HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Verizon phone outage (landline and cell)
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 30, 2012 05:33PM

Anyone else not have landline phone service? I didnt have a dial tone until 5 pm, and still none of my calls will connect. I know 911 service is down, but i cant call any of the other utilities because my phone doesnt work.
Also same thing on Verizon cell phone, none of my calls will connect. I have been texting everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Verizon phone outage (landline and cell)
Posted by: veggie ()
Date: June 30, 2012 05:38PM

Mine has been out too - it's such a pain in the arse. I have a dial tone, but the calls don't connect either. Cell phone only connects with other Verizon phones, Thanks Verizon!

Posted by: Verizon stockholder ()
Date: June 30, 2012 05:41PM

The Verizon team has done very well despite some of the worst obstacles that mother nature can throw at them. I think Verizon should get some type of award for doing as well as they have under these extreme conditions.
I am packing a cooler full of iced water and power aid and am going in search of the hardworking Verizon, Dominion and VDOT crews to try and keep them hydrated.

Date: June 30, 2012 05:59PM

Im sure they are working hard but since we can all connect to the network and or have a dial tone, that tells me this is a central office issue. This type of issue should be easier to prevent (its not an issue of trees taking down wires) and easier to recover from. Not having landline service is a huge issue, how are we supposed to call for help in an emergency? Also the fact that 911 centers do not have service is a big problem.

Posted by: VerizonHater ()
Date: June 30, 2012 06:14PM

Have no landline service as of this writing (6/30/2012 @ 6:05 PM). Am resident of Arlington; much of Rosslyn/Clarendon/Ballston corridor has no landline service. Not the first time service was interrupted over the years (fifth time for me). Have relatives up north who lose service regularly. Seems as if Verizon does not want to maintain copper cables-- they are trying to force the FiOS issue. Many people cannot afford FiOS service. I know a former Verizon employee who agrees with this, and claims that the current crews lack the education and expertise to fix many problems, esp. with the copper lines. Verizon response time is not like the former C&P Telephone. Have elderly relative up north who recently lost phone service for EIGHT days, despite false promises by Verizon that the service would be restored long before the eight day timeframe. Verizon is not doing the job they should be doing. Get your act together, Verizon!!! PERSONALLY, I HATE VERIZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sprint Network ()
Date: June 30, 2012 06:18PM

I'm having no issues...

Posted by: Paul B ()
Date: June 30, 2012 06:30PM

Fios phone is down, too. How can I have TV and internet and not "Digital Voice"? Is the central office on Braddock down?

I give Verizon a big F for not communicating anything. They know my email address. Heck, they OWN my email address!

AT&T cell service doing fine.

I'm in Burke.

Posted by: status ()
Date: June 30, 2012 06:58PM

still no verizon landline service, but att cell reception and verizon dsl are back up for me in arlington.

Posted by: Al ()
Date: June 30, 2012 07:02PM

I am in Fairfax Station - no land line service either. After 1/2h on cell w/ Verizon I was informed that video service was out (umm, no it isn't, and that was not why I was calling). After another 15 min, was told there are outages in NoVa, service should be restored in 24 hrs....

Posted by: flight risk ()
Date: June 30, 2012 07:06PM

My $10 tracfone worked well all along last night and today without a hitch while the home FIOS and my work verizon cell phone are both not working. I have power and am the FIOS internet works now but the cable and phone are still out, which is why I can post. Even if my power did go out I got a lil Honda generator to keep at least the fridge, one window ac and we all pile in the living room to stay cool, and a few lights and one flat screen TV and a DVD player or the wii going- we already tested it. Also got a hot plate, toaster oven, and george foreman grill to cook with LOL. Xbox takes up too much power but the wii did stay on a good while! Oh and of course the aircard on the fully charged netbook and/or ipad works too as backup. :)

Me, I say this is practice for when SHTF.

