HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
another FCPS teacher with NO common sense
Posted by: a forum reader ()
Date: April 05, 2012 08:49AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another FCPS teacher with NO common sense
Posted by: Lefty McWing ()
Date: April 05, 2012 09:00AM

This is absolutely an example of common sense. I see no problem here.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: April 05, 2012 09:18AM

the truth hurts

Posted by: Another Coverup ()
Date: April 05, 2012 09:23AM

"John Torre, a spokesman for the Fairfax County School System, said that the [Democrat controlled] school board did look into the matter but was unable to reach a conclusion."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/05/va-school-teacher-thinks-republicans-are-stupid/#ixzz1rAizOklY

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: April 05, 2012 02:01PM

It sounds from the article like this was not denied by the teacher.

When I taught school, we did not discuss personal views on religion or politics. It is amazing that we can't discuss Christmas but we can plug for a political party? Amazing.

Posted by: usernmae44 ()
Date: April 05, 2012 02:55PM

lol.
did the disable kid looked liKE sARah Palin son?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2012 02:56PM by usernmae44.

Posted by: a parent ()
Date: April 06, 2012 08:20AM

Is FCPS doing anything about this?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 06, 2012 08:35AM

a parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is FCPS doing anything about this?

well, according to the story.........

John Torre, a spokesman for the Fairfax County School System, said that the school board did look into the matter but was unable to reach a conclusion.

“The district has looked into the alleged statements and could not reach any conclusive findings,” Torre told TheDC in an email. “There was an informal discussion about politics between the teacher and students that was not a part of any classroom lesson. There are differing accounts of what may or may not have been said by the participants.”

The county school superintendent’s office later sent all principals a reminder about policies “that regulate employee political activities and the presentation of controversial issues in the classroom.” The principals distributed that information to their teachers.

so yeah.........says they looked into it, couldnt figure out who said what, so they sent out a letter to all involved about their bullshit C.Y.A. policy.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: April 06, 2012 08:36AM

Lefty McWing Wrote:
> This is absolutely an example of common sense. I
> see no problem here.

Yep, sounds like the teacher is spot-on to me.

Posted by: don't hyperventilate ()
Date: April 06, 2012 09:13AM

This is ridiculous. The teacher is going to deny this. The kid is in elementary school and told mom this. How can anyone be sure of what was said? How are they going to investigate? What kind of rag sheet is the "Daily Caller"?

I'm sure the teacher got the message and won't do it again (if this is what she said). What more do people want? The teacher is entitled to her own political views and she made the mistake of saying something (maybe). She's young. She'll learn that parents go ballistic about this stuff.

When you're a teacher, anyone can say anything about anything you say. This could have been the Democratic primary and FCPS would act the same way I am sure. They really don't have some kind of a child abuse case or something here.

Posted by: thats sorta true ()
Date: April 06, 2012 11:22AM

former teacher Wrote:
> It sounds from the article like this was not
> denied by the teacher.
>
> When I taught school, we did not discuss personal
> views on religion or politics. It is amazing that
> we can't discuss Christmas but we can plug for a
> political party? Amazing.

Incorrect. They cannot plug for a political party. They can ONLY plug for Dems. Had she said this about the Dems or Obama they would have fired her and called her a racist.

Posted by: Par for the course ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:10PM

Teachers in general have no common sense.

The entire education system has become infested with liberal, PC-brainwashed morons. This sort of crap happens all the time. They try to indoctrinate the students based on their personal politics, the American Flag is offensive, everything is racist, etc.

Posted by: DoubleStandard ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:17PM

"Had [the Teacher] said [that] the Dems or Obama [are stupid] they would have fired her and called her a racist."

Simply TRUE!

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:20PM

She is emblematic of the kind of self serving trash who infect FCPS.

OF COURSE she is going to rail against the party who may actually push for some cost cutting and austerity measures and of course she is going to do whatever the fuck she can to brainwash students and promote the money wastings Dem's as some kind of righteous saviours.

Let her keep a county job, but demote the twat to picking up trash or being a lunch lady.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: you lie ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:45PM

Last time I voted in the nearby elementary school there were flyers posted on the bulletin boards about voting yes for school bonds. Since the issue was to be voted on I did not think it was right to promote it one way or the other inside the school. I later called the school but was told I must be mistaken they would never post that inside the school especially near the voting booths.

Posted by: Obama ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:46PM

thats sorta true Wrote:
> Incorrect. They cannot plug for a political
> party. They can ONLY plug for Dems. Had she said
> this about the Dems or Obama they would have fired
> her and called her a racist.

If I had a teacher she would look just like this woman.

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: April 06, 2012 12:48PM

Kids generally believe everything a teacher says--right or wrong. Being a teacher is a serious responsibility and a teacher should realize his/her influence.

Posted by: bong bong the free mason man servant ()
Date: April 06, 2012 02:57PM

I believe in boobs.

