HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mow my medians, for the love of god
Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:12AM

For being one of the wealthiest, most important counties in the nation, we shure have sucked at mowing our medians and shoulders. Seriously. Braddock Road looks like a friggin jungle.

Dose anybody know why we ever stopped mowing our common areas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mow my medians, for the love of god
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:16AM

These people need a dose of sense, maybe several doses.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:21AM

the county can hire goats

Posted by: Gojbass! ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:52AM

+1 jbass! I've been saying this for years. Our county does not appear upscale nor wealthy on any given day. Driving through it looks very middle class and often rundown. I appreciate the parks and good schools, where most of the money seems to go, but there's something to be said for taking pride in the overall upkeep of an area. Roads arenin poor condition, trees are overgrown and out of control, shopping centers are rundown, parking lots are old, medians unkempt, and on and on.

Maybe it's the prioritizing of the county funds, but I'd like to see more efforts go into maintaing and up keeping our roads and public space.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:03AM

The mowing of the roads is a VDOT responsibility - not a county responsibility. VDOT's budget only allows for two mowings every year. They usually get out by the end of may for the first one, and do another in late August.

I've complained about this constantly, as Braddock, 123 and other areas are just nasty and it's a public safety issue when you can't see around the grass.

The county tries to get out and do some areas despite the fact that it's not their jurisdiction, but they can't do everywhere. I gave Transportation Security Sean Connaughton a hard time about this the other day, but they just don't have the budget to do more than twice a year.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:36AM

Gojbass! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Driving through it looks very middle
> class and often rundown.

This makes no sense.

Posted by: centrevillian ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:38AM

Time to put some prison labor, or some lazy ass collecting unemployment out there - that's one way to 'earn' it rather than it being handed out.

Oh wait, they're probably too good for those jobs.

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:49AM

centrevillian Wrote:
> Time to put some prison labor, or some lazy ass
> collecting unemployment out there - that's one way
> to 'earn' it rather than it being handed out.
>
> Oh wait, they're probably too good for those jobs.

Camp 30 closed a long time ago.

After that the state decided instead of using their own personnel and equipment, it would be cheaper to hire contractors. Now they can only pay the contractors twice a year and they miss their targets most of the time at that.

All VDOT employees should be required to drive from here to Florida once a year and see the difference in the highways.

Poorer states are often better taken care of.

Posted by: reality ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:54AM

It really is ridiculous. Not only unsightly, but a hazard since all the curbs/drainage is covered in grass and water then pools on the roadway (let alone ice in the winter).

We really do have crazy people running the General Assembly who can't prioritize anything (see lots of other Posts about what the GA is doing) and see the IMPORTANT things that need done.

The "we won't raise the gas tax (for 30 years) mentality because we can't think past our party-line has pushed us back 50 years in this state (if not more) and we need to start thinking forward not backwards.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:59AM

centrevillian Wrote:
> Time to put some prison labor, or some lazy ass
> collecting unemployment out there - that's one way
> to 'earn' it rather than it being handed out.
>
> Oh wait, they're probably too good for those jobs.

The County does use prisoners to do some of this work even though it's not the County's responsibility, but there aren't enough to hit all of the areas. The County only maintains about 10 miles of roads itself, out of the about 2800-3000 miles of roads in Fairfax.

Posted by: B8 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 02:52PM

Priapus Wrote:
> the county can hire goats

Yes! ;-)

Posted by: where is my money going ()
Date: May 16, 2012 04:10PM

There was little use of road crews for snow this year, why cant they use that money. Burke Lake Rd at Lake Braddock school is a disgrace. Its a good four feet high.

Posted by: billy goat gruff ()
Date: May 16, 2012 04:12PM

Either last year or the year before the county was using inmates to cut the grass. The state gave them a hard time and made them beg permission to do the job the state should be doing in the first place.

Posted by: lesson ()
Date: May 16, 2012 07:15PM

vdot takes nova's money and spends it in other parts of the state.

Posted by: vdot ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:16PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
> All VDOT employees should be required to drive
> from here to Florida once a year and see the
> difference in the highways.
>
> Poorer states are often better taken care of.

Believe me, all VDOT employees are well aware that they work for a shitty State.

What do you propose they do? Mow the medians on their own time, for free?

Do you work for free?

Posted by: 7-11 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:43PM

get the illegal spics to do it.

Date: May 16, 2012 10:14PM

vdot Wrote:
> Vexxxed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All VDOT employees should be required to drive
> > from here to Florida once a year and see the
> > difference in the highways.
> >
> > Poorer states are often better taken care of.
>
>
> Believe me, all VDOT employees are well aware that
> they work for a shitty State.
>
> What do you propose they do? Mow the medians on
> their own time, for free?
>
> Do you work for free?

You really want to go there?

I expect them to pull their heads out of their asses and stop wasting tax dollars while not getting the job done.

When I see four VDOT vehicles parked at the bridge on 29 over 495 and 6 white VDOT helmets on guys talking to one another while "observing" a contractor that consists of two Hispanics, one of which is running a remote control tamper and the other is leaning on a shovel, I don't get a good feeling about how my tax dollars are being spent.