Get a generator, spare gasoline if you have a safe way to store it, propane for your grill, flashlights (guess what happens tonight with no power...), canned food, water for a few days, first aid supplies, etc.- and stay armed if you can. The stores and gas stations wont always be open...and neighbors may get desperate if they see your lights on and everyone else's is off....

Keep Calm and Carry ON!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 07:09PM by flight risk.

Posted by: brownds ()
Date: June 30, 2012 08:42PM

Have TV and 'net, but still no landline phone in SW Vienna. Why haven't we learned anything from Verizon via email or something? I thought "communications" was their business.

Posted by: brownds ()
Date: June 30, 2012 09:06PM

Also, Verizon web site is useless - "no network problems identified." Wish they'd try to call me to see how well their network is working.

Posted by: StoneRoader ()
Date: June 30, 2012 09:27PM

Fios phone service is out in Sully 2 and after talking with them about it - they seem completely clueless. I'd say we'll be out for a while...

Posted by: Eastcounty ()
Date: June 30, 2012 09:32PM

We've had landline and Fios service all day, but have not been able to reach anyone in NoVa. Plenty of calls to and from the rest of the country though. Gasoline is a problem though as most of the nearby service stations lost power.

Posted by: MontebelloCondo ()
Date: June 30, 2012 10:10PM

2200 hrs on Saturday (30th) and still NO DSL connectivity from Verizon in Alexandria. I tried twice to reach their call center and had to listen to the pointless 'tip' to go on-line for "24 hour chat"...nice but I can NOT get on line via DSL. Finally was able to use a dial up line on an old PC to check eMails and leave this note. ATTN VERIZON: COX has been pestering me to switch my phone (land and cell) and Internet to a COX bundle (I have COX cable TV)...after a DAY of no access and no communication from you (VERIZON)...I think I WILL switch to COX as my neighbor across the hall has FULL access with COX...ALL DAY today!

Thanks for NOTHING Verizon.

Posted by: SouthRiding ()
Date: June 30, 2012 10:49PM

Had issues with cell service on verizon until 1 PM, fios internet and tv are fine. Landline is still down; it's odd considering I had service on the landline until at least midnight. Didn't lose power at all

Posted by: Meh ()
Date: June 30, 2012 11:19PM

Landline is down but at least the internet service still works. Honestly as long as I have internet I don't care too much about the rest.

Posted by: Skyper ()
Date: June 30, 2012 11:21PM

Skype works just fine, who needs phones?

Posted by: Dukedog ()
Date: June 30, 2012 11:28PM

It is 23:30 on 06-30-12 and I have not been able to make telephone calls or get one today.The land line to 11538 Links Drive Reston VA will not work. It is the 21st Century, the 3rd Millennium. Inexcusible !!
Come on Verizon get off you duffs and restore phone service. I 've 3 VERY important phone calls to make on Monday AM re:new jobs. If the phone service is still out on Monday AM I'll go to the Verizon Office in Arlington and talk the staff into letting me make the calls from their office on Court House Rd near Arlington Court House.

Posted by: mike728 ()
Date: June 30, 2012 11:41PM

FIOS internet not working in Fairfax station as of about 1030pm.

Posted by: I've got no power (it's gettin', it's gettin', it's getting kind of hectic, ) ()
Date: July 01, 2012 12:56AM

I have had no power since 1030 last night. I am running a generator and am watching tv right now. I can verify I have FIOS internet, cable and phone. I am in falls church near tysons. I can view interents and fios tv, where's the power?
This feels like baghdad.

I don't got the power.

I wannt to be singing this

Posted by: Don ()
Date: July 01, 2012 02:10AM

Im in Arlington in pentagon city and I have fios tv and internet but no dial tone and my sprint cell phone has one bar and is not working. So I am guessing the lightening stuck a few cell towers and no idea why I have Internet but the VoIP fios phone isn't working. No communication from anyone which sucks. I drove about a mile south to alexandria and got 199999 texts messages and voicemail.. Using Skype and google voice to make calls.

Posted by: Raptor ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:03AM

No dial tone since the storm Friday night. Internet ok. Have AT&T cell; some connection issues Saturday morning; ok by afternoon. Verizon website is silent on any issues related to this outage. I finally found info here at FFX Underground. Thank you!

