HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Budget
Posted by: Priorities? ()
Date: May 24, 2012 06:49PM

The school board votes tonight. They have 12 members with 10 Gatehouse staff members to serve them. Tonight they are voting to spend another half million to add 6 more Gatehouse staff for them. Meanwhile, they will probably cancel step increases for teachers, backtrack on COLA’s, and cut jobs for people who work to maintain the school buildings. And Shultz is putting a quarter million dollars away for a principal and equipment for Clifton Elementary. It's closed. This is what we voted for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Budget
Posted by: Liar ()
Date: May 24, 2012 06:56PM

Show me the agenda?

Posted by: the agenda ()
Date: May 24, 2012 07:23PM

http://commweb.fcps.edu/schoolboardapps/meetings.cfm

Highlights

-eliminating funding for step increases

-eliminating funding for a 2% market scale adjustment

-decreasing funding for preventive maintenance by $1.1 million and eliminating 17 positions

-I move to amend the main motion to direct the Superintendent to set aside $179,060 in the Salary Reserve for one Elementary Principal position and $75,367 in the Materials Reserve, pending a Board discussion on the school year 2012-2013 enrollment projections, a review of the impact of the Southwestern Region Boundary adjustments, and Clifton Elementary boundaries. (Elizabeth Schultz)

-I move to amend the amendment by decreasing $0.5 million for School Board Office support staff and by increasing the staffing reserve by $0.5 million and 6 positions. (Kathy Smith)

-I move to amend the main motion by decreasing the hourly salaries—substitute official/vac lv by $1.2 million and allocating the $1.2 million in a reserve account, pending Board evaluation of the relative value of these funds to the Board’s budget priorities. (Megan McLaughlin and Patty Reed)

Posted by: Watching ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:06PM

Looks like Strauss is trying to strip $600K from the BOARD'S staff budget to prevent them from hiring an independent auditor or research staff, 6 positions total. Looks like she will fail, but will be interesting to see who supports her.

Posted by: also watching ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:16PM

Sounds like Kathy Smith sees no need for an auditor--collaboration works so much better......staff, superintendent and board. Why would we need outsiders?????? This is what has made FCPS so great..

And this is even after the BOS told them to hire one!

Date: May 24, 2012 10:18PM

Smith and Strauss stood alone. Looks like an independent auditor is coming :).

Posted by: COLA ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:27PM

Employees should get the same COLA that County employees are getting.

Date: May 24, 2012 10:37PM

Tisdadt is being criticized for trying to sneak through changes in elementary school start times without allowing the communities of those schools to speak. He claims that's the only way to cut $500K from the transportation budget.

Date: May 24, 2012 10:53PM

Velkoff and Smith are trying to keep the $100 per sport athletic fee. Total collected would be $1.7 million. They failed.

Date: May 24, 2012 10:59PM

Smith tries again with a motion to keep the athletic fee. Even Velkoff does not support it this time. Not sure whether anyone even seconded it. Five minute break.

Date: May 24, 2012 11:14PM

McElveen wants $100K (says it will really only cost $50-60) to do a pilot kitchen at a school being renovated so they can prepare fresh food. Yum. Praise from everyone except Strauss, who speaks against it, but votes for it with everyone else.

Posted by: still watching ()
Date: May 24, 2012 11:35PM

McLaughlin just gave Dale a tongue lashing for not responding to budget question about outside consultants.

Dodge, dodge, dodge......

Date: May 24, 2012 11:40PM

Reid: "Problem is that this budget is neither transparent nor understandable.....
This board does not have confidence in the information we are seeing..."

Dale is squirming.

Motion failed to carry. For: Schultz, McLaughlin, Reid in support

Date: May 24, 2012 11:42PM

Mclaughlin notes that "other professional and contracted services" has doubled to $17 million. Wants to put $5 million of it in reserve until they can figure out where it is going. Reed supports. They hint that it has to do with why we are paying Disney for services. Hynes and Velkoff say they won't support the amendment because they don't like to support line item cuts. Staff (Susan Quinn) says a lot of these are already contracted: sasi, ecart, nurses, etc. Dale says he needs the money, but a quick working meeting would resolve it. Schultz scolds those who will not consider supporting line item budget amendments. Says they deserve our full attention. McLaughlin questions why Quinn could answer instantly tonight, but but could not answer when she asked before the meeting. The real question is how much goes to Disney, Aspen Group, a $70,000 consultant and other consultants. Notes that this is just a single $17.2 million line that we can not explain... others out there? Dale and Quinn try to explain why they can't answer the question of how much is being paid to consultants. Reed points out that other school districts post lists of these contracts, why can't we? Appears to be a common sense approach to keep some in reserve until staff can justify the spending, but only Schultz, Mclaughlin, and Reed vote in favor, so it fails.

Date: May 24, 2012 11:45PM

Appreciate Still Watching joining the conversation. Yes, Dale is squirming. Some members of this board are not tolerating his non-responses. Sure appears that they are hiding something. Tone of the meeting has definitely changed.

Date: May 24, 2012 11:46PM

Well, I think we now know who listens to the public.

Date: May 24, 2012 11:48PM

2.5 million for subs while teachers go to training. Wow! So, what do they do on teacher workdays?

Date: May 24, 2012 11:53PM

McLaughlin now trying to get answers on money paid to hire substitutes under vacancy and official leave category. Costs went from $1.5 to $3. something million over two years with no good explanation. Again Reed questions whether this is a good use of resources. Dale is questioning whether the board wants to be in the weeds (micromanage). Reed counters that teachers are saying they are being forced to go to training that they don't need or want. Evans agrees... why are these costs going up so fast? Shultz, Evans, Mclaughlin, Reed vote for amendment, it fails. Hmmm, a trend starting here?

Date: May 25, 2012 12:05AM

Schultz notes how Union Mill and other schools have been harmed by closing of Clifton: buses very late, accidents, art room removed, bands practicing in hallways, overcrowded classes, teachers without full-time classrooms, etc. Wants to put money in reserve to possibly pay one person in case the board later wants to look at reopening Clifton. McLaughlin notes that there have been some very serious consequences of Clifton closing: extremely long Kiss and Ride lines, loss of computer labs, student commute times tripled in some cases. Also want the A/C turned on to protect the building. Shultz, Evans, Mclaughlin, Reed support it. Fails. Notes that all they wanted was a reserve and a start of discussion. Very unfortunate.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:10AM

Schultz only asked for a conversation about Clifton.

Same as last year 5 to 4. Strauss and Smith sheep fall in line. Thought maybe they would pick up one more. So, who has a moral compass? I know the "old guard" won't admit they were wrong--but I guess I thought the new ones might show a little more guts.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:13AM

How did Jack Dale manage to get so many people in his pocket? Makes no sense.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:16AM

Just became clear to me that Gatehouse people make a whole lot more than teachers in the trenches.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:19AM

Interesting discussion that when all employees receive the same percentage increase, the highest paid gatehouse staff receive far more dollars than counselors and mental health aides in schools.

Date: May 25, 2012 12:26AM

Schultz question about how do we know you will use this reserve for class sizes is enlightening. Especially with Dale's response. What BS!

Date: May 25, 2012 12:41AM

Looks like questions to staff from several board members were stonewalled for months until time ran out. The solution for these members was to ask the rest of the board to put some money in reserve instead of spending it until the answers are forthcoming. Appears to me that Dale is smirking now that he sees that he has the votes to get all the money he wants without providing answers.

