HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Unsolicited delivery of Washington Examiner
Posted by: question1 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:17AM

I am so sick and tired of the unsolicited delivery of 'free' Washington Examiner newspapers. This paper company has been dropping unwanted newspapers onto my lawn for at least the past 3 years, despite at least a dozen requests from me over the years for them to stop. I am at my wits' end. I have pleaded with them to stop, filed reports with the BBB, even threatened to file a police report if they continue, and still the papers show up on my lawn. Has anyone had any success in stopping this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unsolicited delivery of Washington Examiner
Posted by: litterbug ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:55AM

question1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone had any success in stopping this?

I haven't received that paper for quite some time so think I may have had that success.

The problem from my angle wasn't the delivery of the paper to my house/driveway; the FFX Times gets delivered the same way.

No, the problem I had was how the delivery was made to the pipestem-driveway houses near my house - instead of entering the pipestem and throwing the papers on the individual driveways the delivery was "made" by tossing half a dozen papers "near" the mailboxes on the main street - "near" means anywhere within, say, 10 feet of a mailbox. Because no pipestem homeowner has any clue whatsoever which paper was "theirs" and which was their neighbors', none of them picked up the newspapers; often more than one issue was left laying there.

I took some photos of the littering and forwarded a nastygram to the homeowner's association and to the circulation manager of a couple papers, the Examiner included. I may have done this twice due to lack of effect. The FFX Times is now delivered (usually, not always) to the individual driveways and I haven't seen the Examiner for awhile - I don't know if it's delivered around here right now.
Attachments:
litter.JPG

Posted by: Could be ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:03AM

The Examiner doesn't have anyone to deliver the paper in your area anymore

Posted by: BoredGeorge ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:36AM

I had the same problem. I called them repeatedly telling them I didn't want the paper, but still it continued.

Then it finally stopped. It seems as if the delivery person marks addresses that don't want the paper with a round fluorescent yellow sticker about the size of a quarter. A lot of times they are on the curb near the house number.

In my case, they nailed it to a tree near my driveway. Apparently they like to kill trees one way or another.

I'm not sure where you can get a sticker like that, but it might be your best bet.

Posted by: Confused about the News ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:41AM

I have the opposite problem. I have contacted the Examiner two times asking to have the paper delivered to my house and to no avail. Yet, I see it delivered to many of my neighbors houses! Last October, we cancelled the Washington Post. Yet, here it is almost June and we are still getting it daily. What's up with newspapers these days!!

Posted by: doop ()
Date: May 24, 2012 10:11AM

What you don't like free enterprise?

These publications operate on a shoestring anyway, so you want them to hire delivery people that are smart enough to check a master list and go---OK this house wants a paper, this house doesn't, and so on?

Ain't gonna happen. Life in the big city.

Date: May 24, 2012 10:35AM

As opposed to soliciting the "Washington Examiner."

newspaper%20dress%2040.00.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: May 24, 2012 02:41PM

I had this go on with the Washington Post in Burke. I had a copy randomly delivered at least once a week and sometimes more. Because I traveled a lot, it was an issue for me at the time.

After several comedic phone calls to the paper (along the lines of "I want to stop delivery because I'm not a subscriber - OK what is your address we don't have you in the system! - Because I'M NOT A SUBSCRIBER!") I finally got a hold of the supervisor for the local delivery people. After talking to him twice, nothing happened.

I had to sit on my step and stalk the delivery people at 6am and tell the guy who tosses the paper directly to quit it. He argued that it was free! I told him to stop anyway. He seemed upset that I did not want the free "sampling." It finally stopped.

Posted by: ccc ()
Date: May 24, 2012 04:47PM

At least the examiner is a better paper than the Wa Po.

Posted by: Gonzo ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:18PM

I've been dealing with this on and off for the past 5 years or so too. The last two times they started delivering it, I filled out the "stop delivery" form on their website and it seems to have actually worked. Unfortunately that only lasts for a few months. Your guess is as good as mine.

Posted by: Raised in Fairfax Since 1967 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:32PM

I see that photo of the papers near the mailboxes, and all I can think of is how disgusting those homeowners are.

Posted by: end of the pipestem ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:36PM

I also live at the top of a pipestem which means I am lucky enough to get a mountain of these papers thrown all over my driveway. Its always up to me to pick them up and throw them in the recycle containers. My neighbors want nothing to do with the papers and are more than happy to have me pick them up, who can blame them.

I sometimes wish I knew where the owners of these papers lived. I would collect about a months worth and toss them on their lawn, see how they like it.

Posted by: William Randolph Hearst ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:52PM

In 6 months this will no longer be a problem because there will be no print editions of newspapers anymore...