Posted by: Fred ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:05AM

I'm in Manassas and as of 7/1 (7:00am), I still have no dial tone on my Verizion home phone. TV came back yesterday around noon.

Posted by: Fred ()
Date: July 01, 2012 07:24AM

Why is there absolutly no mention about NO Verizon telephone service, both landline and cell, region wide (Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Woodbridge and who knows where else)? This is not just 911 problem. There is nothing in the papers, nothing on the news - only power outage is being covered. It would be nice to know what caused it and what we can expect.

Posted by: Eric H ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:20AM

Landline phone in Reston (North) still down. Fios TV was never down. Internet was restored Saturday p.m. Vz cell was spotty Saturday, with no 3G, but all good by Saturday late a.m. Am thinking it may be time to cancel the landline (family of 4 tho, with younger kids).

Posted by: Eric H ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:25AM

You must not read or have seen the Washington Post headline on front page today: "Outages could last for days."

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 08:36AM

Tethered through my Virgin Mobile (Sprint) phone for Internet. Got generator and satellite. Cox cable (and Cox Internet) down. As long as I can get gas for my 6 gallon cans, I'm set.

To the rest of my street (and you know who you are), I am still at only 67% capacity of my genset with the A/C on. Without it, 33%. If you have a long enough cord and your stuff can handle the voltage drop, you can have some power.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: July 01, 2012 09:58AM

Eric H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You must not read or have seen the Washington Post
> headline on front page today: "Outages could last
> for days."

I read the headline, but I still do not understand how the storm caused so much damage as to make landline service unavailable for 36+ hours. I know that FiOS internet and TV are different than phone from a transmission standpoint, but was there a single failure point that somehow cannot be temporarily routed around?

I believe that there is a central office on Braddock and was wondering how a power interruption there would impact service. The fact that 911 service is/was down is a really scary thought and there seems to be no contingency plan. Yes, the storm was rather sudden and people were not able to prepare in advance when there is a hurricane or major snow event, but I could use some help in understanding what the problem is with phone service.

Date: July 01, 2012 10:33AM

It's all oshammys fault. Stupid Neegro wants nothing stopping his health care reform

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:40AM

For fios, try resetting your transformer box. If there is no green light on the box, reset the circuit breaker on the outlet.

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:53AM

"but I still do not understand how the storm caused so much damage as to make landline service unavailable for 36+ hours"

YGTBFKM. Seriously. 90+ MPH wind shears in the DC area, some spots had 3+" of rain in under 1 hour, and within a day you're back on the internet but your home phone might take another few hours and you're PO'd? Seriously? Anyone remember Isabel? Parts of FFX county were w/o power or phone for a week or more, and cell/HSP internet wasn't as robust...

1stWPs...

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:04AM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
> Eric H Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You must not read or have seen the Washington
> Post
> > headline on front page today: "Outages could
> last
> > for days."
>
>
> I read the headline, but I still do not understand
> how the storm caused so much damage as to make
> landline service unavailable for 36+ hours. I
> know that FiOS internet and TV are different than
> phone from a transmission standpoint, but was
> there a single failure point that somehow cannot
> be temporarily routed around?
>
> I believe that there is a central office on
> Braddock and was wondering how a power
> interruption there would impact service. The fact
> that 911 service is/was down is a really scary
> thought and there seems to be no contingency plan.
> Yes, the storm was rather sudden and people were
> not able to prepare in advance when there is a
> hurricane or major snow event, but I could use
> some help in understanding what the problem is
> with phone service.

Here is why your phone service and power is out:

And that's why it takes a while to fix it. You can only do so much preparation.

Posted by: WDWLover ()
Date: July 01, 2012 11:06AM

I am in Reston. Have FIOS internet and cable. Both of those have been working fine. My FIOS home phone is not working and my VZ cell phone is getting a "circuit busy" message, so cannot communicate with anyone. Verizon - how about some updates?