Schultz notes that contracts under $200,000 are not visible. Adds up to tens of millions of dollars. Susan Quinn is trying to explain. She appears brilliant but tired and possibly forced to toe the line for Dale.

They are all tired and cranky now. Student rep, who had some very insightful comments earlier, has left.

Date: May 25, 2012 01:10AM

Finally, the main budget motion, as amended is being voted on. But wait, more talk. Smith leans to vote no because employee raises not high enough. Schultz says that's disconcerting since $15 million has been added to compensation and other opportunities were there to put more money there, but the motions all failed. McLaughlin also wanted more money for employees; have not done enough. Wants zero-based budget approach next year. Teachers are saying that huge amount of money is burned at the end of each year. Everyone applauds Quinn at Evans urging... 200 pages of answers provided. Evans supports budget, especially analysis done by individual board members. Storck believes we are still underinvesting in education. Need more money from county and state. Mcelveen says VRS reserve is a disappointment, needs more money. Moon says the budget may not include everything wanted, but is going in the right direction. Strauss says we should be thankful compared with other school districts in other states, and that we did receive increases from the state and county board. Reed says tiny VRS reserve is causing her to vote against the budget. Schultz says we did not pay attention to the written commentary and public hearings, too supportive of superintendent wishes. Didn't incorporate the 200 pages of answers prepared by Quinn. We are not listening to employees. Won't support. Velkoff made an analogy that no one understands. Budget passes, close vote.

Date: May 25, 2012 01:34AM

OK, one final issue. Something about a forum and teacher workdays. Apparently Dale screwed up big time and blindsided the board. Unclear what it was about, but Dale took one final lashing at 1:30 am.

Oh, and old Graham Road school is going to be a community center as promised, so everyone please stop trying to get it for themselves. G'night y'all.

Posted by: Yay ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:18AM

school board spent $600,000 to give themselves more gatehouse staff. who cares if there are 30+ kids in the classroom. based on the part i saw, i hope they hire some tutors. looks like they need some remedial training.

Posted by: Shriberman ()
Date: May 25, 2012 06:41AM

the real question is when is Dale actually leaving and will FCPS parents EVER demand better than this? prolly not, they just bitch and do nothing and assume it is a great edumacation. More gatehouse staff to be used for more brainwashing of school board and community, here watch while everything meaningful is done in the summer when no one is paying attention as usual, f-ing "best practices"

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:13AM

Our high schoolers report they are depressed in the FCPS survey and this bunch votes down putting social workers and shrinks into the middle & high schools not once but twice so that we can have string instrument instruction in elementary school and Fless.

FUBAR

Budget passes 7-5. If Dan, Megan or Sandy vote the other way, they start over.

An opportunity lost.

Posted by: positively pathetic ()
Date: May 25, 2012 09:51AM

Dale needs to leave now. He has made a mockery out of FCPS.

The School Board doesn't trust a damn word he says.

Posted by: Yippee ()
Date: May 25, 2012 10:19AM

Yay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> school board spent $600,000 to give themselves
> more gatehouse staff. who cares if there are 30+
> kids in the classroom. based on the part i saw, i
> hope they hire some tutors. looks like they need
> some remedial training.

It is unfortunate, but as long as the Dale/Tisdadt team are in charge, the Board needs the extra help, especially their own auditing team. One staff member shared among three board members is simply not enough for them to provide the oversight that the public deserves.

Posted by: Yippee ()
Date: May 25, 2012 10:21AM

Thomas More Wrote:

>
> Budget passes 7-5. If Dan, Megan or Sandy vote
> the other way, they start over.
>
> An opportunity lost.

My feelings exactly.

Posted by: stll wondering ()
Date: May 25, 2012 10:50AM

from positively pathetic:

"Dale needs to leave now. He has made a mockery out of FCPS.

The School Board doesn't trust a damn word he says."

A couple of exceptions: Smith and Strauss

Oh, and Smith claims her community has no problem with athletic fees. Oh, really!
I don't think her kids played sports.

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: May 25, 2012 11:25AM

2.5 million for subs for teachers who are at training?

Someone please figure out how many teacher days missed due to training.

Assuming $100 per sub--very generous, that is 25,000 teacher workdays! 119 teacher work years......That would translate to 119 more teachers if we eliminated training during school days.
Please someone, correct my reasoning and tell me I am wrong.

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: May 25, 2012 11:53AM

Dear FCPS Employee:

At their regular meeting, the Fairfax County School Board last night adopted the FY2013 budget of $2.4 billion. The transfer from the Board of Supervisors was $63 million less than our request. So again, this year we have had to make some very tough decisions to balance the budget. Again in FY2013, we expect to add nearly 4,000 new students into our schools with a projected enrollment of more than 181,000. FCPS will need to hire 700 new staff members to address enrollment growth and the educational impacts of student demographic changes. Furthermore, the state mandated that new employees begin to pay the five percent employer share of the Virginia Retirement System. The state indicated that for existing employees, the five percent shift could be phased in over five years. In either case, the school system must adjust employees salaries permanently to cover the employee share.

Budget highlights:

· Employees who participate in VRS will begin paying two percent toward their state retirement and their salaries will be adjusted up two percent. FCPS will begin paying 1% of the employee share of ERFC. There are no changes to the FCERS retirement.

· Market scale adjustment of 1.25%

· Athletic fees will be eliminated

· Extended learning time for students will be provided

· Additional funding for the staffing reserve to address large class sizes

· Two new schools opening – Mason Crest Elementary and South County Middle Schools

· Benefits provided for parent liaisons and multilingual interpreters

· School board additional staff positions up to $600,000

Here’s a link to the budget page where you can get most of your questions answered. Additional documents will be posted in the coming days.

Posted by: Heh heh ()
Date: May 25, 2012 01:33PM

Gatehouse is really scared about the $600,000 the school board will use to hire people to watch over them. Running for cover (or retirement in the case of the highest paid).

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: May 25, 2012 03:30PM

Storck wants the taxpayer to pony up more money.

I really don't object if it raises the quality of education. However, after watching the fiasco of a meeting last night, I am not inclined to support higher taxes.

Does Dale not understand priorities?
Teacher training and substitutes for school days. Disney Institute for leadership?
How about giving teachers time to teach.
How about getting rid of some consultants.
How about .....

Posted by: Retired teacher ()
Date: May 25, 2012 04:34PM

Three teacher workdays at the end of the year? We only had one and half didn’t even show up for that one because they were able to check out within a couple hours of the kids leaving. And now they're griping becasue they're being asked to do some work during these days? People used to bitch whenever we would be taken out of the classroom for training -- me included. Why aren't they doing the trainings on these workdays? What are they going to do for three days?

Posted by: Current Teacher ()
Date: May 25, 2012 10:06PM

Retired teacher Wrote:
> Three teacher workdays at the end of the year? We
> only had one and half didn’t even show up for
> that one because they were able to check out
> within a couple hours of the kids leaving. And now
> they're griping becasue they're being asked to do
> some work during these days? People used to bitch
> whenever we would be taken out of the classroom
> for training -- me included. Why aren't they doing
> the trainings on these workdays? What are they
> going to do for three days?

