HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Does anyone sell gas without ethanol?
Date: April 18, 2008 10:50PM

I've noticed that all the gas stations I've been to lately say they have 10% ethanol. Are there any that sell 100% gas? When gas prices are through the roof, I do not want to be paying welfare checks to corn farmers in Iowa, or the Archer-Daniels Midland company.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone sell gas without ethanol?
Posted by: no ()
Date: April 19, 2008 11:04AM

no, walking or biking are your alternatives. Or buy a diesel vehicle.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: April 19, 2008 11:35AM

Space Ghost Coast to Coast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When gas prices are through
> the roof, I do not want to be paying welfare
> checks to corn farmers in Iowa, or the
> Archer-Daniels Midland company.

Hmm.. I thought ethanol was added to the gasoline because it's cheaper than gasoline... http://www.ethanolmarket.com/

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: April 19, 2008 11:51AM

> I've noticed that all the gas stations I've been
> to lately say they have 10% ethanol. Are there any
> that sell 100% gas? When gas prices are through
> the roof, I do not want to be paying welfare
> checks to corn farmers in Iowa, or the
> Archer-Daniels Midland company.

Would you rather give all your money to the already rich oil companies, who are raking in record profits?

Date: April 19, 2008 12:27PM

> Would you rather give all your money to the
> already rich oil companies, who are raking in
> record profits?

Yes. The oil companies may be making "record profits," but that's because it's all more expensive and the totals are higher; they aren't making abnormal profit margins in terms of percentages. Sales are up, and costs are up.

If ethanol was actually cheaper, that would be okay. I have doubts about that, because they still can't seem to figure out whether it takes more or less oil to grow the corn than the amount of fuel you get out of it. Ethanol from corn is a total scam that only benefits the corn growers. Brazil uses ethanol from sugarcane, which works better but they're slashing the Amazon to make room for it.

It is immoral to burn food products for fuel. People in other countries are starving because grain prices have gone up.

So anyway, I was just curious whether this is something that's happening to all teh gas in the area, or not.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: April 19, 2008 01:54PM

> Yes. The oil companies may be making "record profits," but that's because it's > all more expensive and the totals are higher; they aren't making abnormal
> profit margins in terms of percentages. Sales are up, and costs are up.
>
> If ethanol was actually cheaper, that would be okay. I have doubts about that,
> because they still can't seem to figure out whether it takes more or less oil
> to grow the corn than the amount of fuel you get out of it. Ethanol from corn
> is a total scam that only benefits the corn growers. Brazil uses ethanol from
> sugarcane, which works better but they're slashing the Amazon to make room for
> it.
>
> It is immoral to burn food products for fuel. People in other countries are
> starving because grain prices have gone up.
>
> So anyway, I was just curious whether this is something that's happening to all
> the gas in the area, or not.

Profit margins for the oil companies absolutely have increased. The price of oil is largely controlled by OPEC, and since demand has gone up (e.g. usage in India, China) OPEC has raised prices, AND refused to increase production. However, the "cost" of processing domestic oil has not increased nearly as much, so their profit margins for domestic oil production is considerably higher.

I do agree with you about the ethanol charade though. It is no less expensive to produce, is burns less efficiently than gasoline, and produces more pollution than gasoline.

I don't think any form of bio-fuel is the answer. The amount needed far exceeds the amount of land, etc. needed to satisfy that need with any form of bio-fuel, sugarcane, corn, or anything else.

Unfortunately, the ethanol gimic has caught on, and I don't think you'll find any "pure" gasoline in the area.

Posted by: answer ()
Date: April 19, 2008 03:49PM

I think if you travel south of the Rapahanock(spelling) River the gas stations do not have ethanol, until you reach the VA Beach area.

Posted by: MtP ()
Date: April 20, 2008 06:50PM

>
> Hmm.. I thought ethanol was added to the gasoline
> because it's cheaper than gasoline...
> http://www.ethanolmarket.com/

I think it was required in the DC area as a pollution reducer after the previous attempt to lower pollution through MTBE was found to be polluting the water.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: August 07, 2008 03:44PM

Unfortunately we even have 10% ethanol south of the Rappahannoc. Not sure how far south it goes now, but I suspect that the whole state is 10%. It really wreeks havoc on fiberglass motorcycle tanks.

Posted by: LortonGuy ()
Date: August 07, 2008 03:59PM

Federal law now mandates the use of 10% ethanol. It went into effect last year.

One other point, cars get lower fuel economy with ethanol. In other words, it takes more gallons of enthanol to go the same distance as it does with gasoline. Finally, evaporative emmissions are significantly higher with ethanol which means higher green house gases are produced. (evaporative emmissions are the emissions that escape when fueling a car).

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: August 07, 2008 07:00PM

I could have swore I was at a Shell in Woodbrige a couple months ago that still had MTBE stickers. Does the US produce enough ethanol for meet 10% of every single gas station in the country?

Posted by: LortonGuy ()
Date: August 07, 2008 09:02PM

yes we do produce enough..which is why vegtable prices are skyrocketing. Farmers can make more on fuel-corn that eating-corn so they are converting crops like crazy reducing the supply of food. By the way they still collect Billions in federal subsidies to help "struggling farmers" - when they are making more money than they know what to do with. What a country.... look at your next pay check adn see how much they take out for Federal taxes to pay for it.