If VDOT and the county had their way, I would be working for free............doing their job. I guess you don't recall the big effort put out last year where the citizens of the county were called upon to MOW THE FUCKING GRASS FOR VDOT, do you? All the sheeple had to do was follow their mowing rules, pick a nice spot that had been neglected and have at it. At their own expense with their own equipment.

I guess I can see your point though. They are stretched thin building toll lanes with our money so they can charge us more money later when we want to drive on them.

How about you simply time the lights on major roadways NOW instead of waiting for the price of gas to go up again and have 7 on your side rat you out?

Maybe you could stop hiring paving contractors from Maryland when there are hundreds of companies here in Virginia that pay taxes in Virginia and can't find work?

How about we find another sound barrier contractor VDOT can pay for at least a year before the actual roadway it's supposed to be built next to, is built?

I could go on...and on. But frankly, VDOT hasn't listened to anyone with any common sense in years. So why bother?

Keep up the good work, fellas. And be sure to keep the county out there fining people for not mowing the grass in their yard. Can't have tall grass anywhere but on a dangerous roadway, right?

Don't bitch to me about not having enough funds until you learn how to use what you have wisely.

Beyond supervising contractors and changing flat tires on interstates, what exactly does VDOT do anymore?

Posted by: Unreals ()
Date: May 17, 2012 01:06AM

Great points, Vexxxed. VDOT is a joke. Whatever they pay the clowns who make the decisions there is too much. A few years ago, when we he had those two big snowstorms, VDOT showed exactly how "valuable" they are. The ONLY VDOT plows I ever saw were driving with the plow UP. They haven't plowed side streets in years, and pretend this was always the policy. As a Fairfax County lifer, I can tell you this is definitely not the case. From the 1960s-1980s, all side streets were plowed. After the blizzards of 2010-2011, and the ridiculous "Snowmageddon," all VDOT officials should have been fired. Their "performance" was disgraceful.

The media will not call VDOT out, either. I watched a local reporter bragging about VDOT during one of those snowstorms, and pointed proudly to a plow truck driving by, which of course had its plow UP, as is standard procedure. The reporter somehow didn't notice this or grasp its significance.

I agree about Lake Braddock/Burke Lake Road. This is again something you never used to see in Fairfax County. I guess their budget used to allow for more than two cuts a year, because things never looked like this. Like everything else in this country, this is the fault of horrific leadership.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: May 17, 2012 07:13AM

Reston is having a major problem with the same thing. Even the Columbia gas pipeline right-of-way looks like a wild field of weeds, and it makes for great Copperhead territory (I know a lady who was recently bitten by one on the path). The weeds were so bad before they mowed them a couple of weeks ago, that some of them had actually become trees. The creeks have also been clogged with weeds and backed up for years now, and Reston hasn't done jack about it.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: jpeg jedi ()
Date: May 17, 2012 07:22AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> Reston is having a major problem with the same
> thing. Even the Columbia gas pipeline right-of-way
> looks like a wild field of weeds, and it makes for
> great Copperhead territory (I know a lady who was
> recently bitten by one on the path). The weeds
> were so bad before they mowed them a couple of
> weeks ago, that some of them had actually become
> trees. The creeks have also been clogged with
> weeds and backed up for years now, and Reston
> hasn't done jack about it.

You would think that an affluent county like Fairfax, with more Fortune 500 companies headquartered within its boundaries than 34 states (10), would be able to afford to alleviate the problem, since VDOT is unable to properly do so.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/fairfax-county-now-has-10-companies-on-fortune-500-list/2012/05/16/gIQAdAoUUU_blog.html

Posted by: lortongal ()
Date: May 17, 2012 07:44AM

ive contacted VDOT about this issue because Lorton's medians are about 3 feet high with weeds, and they told me that they have 3 mowings a summer, one in may that just happened, one in july and the last in august. its really not enough.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 17, 2012 07:53AM

lesson Wrote:
> vdot takes nova's money and spends it in other
> parts of the state.

I can report that most roads around Richmond have been mowed to an acceptable level.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 17, 2012 08:16AM

You would think that an affluent county like Fairfax, with more Fortune 500 companies headquartered within its boundaries than 34 states (10), would have ABLE BODIED OR FINANCIALLY CAPABLE CITIZENS ABLE TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE, AND VOLUNTEER to alleviate the problem, since VDOT is unable to properly do so.....

...........wah, Gordon - I pay taxes so that absolves me of doing anything else but whine about how somebody else wont fix something I identify as a problem

a phone call should magically fix everything LoLz

God, I love y'all sometimes :)

Posted by: How about it? ()
Date: May 17, 2012 08:22AM

Ok, Gordon Blvd, why don't you volunteer to do it.