Posted by: Tom_Mason ()
Date: June 08, 2012 01:46PM

Technically, throwing unsolicited newspapers onto your property is a trespass once you've requested them to stop. However, the jeks at the Ffx County prosecutor's office won't do anything about it. They've concocted a fairly unconvincing reason for this, but the bottom line is they don't want the hassle. If you can't get the Examiner to leave you alone, the nuclear option is to take them to the Circuit (not District) Court and apply for an injunction. That takes time, money and a little expertise. I was about to go that route when the clown who supervises delivery of that rag finally figured out I wasn't kidding and stopped the deliveries.

The only other feasible option is to get together a block of your neighbors who feel the same way you do and send the Examiner a letter ordering them to stop their deliveries. By creating a larger "no go" area, you make it easier for their illiterate delivery people to identify where they shouldn't dump their trash. The problem with this is that there's usually at least one dweeb who just loves receiving this rag and that increases the chances of other neighbors getting one too.

I hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 01:48PM by Tom_Mason.

Posted by: Cul-de-sac ()
Date: June 08, 2012 02:22PM

end of the pipestem Wrote:
> I also live at the top of a pipestem which means I
> am lucky enough to get a mountain of these papers
> thrown all over my driveway. Its always up to me
> to pick them up and throw them in the recycle
> containers. My neighbors want nothing to do with
> the papers and are more than happy to have me pick
> them up, who can blame them.
>
> I sometimes wish I knew where the owners of these
> papers lived. I would collect about a months worth
> and toss them on their lawn, see how they like it.

Pipestem? Mother fucker drops pipestem all the fuck up in here?!?!? Welcome to the South you carpetbagging fucking Yankee...the shit's called a court up in this bitch, not a pipestem fucktard! Christ...

Posted by: unitacx ()
Date: June 12, 2012 02:37PM

One problem is the typical excuses (e.g., "new delivery person or service", "developing a new system for addressing these complaints", "hadn't been brought this to the attention of the manager", and "the citizen hadn't talked to the right person".) Basically, requests to "please, please stop" fall into non-responsive trashcans.

While Alexandria has adopted their own version of Alexandria's Model Newspaper Delivery Law (:, almost all jurisdictions have littering and dumping laws. (Well, maybe not Fairfax, judging from the trash signs along Fairfax' roads.) The problem is that the citizen must prove they made the request.

The best approach is to send a certified letter asking them to stop. The Examiner is set up to provide a tracking number for a permanent "stop delivery" request, even if the address is not in Alexandria, and may be willing to do so. They do keep those tracking numbers permanently because they are able to look these up for subsequent requests to stop.

Re: "pipestem"
Date: June 12, 2012 02:57PM

Cul-de-sac Wrote:
>
> Pipestem? ... drops pipestem all the * up in here?!?!?
> Welcome to the South ... called a court up

"Court" is a general term. "Cul-de-sac" is sometimes used, but actually refers to the turnabout area at the end. More to the point, a "cul-de-sac" or a "cul-de-sac street" is different from a pipestem. As nearly as I can tell, "pipestem" refers to a shared driveway rather than a public street.

A brief search of "pipestem" suggests that you are correct, that it is regional. The first few local hits showed that the term is used in such New England areas as "Burke" (must be Burke, Vermont), "Springfield" (which is in Massachusetts unless your name is Bart or Homer), "Fairfax County" (must be part of Los Angeles, because Fairfax is near Westwood). I lived on one in Boise and never heard it called a "pipestem".

Posted by: Guy Smiley ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:36AM

it's a right wing tabloid. no way in hell they're gonna let you stop them from delivering. they get paid to push that trash to as many people as possible

Posted by: djp ()
Date: August 23, 2012 04:01PM

guy who runs that shit show is davis kennedy.

Ive called and asked him to stop, cussed him out, and even collected trashbags of papers and dumped them at his front door of the examiner office!

Can someone post this pricks home address?

If you can i will collect and dump as many bags of this bullshit and dump it at his home to see how he likes it. I will even post pics as proof.

Posted by: they suck ()
Date: August 23, 2012 08:43PM

Put a green glow in the dark sticker on your mail box little circle one.
that seems to do the trick. thats what they put on mine after two years of complaining

Posted by: i miss it ()
Date: August 23, 2012 08:55PM

every tuesday and sunday it would come.

couldnt care less about it's commentary or political slant, i just liked the X-word, sudoko, and kakuro puzzles. gave me entertainment while taking my routine morning dump those days.

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:06PM

Man, if someone can tell me a fool-proof way to keep the Fairfax one from chronically littering my lawn I'll pay you $100!!

Posted by: Make it stop ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:33PM

http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/CountyManager/ConstituentServices/page62815.aspx

also

http://intranet.dcexaminer.com/examinerintranet/stopdeliveryreq.cfm

with the 2nd link you can request a callback - I did this and got a call within 3 business days, and there has been no more litter on my lawn since that week

Posted by: make it stop ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:38PM

just shoot the poor illeagle alien who dropps it 0n ur yard senior'

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:44PM

weird-funny-funny.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 07:23AM by WingNut.