They do trainings on workdays during the school year. The 18th and 19th are being filled with meetings/trainings. You'd be surprised how many hours I miss during the school year due to CLT and other meetings and yes, I do not like being out of the classroom.

Posted by: mdn8tv ()
Date: May 26, 2012 03:33AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> Our high schoolers report they are depressed in
> the FCPS survey and this bunch votes down putting
> social workers and shrinks into the middle & high
> schools not once but twice so that we can have
> string instrument instruction in elementary school
> and Fless.
>
> FUBAR
>
> Budget passes 7-5. If Dan, Megan or Sandy vote
> the other way, they start over.
>
> An opportunity lost.

Crap. The lib's on the Schoolboard didn't vote for social wkrs + counselors to help in MS/HS? What's up?
Because it costs so much less to have kids struggle or fail, repeat or drop=out. Super guys. What a screwed up set of priorities. Not having balanced kids with good resources entering workforce or 4 or 2 year college costs us a bundle later. Too bad this was a big missed opportunity.

Posted by: wrong track right track ()
Date: May 26, 2012 07:50AM

Yup. They chose add a bunch of gatehouse staff for them instead of hire counselrs for the kids.

Posted by: Stop the madness ()
Date: May 26, 2012 11:24AM

The subs for teacher training rationalize lots of jobs at Gatehouse. The "specialists" have to give "staff development" to the teachers to justify all those jobs at Gatehouse. Not only do the teachers have to suffer through those awful meetings, but the students get stuck with a "sub" for the day (and you know how useful that is). The great teachers know more than the specialists and suffer the most at those meetings (and can get jobs elsewhere if the pay and requirements become unsufferable---especially since the retirement deal is being pulled away). The only winners are the overpaid bureaucrats. Anything that is that important can be imparted through our wonderful system of technology (aka email) or through Skype, etc. We have the technology. We don't need people burning gas driving to meetings and leaving the kids with subpar teaching for the day. It's totally ridiculous.

My question is---how can we have 4,000 more students entering the system in one year (and it seems to keep happening these past years) and not have added tax revenue? Those people aren't paying taxes? Or maybe the people who have been paying taxes are moving out (which many plan to do as soon as they can)? People are paying a lot in taxes and fees---which are taxes really--- and getting less (huge class sizes and reductions in the arts)? What the heck. Might as well live somewhere else---there's nothing "special" about this place anymore----just expensive and no return.

Oh, yeah, the 9th graders get to take a personal finance class, an online class, and have to put in more "community service" hours. Education is not about choice any more----all what "they" think is good for "us". Thanks for making public education more painful every day.

Posted by: The process ()
Date: May 26, 2012 09:08PM

Is there a process to recall school board members like the one in Wisconsin for governor? If so, does anyone know the process? Some of these people have to go and we can’t wait for 4 years.

Posted by: still reading your crap... ()
Date: May 28, 2012 06:06PM

Watching Wrote:
> Finally, the main budget motion, as amended is
> being voted on. But wait, more talk. Smith leans
> to vote no because employee raises not high
> enough. Schultz says that's disconcerting since
> $15 million has been added to compensation and
> other opportunities were there to put more money
> there, but the motions all failed. McLaughlin
> also wanted more money for employees; have not
> done enough. Wants zero-based budget approach
> next year. Teachers are saying that huge amount
> of money is burned at the end of each year.
> Everyone applauds Quinn at Evans urging... 200
> pages of answers provided. Evans supports budget,
> especially analysis done by individual board
> members. Storck believes we are still
> underinvesting in education. Need more money from
> county and state. Mcelveen says VRS reserve is a
> disappointment, needs more money. Moon says the
> budget may not include everything wanted, but is
> going in the right direction. Strauss says we
> should be thankful compared with other school
> districts in other states, and that we did receive
> increases from the state and county board. Reed
> says tiny VRS reserve is causing her to vote
> against the budget. Schultz says we did not pay
> attention to the written commentary and public
> hearings, too supportive of superintendent wishes.
> Didn't incorporate the 200 pages of answers
> prepared by Quinn. We are not listening to
> employees. Won't support. Velkoff made an
> analogy that no one understands. Budget passes,
> close vote.

Get a life much?

Posted by: Fake Teacher Raises ()
Date: May 28, 2012 07:47PM

‘Fake’ teacher raises a sign of much deeper issues
Until recently, teachers in Fairfax County were paying 4 percent of their income into the local retirement plan.

But the Virginia General Assembly decided that wasn’t enough. Lawmakers thought we should contribute into our state retirement plan (VRS), as well.

You know, the pension plan they have spent several years underfunding by about a bajillion dollars.

Now Fairfax County Public Schools needs us to pay 5 percent into VRS in the next five years — gradually or all at once.

In order to give us the money to put the extra 5 percent in, they have to provide us with a 5 percent increase in pay. However, the 5 percent raise actually will cost us slightly more than 5 percent in extra salary —taxing at a higher rate, etc. — so it isn’t an even trade-off.

We are getting a 5 percent raise during the next five years that actually will cost us more than 5 percent — to pay into retirement. We will end up losing money. This is what is known as a “negative raise,” or an “upside-down raise,” or a “Wait! That’s not a raise!”

If you pay 5 percent into VRS and still keep the 4 percent in the local plan, then you end up paying 9 percent into your retirement. Although a lofty financial goal, it’s not appropriate for teachers.

Here’s how I know:

If teachers pay 9 percent into their retirement, then they don’t have enough money to eat. (Please don’t confuse us with other professionals who are well paid). If they don’t eat, then they die. If they die, they don’t teach children particularly well, nor do they care much about their retirement — perhaps that was the General Assembly’s real plan to begin with …

Please don’t think any of what I’ve expressed to be flippant in tone or content. Everything — except maybe the “‘bajillion” — is true, and effectively sums up how we got to this point.

The local School Board, like their colleagues throughout the state, is struggling to make the transition. They are trying to determine how to give their employees a “fake 5 percent raise,” while making the public understand that both they and their workers really just lost money. Along the way, the goals of giving teachers step increases, which are based upon years of experience and level of education; tuition reimbursements; or pay increases (real ones), have been “postponed indefinitely.”

You won’t sell more homes in Fairfax if teachers must live in their parent’s basements.

Some teachers might continue to commute in from outside of Fairfax — and shop where they live.

Teachers’ earning power and professional respect continues to diminish. Attacks on our contractual and due process rights, as well as the devaluing of our professional voice in the classroom, are devastating our collective morale.

Who wants to be a teacher?

Are any of our best teachers planning on staying — and even making it to retirement?

I think Virginia might have a much bigger problem than just VRS or the School Board’s budget.

Steven L. Greenburg,

President, Fairfax County Federation of Teachers

Posted by: It's for the children ()
Date: May 28, 2012 08:05PM

Real Estate taxes should be raised to 10% of a homes value a year. Teachers could the get 200K a year and a 75% pension. It's for the children!!

Posted by: Greenburg? ()
Date: May 29, 2012 12:53AM

Sounds like the teacher's unions don't understand that in the 21st century any retirement package must be paid for and managed by individual employees. The days of free money after 20 years are long gone. Maybe a day for each of the teachers in that new building behind Frost MS would help educate them.

Posted by: Sandy ()
Date: May 29, 2012 06:22AM

The VRS boondoggle is really about increasing base salary for those within three years of retirement-pensions are calculated on the salary for those years--how many principals and gatehouse staff are planning to retire in the next 3?