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> You would think that an affluent county like
> Fairfax, with more Fortune 500 companies
> headquartered within its boundaries than 34 states
> (10), would have ABLE BODIED OR FINANCIALLY
> CAPABLE CITIZENS ABLE TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE, AND
> VOLUNTEER to alleviate the problem, since VDOT is
> unable to properly do so.....
>
> ...........wah, Gordon - I pay taxes so that
> absolves me of doing anything else but whine about
> how somebody else wont fix something I identify as
> a problem
>
> a phone call should magically fix everything LoLz
>
> God, I love y'all sometimes :)

Date: May 17, 2012 08:28AM

cause it's not an issue for me...........I'm not that pressed about it.

edit: how bout you?

pic unrelated................or is it? God I love Fairfax County sometimes LoLz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2012 08:33AM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
traffic thoughts.jpg

Posted by: don't bring a knife to a gun fight ()
Date: May 17, 2012 08:30AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> cause it's not an issue for me...........I'm not
> that pressed about it.

Yeah, Gordon Blvd is too busy arguing with MrMephisto about the Rose Hill stabbing!

Posted by: Hn ()
Date: May 17, 2012 08:58AM

Who can we contact? Who oversees vdot? Maybe we should link thisnthread to the news stations and they can investigate.

It's ridiculous how overgrown and unkempt our county is. This has never been a problem anywhere else I've lived. What will it take to change the situation?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 17, 2012 09:03AM

JBass Wrote:
> For being one of the wealthiest, most important
> counties in the nation, we shure have sucked at
> mowing our medians and shoulders. Seriously.
> Braddock Road looks like a friggin jungle.
>
> Dose anybody know why we ever stopped mowing our
> common areas?

You can have lower taxes or tidy medians. Pick one.

However, this would be a great thing to use prison labor on.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: May 17, 2012 09:09AM

@Mr M - might cost more to get prison labor. Got hire guards, etc. And to be honest, I'm not too sure if I want rapists and murderers out and about, even cutting grass. I can think of 3 elem schools along Braddock and I dont like the idea of convicts cutting grass near them, to be quite honest.............

also, remember the convicts would rather kill themselves than work LoLz

pic unrelated
Attachments:
wyatt.JPG

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 17, 2012 09:20AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @Mr M - might cost more to get prison labor. Got
> hire guards, etc. And to be honest, I'm not too
> sure if I want rapists and murderers out and
> about, even cutting grass. I can think of 3 elem
> schools along Braddock and I dont like the idea of
> convicts cutting grass near them, to be quite
> honest.............
>
> also, remember the convicts would rather kill
> themselves than work LoLz

Good point. Make it a community service task, at least.

> pic unrelated

I can't believe that's going on two years, now. Christ, I'm old.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: TrafficEngineer ()
Date: May 17, 2012 11:28AM

Vexxed, Pay close attention:

> How about you simply time the lights on major
> roadways NOW instead of waiting for the price of
> gas to go up again and have 7 on your side rat you
> out?
>

Roadways are timed optimally, no signal in the world is capable of efficietly moving the amount of cars that drive in NOVA during rush hour.

> Maybe you could stop hiring paving contractors
> from Maryland when there are hundreds of companies
> here in Virginia that pay taxes in Virginia and
> can't find work?

From what i recall, all i see is 'Virginia Paving Company' trucks everywhere a paving project is done. How would i know? i handle those contracts and know who gets paid. So do some research before u make stupid claims.

>
> How about we find another sound barrier contractor
> VDOT can pay for at least a year before the actual
> roadway it's supposed to be built next to, is
> built?

Sorry that construction isnt timed so perfectly, since constructing a roadway is something so simple that it can be dine in the span of a week. Pull ur head out your ass and think, the simplest intersection takes months of planning, coordinating, and actual building time. Too many factors are at play for it to all fall into place at once. Underground utilities, funds, contractor availability, work inspection, QA/QC, etc.

However, im not arguing for VDOT either. MD had it right when it separated the SHA from MDTA and MDOT. now that they each handle their own business, things get done much quicker with more coordination.

Date: May 17, 2012 04:33PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> You can have lower taxes or tidy medians. Pick
> one.
>
> However, this would be a great thing to use prison
> labor on.

You don't live in Fairfax County do you?

Tax rate was already high.......just got higher.

And still the grass waves mockingly at us in the breeze.

Date: May 17, 2012 04:51PM

TrafficEngineer Wrote:
> Vexxed, Pay close attention:

I promise, I will......even if you are full of shit.

>
>
>
> > How about you simply time the lights on major
> > roadways NOW instead of waiting for the price
> of
> > gas to go up again and have 7 on your side rat
> you
> > out?
> >
>
> Roadways are timed optimally, no signal in the
> world is capable of efficietly moving the amount
> of cars that drive in NOVA during rush hour.

Who said anything about JUST at rush hour? Why does it require 20 minutes to drive 3 miles down Rt 29 at FIVE in the morning? Before you hurt yourself figuring that out, it's because the lights are NOT timed. Not at that time of day or any time of day.

>
>
> > Maybe you could stop hiring paving contractors
> > from Maryland when there are hundreds of
> companies
> > here in Virginia that pay taxes in Virginia and
> > can't find work?
>
> From what i recall, all i see is 'Virginia Paving
> Company' trucks everywhere a paving project is
> done. How would i know? i handle those contracts
> and know who gets paid. So do some research before
> u make stupid claims.