Date: August 24, 2012 10:51PM

I DID IT!!! (pays $100 to myself)

I found the subscription manager for Fairfax Times and emailed them directly:

------------------

Pearson, Mary Ellen mpearson@fairfaxtimes.com
9:21 AM (13 hours ago)

to me, Donna
Dear Sir:

We are in receipt of your request to stop delivery of the Fairfax County Times. I will input your initial request into our database, notify the carrier, and will check with you on Friday, August 31st to confirm non-delivery.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mary Ellen Pearson
Customer Service Representative
The Fairfax County Times
1920 Association Drive
Fifth Floor
Reston, VA 20191
571-323-6203
mpearson@fairfaxtimes.com
www.fairfaxtimes.com

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:40 PM
To: Stone, Donna
Cc: Pearson, Mary Ellen
Subject: Lawn Litter

Hello,

Can you please tell me how to keep the Fairfax Times from being delivered to my home? Your unsolicited paper is chronically littering my lawn.

Thanks so much,

[me]

Date: March 14, 2013 06:54PM

Alexandria's "Model Newspaper Delivery Law" imposed several requirements, including a tracking system. This doesn't apply to Fairfax, but you still may be able to obtain a tracking number for a "please stop" request. Descriptions are at http://bit.ly/dogshitdisposalkits or http://tinyurl.com/dogshitdisposalkits or by searching "Alexandria Model Newspaper Delivery Law" (preferably with the quotes).

Posted by: Neither R nor D ()
Date: March 14, 2013 07:22PM

I don;t guet why when conservatives express their opinion liberals go ape and name call but conservatives by and large allow liberals their say. if you fear the opposition and not want anyone to hear them, you must not believe your position has merit. If you listen politely to those you disagree with, you might learn from it and change your opinion or be more certain of it. Open your minds!

Date: March 14, 2013 07:29PM

Neither R nor D Wrote:
> I don;t guet why when conservatives express their
> opinion liberals go ape and name call but
> conservatives by and large allow liberals their
> say. if you fear the opposition and not want
> anyone to hear them, you must not believe your
> position has merit. If you listen politely to
> those you disagree with, you might learn from it
> and change your opinion or be more certain of it.
> Open your minds!

What the heck are you rambling on about?! This post is about getting rid of an unsolicited newspaper. You are now officially "that guy" who turns every friggen topic into a political debate for no reason.

And now back on topic... Didn't even last two weeks; already getting he stupid paper again. How is this not littering??

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: March 15, 2013 07:55AM

Enigma -- been through that several times. The stop delivery lasts until the delivery guy quits and they hire a new one. Probably every 2 months on average. Then you start over from the beginning.

It's pretty much live with it, take the time/expense to go to court, or go rambo and kick somebody's ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 07:55AM by Curmudgeon.

Posted by: Buck Jones ()
Date: March 15, 2013 08:07AM

I get sometimes three different ones a day and since I live at the top of a pipestem I get others as well. Doesnt matter if it is raining they will throw them all into one large wet pile. The county says there is no law to help me and was told I should contact each one. Why should it be up to me to stop people from throwing unwanted papers and landscape offers on my property. They want it to get to me then pay for the post office to deliver it.

One day I am going to prganize all the residents who are fed up with this and collect a thousand of those papers dropping them off at the editors home. See how he/she likes it.

Posted by: Jonas ()
Date: March 15, 2013 12:12PM

Pipestem? Where I come from we call them a "fuckhole"-I believe it is Native American or something.

Posted by: Donald Graham ()
Date: March 15, 2013 12:30PM

What is the difference between throwing litter or an unsolicited newspaper on someone's driveway? I've called WaPo multiple times trying to get them to stop throwing their ad-inserts (I don't get the newspaper) on my driveway. No success. At least the Examiner is a newspaper that you can read (assuming you're not a leftwing zealot). The WaPo ads are just garbage.

Posted by: Both R and D ()
Date: March 15, 2013 12:46PM

Neither R nor D Wrote:
> I don;t guet why when conservatives express their
> opinion liberals go ape and name call but
> conservatives by and large allow liberals their
> say. if you fear the opposition and not want
> anyone to hear them, you must not believe your
> position has merit. If you listen politely to
> those you disagree with, you might learn from it
> and change your opinion or be more certain of it.
> Open your minds!

go eat a crunchy turd you penis wrangler

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: March 20, 2013 10:55PM

Well this'll solve the problem:
The Washington Examiner to Shutter Daily Newspaper in June

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130319006288/en/Washington-Examiner-Shifts-Business-Model-Daily-Newspaper

Date: March 20, 2013 11:41PM

Doesn't help me any with this Fairfax Times crap.