Posted by: Middie ()
Date: August 07, 2008 09:50PM

OPEC controls some of the pricing. The rest are done by speculators and "free" markets. Oil should be around $70

Posted by: j l west ()
Date: April 15, 2009 12:37PM

harrisonburg, va Royal food mart 1770e market st. no ethanol

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 15, 2009 01:53PM

beat me to it! I was going to say that I found some place in Harrisonburg that haid stickers saying NO ETHANOL in our gas

Posted by: Oz ()
Date: May 27, 2012 09:21PM

Here... http://www.buyrealgas.com/

Not in immediate area of fairfax however.

Posted by: Observer of Things ()
Date: May 27, 2012 09:26PM

LortonGuy Wrote:
> Federal law now mandates the use of 10% ethanol.
> It went into effect last year.

INCORRECT.

I get non-ethanol gas in the northern neck, middle peninsula, and southside VA. Also down in NC through GA, it's available. Anywhere with a boating population, you'll be able to find one or two decent stations that don't sell that piece-of-shit watered down 10% ethanol bullshit.

> One other point, cars get lower fuel economy with
> ethanol. In other words, it takes more gallons of
> enthanol to go the same distance as it does with
> gasoline. Finally, evaporative emmissions are
> significantly higher with ethanol which means
> higher green house gases are produced.
> (evaporative emmissions are the emissions that
> escape when fueling a car).

CORRECT. And it fucks up our engines.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: May 27, 2012 10:35PM

The bigger problem is the supply/demand curves being stretched different directions because the supply can't meet the demand efficiently. Traditional oil refineries can't handle crude harvested using fracking, which is the new thing. The foreign, traditional oil is going through refineries but we're not getting any of this Dakotas/Iowa/Idaho oil because it costs too much for anyone around here to turn it into gasoline. Need to start retrofitting some of these idle refineries.

Posted by: smelly belly ()
Date: May 28, 2012 07:39AM

Ethanol also burns much quicker than regular gasoline which is why they had to change how mpg was calculated recently.

Posted by: small engine mechanic ()
Date: May 28, 2012 10:20AM

I have a cottage at Lake Anna and all the lakeside gas stations sell ethanol free gas. There are huge benefits to using ethanol free gas in lawn mowers, tractors. generators and such. Ethanol free gas also will last over a year in storage without adding any stabilizer chemicals. I always see the harley riders filling up with it at the lake.

Posted by: worse ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:39AM

I also heard that ethanol disolves the various rubber pieces in your fuel lines.....

Posted by: Blackcoffee ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:53AM

Liberty gas stations in Winchester VA and Front Royal VA. I had my Stihl weedeater in the shop this spring for a no start problem. Carb ruined by ethanol gas. The service writer said they had two 5 gallon buckets full of ruined small engine carbs due to ethanol.

Posted by: mower ()
Date: May 28, 2012 05:44PM

If you have a small yard and dont use much fuel you can get 32oz cans at Lowes for about 4 bucks. Its high dollar but will save your small engines.
Attachments:
fuel.jpg

Posted by: Gunrunner ()
Date: May 28, 2012 06:41PM

Pure gas stations used to sell gas without ethanol.Can't seem to find them anymore.

Posted by: KitemanSA ()
Date: July 08, 2013 01:00AM

Try also, pure-gas.org

Posted by: GasMan ()
Date: July 08, 2013 01:09AM

Gas without ethanol? Sure! Just put your mouth near my asshole and you can have as much as ethanol-free gas as you want. So meet me outside Taco Bell tomorrow at 9?

Posted by: Commuter ()
Date: July 08, 2013 04:44AM

What are the negative effects for using gas 10% ethanol?

Posted by: Vwe96 ()
Date: July 08, 2013 12:10PM

Commuter Wrote:
> What are the negative effects for using gas 10%
> ethanol?

of the top of my head...

ethanol fuel goes bad quicker (an issue w/ mowers, chainsaws, and other small equipment)
ethanol eats up rubber hose
fewer MPG with ethanol fuel

there may be more.

Posted by: Harry Balz ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:56AM

"PURE" gas stations supposedly have 100% gasoline. There is one on Rte. 236 just past Annandale going toward Alexandria.

Posted by: small engine mechanic ()
Date: July 13, 2013 06:59AM

There is no better favor you can do for your mower or generator than to give it ethanol free gas. Ethanol free gas will also store up to a year without going bad. If you add fuel stabilizer like seafoam or sta-bil to ethanol free gas it will last a couple years in storage.

The Two closest places I know of that have the stuff is R&H grocery in Remmington VA (just south of Warrenton on route 29) and the marinas at Lake Anna all sell it as well.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/r-and-h-grocery-remington

Posted by: Govermentclowns ()
Date: July 13, 2013 07:25AM

Want to know why your weed eater you just bought wont run without the choke half on Ethanol gas. 10% Ethanol means 10% less miles per gallon. Ethonal mixes with and attracts water causing many problems. It drys out plastics and rubber causing most caburator problems, it causes rust and corrodeds aluminum. This is another government scam.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.