Fuck you. Ft. Meyers Construction company is NOT out of Virginia. Not a single vehicle is tagged in the state of Virginia and each and every one of those vehicles clog the roadways into DC ever evening. Their headquarters is in DC and the vehicles are registered in Maryland. So much for the bullshit. You handle your dick........not contracts.
>
>
> >
> > How about we find another sound barrier
> contractor
> > VDOT can pay for at least a year before the
> actual
> > roadway it's supposed to be built next to, is
> > built?
>
> Sorry that construction isnt timed so perfectly,
> since constructing a roadway is something so
> simple that it can be dine in the span of a week.
> Pull ur head out your ass and think, the simplest
> intersection takes months of planning,
> coordinating, and actual building time. Too many
> factors are at play for it to all fall into place
> at once. Underground utilities, funds, contractor
> availability, work inspection, QA/QC, etc.

I would ask the same thing of you Mr. I don't handle shit.

The sound barriers I was referring to are the ones that line both sides of I-66 inside the beltway. Considering you're probably 19 and struggling through college you wont remember when they were installed. So I'll fill you in, dumbass. The contract (which you'll claim to have handled and oh boy I wish you had) was signed with a begin date the exact same as the rest of the roadway. Therefore since it was "cost plus" construction, the state of Virginia paid the barrier company for at least (may have been longer) a year before the roadway was even close to being done.......and that whole time the company could NOT install the barriers. Understand or shall I type slower? This portion of the roadway had been planned and planned and planned to death. Yet when it came time to implement, SOMEone in VDOT didn't bother to check the contract.

>
> However, im not arguing for VDOT either. MD had it
> right when it separated the SHA from MDTA and
> MDOT. now that they each handle their own
> business, things get done much quicker with more
> coordination.

So...........it's taken 20 years to coordinate the Gallows Road/Rt 29 intersection? That's how long it's been on the books.

And while we're getting back on topic here and you handle all the contracts and whatnot...........WTF is the deal with hiring contract mowers that use gang mowers wide enough to mow the national mall with one swipe yet at least one blade does nothing but knock the grass down? Grass which the more than likely illegals doing the job never go back and trim? Where's your QC? Where's your inspector?

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: May 17, 2012 06:31PM

Vexxxed Wrote:

> > Roadways are timed optimally, no signal in the
> > world is capable of efficietly moving the
> amount
> > of cars that drive in NOVA during rush hour.
>
> Who said anything about JUST at rush hour? Why
> does it require 20 minutes to drive 3 miles down
> Rt 29 at FIVE in the morning? Before you hurt
> yourself figuring that out, it's because the
> lights are NOT timed. Not at that time of day or
> any time of day.
>

The lights are, in fact, timed. For example, on 28, during the evening rush hour, heading south, they're timed so that if you get stopped at the park entrance, you'll get stopped again at Braddock Rd, again at UpperRidge Rd, and again at Machen Rd. In fact, they are expertly timed so that you'll catch them just as they're turning red, if you drive the speed limit. So you get to wait a full cycle for each stop.

Now if you meant timed, as in, timed to minimize stops and delay, no they're not. They are timed to maximize stops and delay.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: May 17, 2012 06:57PM

Tell the Republicans in the GA to stop sending the money to RoVa. If you live in NoVa and vote for a Republican, you are flushing your tax dollars to the rest of the state.

Posted by: whoa ()
Date: May 17, 2012 07:12PM

vdot has its share of bad employees like everyone else but there are MANY dedicated talented people who work there. the head of vdot is subject to political forces so priorities change depending on who is in office. richmond controls the funding.

construction in this area is extremely complicated and requires meticulous sequencing. vdot rides their contractors hard for not finishing on time. vdot employees take turns sleeping bc someone has to be on call for night work during interstate construction.

utilities have to be moved first and each one has its own schedule. much of it is underground/overhead spaghetti in this built up county. by the time road construction starts, people are already sick of orange cones. lots of hard hats standing around can mean they are waiting for a delivery or it is a multi step operation and different crews are needed.

soundwalls are put in first because residential neighborhoods demand it and politicians support it.

there are no plowing elves - snow removal is handled by all able bodied vdot employees from low paying field staff to high level masters holding professionals. they get sent home at 2 PM and are told to go to sleep so they can report back in at 2 AM.

if you have a better idea of how to time a signal, email it in and they will look at it. highway design and construction is more than slapping asphalt on dirt. there are extreme environmental and permitting restrictions, federal code and state code requirements.

Date: May 17, 2012 07:13PM

curious Wrote:
> Tell the Republicans in the GA to stop sending the
> money to RoVa. If you live in NoVa and vote for a
> Republican, you are flushing your tax dollars to
> the rest of the state.

Why shouldn't they send money elsewhere?

The idiots up here keep electing the likes of Gerry Connolly, is there any point to worrying about the roadways?