Posted by: Hmm ()
Date: May 29, 2012 06:32AM

When is Jack and his cronies at Gatehouse retiring? In the next three years? We need an audit before he leaves.

Posted by: VRS ()
Date: May 29, 2012 07:06AM

The change was made by the legislature & signed by the Governor. Probably so people could not argue that public employees were getting a free ride on retirement. Smoke and mirrors for sure, but looks like an attempt to appease the wackos. Not sure how this is being turned into a conspiracy where principals and Dale are padding their retirements.

Posted by: better for some ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:21AM

I'm a teacher. I would be happy to manage my own retirement, but they will have to give me back all the money that I put into VRS and ERFC plus interest so that I can now invest it myself. I'm okay with that seriously because I don't trust what is going to happen to the pensions if the state continues to manage them (they can't keep this Ponzi scheme going). I"m not relying on my highest three years as being a lot because I just got cut down on my contract from 11 months to 10 months (so I'm taking a 10% cut in pay this year). They shouldn't base your pension on that anyway---it should be an average of more than 3 years---it's no wonder the new teachers have a horrible pension plan now. I am with FCPS and will probably never regain that 11 month salary that I had before I retire. I"m in my 50's. I'm ready to take the money and do it myself. Why not. They should give us the option. I was forced into ERFC when I started and I didn't want it because I started this job late and it only pays off if you put in 25 years starting at about age 25 or so. What I really wanted was to have that money for a 401K style option. There should be choices for people. I would have preferred a matching option on a 401K style plan (they call it a 403b). They need to start being more flexible. I have nothing against defined pensions, but they have to be managed well (not skimmed off by the state in good years and then "changed" radically in outlying years---which is about to happen) and there should be some options.

Posted by: APorIBMom ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:37AM

The state gave local school districts a choice of implementing the full 5% VRS change in one year, or phasing it in over up to five years, such as by implementing it 1% in FY 2013, another 1% in FY 2014, etc. With each 1% shift, the employee's gross salary increases by 1% and the employee has to contribute an additional 1% of that gross salary to the VRS pension plan.

The FCPS Superintendent proposed to phase in the full 5% in FY 2013. His and his staff's "analysis" was carefully crafted to mislead School Board members into believing that gradually implementing the VRS shift would cost more money than making the full 5% VRS change in FY 2013. Only after repeated and pointed questions did the Assistant Superintendent of Financial Services finally acknowledge that it wouldn't.

So why did Jack Dale propose the full 5% change in FY 2013, even though that would reduce FCPS flexibility to adapt to possible future state-mandated changes in VRS, among other things? Well, here's one possible explanation. It would provide a substantial benefit to employees planning to retire in the next few years, because their pension distributions - for the rest of their lives - would be computed based on the higher gross salaries.

Posted by: get a grip ()
Date: May 29, 2012 05:52PM

APorIBMom Wrote:
> The state gave local school districts a choice of
> implementing the full 5% VRS change in one year,
> or phasing it in over up to five years, such as by
> implementing it 1% in FY 2013, another 1% in FY
> 2014, etc. With each 1% shift, the employee's
> gross salary increases by 1% and the employee has
> to contribute an additional 1% of that gross
> salary to the VRS pension plan.
>
> The FCPS Superintendent proposed to phase in the
> full 5% in FY 2013. His and his staff's
> "analysis" was carefully crafted to mislead School
> Board members into believing that gradually
> implementing the VRS shift would cost more money
> than making the full 5% VRS change in FY 2013.
> Only after repeated and pointed questions did the
> Assistant Superintendent of Financial Services
> finally acknowledge that it wouldn't.
>
> So why did Jack Dale propose the full 5% change in
> FY 2013, even though that would reduce FCPS
> flexibility to adapt to possible future
> state-mandated changes in VRS, among other things?
> Well, here's one possible explanation. It would
> provide a substantial benefit to employees
> planning to retire in the next few years, because
> their pension distributions - for the rest of
> their lives - would be computed based on the
> higher gross salaries.

You people are crazy.

Posted by: really now ()
Date: May 29, 2012 06:00PM

but they will have to give me back all the money that I put into VRS and ERFC plus interest so that I can now invest it myself.

Exactly how much of YOUR OWN MONEY did you have deducted from your paycheck?

Posted by: rico ()
Date: May 29, 2012 06:15PM

The point about the retirement system is valid--from the perspective of the tax payers, we dont know what's going to happen down the road with that system--so what is the point of paying it all right now? Especially in a down economy. . . . doesn't add up. .

Posted by: fuzzy math ()
Date: May 29, 2012 08:46PM

really now Wrote:
> but they will have to give me back all the money
> that I put into VRS and ERFC plus interest so that
> I can now invest it myself.
>
>
>
> Exactly how much of YOUR OWN MONEY did you have
> deducted from your paycheck?

A new teacher makes about $45,000 per year. A retiring teacher makes about $90,000 a year. 5% goes into the retirement system. So a new teacher contributes $2250 a year and the retiring teacher puts $4500 a year into it. At today's pay and rate, over 30 years the teacher contributes just over $100,000 into the state retirement system and retires at 55. Average life expectancy is well over 75, with women (more teachers are women) living longer than men.

I am not 100% clear on what the state retirement pays teachers, but I have heard it is over 50% of the highest few years of salary with the local retirement system kicking it up to around 75%. Let’s go with 50% of the $90,000 salary. So the teacher retires and gets about $45,000 per year from the state. Live for 20 more years and the teacher collects $900,000. Live until 85 and the teacher collects $1.35 million. All of this on a $100,000 investment.

Even if you got all your money back with interest you won’t make this kind of return on your investment. If you plan to die at 56 it makes sense. If you think will live to average life expectancy or beyond, you have an incredibly great deal.

Posted by: doot ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:06PM

What I wanna know is when is McDonnell going to pay back the $600,000,000 he "borrowed" from VRS to "balance" the State budget WITHOUT RAISING TAXES!!!!

THEFT is how you fuck up a retirement system. Between StickyFingers McDonnell and the Wall Street mob that cost VRS billions, it's a wonder VRS has two fucking dimes to rub together.

Lock the fuckers up!

Posted by: math-TJ student style ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:09PM

Any TJ kids here to help us out? Fuzzy math is all over the map in the FCPS.

Posted by: FCPS Untracked Labor Pool ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:34PM

From Washington Examiner

What do you call a $10 million-a-year public school fund for which "no historical records" are available to document how and where the money was spent? Fairfax County Public Schools calls it the "staffing reserve." Irate parents refer to it as a slush fund.

The theory behind the staffing reserve is simple. It allows FCPS to hire additional teachers if there's an unexpected surge in enrollment. But it doesn't work that way in practice. For example, when the principal of Wolftrap Elementary asked for additional help because a third-grade class had 36 students, the school was allotted .2 teachers from the staffing reserve -- enough for one teacher to come in just one day a week.

Wolftrap is not the only Fairfax County school with classes much larger than the advertised average. Parents have painstakingly begun compiling a list after their requests for information about the staffing reserve were stonewalled by FCPS. Churchill Road, Haycock and Spring Hill elementary schools all have classes at or exceeding 30 students. This has been going on for years, even though numerous studies show academic achievement goes down when the student-teacher ratio goes up.

