HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Nightly Jet-Like Noises near Fairfax City
Posted by: Krewtan ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:22PM

Every night starting after about 11:00 PM I hear really loud, deep, booming noises near Pickett Road and 236. Just moved here a couple months ago so I'm not sure if these noises were here when I first moved here, but I began noticing them around the end of March.

Sounds like it could be a military jet, but the few times I've gone out and looked I wasn't able to spot any in the sky. The noise is pretty consistent and sounds like an engine, and goes away in a minute or two. One night it sounded like it was revving, for about a minute or less, and then went away.

Any ideas on what it could be? Is it really a jet, or something else? Anyone else hear it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nightly Jet-Like Noises near Fairfax City
Posted by: Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:26PM

Yeah that's just me and Goose buzzin' the circle...

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:30PM

NORAD, no worries

Date: April 11, 2012 09:43PM

Norad posts specific dates that they run exercises, but the only date posted in recent weeks was March 28. This is almost every single night.

Posted by: Guest ()
Date: April 11, 2012 10:07PM

Post again when you hear it. I should be able to say if there is a jet taking off somewhere at that time.

Date: April 11, 2012 10:29PM

Sure, how will you know?

Posted by: Guest ()
Date: April 11, 2012 10:54PM

I have scanners and a special tool for tracking aircraft.

Posted by: I can't tell ()
Date: April 11, 2012 11:21PM

You are correct that it sounds like a jet engine, but it is not something that flies.

Date: April 11, 2012 11:28PM

Guest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have scanners and a special tool for tracking
> aircraft.

Great, I'll be sure to post as soon as I hear it next.

Date: April 11, 2012 11:29PM

I can't tell Wrote:
> You are correct that it sounds like a jet engine,
> but it is not something that flies.

That would explain why I didn't see anything in the sky. But what could make that much noise, and at odd hours of the night?

Date: April 12, 2012 12:04AM

Right now, not very loud, but definitely heard it. For about 10 seconds.

Date: April 12, 2012 12:28AM

Just heard and saw a helicopter fly over Old Town Fairfax. That's not the sound I've been hearing, don't want that mistaken.

Posted by: hermit ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:46AM

just heard over burke at 1245. sounded like low flying jet and lasted about a minute.

Posted by: holy fuck ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:51AM

Holy shit I just heard it and I thought we were about to be attacked by a ufo holy shit that was freKy... I knew some 1 would have a post up lol trusty ol ffx underground

Posted by: notKrewtan ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:52AM

I just heard it over fairfax station... was 2 or 3 times, each lasted 5-10 seconds, were really loud. Woke up the whole family and now the dog won't shut up...

Date: April 12, 2012 12:53AM

I did too, 12:43, loud as hell for ten seconds, and then again at 12:44, loud again for about ten seconds. Sounded like a jet.

Since then, I've sporadically heard a similar noise in the distance. Hermit, you hearing that too?

Posted by: Twinbrook area ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:54AM

I heard it too near braddock and rolling. I looked out and saw two rows of red lights.

Posted by: woah ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:55AM

I heard it over in Burke too. It was super loud! I thought a plane was gonna crash into my neighborhood or something.

Posted by: notKrewtan ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:56AM

Here's the explanation... source: https://textalert.ema.dc.gov/latest.php

04/11/12 20:16 The North American Aerospace Defense Command and its geographical component, the Continental United States NORAD Region (CONR), will conduct exercise Falcon Virgo 12-07 beginning Wednesday night, April 11, at midnight into early Thursday morning, April 12, in the National Capital Region, Washington, D.C.

The exercise is comprised of a series of training flights held in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Capital Region Coordination Center, the Joint Air Defense Operations Center, Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Coast Guard and CONR’s Eastern Air Defense Sector.

Flights in the National Capital Region are scheduled to take place between midnight and 2 a.m.

Exercise Falcon Virgo is designed to hone NORAD’s intercept and identification operations as well as operationally test the NCR Visual Warning System. Civil Air Patrol aircraft, Air Force F-16s and a U.S. Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter will participate in the exercise.

These exercises are carefully planned and closely controlled to ensure CONR’s rapid response capability. NORAD has conducted exercise flights of this nature throughout the U.S. and Canada since the start of Operation Noble Eagle, the command’s response to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

In the event of inclement weather, the exercise will take place the following evening. If bad weather continues, officials will then make a decision to postpone or cancel the exercise.

As the Continental United States geographical component of the bi-national command NORAD, CONR provides airspace surveillance and control, and directs air sovereignty activities for the CONUS region. CONR and its assigned Air Force and Army assets throughout the country ensure air safety and security against potential air threats.

Since Sept. 11, 2001, CONR fighters have responded to more than 3,400 possible air threats in the United States and have flown more than 59,000 sorties with the support of Airborne Warning and Control System and air-to-air-refueling aircraft.