Date: July 01, 2012 11:10AM

"so cannot communicate with anyone."

Really? You can't communicate w/anyone, as in you're completely cut off from the outside world w/no method of messaging outside of say, smoke signals?

CSB...

Date: July 01, 2012 11:18AM

Jess1 Wrote:
> YGTBFKM. Seriously. 90+ MPH wind shears in the DC
> area, some spots had 3+" of rain in under 1 hour,
> and within a day you're back on the internet but
> your home phone might take another few hours and
> you're PO'd? Seriously? Anyone remember Isabel?
> Parts of FFX county were w/o power or phone for a
> week or more, and cell/HSP internet wasn't as
> robust...
>
> 1stWPs...

I never said that I was "pissed"...just wondering about the root cause for the landline issues. Also, I don't remember my landline being down during Isabel, but that was also before FiOS. Frankly, I was surprised that there are not more problems with internet and TV (although I noticed last night that there was a lot of pixelation across multiple channels).

Date: July 01, 2012 12:09PM

Landlines generally run both above & below ground. We saw the impact of a Cat 1+ hurricane w/less than 3 hours notice on a Friday night, and most people didn't lose anything. I'd call that "amazing good fortune", and am not surprised that a number of telephone services were out for a number of hours. To expect otherwise is a bit, well, silly. Seriously.

Date: July 01, 2012 01:10PM

Yes, Jess1 !! I'm a retired person that doesn't tweet, text or all that other stuff. I cannot call 911 and my family are all in areas that lost power so what good is email? After reading your posts, I would like to know what level of management you are in Verizon.

Posted by: cyclek ()
Date: July 01, 2012 01:16PM

Our power has been out since Friday night (live in Reston on south side) and while it's uncomfortable, and annoying, this is truly a First world problem that we can't use our electronics. We can still drive to places to get food and showers (gym, anyone?)

In church this morning (where we had no power, couldn't use the bathrooms, sang with acoustic instruments only) our pastor reminded us that that are many places in the world where not only was the situation normal but that they stay and worship for HOURS...

It also reminded me that in June and July of 1776 some courageous men stayed in Philadelphia through a heat wave, without A/C and wearing heavy 18th century clothing in order to forge a whole new idea for a nation. If they hadn't been willing to sit through it and get to the heart of the matter, we would all have to go to work on Wednesday.

Date: July 01, 2012 01:43PM

Please, understand that my complaint is not so much that things don't work but that Verizon has not COMMUNICATED with its' customers. Since most of us still have cable and Internet, an announcement under the message screen would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Meowch ()
Date: July 01, 2012 01:44PM

WDWLover-Fios phone not working-as in, this call cannot be completed etc. announcement. That's what I get when trying to call Lorton, Springfield, Fairfax from my Fairfax Station FIOS Phone. However, was able to call New York today and yesterday, no problem...

Posted by: Danny Saget ()
Date: July 01, 2012 01:48PM

Paul B Wrote:
> Fios phone is down, too. How can I have TV and
> internet and not "Digital Voice"? Is the central
> office on Braddock down?
>
> I give Verizon a big F for not communicating
> anything. They know my email address. Heck, they
> OWN my email address!
>
> AT&T cell service doing fine.
>
> I'm in Burke.

I think I know who you are, Paul B....

Date: July 01, 2012 02:07PM

"I'm a retired person that doesn't tweet, text or all that other stuff"

Yet amazingly you have power & internet access. Go figure.

PS - what sort of announcement should they be making? "Hey, we know there's been this really huge storm w/lots of trees and telephone poles down, so we're going to tell you that there's lots of trees and telephone poles down" work for you?

Date: July 01, 2012 02:17PM

Jess1 Wrote:
> "I'm a retired person that doesn't tweet, text or
> all that other stuff"
>
> Yet amazingly you have power & internet access. Go
> figure.
>
> PS - what sort of announcement should they be
> making? "Hey, we know there's been this really
> huge storm w/lots of trees and telephone poles
> down, so we're going to tell you that there's lots
> of trees and telephone poles down" work for you?