If the people can put up with him, crappy roads and too much traffic should be no problem.

Posted by: cool hand luke ()
Date: May 17, 2012 07:22PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @Mr M - might cost more to get prison labor. Got
> hire guards, etc. And to be honest, I'm not too
> sure if I want rapists and murderers out and
> about, even cutting grass. I can think of 3 elem
> schools along Braddock and I dont like the idea of
> convicts cutting grass near them, to be quite
> honest.............

They use local prisoners doing local time for non violent crimes. It usually takes one or two guards since there is little to no risk of escape. The prisoners are happy to do it and it is all volunteer. They are glad to get out of the jail and breathe clean air. Any with a history of violence will not be selected.

In the 60s they used real convicts and they were chained together. But liberals put a stop to that as it was demeaning to ask a killer to cut some grass. He had his pride see.

Date: May 17, 2012 08:29PM

@cool - of course prisoners would jump at the chance to volunteer. That way they can pick up the Meth that their babymommas leave that the jobsite the night before...........
@whoa - it's just easier to blame VDOT for not waving a magic wand and making all our problems disappear LoLz
@Mr M - I know, right?

and for Vexxed........And still the grass waves mockingly at us in the breeze.

..........all I can say is: THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME QUOTES EVER!!! :)

Posted by: TSki ()
Date: May 17, 2012 09:02PM

Date: May 17, 2012 09:21PM

whoa Wrote:
> vdot has its share of bad employees like everyone
> else but there are MANY dedicated talented people
> who work there. the head of vdot is subject to
> political forces so priorities change depending on
> who is in office. richmond controls the funding.

And that is the song and dance we've heard for years and years no matter who is in office. Meanwhile, we have lovely interstate highways that end in corn fields in the southwest and NOVA still gets to be #4 on the worst traffic list in the country.

>
>
> construction in this area is extremely complicated
> and requires meticulous sequencing. vdot rides
> their contractors hard for not finishing on time.
> vdot employees take turns sleeping bc someone has
> to be on call for night work during interstate
> construction.

Wow...and I'll bet they don't get a dime extra for working in the dark do they? It's not a hardship, it's a JOB. And one that pays overtime and comp time and taking a nap under an overpass time. INSTEAD of paying to have the grass mowed one or two more times a year.

>
> utilities have to be moved first and each one has
> its own schedule. much of it is
> underground/overhead spaghetti in this built up
> county. by the time road construction starts,
> people are already sick of orange cones. lots of
> hard hats standing around can mean they are
> waiting for a delivery or it is a multi step
> operation and different crews are needed.

Thank goodness that with all that confusion and planning and whatnot going on........that VDOT themselves aren't doing the job, huh? Contractors and minority contracting rules rein supreme. VDOT hasn't paved a road or built a road themselves for years. In fact, I doubt they ever have the equipment to do so.

>
> soundwalls are put in first because residential
> neighborhoods demand it and politicians support
> it.

How hard is this to understand? Inside the beltway on I-66, the sound barrier installation contractor was paid almost three million dollars for sitting on his ass until the route had been cleared and the road bed installed. I don't care how good you are, if the trees and houses and buildings haven't been cleared out of the way, you wont be installing anything. Are you sure you understand the process? Please tell me you don't really work for VDOT.
>
> there are no plowing elves - snow removal is
> handled by all able bodied vdot employees from low
> paying field staff to high level masters holding
> professionals. they get sent home at 2 PM and are
> told to go to sleep so they can report back in at
> 2 AM.

Oh man.......I can not believe you went here. So the ten million trucks that get mobilized every time there is a forecast for three snowflakes or temps dipping in the low 40's............a VDOT employee jumps in the cab of each and every one of them? I'm truly shocked that all those trucking companies would allow someone other than their own people to operate their trucks.

Meanwhile back on earth, VDOT is paying contractors.........what is it up to now? $175 and hour to sit on the side of the road and wait for bad weather?
>
> if you have a better idea of how to time a signal,
> email it in and they will look at it. highway
> design and construction is more than slapping
> asphalt on dirt. there are extreme environmental
> and permitting restrictions, federal code and
> state code requirements.

You are already so far in over your head that I'm not going to comment on this.

Just get the grass mowed will ya? Keep it simple and we'll see what we can do about getting you a full time job with VDOT.

Once someone gets killed on one of this needlessly dangerous roads, pointing at Richmond and saying it's anyone's fault but VDOT isn't going to cut it.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 18, 2012 12:13AM

TrafficEngineer Wrote:
>
> However, im not arguing for VDOT either. MD had it
> right when it separated the SHA from MDTA and
> MDOT. now that they each handle their own
> business, things get done much quicker with more
> coordination.

It makes sense but they would just all bullshit around and claim that they cannot accomplish anything becuase they are waiting on the other people or the other department is at fault

Posted by: Farmer John ()
Date: May 18, 2012 06:14AM

Spray Round-Up!

Posted by: K ()
Date: May 18, 2012 10:59AM

Ticks. Ticks everywhere.

