HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Which state am I supposed to have license in?
Posted by: native.one ()
Date: May 11, 2012 11:42PM

I have property in Maryland and Virginia. I have a Maryland license and when I got pulled over by FCPD I was told I am supposed to have a VA license and MD tells me otherwise. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which state am I supposed to have license in?
Posted by: Matlock ()
Date: May 11, 2012 11:55PM

Other than in some unusual cases, it would be your state of legal residence.

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:17AM

Whichever state your cars are titled in.

Posted by: Rider ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:33AM

To which state do you pay income tax?

Posted by: Licensed ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:16AM

You must have your driver's license in the state where you are domiciled. Where you live. Where you get mail. Where you are registered to vote. Where your bills are sent. Where you pay state income taxes. If you split time living in two different states you still have to pick one that meets the above test most of the time.

Vehicles are to be registered in the state/locality the vehicle physically resides in the majority of the time.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 12, 2012 09:58AM

Some people try to game the system and perhaps the OP is one of them.

Pick the state that you are a domiciliary resident of, and make sure that you treat that as your state of residence FOR ALL PURPOSES. That means you get your drivers license there, you register your car there, you register to vote there, you pay your state (and local) income taxes there, you pay your personal property taxes there and you meet that location's vehicle inspection laws. If you actually have a residence that you spend the night at in Virginia and another in Maryland, a police officer can get somewhat confused as to which one is your domiciliary residence. However if you show up at court with that stack of paperwork for Maryland plus the deed to your Maryland property the ticket is likely to get thrown out.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.