HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should I call Animal Control?
Posted by: ChuckSteake ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:22PM

So unfortunately I have some redneck-like neighbors. They acquired a dog a few months ago (some type of Hound/German Shepard mix) who they leave outside constantly. Even though they purchased a sizable home for it, I still hate to see it left out 24/7, especially late at night as it croons and cries for attention.

Anyways you all know we are in the midst of a heat-wave and as you would guess, they believe it is best to leave the dog outside. The individuals also are gone for a majority of the day, rarely coming home before 7pm or so.

Now I can't tell if it has enough water, so I just ran out back and dropped a small bowl of ice and water in hopes that it will refresh itself.

So, should I call Animal Control or just mind my own business? I've had a few interactions with the neighbors here and there, and for the most part they seem decent (it's a group of guys).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I call Animal Control?
Posted by: AnimalControl ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:26PM

I would call animal control. They won't share your information with the neighbor, so you don't need to worry about retaliation or anything. This is a clear cut case of neglect in this heat, and a dog with that kind of coat will surely overheat and die if he's not brought inside as soon as possible.

Posted by: Blurp ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:28PM

Its refreshing to hear about someone on here doing something kind.

If I were you, I would continue covertly giving the dog water, and carefully bring up the issue the next time you see your neighbor. "What kind of dog is that? AH, a winter dog. It must hate this heat wave, right? I here they get violent in 105 degree weather."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The horse jumped over the fucking fence." - Kurt Vonnegut

Posted by: Ale ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:28PM

I would call for sure! poor little thing might be dying with this heat. Thank you for even taking the time to give it water and ice. Please call ASAP!

Posted by: Blurp ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:31PM

On second thought, you could let the dog out of the yard, bring it to your house to cool it down and call the owners saying you found him and he was severely dehydrated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The horse jumped over the fucking fence." - Kurt Vonnegut

Date: June 21, 2012 12:32PM

While I'm all for anonymity I don't think it will go very far. I'm situated on a corner lot and essentially am the only neighbor they have, especially who has access to the lot where the dog resides. I also gave it a large bone earlier this morning before heading out, so I suspect they will know who called Animal Control.

Posted by: Ale ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:35PM

ChuckSteake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I'm all for anonymity I don't think it will
> go very far. I'm situated on a corner lot and
> essentially am the only neighbor they have,
> especially who has access to the lot where the dog
> resides. I also gave it a large bone earlier this
> morning before heading out, so I suspect they will
> know who called Animal Control.

Would you be able to take the dog to your house like one of the posters suggested?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:41PM

ChuckSteake Wrote:
> So, should I call Animal Control or just mind my
> own business?

Absolutely call.

Date: June 21, 2012 12:43PM

Unfortunately not, the fence is quite high that separates our properties and I believe the only way to enter their backyard is through the house or garage. Besides wouldn't that be considered trespassing?

I'm sorta tempted to go over and knock just to see if anyone is there first, but like I said, rarely do I see them come home before 7pm

Posted by: Megan ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:47PM

please call, they need to know that this is not how you take care of a pet.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:49PM

Megan Wrote:
> please call, they need to know that this is not
> how you take care of a pet.

+1

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:50PM

You could go up to the neighbors tonight and say "hey, I noticed your dog outside today. It may be none of my business, but I knew a guy who's dog died in heat like this and I'd hate for it to happend to your dog. Just thought I'd mention it.".

Of course, if you call animal control tomorrow they'll know who did it.

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: June 21, 2012 12:54PM

Heat is bad for dogs! Call for help now!

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:00PM

Call. People like this don't learn until they are forced to.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:16PM

OP: I think you're doing the right thing. Take care of the dog today and then have a conversation with the owners tonight.

If you EVER see the dog left out in the yard in heat like this after today, call animal control. If the owners have a problem with you doing so after having had a conversation with you, then fuck 'em.

I believe that we as a society should try to solve our problems without having to call the cops or other authorities to do it for us all the time. Chances are the owners don't realize the magnitude of what they are doing.

Give the owners a chance to learn to do the right thing. If they choose not to, then they should get what they deserve.

Posted by: duh! ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:23PM

Ito Wrote:
> OP: I think you're doing the right thing. Take
> care of the dog today and then have a conversation
> with the owners tonight.
>
> If you EVER see the dog left out in the yard in
> heat like this after today, call animal control.
> If the owners have a problem with you doing so
> after having had a conversation with you, then
> fuck 'em.
>
> I believe that we as a society should try to solve
> our problems without having to call the cops or
> other authorities to do it for us all the time.
> Chances are the owners don't realize the magnitude
> of what they are doing.
>
> Give the owners a chance to learn to do the right
> thing. If they choose not to, then they should get
> what they deserve.

while I somewhat agree with you, how can the owners not realize the magnitue of their actions where it has been all over the news for the last few days that we are under a heat wave? it is called common sense! I would call right away.

Posted by: Wag'n ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:25PM

Don't forget though, the animal does have shelter, so Animal Control may not be able to do much. You would be better off letting the dog loose and then reporting it wandering the neighborhood.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:27PM

Here's my reasoning:

OP seems to have situation under control for today.