Posted by: i think teen suicide in fcps is a bigger issue ()
Date: April 06, 2012 02:58PM

i think teen suicide in fcps is a bigger issue

Posted by: i think teen suicide in fcps is a bigger issue ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:03PM

Bickering and ultimatums do nothing to build a community. This kind of apolitical horse doody and PTA whining create the sort of environment where kids are swept under the carpet. Things will not get better for children in the public school system until people realize the true affects of putting the status quo before the psychological safety and well being of the students.

http://oakton.patch.com/articles/students-death-opens-old-wounds-3

Date: April 06, 2012 03:05PM

DoubleStandard Wrote:
> "Had said the Dems or Obama they would have
> fired her and called her a racist."
>
> Simply TRUE!

no.......from what I'd gather, that sorta shit is an everyday occurance and REAL newspapers would just say "screw it, lets focus on real news"

kinda like what "par for the course" said

@don't hyperventilate - you know something, it does seem to be a rag, doesnt it. Just saw the homepage.........................and wel, I know I'd be raked over hot coals from y'all if I used a crap-site like that for info and backup, that's for sure LoLz

Posted by: pe teacher ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:23PM

a forum reader Wrote:
> http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/05/va-school-teache
> r-thinks-republicans-are-stupid/
The teacher has the right to free speech, that right does not go away inside the school. If some parents are too stupid to understand that they should home school their kids or move to a country where the government dictates what people are allowed to say.

Date: April 06, 2012 03:25PM

i think teen suicide in fcps is a bigger issue Wrote:
> Bickering and ultimatums do nothing to build a
> community. This kind of apolitical horse doody and
> PTA whining create the sort of environment where
> kids are swept under the carpet. Things will not
> get better for children in the public school
> system until people realize the true affects of
> putting the status quo before the psychological
> safety and well being of the students.
>
> http://oakton.patch.com/articles/students-death-op
> ens-old-wounds-3

So parents should just say its okay to let their kids literally be brain washed into being liberal so the other kids dont call them stupid or make them outcast and possibly lead to suicide because some teacher thinks its cool to support obama and wants to recruit more votes?

Also saying theyre bigger issues isnt a reason to not deal with a big issue. Its not like someone asked the teacher and they said they were a dem and believe this and this ect. Even if they were asked she responded like she was extremely unintelligent and just flat out lied calling the GOP stupid. If thats the level of intelligence she has she had no business teaching children or anyone for that matter

Posted by: RR ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:25PM

All teachers are liberal union thugs who should be fired and replaced with minimum wage day laborers. Not only will this solve the economic crisis that was entirely caused by teachers and women on birth control, it will allow for further tax cuts for America's downtrodden millionaires. For freedom!

Date: April 06, 2012 03:46PM

pe teacher Wrote:
> a forum reader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/05/va-school-teache
>
> > r-thinks-republicans-are-stupid/
> The teacher has the right to free speech, that
> right does not go away inside the school. If some
> parents are too stupid to understand that they
> should home school their kids or move to a country
> where the government dictates what people are
> allowed to say.

No actually she doesnt have a right to lie to kids and try and brain wash them. Their right to free speech does go away in side the classroom as a result of their employment. You seem to have a very fundamental misunderstanding of how this works. If she wants to attend a rally on the weekend that is protected. Telling kids that republicans are stupid and only dems are good people is in no way shape or form protected

Posted by: response to PE teacher ()
Date: April 06, 2012 03:50PM

PE teacher said:

"The teacher has the right to free speech, that right does not go away inside the school. If some parents are too stupid to understand that they should home school their kids or move to a country where the government dictates what people are allowed to say."

Sorry, that does not fly. This is a public school system and political discussions like this are not appropriate. This is close to political bullying. It is calling people names. It also falls under the classification of propaganda when the teacher is parroting the Democratic storyboard.

Posted by: TheNorthman ()
Date: April 06, 2012 04:35PM

Legally she certainly does have the right to free speech and that does not go away when she enters the class room. She can tell her kids that republicans are stupid all she wants without worry of being arrested by the state's propaganda ministry. But she does not have the right to a job if she takes actions that are against FCPS policies (which evidently this was).

I can walk into work on Monday and exercise my right to free speech by cursing my boss out but I won't have a job after that.

I don't think this woman should be fired based on this one incident. What she did was bad judgment, IMO, but not unforgivable. A stern warning should suffice as long as long as she does not repeat this sort of behavior in the future.

Let's be real, these kids are in 6th grade; they've heard worse. I think she just made herself look dumb more than anybody else.

Posted by: a parent ()
Date: April 06, 2012 05:00PM

Northman,

The kids are ine sixth grade--they still think their teacher is a powerful and smart person. My daughter's sixth grade class thought she knew everything and was right on everything. They loved her--it was almost a cult following. I told her at the end of the year that it was a good thing she was a good person because she was so influential. Those kids would have followed her anywhere. It was almost scary.

That's a lot of influence and power. Far more than you realize.