Posted by: know it all ()
Date: May 18, 2012 07:09PM

Vexxxed Wrote:
> whoa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > vdot has its share of bad employees like
> everyone
> > else but there are MANY dedicated talented
> people
> > who work there. the head of vdot is subject to
> > political forces so priorities change depending
> on
> > who is in office. richmond controls the
> funding.
>
> And that is the song and dance we've heard for
> years and years no matter who is in office.
> Meanwhile, we have lovely interstate highways that
> end in corn fields in the southwest and NOVA still
> gets to be #4 on the worst traffic list in the
> country.
>
> >
> >
> > construction in this area is extremely
> complicated
> > and requires meticulous sequencing. vdot rides
> > their contractors hard for not finishing on
> time.
> > vdot employees take turns sleeping bc someone
> has
> > to be on call for night work during interstate
> > construction.
>
> Wow...and I'll bet they don't get a dime extra for
> working in the dark do they? It's not a hardship,
> it's a JOB. And one that pays overtime and comp
> time and taking a nap under an overpass time.
> INSTEAD of paying to have the grass mowed one or
> two more times a year.
>
> >
> > utilities have to be moved first and each one
> has
> > its own schedule. much of it is
> > underground/overhead spaghetti in this built up
> > county. by the time road construction starts,
> > people are already sick of orange cones. lots
> of
> > hard hats standing around can mean they are
> > waiting for a delivery or it is a multi step
> > operation and different crews are needed.
>
> Thank goodness that with all that confusion and
> planning and whatnot going on........that VDOT
> themselves aren't doing the job, huh? Contractors
> and minority contracting rules rein supreme. VDOT
> hasn't paved a road or built a road themselves for
> years. In fact, I doubt they ever have the
> equipment to do so.
>
>
> >
> > soundwalls are put in first because residential
> > neighborhoods demand it and politicians support
> > it.
>
> How hard is this to understand? Inside the
> beltway on I-66, the sound barrier installation
> contractor was paid almost three million dollars
> for sitting on his ass until the route had been
> cleared and the road bed installed. I don't care
> how good you are, if the trees and houses and
> buildings haven't been cleared out of the way, you
> wont be installing anything. Are you sure you
> understand the process? Please tell me you don't
> really work for VDOT.
> >
> > there are no plowing elves - snow removal is
> > handled by all able bodied vdot employees from
> low
> > paying field staff to high level masters
> holding
> > professionals. they get sent home at 2 PM and
> are
> > told to go to sleep so they can report back in
> at
> > 2 AM.
>
> Oh man.......I can not believe you went here. So
> the ten million trucks that get mobilized every
> time there is a forecast for three snowflakes or
> temps dipping in the low 40's............a VDOT
> employee jumps in the cab of each and every one of
> them? I'm truly shocked that all those trucking
> companies would allow someone other than their own
> people to operate their trucks.
>
> Meanwhile back on earth, VDOT is paying
> contractors.........what is it up to now? $175
> and hour to sit on the side of the road and wait
> for bad weather?
> >
> > if you have a better idea of how to time a
> signal,
> > email it in and they will look at it. highway
> > design and construction is more than slapping
> > asphalt on dirt. there are extreme
> environmental
> > and permitting restrictions, federal code and
> > state code requirements.
>
> You are already so far in over your head that I'm
> not going to comment on this.
>
> Just get the grass mowed will ya? Keep it simple
> and we'll see what we can do about getting you a
> full time job with VDOT.
>
> Once someone gets killed on one of this needlessly
> dangerous roads, pointing at Richmond and saying
> it's anyone's fault but VDOT isn't going to cut
> it.

you are too stupid to talk to

Posted by: cool hand luke ()
Date: May 18, 2012 07:23PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @cool - of course prisoners would jump at the
> chance to volunteer. That way they can pick up
> the Meth that their babymommas leave that the
> jobsite the night before...........

Not likely, they dont tell the prisoners where they are going and they are searched before they leave and after they come back. Few if any want to risk a felony charge to buy them two or more years back in the can. Thats also state time which is one hell of a lot worse than doing local time. Put away maybe two hundred miles from home, few perks like local and the guards are a tough bunch.

Posted by: SiriusB ()
Date: May 18, 2012 08:33PM

Grass that is left to go to seed not only feeds the wildlife with the rich nutritious seed heads, but when it fulfills its lifespan and goes to seed they don't have to pay out more money to reseed the medians. Those saved funds, along with all the snow removal savings from our new snowless 3-season climate, can then be sent elsewhere in the state for more important things, such as mowing the grass in these other more rural areas to be sure enough of the population is still out there to be impressed enough to get them re-elected. NoVa is their cash cow. I am surprised that it has not seceeded from the rest of Virginia to become the state of "East Virginia!"

Posted by: dudley dueright ()
Date: May 18, 2012 08:37PM

boys and girls scouts can earn a merit badge!

Posted by: Obiwanturd ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:34AM

It really is ridiculous. Not only unsightly, but a hazard since all the curbs/drainage is covered in grass and water then pools on the roadway (let alone ice in the winter).

