HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is it unlawful to reprimand an employee for requesting a meeting with HR?
Posted by: Disgruntled ()
Date: May 18, 2012 10:05PM

I know, Virginia is a "Right to Work" state and all, but if an employee requests a meeting with HR to air grievances, and instead is reprimanded, does that constitue retalitory behaviour?

I know Fairfax is crawling with lawyers............

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it unlawful to reprimand an employee for requesting a meeting with HR?
Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 18, 2012 11:16PM

I'd say yes. That constitutes harassment and creating a hostile work environment.

What industry?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: You Disgruntled? ()
Date: May 19, 2012 09:30AM

Just let the guy air it out with HR, HR is on the side of management anyways as long as you're not doing anything illegal you should be fine. But from the OP you sound like a dick for even considering such an action against your employee, so it seems like this guy might have a case.

I would just suggest if you can't work with the guy just start building up a case document everything and if the person is a non exmept employee/at will just fire em.

Posted by: You Disgruntled? ()
Date: May 19, 2012 09:37AM

to the OP you can't get fired for talking to HR but if management get's wind of it they could find some other reason to can you. I would say if you're having these problems just find another job.

BTW to my first post I'm not sure if the OP is a disgruntled manager mad at a suborinate or a disgruntled employee so i'm giving both perspectives.

Posted by: Disgruntled ()
Date: May 19, 2012 09:42AM

I work private-sector IT, and I wanted to discuss additional compensation for the additional responsibilities they were giving me.

I already have a job lined up, just found it curious that I would we reprimanded right after asking HR get involved.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:36AM

You Disgruntled? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just let the guy air it out with HR, HR is on the
> side of management anyways

This. I have never worked anywhere where this wasn't the case.

Date: May 19, 2012 01:10PM

I don't think meetings with HR are a right. I also imagine that your employer finds that your constant requests to meet with HR about idiotic things has become a distraction. Quit filing baseless reports about your co-workers and get your ass back to work, or you are going to be shit-canned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: what is ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:31PM

You Disgruntled? Wrote:
> to the OP you can't get fired for talking to HR
> but if management get's wind of it they could find
> some other reason to can you. I would say if
> you're having these problems just find another
> job.
>
> BTW to my first post I'm not sure if the OP is a
> disgruntled manager mad at a suborinate or a
> disgruntled employee so i'm giving both
> perspectives.

what does OP mean?

Posted by: ofc helpless ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:32PM

This is an interesting question. We recently have had lots of problems with turnover where I work. Morale is low and people have been leaving in droves. This is because of very bad management issues that have been present there. The new mgr has only military experience (officer level) but has never had to do grunt work. The position they gave him usually requires several years of different types of management (personnel, scheduling, etc). This is his first job outside of the military. Off the bat this guy changed everyone's schedules including those with daycare situations, and put them into time slots they couldn't work usually due to school or said daycare. I guess abouts 20 people have left since the beginning of 2012. So's HR had a meeting to find out why. I heard rumors that management was not supposed to be there, just an HR guy. Turns out it was the HR guy and the District mgr were there and plus theres was supervisors in the room. i'm guessing the distric mgr told management about the meet cuz nows i am hearing rumors bout people being singled out and put on shit assignments.

is it legal to have someone from management at an HR function? (oh i forgot to mention that there were three meetings each with a group of poeple not one on one).

Posted by: HR 101 ()
Date: May 19, 2012 04:28PM

Rule #1: HR works for management to protect the company from the employees.

Rule #2: If you ever have trouble deciding what to do, remember rule #1.

Posted by: @Disgruntled ()
Date: May 19, 2012 04:31PM

It sounds like you may have talked to your supervisor about a salary increase to compensate for additional work. And the supervisor declined your request. So you went to HR to complain.

If you didn't go to your supervisor before going to HR, then you are an insubordinate idiot.

If you did first go to your supervisor and didn't like the response that you got, then you still sound insubordinate by going to HR - who will inevitably side with management.

It's a good thing you have another job offer, cause you're probably gonna need it.

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: May 19, 2012 06:07PM

I've never had a problem requesting additional compensation as long as I can back up what I'm asking for. First time I did it I pulled the help desk stats for calls taken and resolved, went to my boss with data showing I was answering twice as many calls and closing all of them within 24 hours. That got me a 10% raise and a new position were I no longer had to deal with the customers. I've asked for and received multiple raises and promotions since then. If you're actually performing at your job and taking on additional responsibilities you can usually justify the raise. Most people think they are entitled to more money when they don't put forth the effort required to obtain it.

Posted by: ofc helpless ()
Date: May 20, 2012 06:20AM

ive worked at the same job for 3 years and have yet to get any kind of raise or bonus. my evals are all good but no money? SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!!!!

Posted by: Check the policies ()
Date: May 20, 2012 09:02AM

My only suggestion is to check the company's policies on HR and any sort of "open door" policy they may have regarding employee complaints/concerns. They may also have a policy against retaliation for this sort of thing.

If you were to be terminated and can show the company failed to follow their own written policies, then you may have a story an attorney would be interested in hearing. "Right to work" or not.

I'm just gonna repost this one cause it's GOSPEL - Learn it and LEARN IT WELL
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 20, 2012 02:58PM

HR 101 Wrote:
> Rule #1: HR works for management to protect the
> company from the employees.
>
> Rule #2: If you ever have trouble deciding what to
> do, remember rule #1.

if you only ever listen to just ONE thing you read on the internet...........THIS IS IT!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.