Growing up in Public School in NOVA
Posted by: Mike Costigan ()
Date: April 06, 2012 05:04PM

I went to William Ramsay Elementary in Alexandria, VA. I'm now twenty-four years old. During that time Clinton was in office and republicans were not quiet about their dislike for him, including my third grade teacher. She mentioned him about once a day, bashing him for this or that, it was never a particular subject, it seemed as though she was just annoyed by him in general. I had no idea what she had against Clinton, or why she disliked him so much. I really had no idea about Clinton or politics in general. I knew he was President at the time. I was interested in the fact that he was on TV, often in commercials and things, that he seemed like a good person. I always wondered why she disliked him so much, but in the end, I didn't really care either.

Years later, in a FCPS middle school I had a teacher who was against all things Republican. Although he didn't seem too concerned about present times, and his subject was far from political, he hated Reagan. He was an old man who could make you laugh and learn while maintaining utmost discipline. He would drone on and on about Reaganomics, whether it was a sly comment here or there or a full blown rant. Again, I didn't care. Sometimes it was amusing. Sometimes amusing. Mostly it was his personality. No one once ever questioned him or his beliefs, probably because they were afraid of his backlashing. But he was a great teacher nonetheless.

In high school I had a music teacher who loved Bush, and would play clips of him and his speeches as they would happen in the media. At the time Bush was still likeable and innocent, and most students (and general public) didn't realize that he really was an idiot. Many of us liked Bush because of that teacher, or at least we thought he was a casual, goofy, normal politician, so that may have appealed to us. He appealed to a lot of the younger crowd in that way. By the end of his second term, no one was laughing.

These examples were experienced by me and probably many other students. I don't think it had any impact on who I am today. I was definitely not brainwashed. I never once thought that, wow, this teacher is so cool, I have to think like her. I either thought for myself, didn't care, or didn't really understand. My point is that there shouldn't be so much controversy about one teacher who made her liberal comments during her class.

Teachers spend up to 8+ hours a day with their students. For them to remember what to say and not to say while being effective educators must be really hard. Let's remember how much FCPS pays teachers - it's not much, especially for young teachers. Let's also remember that we're on a shortage of intelligent, effective teachers with personality, especially in public schools. Think of your best teachers K-12. If anything most of them had one thing in common - a strong personality.

I'm not saying I agree with the teacher or her comments. But I am saying it's wrong for an overprotective parent to react so strongly, it's wrong for us to react in such a hostile manner. And the quickness of the principal who unfortunately has to be liked by parents in order to keep his or her job. Who cares what beliefs teachers may have or not have, they will not pass onto your students. There will be no brainwashing, and if you find your child brainwashed, by all means, complain. In addition to all the funding problems in our education system, we have this unnecessary issue to deal with as well? It makes no sense.

The core of this problem lies in the deep divide of our two parties. Keep your political ears out of your kids' education. People will always have different opinions, politically or whatever, and those people may be teaching your children. If you don't like that, you may as well just homeschool your kids. It makes no sense to fight everyone whose on the other side of the political spectrum. If your mailman wears a political badge, is it time to complain about him too? Maybe he'll brainwash your kids, your dog, and even your freshly-cut lawn, too.

Take it easy, America.

Sometimes, it's just not that serious.

Posted by: surface-to-air missle ()
Date: April 06, 2012 05:18PM

Geez. Stay at home, do-nothing helicopter mothers ruin it for everyone. If only their lives were more meaningful.

Re: Growing up in Public School in NOVA
Posted by: MS--14 ()
Date: April 06, 2012 05:25PM