We really do have crazy people running the General Assembly who can't prioritize anything (see lots of other Posts about what the GA is doing) and see the IMPORTANT things that need done.

The "we won't raise the gas tax (for 30 years) mentality because we can't think past our party-line has pushed us back 50 years in this state (if not more) and we need to start thinking forward not backwards.

But if let your grass at your residence grow too high you'll get fined bt the same gubmint because its a public health and fire issue. What a bunch of hypocrites, time to hit the rest button, folks.

Posted by: brad s ()
Date: May 20, 2012 01:15PM

That they have no money for this is BS. I have to travel throughout Va and I can tell you in other parts the roads are in great shape and the medians are mowed.
What about all the money that was saved from road salting this winter since there was barely any snow?
There should not be a need to raise the gas tax since No Va has grown and is choked with cars all paying the tax. The cars get less MPG since they sit in traffic so that is even more tax revenue coming in.

Posted by: call_them ()
Date: May 21, 2012 01:13PM

1-800-FOR-ROAD

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: May 21, 2012 01:56PM

Let the medians grow!

Not to 3', but a foot of growth doesn't hurt anything.

In fact, it allows more CO absorption and I like to see a diversity of native shrubbery.

You've all been brainwashed by Scott's lawn fertilizer, grass is for posers. Real men enjoy the efficiency created by a multi-plant ecosystem. You want grass, go waste time on the golf course.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:08PM

Burn it.

Posted by: Wait until mid July ()
Date: May 21, 2012 02:15PM

When it hasn't rained for a couple of weeks. The cigarette flickers will take care of the grass.

Posted by: K ()
Date: May 21, 2012 04:49PM

Atom Wrote:
> Let the medians grow!
>
> Not to 3', but a foot of growth doesn't hurt
> anything.
>
> In fact, it allows more CO absorption and I like
> to see a diversity of native shrubbery.
>
> You've all been brainwashed by Scott's lawn
> fertilizer, grass is for posers. Real men enjoy
> the efficiency created by a multi-plant ecosystem.
> You want grass, go waste time on the golf course.

Multi-plant ecosystems are all well and good, but a foot of growth is just UNKEMPT.

Posted by: and? ()
Date: May 23, 2012 01:28PM

Atom Wrote:
> Let the medians grow!
>
> Not to 3', but a foot of growth doesn't hurt
> anything.
>
> In fact, it allows more CO absorption and I like
> to see a diversity of native shrubbery.
>
> You've all been brainwashed by Scott's lawn
> fertilizer, grass is for posers. Real men enjoy
> the efficiency created by a multi-plant ecosystem.
> You want grass, go waste time on the golf course.

Umm, nimrod, most of the "shrubbery" that grows at rapid speeds on medians and the sides of roadways is actually invasive species. Tell us how you love English Ivy in your "multi-plant ecosystem." Talk about being brainwashed.....

Date: May 23, 2012 01:34PM

They don't have medians in Clifton. JBass strikes as one of those guys who actually lives in Centreville but who wants to pretend he lives in Clifton.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 01:34PM by WashingTone-Locian.

Date: May 23, 2012 02:21PM

ok, so I saw VDOT weed wackin on Guinea today but not really the median just the sides. Also noticed that some of the medians you arent supposed to mow - something about wildflowers - I dunno the sign was faded..........

but to be honest, yeah the median grass is high and crap, but really what's the big deal? I was thinking about this thread as I noticed the Braddock median and yeah it's high but who really cares? Why should I spend more money to cut it really is what I would like to know. Cause I know those 4 guys I saw weedwacking on Guinea are getting paid out my pocket..............

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 23, 2012 05:26PM

Gordo-In many areas there probably isn't much harm in letting the grass grow, other than it looks like crap. Near intersections though it can obstruct visibility or make it difficult for pedestrians who are caught half way across the street when the light changes. Failure to mow the ROW along side the roadway when there is no sidewalk can cause pedestrians to use the shoulder instead.

There is however a certain amount of hypocrisy in a government insisting that private individuals maintain their property but having the government let its adjacent area go. A few years back our neighborhood started cutting the VDOT ROW near intersections because VDOT was no longer maintaining it.

Posted by: Haythere! ()
Date: May 23, 2012 10:58PM

I hear that livestock is starving in the drought plagued southwestern/southern states. Virginia Road Hay could be offered to anyone free who is willing to cut it off the road medians/sides and sell it to the farmers in areas where rain does not fall that often. Farmers could buy it for cost of shipping and I am sure our illegal aliens would jump at the chance to make a few bucks running a mower and rake it and pack it and truck it to the farmers who need it!

Date: May 24, 2012 04:04PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> They don't have medians in Clifton. JBass strikes
> as one of those guys who actually lives in
> Centreville but who wants to pretend he lives in
> Clifton.

Fail.

Date: May 24, 2012 04:12PM

@Bill - good point about intersections. I havent really seen high grass at an intersection, though. Any examples you can think of?