School Board member Elizabeth Schultz, representing the Springfield District, also hit a brick wall when she tried to find out why some classes were still so large despite the well-funded staffing reserve. But in an email exchange obtained by The Washington Examiner, FCPS Superintendent Jack Dale informed Schultz there were "no historical records" available beyond this year.

A clearly incredulous Schultz asked Dale why, if the staffing reserve is predominantly used to meet unexpected enrollment demands, it has been steadily increasing, since "the circumstances which dictate the need for an additional teacher here or there do not materially and geographically change across our entire school system every year." And because "unexpected students do not evaporate the following year," Schultz added, the need for extra teachers should be going down, not up.

FCPS allocated $9.3 million for the staffing reserve in its fiscal 2012 budget, but nearly $11 million for fiscal 2013, with no explanation. Next year's approved budget increases the staffing reserve by six full-time positions, costing taxpayers an additional $526,363.

"With no historical data of how, why and where tens of millions have been spent or on what teaching or support positions they have been allocated, continued annual growth in this category is unverifiable," Schultz told Dale, calling the staffing reserve "a $10 million untracked pool of labor."

Dale acknowledged that placing up to 240 reserve teachers involves "a large group deliberation." They receive paychecks and benefits just like other FCPS teachers. So somebody in Dale's finance office had to transfer the money from the staffing reserve account to payroll. Somebody else in the human resources office had to have known where these reserve teachers were sent, and the same applies to the administrators to whose clusters they were assigned.

But nobody in FCPS, from the superintendent on down, is willing to provide this information to an elected School Board member, the taxpayers she represents, or the parents of children stuck in a single third-grade math class with 35 other students.

When Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay recently complained during a public session on the schools, which consume roughly half of Fairfax County's $3.5 billion budget, that "you really can't tell exactly what money is going to what school, and you really can't measure whether or not that money is being wisely used," he wasn't kidding.

When complaints about the lack of transparency are met by official obfuscation, it often means there's something to hide.

Barbara F. Hollingsworth is The Examiner's local opinion editor.

Posted by: Is the the union prez? ()
Date: May 29, 2012 09:55PM

doot Wrote:
> What I wanna know is when is McDonnell going to
> pay back the $600,000,000 he "borrowed" from VRS
> to "balance" the State budget WITHOUT RAISING
> TAXES!!!!
>
> THEFT is how you fuck up a retirement system.
> Between StickyFingers McDonnell and the Wall
> Street mob that cost VRS billions, it's a wonder
> VRS has two fucking dimes to rub together.
>
> Lock the fuckers up!

This sounds like the way Greenburg talks. Read the op-ed.It's got to be him.

Posted by: Show me the money ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:18PM

Where did all the money go from closing CES? Please don't call me an asshole. This is an honest question.

The money from closing CES did not go to Fairview or Union Mill ES. They are dumps with trailers.

Posted by: say ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:25PM

Show me the money Wrote:
> Where did all the money go from closing CES?
> Please don't call me an asshole. This is an honest
> question.
>
> The money from closing CES did not go to Fairview
> or Union Mill ES. They are dumps with trailers.

What money? The Clifton staff just moved to other schools, so no savings there. Transportation probably costs more now, so no savings there.

The only money to be made is the sale of the property, which is probably the real reason the school was closed. Even that may be minimal if the property is sold for peanuts to politically connected cronies.

Posted by: I heard ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:28PM

Wegman's is moving into the old CES property. Yea!

Posted by: The point? ()
Date: May 29, 2012 10:43PM

FCPS Untracked Labor Pool Wrote:
> From Washington Examiner
>
> What do you call a $10 million-a-year public
> school fund for which "no historical records" are
> available to document how and where the money was
> spent? Fairfax County Public Schools calls it the
> "staffing reserve." Irate parents refer to it as a
> slush fund.
>
> The theory behind the staffing reserve is simple.
> It allows FCPS to hire additional teachers if
> there's an unexpected surge in enrollment. But it
> doesn't work that way in practice. For example,
> when the principal of Wolftrap Elementary asked
> for additional help because a third-grade class
> had 36 students, the school was allotted .2
> teachers from the staffing reserve -- enough for
> one teacher to come in just one day a week.
>
> Wolftrap is not the only Fairfax County school
> with classes much larger than the advertised
> average. Parents have painstakingly begun
> compiling a list after their requests for
> information about the staffing reserve were
> stonewalled by FCPS. Churchill Road, Haycock and
> Spring Hill elementary schools all have classes at
> or exceeding 30 students. This has been going on
> for years, even though numerous studies show
> academic achievement goes down when the
> student-teacher ratio goes up.
>
> School Board member Elizabeth Schultz,
> representing the Springfield District, also hit a
> brick wall when she tried to find out why some
> classes were still so large despite the
> well-funded staffing reserve. But in an email
> exchange obtained by The Washington Examiner, FCPS
> Superintendent Jack Dale informed Schultz there
> were "no historical records" available beyond this
> year.
>
> A clearly incredulous Schultz asked Dale why, if
> the staffing reserve is predominantly used to meet
> unexpected enrollment demands, it has been
> steadily increasing, since "the circumstances
> which dictate the need for an additional teacher
> here or there do not materially and geographically
> change across our entire school system every
> year." And because "unexpected students do not
> evaporate the following year," Schultz added, the
> need for extra teachers should be going down, not
> up.
>
> FCPS allocated $9.3 million for the staffing
> reserve in its fiscal 2012 budget, but nearly $11
> million for fiscal 2013, with no explanation. Next
> year's approved budget increases the staffing
> reserve by six full-time positions, costing
> taxpayers an additional $526,363.
>
> "With no historical data of how, why and where
> tens of millions have been spent or on what
> teaching or support positions they have been
> allocated, continued annual growth in this
> category is unverifiable," Schultz told Dale,
> calling the staffing reserve "a $10 million
> untracked pool of labor."
>
> Dale acknowledged that placing up to 240 reserve
> teachers involves "a large group deliberation."
> They receive paychecks and benefits just like
> other FCPS teachers. So somebody in Dale's finance
> office had to transfer the money from the staffing
> reserve account to payroll. Somebody else in the
> human resources office had to have known where
> these reserve teachers were sent, and the same
> applies to the administrators to whose clusters
> they were assigned.
>
> But nobody in FCPS, from the superintendent on
> down, is willing to provide this information to an
> elected School Board member, the taxpayers she
> represents, or the parents of children stuck in a
> single third-grade math class with 35 other
> students.
>
> When Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay recently
> complained during a public session on the schools,
> which consume roughly half of Fairfax County's
> $3.5 billion budget, that "you really can't tell
> exactly what money is going to what school, and
> you really can't measure whether or not that money
> is being wisely used," he wasn't kidding.
>
> When complaints about the lack of transparency are
> met by official obfuscation, it often means
> there's something to hide.
>
> Barbara F. Hollingsworth is The Examiner's local
> opinion editor.

Ok, read this twice. So what’s her point? FCPS should drain the staffing reserve so the $10 million (out of 2.2+ billion) should go somewhere else? Where does she think this money should go? She doesn’t say – where is the transparency? Complain with no solution? That’s so Fairfax.