Mike Costigan Wrote:
> I went to William Ramsay Elementary in Alexandria,
> VA. I'm now twenty-four years old. During that
> time Clinton was in office and republicans were
> not quiet about their dislike for him, including
> my third grade teacher. She mentioned him about
> once a day, bashing him for this or that, it was
> never a particular subject, it seemed as though
> she was just annoyed by him in general. I had no
> idea what she had against Clinton, or why she
> disliked him so much. I really had no idea about
> Clinton or politics in general. I knew he was
> President at the time. I was interested in the
> fact that he was on TV, often in commercials and
> things, that he seemed like a good person. I
> always wondered why she disliked him so much, but
> in the end, I didn't really care either.
>
> Years later, in a FCPS middle school I had a
> teacher who was against all things Republican.
> Although he didn't seem too concerned about
> present times, and his subject was far from
> political, he hated Reagan. He was an old man who
> could make you laugh and learn while maintaining
> utmost discipline. He would drone on and on about
> Reaganomics, whether it was a sly comment here or
> there or a full blown rant. Again, I didn't care.
> Sometimes it was amusing. Sometimes amusing.
> Mostly it was his personality. No one once ever
> questioned him or his beliefs, probably because
> they were afraid of his backlashing. But he was a
> great teacher nonetheless.
>
> In high school I had a music teacher who loved
> Bush, and would play clips of him and his speeches
> as they would happen in the media. At the time
> Bush was still likeable and innocent, and most
> students (and general public) didn't realize that
> he really was an idiot. Many of us liked Bush
> because of that teacher, or at least we thought he
> was a casual, goofy, normal politician, so that
> may have appealed to us. He appealed to a lot of
> the younger crowd in that way. By the end of his
> second term, no one was laughing.
>
> These examples were experienced by me and probably
> many other students. I don't think it had any
> impact on who I am today. I was definitely not
> brainwashed. I never once thought that, wow, this
> teacher is so cool, I have to think like her. I
> either thought for myself, didn't care, or didn't
> really understand. My point is that there
> shouldn't be so much controversy about one teacher
> who made her liberal comments during her class.
>
> Teachers spend up to 8+ hours a day with their
> students. For them to remember what to say and not
> to say while being effective educators must be
> really hard. Let's remember how much FCPS pays
> teachers - it's not much, especially for young
> teachers. Let's also remember that we're on a
> shortage of intelligent, effective teachers with
> personality, especially in public schools. Think
> of your best teachers K-12. If anything most of
> them had one thing in common - a strong
> personality.
>
> I'm not saying I agree with the teacher or her
> comments. But I am saying it's wrong for an
> overprotective parent to react so strongly, it's
> wrong for us to react in such a hostile manner.
> And the quickness of the principal who
> unfortunately has to be liked by parents in order
> to keep his or her job. Who cares what beliefs
> teachers may have or not have, they will not pass
> onto your students. There will be no brainwashing,
> and if you find your child brainwashed, by all
> means, complain. In addition to all the funding
> problems in our education system, we have this
> unnecessary issue to deal with as well? It makes
> no sense.
>
> The core of this problem lies in the deep divide
> of our two parties. Keep your political ears out
> of your kids' education. People will always have
> different opinions, politically or whatever, and
> those people may be teaching your children. If you
> don't like that, you may as well just homeschool
> your kids. It makes no sense to fight everyone
> whose on the other side of the political spectrum.
> If your mailman wears a political badge, is it
> time to complain about him too? Maybe he'll
> brainwash your kids, your dog, and even your
> freshly-cut lawn, too.
>
> Take it easy, America.
>
> Sometimes, it's just not that serious.

TL;DR

Date: April 06, 2012 05:58PM

a parent Wrote:
> Northman,
>
> The kids are ine sixth grade--they still think
> their teacher is a powerful and smart person. My
> daughter's sixth grade class thought she knew
> everything and was right on everything. They loved
> her--it was almost a cult following. I told her
> at the end of the year that it was a good thing
> she was a good person because she was so
> influential. Those kids would have followed her
> anywhere. It was almost scary.
>
> That's a lot of influence and power. Far more
> than you realize.

um..................really?
Do you even remember 6th grade?
I know I do. And Im betting most kids these days are the same way I was.........caring less about what the teacher was saying and more about the opposite sex and whatever pop culture crap is going on.

Power and Influence? I liked Mr Rinker a lot, yeah (my 7th grade science teacher) and he had a lotta charisma, but being cool and teaching a lotta knowledge is a LOT different that some sorta "cult following", yo. I think yr underestimating yr daughter................or yr not parenting enuff one or the other..............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 05:58PM by Gordon Blvd.

Date: April 06, 2012 05:59PM

@MS14 - he says calm down, everyone

:)

Posted by: Mom who cares ()
Date: April 06, 2012 06:07PM

Mike Costigan Wrote:
>
>
>
>
> personality.
>
> no sense.
>
> freshly-cut lawn, too.
>
> Take it easy, America.
>

Mike,

Although I can't fault your third grade teacher for hating Clinton it sounds like you had some terrible teachers growing up. no wonder you are who you are.

Any teacher who uses using my tax dollars to teach my kids how to love Obama is gonna hear it from me. I won't tolerate that, thanks.

Date: April 06, 2012 06:09PM

TheNorthman Wrote:
> Legally she certainly does have the right to free
> speech and that does not go away when she enters
> the class room. She can tell her kids that
> republicans are stupid all she wants without worry
> of being arrested by the state's propaganda
> ministry. But she does not have the right to a
> job if she takes actions that are against FCPS
> policies (which evidently this was).
>
> I can walk into work on Monday and exercise my
> right to free speech by cursing my boss out but I
> won't have a job after that.
>
> I don't think this woman should be fired based on
> this one incident. What she did was bad judgment,
> IMO, but not unforgivable. A stern warning should
> suffice as long as long as she does not repeat
> this sort of behavior in the future.
>
> Let's be real, these kids are in 6th grade;
> they've heard worse. I think she just made
> herself look dumb more than anybody else.

Of course theyve herd worse but to me thats not the issue. The issue is that is shes willing to say that she absolutely lets her beliefs enter her grading. Firing may be an overreaction for one incident but she should be put on a short leash. Those kids are young enough where comments as derogatory and unintelligent as those can have a big effect. If she wants to be in politics she should go into politics, otherwise stick to teaching kids facts

Posted by: Nogoats ()
Date: April 06, 2012 06:18PM

Aren't teachers supposed to teach a curriculum and not vent their partisan bullshit?

She could have said something interesting, and not from the official DNC piss and moan power point bullet items. She just shows how dumb she is.

Posted by: john flag ()
Date: April 06, 2012 07:37PM

I'm a teacher and can't stand the idea of socialism I just don't talk about it.

