by: GerryConMan ()
Date: July 03, 2012 05:23PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> I'm not in Love Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > The goal should be restore power to all
> customers
> > with in 24hrs.
>
>
> Because communicating unrealistic goals would have
> been useful? Or are you offering to pay more for
> your power so that Dominion can buy more
> trucks/equipment, hire more employees, provide
> better training...?

We should impose a tax on those homes that are restored first.

Posted by: Weyhoun ()
Date: July 03, 2012 05:33PM

Yes...And we love you too Earthers...!
Attachments:
51294.jpg

Posted by: Maclay ()
Date: July 03, 2012 05:58PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> I'm not in Love Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > The goal should be restore power to all
> customers
> > with in 24hrs.
>
>
> Because communicating unrealistic goals would have
> been useful? Or are you offering to pay more for
> your power so that Dominion can buy more
> trucks/equipment, hire more employees, provide
> better training...?

Saturday morning according to Dominion over 480K in NoVa had outages. There is no way, no how any company can restore all customers power in 24 hrs. That is not only unrealistic but impossible. Especially considering that the outages were all over the place. Clearing downed trees and restringing the lines takes times. There are priority areas that come first like hospitals, nursing homes, police & fire department, emergency call centers... the list goes on. Even though my power was out for until this time yesterday and I lost some food I don't begrudge Dom they are doing the best they can and have always gotten power restored as quickly as possible. I live in an older part of the county with everything above ground, it is known that there will be periodic events such as this so be prepared. Me, well after suffering through almost annual outages for a few days time to consider investing in a generator. Just need to decide between a portable or whole house one.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: July 03, 2012 07:58PM

I want to thank the linemen out there busting their balls 16 hours a day. Great folks, just got power back now, and am profoundly thankful. The guy laughed when I offered him a "warm beer," as well, didn't have any cold ones left. Virginia Power isn't perfect, and while I generally disdain monopolies, they deserve credit during this event. Infastructure damage not only to their facilities but to the entire region. They deserve kudos for bringing up life safety systems/traffic lights for the most part, up quickly.

Cheers to the folks that work the lines!

Posted by: I_AM_THE_CLAW ()
Date: July 03, 2012 08:03PM

OhLordy Wrote:
> Just saw Thomas Graham, President of PEPCO, on the
> tube (channel 9)
> and some of the questions folks were asking him
> were downright stupid.
> Best comeback he made was when a woman asked if
> the power was on in
> in his house. He replied, "I don't know because I
> haven't been there
> since the storm hit but I'll probably find out
> when I return home but
> it might be a while". Some people actually seemed
> to think PEPCO caused
> the storm.

Heh. I heard the PEPCO spokesman on WNEW this morning and he sounded like an unfiltered asshole.

He was saying something and happened to mention that he lived in a PEPCO service area. Reporter asks "is your power on?" Guy says "it came back on in the last 24 hours. LET ME REPEAT THAT SLOWLY: IT CAME BACK ON IN THE LAST 24 HOURS. My food is spoiled too, my family is hot and sweaty too..."

Later on the reporter asked how come PEPCO spent all that money trimming trees and why it didn't help & dude goes "PEPCO isn't a tree company! We don't grow trees, we don't plant trees! These trees are on customer property and we couldn't do anything about them." Way to put the blame squarely on your customers, dick!

Date: July 03, 2012 08:39PM

Thomas Graham must be tired. I forgot what radio station he was on this morning, but he said "I can't get it up." With the people of MD and DC with the pitchforks at the ready, I guess one could understand his ED issues.

Date: July 03, 2012 08:50PM

Just had a caravan of trucks from Hydro Electric out of New Brunswick, Canada work on the lines in my neighborhood. Went to the store and bought them several cases of bottled water and 2 cases of Molson. They took the water, but reluctantly refused the Molson. Great guys. If you don't think Dominion has done enough to resolve this problem, you are wrong! When international resources are brought in, somebody is doing something right.

Date: July 03, 2012 08:56PM

Archie Bunker Wrote:
> Just had a caravan of trucks from Hydro Electric
> out of New Brunswick, Canada work on the lines in
> my neighborhood. Went to the store and bought
> them several cases of bottled water and 2 cases of
> Molson. They took the water, but reluctantly
> refused the Molson. Great guys. If you don't
> think Dominion has done enough to resolve this
> problem, you are wrong! When international
> resources are brought in, somebody is doing
> something right.

Eh? :). Loved your post, and yes, this is an example of Virginia Power's finest moment. There haven't been many, but they deserve kudos, especially their line folks. Kind of you to have hooked those guys up, they are busting their asses around the clock.

Posted by: virginia is better ()
Date: July 03, 2012 09:49PM

Yet another reason I live in Virginia. Lower taxes, better schools, certainly better universities, less of a welfare state, and none of the incompetence of Pepco.

Posted by: VA4Me ()
Date: July 03, 2012 09:55PM

virginia is better Wrote:
> Yet another reason I live in Virginia. Lower
> taxes, better schools, certainly better
> universities, less of a welfare state, and none of
> the incompetence of Pepco.

Pepco does suck but it's not all their fault. They've got a ton of old above ground lines and old trees and every time there's a problem like this people whine like crazy. But then when they want to cut trees people whine like crazy. And when they talk about how much it would cost to bury lines and the rate increases people whine like crazy.