Posted by: Guinea Rd area ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:57AM

Just heard it near Braddock and Guinea...loud and lasted few seconds then again for another few seconds. Still can hear something in distance. Looks like more plane activity than normal?

Posted by: d ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:58AM

Also just heard this over Burke and spotted an aircraft with almost twinkling white and red lights headed east. Definitely had me expecting death from above for a while there.

Posted by: G. Jetson ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:58AM

Thanks for the info! Knew we could count on everyone here...

Posted by: same guy that wrote holy fuck ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:59AM

Soo what's the verdict????? Do we have an explanation????

Posted by: Cantsleep123 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:59AM

I just google- searched and came across this thread. I too am in Burke & heard that loud jet a few times!! Obviously, freaking sounding enough to have me google- searching at 1am!!!! It sounded very, very low!! I've lived in this area my whole life & have never heard anything like that...

Posted by: NORAD ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:02AM

Here's the explanation... source: https://textalert.ema.dc.gov/latest.php

04/11/12 20:16 The North American Aerospace Defense Command and its geographical component, the Continental United States NORAD Region (CONR), will conduct exercise Falcon Virgo 12-07 beginning Wednesday night, April 11, at midnight into early Thursday morning, April 12, in the National Capital Region, Washington, D.C.

The exercise is comprised of a series of training flights held in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Capital Region Coordination Center, the Joint Air Defense Operations Center, Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Coast Guard and CONR’s Eastern Air Defense Sector.

Flights in the National Capital Region are scheduled to take place between midnight and 2 a.m.

Exercise Falcon Virgo is designed to hone NORAD’s intercept and identification operations as well as operationally test the NCR Visual Warning System. Civil Air Patrol aircraft, Air Force F-16s and a U.S. Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter will participate in the exercise.

These exercises are carefully planned and closely controlled to ensure CONR’s rapid response capability. NORAD has conducted exercise flights of this nature throughout the U.S. and Canada since the start of Operation Noble Eagle, the command’s response to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

In the event of inclement weather, the exercise will take place the following evening. If bad weather continues, officials will then make a decision to postpone or cancel the exercise.

As the Continental United States geographical component of the bi-national command NORAD, CONR provides airspace surveillance and control, and directs air sovereignty activities for the CONUS region. CONR and its assigned Air Force and Army assets throughout the country ensure air safety and security against potential air threats.

Since Sept. 11, 2001, CONR fighters have responded to more than 3,400 possible air threats in the United States and have flown more than 59,000 sorties with the support of Airborne Warning and Control System and air-to-air-refueling aircraft.

Posted by: Ben franklin ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:02AM

Those who are willing to sacrifice their sleep between the hours of 12 and 1 am on select nights for security deserve neither.

Posted by: TSki ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:03AM

Heard what sounded like a pair of F-16s over Springfield near Rolling Road and Old Keene Mill. Loud enough to wake me up that's for sure.

Posted by: Cantsleep123 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:05AM

Thank u so much for the explanation!

Date: April 12, 2012 01:05AM

Thanks for posting that, I checked NORAD's site earlier and somehow thought this was schedule for tomorrow night. I was also awake and heard the last NORAD training exercise, I think it was March 28.

The thing is, I've been staying up late for schoolwork recently and I've been hearing similar jet noises, not quite as loud, but still pretty loud. You probably wouldn't wake up if you were sleeping, but you'd definitely notice.

Any ideas? It's happened almost every night, and several times some nights.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:06AM

I'm in Burke near Old Keene Mill and Rolling, right next to the VRE line but that definitely was not a train. I jumped out of bed too. You know, I get some newsletter emails from state officials and don't recall this ever being mentioned.

Posted by: sabashtin ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:27AM

I was totally freaked out. I went outside after I my windows rattled a little and ive been hearing it a few times in the last month. I saw the afterburnners kick on but what freaked me out was this one flashing light at first I was like meh its a plane but the direction totally swithced path in a 90 degree angle. I about shat myself. After a few seconds it disappeard not sure if it was clouds or what. I have no idea could be military testing new crafts or something else. I believe in UFO's but I dont believe in them until I see one for myself if you know what I mean. anyways, whatever it was I never seen anything like it in my life. I am hoping and letting my mind tell me its nothing just some precausions or testing. whoooooooooo

Posted by: Ogien ()
Date: April 12, 2012 02:30AM

Yeah, just heard them here flying over Zion and Roberts Rd. I hate this fucking shit so much.

Posted by: holy shit ()
Date: April 12, 2012 03:09AM

Te he he he I was scared

Posted by: Sleepless in Springfield ()
Date: April 12, 2012 08:28AM

I heard at last night around 12ish. My wife woke me up. I told her it was just a jet, but when the noise persisted for over a minute, that's when I thought WTF kind of jet hovers? And it sounded like it wasn't moving. I'm glad other people heard as well. Freaky.