They could post an announcement saying we know phone calls, texts, and data are down, we are working very hard to fix the problem, we apologize for the inconvenience and here is a 1 month credit on the bill.

Posted by: Not a lover of Cox (haha) ()
Date: July 01, 2012 02:44PM

MontebelloCondo Wrote:
> 2200 hrs on Saturday (30th) and still NO DSL
> connectivity from Verizon in Alexandria. I tried
> twice to reach their call center and had to listen
> to the pointless 'tip' to go on-line for "24 hour
> chat"...nice but I can NOT get on line via DSL.
> Finally was able to use a dial up line on an old
> PC to check eMails and leave this note. ATTN
> VERIZON: COX has been pestering me to switch my
> phone (land and cell) and Internet to a COX bundle
> (I have COX cable TV)...after a DAY of no access
> and no communication from you (VERIZON)...I think
> I WILL switch to COX as my neighbor across the
> hall has FULL access with COX...ALL DAY today!
>
> Thanks for NOTHING Verizon.

Good luck with Cox! Just because you haven't had issues with TV doesn't mean you won't have them with internet and phone.

Posted by: John Adams ()
Date: July 01, 2012 03:24PM

cyclek Wrote:
> It also reminded me that in June and July of 1776
> some courageous men stayed in Philadelphia through
> a heat wave, without A/C and wearing heavy 18th
> century clothing in order to forge a whole new
> idea for a nation. If they hadn't been willing to
> sit through it and get to the heart of the matter,
> we would all have to go to work on Wednesday.

That's an unrban legend. It's been proven that not only
was the AC working fine for them, the meeting also had
high-speed Internet available! Fruit smoothie, anyone?

Posted by: Verizon Customer ()
Date: July 01, 2012 04:10PM

I work for a business that is a fairly large Verizon account. After repeated inquiries and escalations, we were told that a backup generator failed at one of the CO's (OK, no surprise there) and is being replaced. They are supposedly bringing in additional resources to assist with getting the CO back online.

Posted by: CO? ()
Date: July 01, 2012 04:45PM

Thamks, but most of us have no clue what a "CO" is.

Date: July 01, 2012 04:53PM

A CO is a central office. The big, windowless buildings that say Verizon on the side. Houses big telephone switches.

Any idea which CO it was?

I wonder if any of the localities whose 911 service was impacted can investigate and/or fine/sue Verizon for this. It seems like a no brainer to perform periodic generator maintenance to prevent this from happening. Any commercial data center would do this. (Except Amazon, apparently)

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: July 01, 2012 05:08PM

WDWLover Wrote:
After reading your
> posts, I would like to know what level of
> management you are in Verizon.

The level of management responsible for the generator at the central office running out of fuel 15 minutes into the power outage.

Date: July 01, 2012 05:29PM

Would this be the Verizon CO on Braddock near Guinea/Twinbrook? A failed generator sounds plausible, but, as pointed out above, probably needed to be tested more frequently.

Speaking of generators, I drove by several cell towers today and it sounds like they are running generators which might be the reason why we are getting so many "circuit busy" messages when making a call.

Re: Verizon phone outage (landline
Posted by: Chew ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:16PM

Have not had land line service since 10 pm Friday Night June 29 2012.

Posted by: Rollin Coal ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:34PM

I have not had land line service since I stopped using land lines for talky talky on the telephone and cassette tapes for music.

Are you out of oats for your horsey too there Rick? You do know it's 2012?

Posted by: cygnusx1 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:57PM

no VZW cell and no landline in Alexandria. Was working yesterday (saturday), but today it's "all circuits are busy"....

Date: July 01, 2012 11:14PM

Lester Burnham Wrote:
>
> Speaking of generators, I drove by several cell
> towers today and it sounds like they are running
> generators which might be the reason why we are
> getting so many "circuit busy" messages when
> making a call.

I don't know if every cell site has generators. I'm sure some do, but do all of them? I would hope so, but many of the shelters on the ground do not look big enought to contain one. I'm sure they all have battery backups.