I like the flag, but go ahead and paint your brush on the largest industry in the county.

When I was hired nobody asked me a single political question, they just wanted to know I had the classes required to teach the subject.

So how it is that ALL TEACHER are politically driven is goofy.

I have a job that pays my bills and I'm good at doing it.

Oh I don't like Republicans either.

I think political infighting simply weakens the country. It's slowing squeezing my profession and trying to drive us like cattle into pockets of like thinking circles. Most teachers I know can't stand the direction we're being politically pushed in.

Date: April 06, 2012 08:00PM

john flag Wrote:
> I'm a teacher and can't stand the idea of
> socialism I just don't talk about it.
>
> I like the flag, but go ahead and paint your brush
> on the largest industry in the county.
>
> When I was hired nobody asked me a single
> political question, they just wanted to know I had
> the classes required to teach the subject.
>
> So how it is that ALL TEACHER are politically
> driven is goofy.
>
> I have a job that pays my bills and I'm good at
> doing it.
>
> Oh I don't like Republicans either.
>
> I think political infighting simply weakens the
> country. It's slowing squeezing my profession and
> trying to drive us like cattle into pockets of
> like thinking circles. Most teachers I know can't
> stand the direction we're being politically pushed
> in.

All teachers arent politically driven goof balls. Theres lots of very good teachers and a lot of teachers that are passionate politically that stay quite in class or will have meaningful discussions respecting opinions from both sides.

The problem is there is a decent sized segment that is very vocal (usually liberal and more college professors than younger teachers) about their views that do say things like that that get all the attention. That segment has become large enough to make it a noticeable problem.

I remember in college I had a lot of very liberal professors. Some were very good and would respect differing opinions for meaningful discussions, some were just interested in trying to brainwash you to how they think. As with anything you have to take it on a case by case basis. Generally speaking the younger the students the more egregious the offense is

Posted by: jmu dad ()
Date: April 07, 2012 08:34AM

It's funny how right wingers will speak out against political correctness until someone speaks out against them. The teacher was voicing her opinion. It's up to the parents to to influence their kids the way they see fit. If this teacher had said something negative about Obama the parent would have likely given the teacher a wink and a thumbs up.

Posted by: to jmu parent ()
Date: April 07, 2012 09:11AM

"It's funny how right wingers will speak out against political correctness until someone speaks out against them. The teacher was voicing her opinion. It's up to the parents to to influence their kids the way they see fit. If this teacher had said something negative about Obama the parent would have likely given the teacher a wink and a thumbs up"

And the rest would have cried "racism".......If the teacher had criticized Obama, she would probably have been put on admin leave until they could fire her.

Date: April 07, 2012 09:26AM

a parent Wrote:
> Is FCPS doing anything about this?

I heard they are going to hire this gentleman to teach that very same class.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: April 07, 2012 09:46AM

jmu dad Wrote:
> It's funny how right wingers will speak out
> against political correctness until someone speaks
> out against them.

No teacher should be expressing political opinions during a class. No teacher who does so should be defended for doing it.

> The teacher was voicing her
> opinion. It's up to the parents to to influence
> their kids the way they see fit.

The first is what Facebook and Chantilly's Backyard Grill are for, not what an audience of sixth graders is for. The second is correct and they shouldn't have to additionally have to compete with teachers.

Posted by: FCPS graduate2 ()
Date: April 07, 2012 11:02AM

Mike Costigan Wrote:
>
>
>
>
> personality.
>
> no sense.
>
> freshly-cut lawn, too.
>
> Take it easy, America.
>

That was a great post Mike. Things in life are rarely 1's or 0's. You have lots of common sense clearly. Sometimes we all need to calm down.

Posted by: go back to school ()
Date: April 07, 2012 11:19AM

pe teacher Wrote:
> The teacher has the right to free speech, that
> allowed to say.

Wrong. I am sure it is in the school directives that she is not allowed to teach/recruit her personal political views to the kids while in class. Outside on the sidewalk and not on school property she can run her yap all day long. If she believes this too restrictive she is welcome to quit.

I hope PE is all you teach and not government.

Posted by: joe schmo ()
Date: April 07, 2012 11:29AM

Most teachers especially in Fairfax are hard core liberals. In high school they had mommy and daddy supply them with the latest cell phone, car and clothes. They then go to another sheltered life called college where mom and dad continue to provide their every need. Their darling child will not be sullied with getting a job while in school. They graduate from college and get a job in a school, another sheltered atmosphere.

They rarely come into contact with the real world having spent their entire adult life in an academic setting. They believe everyone is a victim of something sinister and only the government can set things right.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: April 07, 2012 12:12PM

I don't have a problem if she wants to say she's a Democrat and explain why. Where the line should be drawn is the "Republican are stupid" comment. If she'd said gays are stupid or Muslims are stupid, she'd have been disciplined far more harshly. But no one had a problem with this kind of bigoted statement beyond the idea that she was talking politics to twelve year olds in a math class.

That's the real issue.

