HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VDOT Construction
Posted by: Brett ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:18AM

does anyone else think VDOT is slow? I mean, sure, theres no benchmark, so theres nothing to compare to, but I still feel like its slower than it should be. On Centreville Rd near the Frying Pan intersection, construction was supposedto start in June of 2007, but never happened. On Route 28, construction on the Willard Rd overpass has not progressed at all since it "began" a month ago.

also, on separate note, i spy gravis (left, i think)!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VDOT Construction
Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: April 27, 2008 09:27AM

http://28freeway.com/project-map/5-fryingpan.html

Unless the schedule has been changed, the Frying Pan Rd. interchange is scheduled to start this spring, not last year. They are behind schedule on the Church road/Atlantic Blvd section; that was supposed to be completed last fall.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: April 27, 2008 10:52AM

They sure seem slow. They've been working on expanding West Ox Road into 4 lanes for what seems like forever.

Date: April 27, 2008 12:23PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://28freeway.com/project-map/5-fryingpan.html
>
> Unless the schedule has been changed, the Frying
> Pan Rd. interchange is scheduled to start this
> spring, not last year. They are behind schedule on
> the Church road/Atlantic Blvd section; that was
> supposed to be completed last fall.

I was talking about Centreville Rd in between the West Ox intersection and Frying Pan intersection, not the 28/Frying Pan interchange.

I agree with SBS too, on West Ox Rd near Vale and approaching 50, it was hell for nearly 6 months, the lanes were FINISHED too, but they were closed off forever.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:20PM

Dont forget the HOV lanes to Gainseville that took 2 years and they only got them half done. A project of that nature could have been done in 6-8 months by competent peoples

Date: April 27, 2008 03:24PM

that too.
the Air & Space museum parkway thing between Barnsfield and Wall Rd has progressed on the route 28 side, but its supposed to intersect Wall Rd (making Route 28 and the Sully house and museum accessible through Centreville Rd, significantly cutting down traffic at the 50/Centreville Rd intersection, and on McLearen Rd). Seems like nothing's changed in the past 8 months over there. There's signs facing the eastern direction, so its clear that there will be some sort of access road coming from Wall Rd or Centreville Rd, but there's just dirt in front of it. Why?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 27, 2008 03:43PM

Its probably a matter of priorities and funding. The Mixing Bowl - amazingly - was done on time and on budget...

Date: April 27, 2008 03:48PM

okay but the Willard Rd and Route 28 Intersection should be a high priority - have you seen the traffic during rush hour and on Westfield gamedays over there? It's absolutely inundated! The overpass over there will make and enormous difference.

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: April 27, 2008 09:00PM

I missed that in your first post, Brett, but you're right - it seems like there's some weird prioritization going on. Stuff that's half-done is just sitting there, but others like widening Rt 15 in Haymarket is going gangbusters.

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: April 28, 2008 07:05PM

VDOT itself doesn't build anything....low-bid contractors do. And they have plenty of trouble with those contractors failing to perform, going belly up and all sorts of shit.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 28, 2008 07:43PM

coffin Wrote:
> VDOT itself doesn't build anything....low-bid
> contractors do.

FWIW- you can search thru the commonwealth's solicitation notices for Highway Construction to see which prime contractors are scooping up the construction contracts. It doesn't show award values though, the bastards probably make you FOIA that kind of stuff.

Interestingly, I see alot of sole sourcing on the list- someone's making alot of $$ while nobody's watchin!

https://vendor.epro.cgipdc.com/loginEngine/index.jsp?failure_reason=LOGIN_REQUIRED#errAnchor

Posted by: Anonymous Coward ()
Date: April 28, 2008 08:18PM

And the irony is, we have the world's largest road construction outfit headquartered in the county: Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir.

Posted by: sfasdsadf ()
Date: July 12, 2010 01:55AM

well now its all done

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.