Normally in a situation like this when the cell service gets overloaded we can fall back on our landlines which almost never fail. I still don't have landline service and it sounds like 911 service is still down as well. That's a big issue.

Posted by: Another Verizon Customer ()
Date: July 02, 2012 12:08AM

The outage is at the Arlington CO.

I don't understand though the delay in getting a backup generator. We got a backup generator for our building in less than a day when we realized ours was failing. One of those big CAT portable power stations.

Date: July 02, 2012 12:23AM

Another Verizon Customer Wrote:
> The outage is at the Arlington CO.
>
> I don't understand though the delay in getting a
> backup generator. We got a backup generator for
> our building in less than a day when we realized
> ours was failing. One of those big CAT portable
> power stations.

I agree- even if there was no way to know the backup generator could fail, why did the boss of the CO not immediatley contact the nearest Sunbelt Rentals or even Grainger and obtain 1 to 3 trailer mounted generators as soon as the primary one did fail? What about the battery backup? CO's have huge battery rooms.

They had the same issue at the Japanese nuclear power plant meltdown (Fukashima). As soon as the primary backup generators failed, why did TEPCO not call the Japanese military and report that they needed generators, NOW! They say the roads were blocked due to the tsunami and they could not get them there. Now I know they have helicopters in Japan- maybe somebody didn't want to front the cost. Verizon could be the same way.

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: July 02, 2012 02:11AM

I'm in Old Town. On Saturday I lost power at midnight and it was back up within an hour. Then I lost DSL at approximately 4:20AM and reported it 20 mintues later. It was back up around 2PM. Always had a dial tone and realized around 7AM I could not dial long distance numbers. Any number within the metro area was fine but couldn't call family and friends outside the DC metro area so I used my AT&T cell phone. Thankfully I could RECEIVE calls on the landline from all over the country and the world. Reported the landline situation around 9AM and a Verizon customer service representative called at 4:33PM. She was very professional. She checked the line and said she was forwarding the matter to a technician who would call me later. I followed up with a call just now, 2AM Monday, and was advised that a ticket was issued and the close out date was COB Wednesday, July 4th. I wonder if they realize that's a holiday o.O Best of luck everyone. Stay cool and be safe.

Date: July 02, 2012 08:52AM

Another Verizon Customer Wrote:
> The outage is at the Arlington CO.
>
> I don't understand though the delay in getting a
> backup generator. We got a backup generator for
> our building in less than a day when we realized
> ours was failing. One of those big CAT portable
> power stations.

Passed Alban CAT on 28 yesterday afternoon and saw them advertising one of these:

http://www.albancat.com/Alban-Modular-Power-System-AMPS.htm

Posted by: Another Verizon Customer ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:15AM

The battery backups are only meant to last about 1 hour... even the huge ones. We have a large battery backup for our datacenter - the batteries almost fill a room, yet it will only power things for about an hour or so.

The real question is why their generator just "failed" on them. They are required to do weekly generator tests...

Posted by: Megan ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:22AM

I'm in Burke... TV and Internet through FIOS are working fine but landline is not. cell service is still spotty. honestly, as bad as this storm was, I am just glad myself and my family are fine. sure was scary though.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: July 02, 2012 10:28AM

Maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the people who still have landlines only because they want to have a reliable "works in emergencies" method of communication. I don't knock anyone for holding onto a landline, but if that is the only reason then I'd say that's pretty much proven wrong.

Posted by: normanjd ()
Date: July 02, 2012 01:40PM

No DSL or dial tone at my house (in Fairfax County just outside Alexandria) since 10pm Friday... As of this Monday morning (7/2), I could get my PC to resolve an address and could ping 1 out of 4 tries, but still could not use a web browser... Tried rebooting router but same results... Still just static on the phone line... Calling my number from work just gives me a bust signal...