Date: April 07, 2012 12:20PM

@Brian - yo bro.................if you really feel being Republican/Democrat/whathaveyou is the same as your sexuality or yr religion..................my man, if you truly feel that way, you need to sit your ass down and have a drink.

Your political stance should NOT be as important to you as your religion or as your chioce of sexuality. That's kinda nuts.

That's the real issue.

Was the teach wrong - sure. But more like on the level of saying "ppl from Prince William County are stupid" or talking about how the Chargers or Wildcats are stupid (I think Powell kids become Bulldogs, am I right)

But that's why ppl arent really up in arms about it. It's not the same level of "bigotry", if you will. I dont really think you can be a bigot about politix, my friend..........just opinionated.

Date: April 07, 2012 12:39PM

Sure you can be a bigot about politics - if you honestly think that anyone who is a Republican is stupid, that's not really different than saying the same kinds of things about any other group. It's clearly not true, and it demonstrates your intolerance for the other side.

It's one of the reasons why politics is so divisive nowadays. Rather than simply admit that Republicans disagree on how to solve the problems we all face, it's easier to just right all of us off as simply being to ignorant to understand why we're wrong. There's no reason for that kind of behavior. I can disagree with a Democrat without being disagreeable.

Hell, I spent plenty of time campaigning out front of Powell - if Martin really wanted to talk politics she could have come out and talked to me.

I've talked to plenty of opinionated folks who don't resort to calling me stupid for disagreeing with them. That's the issue as I see it here. She could have said everything else she said and it wouldn't have bothered me. It was the characterization that crossed the line, at least to me.

Posted by: Nogoats ()
Date: April 07, 2012 06:40PM

This dumb fucking teacher rattling this off to elementary school students, is totally out of line. This isn't some high school civics class where this can be in the context of discussion. This is some stupid dumbass teacher rattling her opinion to students who are forced to have to listen to her bullshit, and probably don't understand what the hell she is talking about.

If she had any gusto she'd make this statement to people her own age or seniors in high school. The problem is someone might refute her statement, and that twat might actually have to explain herself.

Since this dumb cunt has a captive audience who she knows won't challenge what she says, she rattles her partisan nonsense. Typical liberal. Saying what she is saying, sheltered in the knowledge that no one will refute what she says and ask for logic or facts.

I'd say the same thing if some dumb teacher said democrats are stupid. The audience is not the correct audience for such things.

Date: April 07, 2012 06:56PM

@Brian - I"m not trying to br intolerant. My politix have nothing to do with this, and would completely feel the same way about all this if she felt Democrats were stupid. I dont see your political beliefs as something that is so a part of you that you can never change it, therefore it defines who you are for life.

I'd be tearing the teach a new one if she was calling out a group of ppl cause of who they are (i.e they were born that way), but aint you werent born a republican, bro - it's not who you are.

And if for whatever reason you feel it it, then I you are kinda more the reason for that "divisive" vibe you feel.

I mean, just using the words you said to me. Just cause I disagree with you, you id'd me as intolerant and I'm like "Where'd that come from?" cause for me, politix isnt even the problem here - could care less about demo/repub on this issue and you can look back on all I've written - aint nothing supporting one side or the other on this. All I've said is that a) FCPS cant figure out what was said if all the kids cant/wont agree and b) Most kids could really care less about what the teacher says when they are 12.

You shouldnt let being called stupid for how you feel get to you that much. It isnt as important as being called stupid for WHO YOU ARE

think about it, bro.

Date: April 07, 2012 07:10PM

I'm not saying you're intolerant, GB. I'm saying she is based on what she said. Yes, people pick their politics, but they pick their religions too. You don't think this would have been national news if she we telling a bunch of twelve year olds that Muslims are stupid? When I was saying "you" I was speaking generically. Not at you. My bad.

My other point is that she's not a regular person talking to her own kids. She's in a position of public trust. She should know better than to say something like that, regardless of which group she was targeting. I just think it's a bigoted thing to say, but because it's politics she will get nothing more than a verbal reprimand.

This isn't personal. I could care less what she calls me personally. I just think it shows a bad lack of judgment and an intolerant attitude. That's it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 07:12PM by BrianSchoeneman.

Posted by: curious reader ()
Date: April 08, 2012 07:43AM

Why don't the local papers report on this?

Posted by: what a waste ()
Date: April 08, 2012 07:46AM

She should be FIRED! Next she will tell the children which religion is stupid and

which race of people is stupid! She does not speak for all teachers only the

stupid ones

Posted by: Here's an IDEA ()
Date: April 08, 2012 09:30AM

I've got an idea. Why doesn't everyone home school your own children? then you won't need to constantly bash teachers. You have them, you educate them and then they'll be clones of YOU!

Posted by: teacher76 ()
Date: April 08, 2012 09:47AM

Freedom of speech. It's that simple. Whether you choose to agree or disagree. Proper parenting would teach this child that everyone has their own opinions and it was wrong for the teacher to not respect the opposing view. Was the teacher insensitive? Yes. Did the teacher break any rules or laws. No.