And what should the schools do if they need extra teachers next fall because several families with kids move into a home and unexpectedly crowd a classroom. Say suck it up, after all, we put the money where the Washington Examiner said we should (or at least did not put it in the staffing reserve to be used from some wrong or dastardly purpose)? $10 million sounds like a lot, but is about $50,000 per school. There are some 200 or so schools in Fairfax. How many millions are spent on salaries in the average school? Many I guess , so having about $50,000 on average per school to deal with unexpected growth makes sense. Unless you are searching, digging, or begging for a scandal you understand this

Yes, specific “historical records” will now be kept on the use of this “fund.” It’s not that they weren’t available before, I am sure they were. It is that people, rational people, did not ask to see them. Thank goodness the taxpayer will be responsible for funding another gatehouse position to track these records. How many “irate parents” are we talking about? Probably 5-10 out of the 150,000 families in FCPS. The more I read this crap the more I want to step out and challenge these people. Unfortunately, I also fear what may happen to my kids if I do.

Posted by: r. doro ()
Date: May 29, 2012 11:39PM

This excessive waste of taxpayer money is why I removed my son from
Fairfax Co. Public School System (even though accepted at T.J.) The arrogance
and sense of entitlement espoused by public school teachers and administrators
who cannot be fired or otherwised removed excepting upon great public expense
represents a dangerously entrenched beaurocratic monopoly that must be broken.
It is always "for the children", and these selfish idiots will even drag our
children to school board hearings, instructing them on methods of pleadings to further their cause. And pity the poor parent who does not curry the favor
of his son's teacher or the "parent-teacher assn.) group for fear his/her
child may not receive an adequate "grade". This is too much power allotted
"public servants". Overpaid, effetist, elitist, arrogant, self-aggrandizing
people who could not in life otherwise do. Go, Saint Albans!!!!
R

Posted by: So? ()
Date: May 30, 2012 07:28AM

Congrats on spending $37,000/year while your property taxes still pay FCPS salaries.

r. doro Wrote:
> This excessive waste of taxpayer money is why I
> removed my son from
> Fairfax Co. Public School System (even though
> accepted at T.J.) The arrogance
> and sense of entitlement espoused by public school
> teachers and administrators
> who cannot be fired or otherwised removed
> excepting upon great public expense
> represents a dangerously entrenched beaurocratic
> monopoly that must be broken.
> It is always "for the children", and these selfish
> idiots will even drag our
> children to school board hearings, instructing
> them on methods of pleadings to further their
> cause. And pity the poor parent who does not curry
> the favor
> of his son's teacher or the "parent-teacher assn.)
> group for fear his/her
> child may not receive an adequate "grade". This
> is too much power allotted
> "public servants". Overpaid, effetist, elitist,
> arrogant, self-aggrandizing
> people who could not in life otherwise do. Go,
> Saint Albans!!!!
> R

Posted by: I am the 1% ()
Date: May 30, 2012 07:57AM

Private school is the way to go.

Posted by: Simple Answer will do ()
Date: May 30, 2012 11:23AM

Replying to writer "The Point."

"Ok, read this twice. So what’s her point? FCPS should drain the staffing reserve so the $10 million (out of 2.2+ billion) should go somewhere else? Where does she think this money should go? She doesn’t say – where is the transparency? Complain with no solution? That’s so Fairfax."

The point of the Hollingsworth article was not about draining the staffing reserve, it was about FCPS providing the data as to where the staffing reserve funds were used.

You are correct when you state: Yes, specific “historical records” will now be kept on the use of this “fund.” It’s not that they weren’t available before, I am sure they were. It is that people, rational people, did not ask to see them.

How do you know the historical data were available? Are you saying that it is not rational to ask how $10,000,000 dollars was spent?

In response to your comment...."The more I read this crap the more I want to step out and challenge these people. Unfortunately, I also fear what may happen to my kids if I do."

Who is "these people?" FCPS or folks asking for data?

These people" are the same ones who invest hundreds of hours to ensure that the 2.3 billion dollars get to the teachers and children. They are the ones protecting your kids.

Posted by: to Simple Answer will do ()
Date: May 30, 2012 08:12PM

Unfortunately, simple answers won't do.

>Replying to writer "The Point." The point of the Hollingsworth article was not about draining the staffing reserve, it was about FCPS providing the data as to where the staffing reserve funds were used.

---Who has asked where the “staffing reserve funds” were used?
---If someone did ask, what was the answer?
---Who are the irate parents and how many are there?

>How do you know the historical data were available? Are you saying that it is not rational to ask how $10,000,000 dollars was spent?

---Don’t know what could be made available. Sounds like this data was not tracked but did not read that it wasn't retrievable. Has anyone asked for it to be retrieved rather than what has been tracked?
---No, not irrational to ask where the money went. Did someone ask? What was the answer?
---Ask the question, get the answer, and then arrive at conclusions. Sounds like the conclusions have been made so "the facts" are bing manipulated to support them.
---Did anyone ask why “historical data” was not being kept?

>In response to your comment...."The more I read this crap the more I want to step out and challenge these people. Unfortunately, I also fear what may happen to my kids if I do."
>Who is "these people?" FCPS or folks asking for data?

---Not an answerable question in the way it was presented. There are lots of people not FCPS and not asking for data.
---It looks like lots of charges are being levied without substantiation or challenge. I would like to challenge them and ask people to show evidence, but I am afraid doing so will negatively affect my kids.
---I would speak up in public, but I have kids in school. If I do, I am afraid they will be targeted and my family maligned. It is safer to stay silent for now. Maybe when my kids are grown and gone.

> “These people" are the same ones who invest hundreds of hours to ensure that the 2.3 billion dollars get to the teachers and children. They are the ones protecting your kids.

---If you say so. Maybe you are right, or maybe “these people” are the ones who are working to have the money serve their own agendas. Does not mean they are protecting your kids or my kids or getting resources to the classroom. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil. Maybe this wheel is not the problem, most deserving of attention, or in immediate need of oil. Maybe other wheels are about to fall off but do not squeak. They could ultimately bring the whole vehicle down, but the people in charge don't pay attention because they have diverted their attention and resources to the squeaky wheel. The noise is finally quashed, but the vehicle collapses and maybe even all inside perish. At least the squeaky wheel squeaks no more. Problem solved. Everyone gets reelected.

Posted by: Tood ()
Date: May 30, 2012 09:29PM

doot Wrote:
> What I wanna know is when is McDonnell going to
> pay back the $600,000,000 he "borrowed" from VRS
> to "balance" the State budget WITHOUT RAISING
> TAXES!!!!
>

According to Blue Virginia, it was actually a $620 million loan from the VRS that helped balance the budget during a year that most other states raised taxes and the Federal Government ran their highest deficit ever.

Governor McDonnell started paying the VRS loan back in 2011 with a contribution of $142 million, mostly for teacher pensions. Remember that VRS covers many state and local employees, not just teachers, and that the loan is being repaid with interest.

Oh, and McDonnell also signed off on a plan to make the VRS solvent over the long term without hurting long-time employees. Considering the bankrupt VRS that he was handed at the beginning of his term, that's quite an achievement in itself.

Not that I expect this information will quiet your whining one iota. Go look at Blue Virginia or the union sites for some words on how to make these accomplishments sound like a failure.