Posted by: ORCGUY ()
Date: April 12, 2012 08:39AM

I was FREAKED the F*@K out! Rolling and Braddock.
The first one was like, hmmm...what the hell was that. Then the 2nd one threw me for a loop! I was looking for the Zombies. I got on the internet, turned on the news, turned on the Fairfax Dispatch radio...nothing. I knew I could count on the Underground though!

Posted by: MUFON ()
Date: April 12, 2012 08:47AM

It's just training excercises using the new F-35 prototypes. You can read more about it here...

Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II
Attachments:
763px-CF-1_flight_test.jpg

Posted by: orville ()
Date: April 12, 2012 09:16AM

Saw it at Andrews airsow, a bad ass plane. It does things you could never imagine a plane being able to do. Keep em flying!

Posted by: Near George Mason ()
Date: April 12, 2012 10:03AM

Why are they doing this over residential areas? Why not go over the Potomac or the Bay? Also, the word is not getting out in advance so everyone freaks out when it happens.

Posted by: So Many Questions ()
Date: April 12, 2012 10:23AM

I too heard the the jet but I couldn't actually see him. But I could definitely tell he was making some serious turns just by the direction of the noise he was making.

But to those who say they're testing out the new F-35's, since Ft. Belvoir is an army base I doubt they'd be the ones testing out new equipment like that. So that means the next logical choice would be that the plane orginated from Quantico (which is pretty doubtful too but plausible). Why would a flight orginating from Quantico come all the way up to Fairfax to test out capabilities? And if the noises that we all heard last night are the same noises they were hearing over in Fairfax city, why are they continually using Fairfax as opposed to the less populated Route 28 area of Prince William?

Date: April 12, 2012 10:24AM

Near George Mason Wrote:
> Why are they doing this over residential areas?
> Why not go over the Potomac or the Bay? Also, the
> word is not getting out in advance so everyone
> freaks out when it happens.

It's always posted a couple of weeks in advance. It's just that alot of people don't read it until others start reporting strange lights and sounds in the nightime sky. As for the location of the flights, they have to fly over residential areas to get to the areas where they are training. Some of those places are very close to residential areas, so there's your noise problem.

Posted by: dont be frightened ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:24PM

Yes, and it now gives Fairfax County wusses a whole new subject to complain about, they have worn out teachers, police and firemen. Lets rag the military for a while

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 12:26PM

Those are the sounds of freedom. God bless the U.S. Military. Thanks to those who put NORAD's press release here.

Date: April 12, 2012 12:34PM

NRA 75 Wrote:
> Those are the sounds of freedom. God bless the
> U.S. Military. Thanks to those who put NORAD's
> press release here.

*Raises a Glass*, God Bless the military.

Posted by: No1 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 10:50PM

Yesterday 06/20/12 around 12-25am I heard it too. Noise is similar to F-16s but little bit less. And plane sounded like making lot of maneuvers. Must be something knew. Tought it's gonna crash))

Posted by: Two Cents ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:01AM

Krewtan Wrote:
> Every night starting after about 11:00 PM I hear
> really loud, deep, booming noises near Pickett
> Road and 236. Just moved here a couple months ago
> so I'm not sure if these noises were here when I
> first moved here, but I began noticing them around
> the end of March.
>
> Sounds like it could be a military jet, but the
> few times I've gone out and looked I wasn't able
> to spot any in the sky. The noise is pretty
> consistent and sounds like an engine, and goes
> away in a minute or two. One night it sounded like
> it was revving, for about a minute or less, and
> then went away.
>
> Any ideas on what it could be? Is it really a jet,
> or something else? Anyone else hear it?

Yes, its another OP who CAN'T FUCKING READ!!! Already a thread of this!

Low-Flying Planes Part of NORAD Exercise - Don't be alarmed if you hear low-flying airplanes (6/18 thru 6/20)
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/934777.html

Posted by: Bob Sacamano ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:56AM

to the OP maybe the sound is coming from the tank farm on pickett road. that joint is rocking during the night with tanker trucks loading up and heading out for delieveries

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:23AM

@TwoCents - Luke 4:23 - cause O.P. started the thread in APRIL so I'm not too sure how they could have read that thread you linked which was created this week. You Fail.

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:42PM

I love jets!!

Posted by: Mary Achi ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:46PM

OMG! I hear helicopters over Fairfax City. Sounds like there's two
of them!!!

Whoops! It's only Pedro and Juan starting up the lawn mowers.

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: June 21, 2012 01:46PM

No lawn mower sounds like a jet, that's silly.

Posted by: CMR ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:26PM

I heard it not last night but the night before. Even though I always know it's probably nothing, it's kind of freaky at night. It's like, is a plane going to crash? Are we being invaded by aliens? Is the world coming to an end? No, it's just a plane.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.