Posted by: Reality Checker ()
Date: April 08, 2012 10:41AM

joe schmo Wrote:
> Most teachers especially in Fairfax are hard core
> liberals. In high school they had mommy and daddy
> supply them with the latest cell phone, car and
> clothes. They then go to another sheltered life
> called college where mom and dad continue to
> provide their every need. Their darling child will
> not be sullied with getting a job while in school.
> They graduate from college and get a job in a
> school, another sheltered atmosphere.
>
> They rarely come into contact with the real world
> having spent their entire adult life in an
> academic setting. They believe everyone is a
> victim of something sinister and only the
> government can set things right.

Biggest bullshit post ever. Most FCPS teachers were middle-class students who attended JMU or GMU, or some state college in PA or OH and moved down here because there aren't enough jobs there. When they get here, they find out how expensive it is, and often end up working 2-3 jobs to pay the bills. They aren't necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed, but trust fund babies they aren't.

Date: April 08, 2012 10:42AM

teacher76 Wrote:
> Freedom of speech. It's that simple. Whether you
> choose to agree or disagree. Proper parenting
> would teach this child that everyone has their own
> opinions and it was wrong for the teacher to not
> respect the opposing view. Was the teacher
> insensitive? Yes. Did the teacher break any rules
> or laws. No.

I agree 76. The teacher was acting stupid but we all need to let it go. My sister lives in S. Carolina and the teachers at the public schools there tell the kids how anyone who is against the confederate flag is stupid and racist.
Teachers have their own opinions just like cab drivers do. It's up to the parents to help their kids digest it all.

Posted by: JMU parent is wrong ()
Date: April 08, 2012 12:12PM

FCPS teachers are not supposed to influence kids politically. This is policy and the teacher went against it.

The teachers are hired to TEACH. Can you imagine what would happen if we allowed all teachers to do this? It is called propaganda. We would have a mess if teachers were allowed to express political opinions in this manner.

JMU dad is trying to change the subject. If your sister's SC kids are being told that kids are racist and stupid (which I seriously doubt) then she should report them. I'm sure the newspapers would report that.....

I do not know how old the teacher at Powell is. I would guess that she is young--and probably not too smart. She certainly has no common sense. She needs to be corrected and told why it is inappropriate. And, for one thing, I would never have told my kids that their teacher was "stupid" for fear it would undermine her authority. My telling kids that Republicans are stupid, she is undermining the authority of kids with Republican parents.

Posted by: wa po popo ()
Date: April 08, 2012 12:31PM

curious reader Wrote:
> Why don't the local papers report on this?

I think this is not newsworthy. Teachers express their opinions all the time.
If they did a story maybe the headline would read "Local right wing Mom wants county schools to suspend teachers rights"

Posted by: the best and brightest don't need to do this ()
Date: April 08, 2012 03:31PM

When I was a teacher, kids would ask me all the time---"who are you voting for?" "What is your religion?" Etc. I tried really hard not to tell them, but they badgered constantly about this stuff. Once I told them my husband was driving a truck with some equipment in it to another state. A few months later I mentioned that my husband is a scientist and they said, "No way! You told us he was a truck driver!" They were very upset since in their minds being a truck driver was a way cooler thing to be. I ended up telling them who I voted for, but I was always careful to tell them why and why people might vote for the other candidate as well. You can't stop being a person when you are a teacher and, in fact, the kids want a real person in front of them. I think the teacher in question here definitely should not have used the word "stupid". However, I don't think it's wrong for her to explain her views if she is very careful about it and acknowledges that there are other views that are valid as well. We can't really deny our humanity. Kids are going to be forever curious about the adults around them and that is not a bad thing. Also, parents might want to control their kids' minds, but sooner or later, the kids have to think for themselves. Use of words like stupid is definitely bad. The teacher has hopefully learned something. My biggest fear these days is that bright, thoughtful people are not choosing teaching as a profession. We need to find out why that is happening and make the changes needed to get those people into classrooms. I don't think the answer is to evaluate teachers based on standardized tests. NCLB has not made anyone want to be a teacher---it is having the opposite effect. The quality just keeps getting worse.

Date: April 08, 2012 03:42PM

Im not sure where everyone gets the idea that the teacher has some right to be able to say whatever she wants and express her views in any way she wants in the class room but it couldnt be further from the truth

Posted by: teachers shouldn't editorialize ()
Date: April 08, 2012 03:46PM

From what I read, the teacher made a statement that was extremely inappropriate. It does not sound like she was trying to get the children to "think", she was merely expressing her opinion in absolute terms: Republicans are stupid, Democrats do more for people.

This is propaganda. In my own opinion, both parties want what they think is best for the American people. However,they have different approaches and different agendas. And, yes, they have different views on what works.

It is funny that any criticism of Obama brings out the "racism"charge. People forget how Bush was demonized and called names that were much worse.

The fact is that it is against FCPS policy to express political opinions in this manner and the teacher should have known it.

FCPS requires that textbooks be reviewed and I think they also require library books to be reviewed before they are used in classrooms. One of the reasons is to prevent "slant".