Posted by: stuppie ()
Date: July 02, 2012 01:53PM

normanjd Wrote:
> Calling my
> number from work just gives me a bust signal...

does bust signal go like this

_._ _._

Posted by: normanjd ()
Date: July 02, 2012 01:59PM

Sorry, meant to type "busy signal"... Just the normal one, not a fast one... I assume the circuit is off-hook at one of the relays w/o power between me and the CO...

Posted by: Verizon Guy ()
Date: July 02, 2012 02:09PM

justsayin Wrote:
> Maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the people
> who still have landlines only because they want to
> have a reliable "works in emergencies" method of
> communication. I don't knock anyone for holding
> onto a landline, but if that is the only reason
> then I'd say that's pretty much proven wrong.

And here's the reason why...

1). Its not 10 to 15 years ago. Much of the territerial communication for landlines now is routed a number of different ways. In some places it goes underground, over aerial lines, over microwave, over satellite, etc. So you're right, landlines "today" are not just your simple "Copper in the ground" method of communication.

2). The existing infrastructure for landlines is outdated and suffers much in the way of maintenance. Very little money is spent on preventative maintenance on those old, old resources.

Date: July 02, 2012 02:15PM

Verizon Guy Wrote:
> justsayin Wrote:
> -----
> > Maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the
> people
> > who still have landlines only because they want
> to
> > have a reliable "works in emergencies" method
> of
> > communication. I don't knock anyone for
> holding
> > onto a landline, but if that is the only reason
> > then I'd say that's pretty much proven wrong.
>
> And here's the reason why...
>
> 1). Its not 10 to 15 years ago. Much of the
> territerial communication for landlines now is
> routed a number of different ways. In some places
> it goes underground, over aerial lines, over
> microwave, over satellite, etc. So you're right,
> landlines "today" are not just your simple "Copper
> in the ground" method of communication.
>
> 2). The existing infrastructure for landlines is
> outdated and suffers much in the way of
> maintenance. Very little money is spent on
> preventative maintenance on those old, old
> resources.

So then what is the recommended phone access technology? Cell phone towers get overloaded as we saw during the earthquake and on Saturday mid-day. Landline POTS would be the fallback, right? Or should we all get digital VoIP from Verizon/Cox/Comcast? Becuase that only has an 8 hour battery backup.

Posted by: Verizon Guy ()
Date: July 02, 2012 02:17PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Verizon Guy Wrote:
> -----
> > justsayin Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the
> > people
> > > who still have landlines only because they
> want
> > to
> > > have a reliable "works in emergencies" method
> > of
> > > communication. I don't knock anyone for
> > holding
> > > onto a landline, but if that is the only
> reason
> > > then I'd say that's pretty much proven wrong.
> >
> > And here's the reason why...
> >
> > 1). Its not 10 to 15 years ago. Much of the
> > territerial communication for landlines now is
> > routed a number of different ways. In some
> places
> > it goes underground, over aerial lines, over
> > microwave, over satellite, etc. So you're
> right,
> > landlines "today" are not just your simple
> "Copper
> > in the ground" method of communication.
> >
> > 2). The existing infrastructure for landlines
> is
> > outdated and suffers much in the way of
> > maintenance. Very little money is spent on
> > preventative maintenance on those old, old
> > resources.
>
> So then what is the recommended phone access
> technology? Cell phone towers get overloaded as we
> saw during the earthquake and on Saturday mid-day.
> Landline POTS would be the fallback, right? Or
> should we all get digital VoIP from
> Verizon/Cox/Comcast? Becuase that only has an 8
> hour battery backup.

The most reliable phone in the world is a satellite phone.

Posted by: Preemption/Priority Codes Trump Everything ()
Date: July 02, 2012 03:44PM

Verizon Guy Wrote:
>
> 1). Its not 10 to 15 years ago. Much of the
> territerial communication for landlines now is
> routed a number of different ways. In some places
> it goes underground, over aerial lines, over
> microwave, over satellite, etc. So you're right,
> landlines "today" are not just your simple "Copper
> in the ground" method of communication.
>
> 2). The existing infrastructure for landlines is
> outdated and suffers much in the way of
> maintenance. Very little money is spent on
> preventative maintenance on those old, old
> resources.