Posted by: Don Graham ()
Date: March 21, 2013 07:30AM

Can't wait for the WaPo, aka Potomac Pravda, to go under.

Posted by: JohnnyTooBad ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:41AM

I've thought of taking the contents of my garbage can and driving to their place of business dropping it at their doorstep, and letting them clean up the mess.

It is pretty much the same as their business plan... unwanted garbage at your doorstep.

Posted by: Two Birds ()
Date: March 22, 2013 12:17PM

JohnnyTooBad Wrote:
> I've thought of taking the contents of my garbage
> can and driving to their place of business
> dropping it at their doorstep, and letting them
> clean up the mess.
>
> It is pretty much the same as their business
> plan... unwanted garbage at your doorstep.

Combine this thought with the thread on Fairfax public bathrooms, and you're on to something. Perhaps a weekly toss from your vehicle to the front doors of the Post with a bag of poop would get the message across (the Examiner is going under, so no fun there).

Posted by: Stan P. ()
Date: April 21, 2013 12:49PM

Alexandria seems to have solved the problem with their "Model Newspaper Delivery Ordinance" http://www.scn.org/~bk269/alexandria_code_9-14.html Rumor has it that Examiner is discontinuing print delivery to Alexandria in June, 2013.

Posted by: Happy_home_owner ()
Date: April 21, 2013 01:16PM

Enigma Wrote:
> Man, if someone can tell me a fool-proof way to
> keep the Fairfax one from chronically littering my
> lawn I'll pay you $100!!

The solution is very simple and logical. These papers survive based on advertising. So, send their advertisers a letter saying you won't but their products any more with a "cc" going to the paper. It only takes a couple of these letters and it has worked for me every time.

Posted by: david nash ()
Date: April 21, 2013 01:22PM

Its not only the Examiner, I can get all kinds of papers and offer on a daily basis. One prick taped an offer to my front door screwing up the paint job when I pulled it off. It would be so easy to have a county law to require any newspapers or solicitations be required to come through the U S mail. That would put an end to 99% of this crap.

Posted by: If it's free ()
Date: April 21, 2013 03:15PM

Read it or recycle it. Whats's the big deal. Do you solicit tv commercials?
If you buy shit you will receive shit.

Posted by: yes ()
Date: April 21, 2013 04:23PM

if you pay for tv then you're by definition soliciting the commercials

Posted by: bad news ()
Date: April 21, 2013 04:34PM

If it's free Wrote:
> Read it or recycle it. Whats's the big deal. Do
> you solicit tv commercials?
> If you buy shit you will receive shit.

So far no one has thrown a tv commercial onto my front yard in the pouring rain. The people who do this dont bother to put the papers or fliers on each driveway if it is in a cul de sac or pipestem. They just throw a pile onto the first house they come to. If it was one paper every so often I wouldnt be on here but often it is at least two a day and lots of fliers for home services. Most are not wrapped so if its rained it is just a soggy mess of paper. I dont want their papers or fliers and dont understand why it is up to me to ask them to stop. You can be sure if I collected a years worth of The Examiners and threw them onto the editors front yard I would be arrested.

Posted by: Newsstand Boy ()
Date: April 21, 2013 05:25PM

Stan P. Wrote:
> Alexandria seems to have solved the problem with
> their "Model Newspaper Delivery Ordinance"
> http://www.scn.org/~bk269/alexandria_code_9-14.htm
> l Rumor has it that Examiner is discontinuing
> print delivery to Alexandria in June, 2013.

LMAO.

The Washington Examiner is stopping publication as a newspaper and is switching to a restricted circulation weekly magazine format on June 17.

No more litter very soon for everyone - not just Alexandria.

Posted by: Tom_Mason ()
Date: April 21, 2013 05:54PM

'What is the difference between throwing litter or an unsolicited newspaper on someone's driveway? I've called WaPo multiple times trying to get them to stop throwing their ad-inserts (I don't get the newspaper) on my driveway. No success."

Mr. Graham; The guy you should contact about that is;

Gregg Fernandes
Vice President, Circulation
202-334-5414
fernandesgj@washpost.com

And stay on him until your problem gets resolved. The only other option is to take the Post to the FairfaX Circuit Court to obtain an injunction. Alexandria has an ordinace governing the distribution of this sort of stuff but the Fairfax Supervisors are too lazy and indifferent to follow suit. I broached this with the incredibly incompetent Penny Gross a few years ago and she could have cared less.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: April 23, 2013 06:04PM

They. Don't. Fucking. Listen.

Maintaining a list of paying customers is one thing. Keeping a list of opt-outs on litter is another. It is a shit job and driver turnover (and carelessness) causes the litter to be dropped everywhere.

I wish all of them would go out of business like the examiner. Good fucking riddance.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.