The teacher didn't just say who she voted for (which I would have dodged at that moment had I been in her position). The better response would have been to have said that the Republicans are having a primary to choose their candidate, but since Obama is running unopposed in the Democratic party there is no primary for him. Enough said. There was no need for any editorial comment.

Posted by: Muslum teacher ()
Date: April 08, 2012 04:30PM

Dont knock Obama he is GOD to me. I teach in FCPS schools and we are told to tell

the students that the Democrat way of life is the right way. So what if I am

Muslum, I can teach just as good as the next person. "The fact is that it is

against FCPS policy to express political opinions" this is BS....what the parents

dont know is best. We are here

to mold the children in the best way to live

Posted by: Muslum? ()
Date: April 08, 2012 05:38PM

Muslum teacher Wrote:
> Dont knock Obama he is GOD to me. I teach in FCPS
> schools and we are told to tell
>
> the students that the Democrat way of life is the
> right way. So what if I am
>
> Muslum, I can teach just as good as the next
> person. "The fact is that it is
>
> against FCPS policy to express political opinions"
> this is BS....what the parents
>
> dont know is best. We are here
>
> to mold the children in the best way to live

Good God. If you are going to try to bait people into a response, then try not to be so obvious about it and learn to spell.

Posted by: sgirl ()
Date: April 09, 2012 04:22PM

This is nothing new. I have had six children go through elementry,middle and high school in Fairfax County. Many times my children brought home stories about teachers speaking their political views in the classroom. Chantilly HS. Most of the time the comments were pro Democrat and very negative about conservative thinking.

Date: April 09, 2012 06:54PM

@sgirl - maybe yr kids were just making it up to get yr goat LoLz
@Muslum - c'mon now - it's obvious that post is like from an 8 yr old trying to troll
@Brian & teachers - we dont even know if what we have read is even what the teacher ACTUALLY said. County investigated this and found nothing substantial and that's kinda my point. You shouldnt be worked up over someone who MAY have said something that isnt even what was reported. And ESPECIALLY if it is about politix since it's always such a hot button issue.
@Brian - it's all good. And yr right about ppl picking and choosing religions (didnt even think about that LoLz) but I still just think religion and race are different levels than politix. I guess I just feel religion just becomes more a "part" of you than political beliefs. I think your love of God should be stronger than yr love of a point of view, is all. But that's just an opinion, of which I seem to have plenty 'o =)

pic unrelated
Attachments:
neil patrick and elmo.gif

Date: April 09, 2012 09:01PM

does anyone know who the teacher is? does she have a facebook page?

Posted by: Goose and Gander ()
Date: April 09, 2012 09:35PM

Does anyone know who the parent is and the kid? The accusers should also be made public. We need to know all of it. Both sides.

Date: April 09, 2012 09:40PM

Goose and Gander Wrote:
> Does anyone know who the parent is and the kid?
> The accusers should also be made public. We need
> to know all of it. Both sides.

No exposing the child is the dumbest idea ever and in violation of several laws. But I guess you would rather persecute a 12 year old then hold a teacher accountable for saying something that you agree with

Posted by: Education is for Liberal Pussies ()
Date: April 09, 2012 10:01PM

Tax payers pay for this shit? What would you fuck liberals says if a teacher exposed her class to religious views? Bet you would want her fired, right shit heads?

Posted by: fcps teach ()
Date: April 10, 2012 06:58AM

Education is for Liberal Pussies Wrote:
> Tax payers pay for this shit? What would you fuck
> liberals says if a teacher exposed her class to
> religious views? Bet you would want her fired,
> right shit heads?

That shitt happens every single day

Posted by: nonsense ()
Date: April 10, 2012 08:07AM

response to PE teacher Wrote:
> PE teacher said:
>
> "The teacher has the right to free speech, that
> allowed to say."
>
>
> Sorry, that does not fly. This is a public school
> system and political discussions like this are not
> appropriate. This is close to political bullying.
> It is calling people names. It also falls under
> the classification of propaganda when the teacher
> is parroting the Democratic storyboard.

It also doesn't fly because the second sentence makes no sense. It starts as an "if/then" statement, but there is no "then".

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 10, 2012 08:12AM

Education is for Liberal Pussies Wrote:

I think the name says it all. Acquiring knowledge and learning how to process and use it is what the education process is about. Who needs that when we can simply blindly follow the rantings of OUR BELOVED LEADER, whether he be some right wing nutjob on talk radio or some left wing loonie. Isolate, Indoctrinate, keep Ignorant of all that doesn't fit your agenda-the keys to any successful cult.

Date: April 10, 2012 08:23PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Education is for Liberal Pussies Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> I think the name says it all. Acquiring knowledge
> and learning how to process and use it is what the
> education process is about. Who needs that when
> we can simply blindly follow the rantings of OUR
> BELOVED LEADER, whether he be some right wing
> nutjob on talk radio or some left wing loonie.
> Isolate, Indoctrinate, keep Ignorant of all that
> doesn't fit your agenda-the keys to any successful
> cult.

Thanks Bill, that makes good sense.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.