Make VRS Solvent???
Posted by: hands off VRS ()
Date: May 30, 2012 09:44PM

I think they are doing quite well, and would be doing better if McDonell would return WITH interest the money he took while "balancing" the budget. Just like congress does with Social Security...they claim it will be broke, but forget to say the reason why...all the IOU's from money taken out of SS for the federal general fund. Pay it back with interest and the SS will be self sustaining.

VRS Experiences 19.1 Percent Return for 2011

RICHMOND, VA, August 24, 2011—The Virginia Retirement System (VRS) experienced a 19.1 percent return (net return) on its investment portfolio for fiscal year 2011, ending the year with $54.6 billion in assets.

"We are pleased with last year's results, especially in light of steps taken in recent years to better diversify the fund. On a risk-adjusted basis, last year's performance was outstanding," said VRS Chief Investment Officer Charles W. Grant.

During fiscal year 2011, the fund's public equity program returned 27.2 percent and the real estate program returned 23.2 percent. The private equity program returned 17.6 percent and the credit strategies program returned 14.7 percent, while fixed income returned 5.8 percent.

The portfolio included $25.9 billion in public equity, $10.9 billion in fixed income, $7.7 billion in credit strategies, $4.8 billion in private equity and $3.7 billion in real estate, as of June 30, 2011.

Posted by: Blue Va? ()
Date: May 30, 2012 09:46PM

I am tired of my taxes paying for low performing personal. If I don't perform I do not get paid. I am not a stripper. LOL.

Enough. Just showing up is not the answer anymore. I want an audit of the FCPS. We would be stupid not to ask for one. I want Jack to be held accountable. I want the past SB to show me where our tax money went.

I am blue and sad for the future of our schools.

Posted by: accountants ()
Date: May 30, 2012 09:57PM

any accountants or attorneys out there? does anyone know how FCPS can get away without an audit? isn't it written into some IRS or other tax code?

Posted by: Jumping in Because I have Nothing to Do Tonight ()
Date: May 30, 2012 10:14PM

to Simple Answer will do Wrote:
> Unfortunately, simple answers won't do.

Yes, simple answers would do, if Dale and company were honest and forthcoming. Several of the new board members were surprised when they were told that the multi-million dollar budget staff could not drill down each budget line to see where the money was actually spent. If I said that about the programs I manage I would be fired on the spot.

>
> ---Who has asked where the “staffing reserve
> funds” were used?

Our representatives on the school board.

> ---If someone did ask, what was the answer?

The answer was that Gatehouse can not explain how the money was spent.

> ---Who are the irate parents and how many are
> there?

No clue how many, but they include the the parents whose kids are in elementary classes with 35 students, and those who were told that with over 30 in a class their principal could only hire an additional 0.1 teacher.

>
> ---Don’t know what could be made available.

You can assume that if general accounting principals are followed by these highly-paid budgeteers that each expenditure would be logged against a budget line. Maybe they can download the data into QuickBooks and produce a spending report.

> Sounds like this data was not tracked but did not
> read that it wasn't retrievable. Has anyone asked
> for it to be retrieved rather than what has been
> tracked?

Yes, the school board asked specifically, where did this money go?

> ---No, not irrational to ask where the money went.
> Did someone ask? What was the answer?

Yes, the school board asked. The Gatehouse answer was "We don't know." It's buried in a 200+ page response document that is available on web if you want to look.

> ---Ask the question, get the answer, and then
> arrive at conclusions. Sounds like the conclusions
> have been made so "the facts" are being manipulated
> to support them.

It would be nice to have facts to manipulate. Since we don't, where the money went can only be guessed.

> ---Did anyone ask why “historical data” was
> not being kept?

Hmmm, good question. I don't know whether that was asked. Would have to check the 200+ pages of answers. If the board had their own auditor the question of why Gatehouse can not track spending certainly would have been asked.

>
> ---Not an answerable question in the way it was
> presented. There are lots of people not FCPS and
> not asking for data.

I agree. Maybe too many people not asking for information. But that's the society in which we choose to live.

> ---It looks like lots of charges are being levied
> without substantiation or challenge. I would like
> to challenge them and ask people to show evidence,
> but I am afraid doing so will negatively affect my
> kids.

I agree. Gatehouse has a long memory and those who rock the apple cart are shunned.

> ---I would speak up in public, but I have kids in
> school. If I do, I am afraid they will be targeted
> and my family maligned. It is safer to stay
> silent for now. Maybe when my kids are grown and
> gone.

Yup, it has happened before so your fears have merit. Unfortunately, once their kids are grown most parents lose interest in FCPS budgets. Maybe you will be different.

>
> > “These people" are the same ones who invest
> hundreds of hours to ensure that the 2.3 billion
> dollars get to the teachers and children. They are
> the ones protecting your kids.

I would appreciate if each of them worked 2,000 hours a year to accomplish this task. I wonder whether they even recognize that the teachers are complaining that so much money is wasted.

>
> ---If you say so. Maybe you are right, or maybe
> “these people” are the ones who are working to
> have the money serve their own agendas. Does not
> mean they are protecting your kids or my kids or
> getting resources to the classroom.

You mean, by creating unwanted expensive time-wasting programs to justify their own job? Such a cynical thought. Unfortunately, not only is it true, but they joke about it at Gatehouse. If there were rewards for identifying waste and abuse, some employees would receive quite a bonus.

The squeaky
> wheel always gets the oil. Maybe this wheel is not
> the problem, most deserving of attention, or in
> immediate need of oil. Maybe other wheels are
> about to fall off but do not squeak. They could
> ultimately bring the whole vehicle down, but the
> people in charge don't pay attention because they
> have diverted their attention and resources to the
> squeaky wheel. The noise is finally quashed, but
> the vehicle collapses and maybe even all inside
> perish. At least the squeaky wheel squeaks no
> more. Problem solved. Everyone gets reelected.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel is replaced. Costs more than a repair, but just as effective at stopping the noise. And sometimes the background noise is increased so that the squeaky wheel is no longer heard. And sometimes there are so many squeaky wheels that they are all ignored, hoping that they will stop squeaking, which some do.

Anyway, enough stupid analogies for this one post. Let's see what else is happening on FU tonight. I wonder where I can get a good pizza. That really nice cafeteria at Gatehouse closes early.

Re: Make VRS Solvent???
Posted by: OMG!!! ()
Date: May 30, 2012 10:21PM

hands off VRS Wrote:
> I think they are doing quite well, and would be
> doing better if McDonell would return WITH
> interest the money he took while "balancing" the
> budget.

He is. That is clear and not disputed by anyone.

Just like congress does with Social
> Security...

Ha ha ha ha ha. No, Congress will not. Yes, they broke SS and do not have the guts right now to fix it.

>
>
> VRS Experiences 19.1 Percent Return for 2011
>
>
> During fiscal year 2011, the fund's public equity
> program returned 27.2 percent and the real estate
> program returned 23.2 percent. The private equity
> program returned 17.6 percent and the credit
> strategies program returned 14.7 percent, while
> fixed income returned 5.8 percent.
>
> The portfolio included $25.9 billion in public
> equity, $10.9 billion in fixed income, $7.7
> billion in credit strategies, $4.8 billion in
> private equity and $3.7 billion in real estate, as
> of June 30, 2011.

OMG!!!! VRS is allowed to invest in PRIVATE EQUITY and REAL ESTATE???? The President of the United State told me that was too risky even for private investors. How can VRS justify making wise investments in the private sector? Shame.