@Hay - I dunno but I'm thinking our toxic, carbon monoxide soaked, cigarette butt dipped hay wouldnt be too good for that cattle...........I know I'm not jumping up at the thought of eating meat from cattle feed from it LoLz

pic unrelated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 04:13PM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
catdriver0.jpg

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: May 24, 2012 06:34PM

Burke Road is looking like a jungle. Although some credit, at least there was some mowing near intersections(about 5 feet). Counts for something LOL

Date: May 31, 2012 12:00PM

They must be listening there was some mowing done on Burke Lake Road in the past few days

Posted by: eagle64 ()
Date: June 01, 2012 09:55PM

The county seems to be more concerned about mowing the foot/bike trails in Fairfax Co. The sides of the foot/bike path that parallels Braddock Rd between the Chantilly Country Club swimming pool and NOVEC substation has just been mowed in the past week as I noted today when I walked it.

Posted by: Whitey McDevil ()
Date: June 02, 2012 01:54PM

Prisoners? Is there really a shortage of Mexicans to cut grass in Fairfax County? I can't believe i got this in first.

Posted by: T. Farrell Egge ()
Date: June 02, 2012 07:17PM

Perhaps VDOT should incorporate mwoing into its adopt a spot program. don't most adoptee's hire out the work to landscape crews to pick up the trash hey help a beaner out and get them to mow. won't cover all spots but would help.

Hey what happened to the Oakton High School Octagon Club adopting the spot in front of the high school on Blake Lane?
What is the Octagon Club? some Oriental martial arts club?

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: June 03, 2012 09:58AM

Medians will be mowed in due time. When Fall rolls around in order that the politicians can have their campaign signs seen. That's money in the bank right there.

Date: June 03, 2012 10:16AM

@Joe B - sooooooooo +1

Posted by: MikeMike ()
Date: June 03, 2013 11:15PM

We live in a ghetto now! Let's do something about it. We pay zillions in taxes! We deserve more from state and county.

Posted by: El Cicada ()
Date: June 03, 2013 11:26PM

MikeMike Wrote:
> We live in a ghetto now! Let's do something about
> it. We pay zillions in taxes! We deserve more from
> state and county.

Sorry dude, the illegal hispanics need the cash. Work harder,stop bitching, They need help and assistance, get use to it.
How ironic the grass is not getting cut with so many illegal hispanics in fairfax.

Posted by: Ronnie ()
Date: June 04, 2013 06:41AM

Friggin medians on Rt 28 in Manassas have cicadas pouring out of them.

Posted by: ROCKO MEATS ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:56AM

Since it rains a least 2 times a week I pretty sure 2 mowings a year isn't gonna work, I got a great IDEA how about using inmates from the FFX ADC to mow?

Posted by: VDOT has no money for Fairfax ()
Date: June 18, 2013 02:10PM

Sorry, we're too busy building highways in central virginia, no money for Fairfax

Posted by: uh-huh ()
Date: June 18, 2013 09:26PM

The state is supposed to mow the grass? So if they don't, does that mean I don't have to either?

Posted by: Truth police ()
Date: June 18, 2013 09:56PM

It is not exactly correct to blame VDOT. Fairfax county pays VDOT to manage it transportation needs, not the other way around. It would be very expensive to have a Fairfax Department of Transportation. If you have a problem with the money allocated to VDOT to tend Fairfax county roads, you should speak with your rep and supervisor.

Just keepin it real.

Posted by: Source Cite Please ()
Date: June 19, 2013 11:28AM

Can you cite the source for that info? I thought it all comes out of the vehicles funds VDOT gets and is supposed to be evenly split among all road miles maintained by the state evenly

Posted by: Thank you for your service ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:27PM

Those of you that would like to volunteer, feel free. Here's the info:

http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/volunteer_mowing.asp

Problem is when you mow you can then see all the trash people throw out their windows, so plan on picking that up while you're at it.

http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/prog-aah-default.asp

Posted by: Your tax dollars ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:29PM

In 2009 Virginia cut its mowing budget by $20 million. Don't think we ever got that money back.

Posted by: Fairfax Co has all the answers! ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:30PM

Here you go, good citizens. Fairfax County is ready and waiting for you to serve:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dranesville/vdot_private_mowers.htm

Posted by: Disagree ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:41PM

Truth police Wrote:
> It is not exactly correct to blame VDOT. Fairfax
> county pays VDOT to manage it transportation
> needs, not the other way around. It would be very
> expensive to have a Fairfax Department of
> Transportation. If you have a problem with the
> money allocated to VDOT to tend Fairfax county
> roads, you should speak with your rep and
> supervisor.
>
> Just keepin it real.

What are you smoking?
We have a Fairfax County DOT. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/transportation/
Because the state legislature has been inept at providing adequate funding and planning for our transportation system for years the county has stepped up and funded many projects for/on our state roads even though it is a state responsibility. Seriously though if you have a problem with the money allocated to VDOT, you should speak to your General Assembly Representatives as they are the ones who decide whom gets what budget-wise. The Fairfax Board are not decision makers when it comes to the VA budget and saying otherwise is a lie.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.