OP lives next to these fucktards, but the neighborly thing to do is to try to get along if you can.

Finally, as per my last post, let's try to not get the authorities involved in every last problem of our lives. More calls to cops, animal control, etc. = more drain on public resources, higher taxes and paperwork.

The ghetto response is to dial 911, I'm sure we're all not advocating that in the case of an overheated dog are we?

Posted by: Arthur Treacher ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:44PM

Take the dog and give it to a no kill shelter, or one specializing in shepards. Problem solved for everyone.

Posted by: DogWhisperer ()
Date: June 21, 2012 04:08PM

Do not call animal control first. That would be like calling in a noise complaint to the police before giving the party host a warning that the sound is bothering you...complete overreaction and waste of time. Simply grow a backbone and knock on your neighbor's door when they are home and tell them that you don't think the dog should be left outside in the heat all day. If they don't respond to your polite, neighborly gesture - then relay your concerns to AC.

[If you are a true animal lover and not just a blogger/drama starter, then I suggest offering to your neighbor YOUR home during the day. Whether your serious or not, that will show them that you are really concerned with the welfare of the dog and not just a nagging neighbor.]

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: June 21, 2012 04:12PM

Mind your own business. I have had animal control come by dozens of times because my dog was left out side when it is too hot or too cold. How do you know they don't have a watering system or a fan for the dog? The last time I had to show animal control that it was 15 degrees cooler in the back yard.
I also showed them the baby pool, constant fresh water and ceiling fan.

If they are abusing the dog then call but get your facts straight first.

Posted by: YIKES. ()
Date: June 21, 2012 06:54PM

I think this is a terrible situation. And unfortunately, somebody who neglects and is cruel to animals (and leaving a dog outside in this heat IS cruel) is not right mentally and is possibly dangerous. So, OP, please be cautious.

Before you do anything, take video of the situation to document it. Then proceed. You can do one of the following:

You could tell the owners of the dog that their dog cried all day due to the heat and that the situation is becoming dire for the dog. Ask if you can help in any way--offer to take the dog in to your home during the day and tell them that you will not take no for an answer otherwise you will have to go to animal control.

You can call animal control and try to have the animal removed. Your evidence will help.

You can try to remove the dog even if it means destroying part of their fence. How will they know it is you and/or maybe the dog will be so desperate that it will dig its way out.

Good luck. This is a horrible situation. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Posted by: YIKES. ()
Date: June 21, 2012 06:54PM

I think this is a terrible situation. And unfortunately, somebody who neglects and is cruel to animals (and leaving a dog outside in this heat IS cruel) is not right mentally and is possibly dangerous. So, OP, please be cautious.

Before you do anything, take video of the situation to document it. Then proceed. You can do one of the following:

You could tell the owners of the dog that their dog cried all day due to the heat and that the situation is becoming dire for the dog. Ask if you can help in any way--offer to take the dog in to your home during the day and tell them that you will not take no for an answer otherwise you will have to go to animal control.

You can call animal control and try to have the animal removed. Your evidence will help.

You can try to remove the dog even if it means destroying part of their fence. How will they know it is you and/or maybe the dog will be so desperate that it will dig its way out.

Good luck. This is a horrible situation. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:05PM

Must. Have. Follow-up.

Posted by: Janie ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:25PM

How about you call the cops and tell them to say to your neighbors, if they ask, that they were driving by patrolling the neighborhood and heard the dog barking and they investigated and found it to be dying of thirsT?

Posted by: Lester ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:27PM

At the minimum, Animal Control would come over to verify whether the owner has provided for adequate shelter, water, and food. If they judge the conditions to be inadequate, they'll probably warn the owners once and give them instructions to avoid having their dog taken away.

Posted by: carmen ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:39PM

sumguy Wrote:
> Mind your own business. I have had animal control
> come by dozens of times because my dog was left
> out side when it is too hot or too cold. How do
> you know they don't have a watering system or a
> fan for the dog? The last time I had to show
> animal control that it was 15 degrees cooler in
> the back yard.
> I also showed them the baby pool, constant fresh
> water and ceiling fan.
>

You sir are trash.
> If they are abusing the dog then call but get your
> facts straight first.

Posted by: Facts ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:54PM

@ OP
For the sake of closure, is that dog OK now?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:56PM

yes, OP - Enquiring minds want to know..............

Posted by: YIKES ()
Date: June 21, 2012 09:06PM

Yes, OP, a lot of us are worried.

Posted by: Oscar Mantana ()
Date: June 22, 2012 02:53PM

FACE!!!

Posted by: Round Up 5 ()
Date: June 22, 2012 04:07PM

Check Blehs snakes too, as they deserve to receive care also.

Posted by: gg6 ()
Date: June 22, 2012 09:31PM

Absolutely. Your intuition is spot on. It will remain anonymous. Let animal.control handle it from there to ut continue to keep an eye on the situation in case tbey don't correct the situation by giving the dog some shelter, more water, attention etc. Maybe a warning from animal.control will correct the situation. Poor dog that is terrible and sad.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.