Moral of the story - Pepco sucks and people are friggin' whiners.

Posted by: fdp ()
Date: July 03, 2012 10:27PM

Dominion Power is like every other fucking corporation. The focus is on executive bonuses and shareholder dividends. They put as little money in maintenance and staff as possible.

My juice just came back on after four days. I wish I had put the $300 worth of groceries I bought Friday afternoon straight in trash instead of lugging them into the house and then out to the trash can. I can't even replace them for a while because I don't trust grocery corporations to not try to sell thawed and refrozen food or meat beginning to rot.

Can't do anything about the whole mess, I guess. One thing I will do is discontinue automatic payments to Dominion Power. Now that I know I'm on the bottom of their "priority" list, they are going to the bottom of my bill-paying priority list. I'm going to pay them when I feel like it, by the most costly method possible---a personal check via the US Postal Service.

FUCK DOMINION POWER

Date: July 04, 2012 12:21AM

Dear, fdp

Sorry about your loss.

Catastropic events happen in this area about once a year. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you lose. The power companies have to work safely and systematically to restore power in events like this. We all hate to lose access to our power, TV, internet, porn and cold beer. MAN UP!

Dominion Power Sucks
Posted by: Ppouu ()
Date: July 04, 2012 08:17AM

You are all fucking retarded. No power since ftiday. Day 5....

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: July 04, 2012 04:38PM

Archie Bunker Wrote:
> Just had a caravan of trucks from Hydro Electric
> out of New Brunswick, Canada work on the lines in
> my neighborhood. Went to the store and bought
> them several cases of bottled water and 2 cases of
> Molson. They took the water, but reluctantly
> refused the Molson. Great guys. If you don't
> think Dominion has done enough to resolve this
> problem, you are wrong! When international
> resources are brought in, somebody is doing
> something right.

Yes the line workers are good BUT Dominion is a sack of shit. I loged onto my account last night which said my house had power. My kid was there at the same time in the dark getting clothes. Dominion said it would say that if a trunk line was repaied. That doesn't mean I have power. Cut the fing trees.. I don't care if they slice everything to no taller than 20 feet.

Posted by: john curtis ()
Date: July 04, 2012 05:09PM

wednesday and still haven't seen anyone to even see what the problem is,love dominion power ha!

Posted by: duh! ()
Date: July 05, 2012 12:31PM

john curtis Wrote:
> wednesday and still haven't seen anyone to even
> see what the problem is,love dominion power ha!

have you contacted them? I heard in WTOP this morning that the last time there was an outage the last 10 customers that were still without power hadn't report the outage.

Posted by: concerned citizen ()
Date: July 13, 2012 01:14PM

Dear people who love Dominion Power:

You might love Dominion Power, but just ask them to remove the smart meter they have probably slapped onto your home, and they will treat you like a dog. The smart meter pulses radiofrequency microwave radiation 27/7 through your house, and that means you, too. People are reporting headaches, ringing in the ears, deafness, heart palpitations. In addition, rf radiation can cause breaks in double strand DNA, and a breach of the blood-brain barrier.

I have noticed that smart meters have not been put on houses in the west end of Richmond, which is probably where most of Dominion's top management lives.

Just think, if a little girl gets her ovaries bombarded by rf radiation all her life, I wonder what kind of child she will have? Rf radiation has been linked to both autism and alzheimers.

Posted by: Dominion Power ()
Date: July 13, 2012 01:19PM

To Whom It May Concern,

If you are still experiencing power issues, please contact someone that cares.

Regards,

Dominion Power Customer Support

Posted by: meh ()
Date: July 13, 2012 01:21PM

These devices produce less radiation than you receive from the sun on a cloudy day.

Also radiofrequency microwave, isn't a thing, they are two things. Radio frequency is the frequency radios operate at. (if you have radios in your house then you shouldn't be worried about this)

Microwaves produce microwave radiation. Do you have one? Yeah sure, the microwaves are well shielded but seriously. They are 1100-1300 watts. You think this device produces more radiation than your microwave (despite the shielding)?

Jesus fucking nigger christ. Get some fresh air, take off the tin foil hat.

Posted by: bomble ()
Date: July 13, 2012 04:47PM

It's amazing that our power supplier is so superior than PEPCO -- then again, Maryland's full of tree huggers who don't want their damn trees trimmed.

Posted by: bomble ()
Date: July 13, 2012 04:48PM

In your world, the days have 27 hours? Makes sense.

concerned citizen Wrote:
> Dear people who love Dominion Power:
>
> You might love Dominion Power, but just ask them
> to remove the smart meter they have probably
> slapped onto your home, and they will treat you
> like a dog. The smart meter pulses radiofrequency
> microwave radiation 27/7 through your house,

Date: July 13, 2012 05:17PM

To Whom It May Concern,

If you are still experiencing power issues, please contact Pepco, because all of our customers have been restored. Ha Ha.

Regards,

Posted by: l. flynt ()
Date: July 13, 2012 06:06PM

PLease let me know when the power will be back on at 8346 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, VA.

Date: July 13, 2012 08:26PM

l. flynt Wrote:
> PLease let me know when the power will be back on
> at 8346 Leesburg Pike
> Vienna, VA.

To Whom It May Concern,

Never.

Regards,

Posted by: Gerry C ()
Date: July 13, 2012 08:33PM

I propose a tax increase, what was the question again?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.