HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Paving on Ffx County Pkwy & Route 7
Posted by: KeepMissingTheLight ()
Date: May 11, 2012 07:20AM

So these two roads are being paved. And to turn left across them, or drive across one of the cross streets, motorists have to drive over the bumps where the new pavement begins and ends.

Is driving up and over a three inch bump of asphalt really so risky to one's tires that everyone must drive through these intersections at walking speed?

I am just curious if people are over-cautious, or if there really is any risk to your car.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paving on Ffx County Pkwy & Route 7
Posted by: Commuter ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:00PM

KeepMissingTheLight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So these two roads are being paved. And to turn
> left across them, or drive across one of the cross
> streets, motorists have to drive over the bumps
> where the new pavement begins and ends.
>
> Is driving up and over a three inch bump of
> asphalt really so risky to one's tires that
> everyone must drive through these intersections at
> walking speed?
>
> I am just curious if people are over-cautious, or
> if there really is any risk to your car.

Well its hell to pay if the bottom of your car gets scraped when going over those bumps at faster speeds.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: May 12, 2012 05:58PM

I wouldn't worry about it so much on highways like I-95, because it seems that they usually consider increased speeds when doing work there. However, It's better safe than sorry, especially if your tire catches a groove or edge funny, and worse yet if you have performance low-pros where it can really jerk the wheel from you. Remember, intersections are already crazy enough around here as is, and the aspect of turning is not the same as driving straight over a grade difference.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Braking ()
Date: May 17, 2012 05:49PM

I have had to drive over the double bump intersection atleast 6 times per day over the last week or so they've been paving and ABSOLUTELY... you cannot just blow over the bumps at regular speed.
I have seen people going painfully slow over them which is insane, but you absolutely need to brake and exercise SOME caution if you don't want to damage your tires/wheels or the underside of your car.
Lots of cars around here sit very low and also have the low-pros that ThePackLeader mentioned. Very expensive to replace/repair and it's not really worth it to fly through that bs just so you can make the light when you want.

Posted by: terry the toad ()
Date: May 17, 2012 06:08PM

The cost of a new tire is around $150 not including the damage to the front end and your wasted time. Your complaint is with the ones paving the roads. Rather than just do a straight cut they need to grade the bump so it doesnt kill the front end of car when it goes over it.

Posted by: jack ford ()
Date: May 18, 2012 06:22AM

Hell these days I'm just be glad they are repaving these roads

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: May 18, 2012 07:33AM

jack ford Wrote:
> Hell these days I'm just be glad they are repaving
> these roads

And repaving and repaving..........why is Rt 50 inside the beltway getting ripped up and repaved again? Parts of I-66 W as well? Wasn't it just a year ago we were sitting in traffic while they did it the first time?

I always thought asphalt lasted a little longer than 365 days.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 18, 2012 07:42AM

I dunno about 50 but what's happening on 66 is in a diff area than where they were last year. I think the 66 thing is the same paving project, just finishing up..................

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: May 18, 2012 10:53AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> I dunno about 50 but what's happening on 66 is in
> a diff area than where they were last year. I
> think the 66 thing is the same paving project,
> just finishing up..................

The parts that I drive on are the same ones that were paved last year.

What amazes me is that in a matter of days, they've redone what took weeks to do the first time. Of course they didn't have to patch the concrete portions again so they could be paved over though.

I suppose it could be that the contractor did a crummy job the first time and had to redo those spots. A contractor in Virginia held accountable...go figure.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.