I'm not sure that I agree with you that traditional landlines are obsolete for voice, though it has been a number of years since I was in the telecom business. I suspect that all the infrastructure that AT&T and Bell Atlantic installed before fiber became available is still there, including the many redundant and alternate routing of circuits. And that early fiber was encased to be very survivable, unlike the direct-bury cable they use now.

Are you saying that POTS on copper to the last mile is not still the most reliable/available telephone service available to most users? Not counting those relatively few who have priority/preemption capabilities or multiple homed circuits. If so, what technology and system surpassed copper, and when?

Local landlines used three of the technologies you cited (buried copper, overhead copper, microwave) for decades with 99.99% reliability/availability. Not so much satellite for voice because of the narrow bandwidth and inherent time delay.

Again, I'm old and have not been involved in many years, but I am one who will still believe in plain old telephone service and twisted pair copper for voice until I stop reading about the routine outages on the newer high-bandwidth technologies.

But if you can cite a well-written article on why it's time for me to switch then I will certainly read it.

Posted by: ggs ()
Date: July 02, 2012 03:52PM

This isa fkrwhat the birdssame for those f us who are trying to conduct business today. I love having to ecplain to clients we are down due to the storm.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 02, 2012 04:08PM

Mr. Verizon Guy: I can understand how my landline service could get knocked out several different ways in a storm like this. What I do not understand is why my landline phone was capable of making and receiving long distance calls and receiving phone calls from cell phones, but I was unable to make to or receive local calls from other working landlines for much of the weekend. How is it that those long distance calls and cells from cell phones manage to get around whatever the problems were that were affecting my local landline calls.

Posted by: Fed Up in Falls Church ()
Date: July 03, 2012 10:27AM

The power has been on for over 24 hours (thank GOD) but still no verizon services...still on hold for the 5th time of trying to get through with shotty cell service and being "accidently" disconnected, anyone heard of an ETA in my area or have a number that someone will actually answer?

Posted by: Don't Call ()
Date: July 03, 2012 12:25PM

Don't waste your time calling. Even unde rnormal cicumstances calls for repair are dropped and hung up on, so you have to navigate the anwsering service tree multiple times.

They will take at least 3-5 days to fix it after you report it, even if the fix is checking and resetting a switch in the central office.

If your whole neighborhood is out, assume ( or confirm) someone else has already called and don't waste your time.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 03, 2012 01:10PM

Verizon Guy Wrote:
> KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> -----
> > Verizon Guy Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > justsayin Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Maybe this will be a wakeup call to all the
> > > people
> > > > who still have landlines only because they
> > want
> > > to
> > > > have a reliable "works in emergencies"
> method
> > > of
> > > > communication. I don't knock anyone for
> > > holding
> > > > onto a landline, but if that is the only
> > reason
> > > > then I'd say that's pretty much proven
> wrong.
> > >
> > > And here's the reason why...
> > >
> > > 1). Its not 10 to 15 years ago. Much of the
> > > territerial communication for landlines now
> is
> > > routed a number of different ways. In some
> > places
> > > it goes underground, over aerial lines, over
> > > microwave, over satellite, etc. So you're
> > right,
> > > landlines "today" are not just your simple
> > "Copper
> > > in the ground" method of communication.
> > >
> > > 2). The existing infrastructure for landlines
> > is
> > > outdated and suffers much in the way of
> > > maintenance. Very little money is spent on
> > > preventative maintenance on those old, old
> > > resources.
> >
> > So then what is the recommended phone access
> > technology? Cell phone towers get overloaded as
> we
> > saw during the earthquake and on Saturday
> mid-day.
> > Landline POTS would be the fallback, right? Or
> > should we all get digital VoIP from
> > Verizon/Cox/Comcast? Becuase that only has an 8
> > hour battery backup.
>
> The most reliable phone in the world is a
> satellite phone.

Lol, horseshit.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.