Posted by: Not an Accountant But I Pay a Few ()
Date: May 30, 2012 10:25PM

accountants Wrote:
> any accountants or attorneys out there? does
> anyone know how FCPS can get away without an
> audit? isn't it written into some IRS or other
> tax code?

Gatehouse audits itself to meet Federal and State requirements that come with receiving State and Federal money.

The BoS would like the School Board to hire their own auditor, similar to the way the BoS hires an auditor to ask questions and verify county staff spending and whether their programs are providing the intended returns.

Posted by: Where is the question? ()
Date: May 31, 2012 05:59AM

Jumping in Because I have Nothing to Do Tonight Wrote:
> to Simple Answer will do Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Unfortunately, simple answers won't do.
>
> Yes, simple answers would do, if Dale and company
> were honest and forthcoming. Several of the new
> board members were surprised when they were told
> that the multi-million dollar budget staff could
> not drill down each budget line to see where the
> money was actually spent. If I said that about the
> programs I manage I would be fired on the spot.

> ---No, not irrational to ask where the money went. Did someone ask? What was the answer?

>Yes, the school board asked. The Gatehouse answer was "We don't know." It's buried in a 200+ page response document that is available on web if you want to look.

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/files/8URJE74C7961/$file/FY2013Responses%20for%20Posting5-29-12.pdf

I went to the 200+ pages of responses you talked about. Had to search a while to find them so I included the link above. I don’t see anyone asking where the money went in years past. I see two questions asking what the money is used for and if the spending is considered “discretionary” and could be used to increase salaries instead. Here are the two questions and answers.

Q (Hynes). The FY 2013 Proposed Budget includes funding of $2.0 million to increase the staffing reserve to address class size. Please provide details about how that money would be allocated and why 26 positions were included.

January 31 answer
Annually, the staffing reserve budget includes teacher and instructional assistant positions as a contingency for staffing requirements identified before the school year begins (August) and through the month of January. Typically, the staffing reserve has been used to increase classroom positions at schools when enrollment exceeds projection, address unique special education circumstances, and help reduce/eliminate combination classes at the elementary school level. The FY 2013 Proposed Budget includes funding of $2.0 million for 26.0 additional teacher positions that will be utilized to reduce the number of large classes (30+ students per teacher) operating across the school system. Positions will be allocated during normally scheduled staffing meetings and the majority of general education adjustments come in the months of August and September. During budget development, a target of $2.0 million was established and is sufficient to fund 26.0 teacher positions. This number of teacher positions is an estimate of the number needed based on past experience.

Q (Schultz). Since these are discretionary funds (reserve), can the School Board use “discretion” to direct use… for salaries as it elects?

May 7 answer
The FY 2013 Advertised Budget includes teacher staffing reserve funding of $10.9 million which reflects an increase of $1.5 million. This increase is the result of funding added to the teacher staffing reserve in the FY 2013 budget specifically to mitigate large class sizes, as well as a two percent market scale adjustment. The teacher staffing reserve is used to fund additional teacher positions allocated to 210 schools based on membership growth and demographic changes above projections and, in the case of the funding added in FY 2013, specifically to address large class sizes. In FY 2012 all of the positions in the staffing reserve were distributed to schools to accommodate school staffing needs. Because this reserve is used each year to support school staffing needs, the staffing reserve is not considered discretionary funding.

Posted by: would like ()
Date: May 31, 2012 02:25PM

Not an Accountant But I Pay a Few Wrote:
> accountants Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > any accountants or attorneys out there? does
> > anyone know how FCPS can get away without an
> > audit? isn't it written into some IRS or other
> > tax code?
>
>
> Gatehouse audits itself to meet Federal and State
> requirements that come with receiving State and
> Federal money.
>
> The BoS would like the School Board to hire their
> own auditor, similar to the way the BoS hires an
> auditor to ask questions and verify county staff
> spending and whether their programs are providing
> the intended returns.

The BOS "would like" the School Board to hire an auditor. How about the BOS grows some kahoonies and demands that the School Board hire the auditor before the 2.3 billion dollars are handed over each year. What is wrong with the general public? No one in their right mind would pay anyone 2 billion dollars without an itemized invoice. The State statute allows the local school system to run amuck as long as they pass the audit. The BOS allows the local school system to run amuck because they are too dumb to understand the gravity of this situation and because they ... don't know ... are afraid of the School Board? The School Board allows the local school system to run amuck because no one makes them accountable!!!!! We are talking about over 50% of the entire County tax fund and no one/nothing/no governing body has jurisdiction and the dumbasses handing over the money stand around the circle to watch the abuse but don't step in to stop it? What happened to a system of checks and balances? If there is nothing to hide, and they are the top notch school district, and they have all the geniuses working at Gatehouse, WHY can't anyone produce a proper budget? I'm sure the 2.3 billion dollars has enough cushion to purchase a Quicken program from Walmart.

Posted by: school ()
Date: June 23, 2012 09:47AM

who cares

Posted by: board watcher ()
Date: June 23, 2012 11:12AM

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/files/8VHMEA5A9478/$file/Speakers'%20Testimonies.pdf

please read page 13--Kim Farrell's testimony. She has FOIA emails attached, as well.

This was a contract for $49,999 ($50,000 is the limit for sole source, I think) which was given to ARCASUN. ARCASUN is Shaista Keating's company. Keating was a Strauss supporter who was paid by Chairman of the School Board, Strauss for campaign help.

This is why we need an outside auditor.

I would like an explanation. I think it smells.

Question: Why isn't this in our newspapers?

Posted by: nothing better to do than troll ()
Date: June 23, 2012 11:19AM

board watcher Wrote:
> http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/fi
> les/8VHMEA5A9478/$file/Speakers'%20Testimonies.pdf
>
>
> please read page 13--Kim Farrell's testimony. She
> has FOIA emails attached, as well.
>
> This was a contract for $49,999 ($50,000 is the
> limit for sole source, I think) which was given to
> ARCASUN. ARCASUN is Shaista Keating's company.
> Keating was a Strauss supporter who was paid by
> Chairman of the School Board, Strauss for campaign
> help.
>
> This is why we need an outside auditor.
>
> I would like an explanation. I think it smells.
>
> Question: Why isn't this in our newspapers?

These people have got to get a life.

Posted by: I have a question ()
Date: June 23, 2012 01:22PM

What is the $49,999 for? I read it and still can't come up with an answer that makes sense. Is this for advice? a written report? training?

Seems to me that is what we pay all the "experts" in Gatehouse. But, I guess their job is just to "let contracts"........

$49,999 for four months? Did she send a resume with the bid?

We really do need an auditor. This is what our taxes are going for?
Wouldn't another teacher be more productive. A first year teacher works a year for that amount of money.

Posted by: tiresome ()
Date: June 24, 2012 09:19AM

Another example of a small group of disgruntled people talking to a small group of disgruntled people. The tail is trying to wag the dog.

Posted by: put them to bed ()
Date: June 24, 2012 10:06AM

The new School Board voted to add $600,000 worth of support staff for themselves. These are the same people who when running said they wanted to cut staff.

ENOUGH SAID---well done Reed, McLaughlin, Schultz, Evans and others. Are Reed and Schultz Rs? If so, wonder if their "party" knows they spend like the Ds?

If they spend like the Ds, vote with the Ds, then they must be a D.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.