HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where do you buy your ammo?
Posted by: Courtley Malloy ()
Date: March 16, 2012 08:43AM

Who has good supply/prices on ammo in FFX area? Walmart? Dicks? Gun stores?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where do you buy your ammo?
Posted by: Nogoats ()
Date: March 16, 2012 09:12AM

http://www.natchezss.com/ for HP home stuff or target FMJ when there is a deal, otherwise walmart.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: March 16, 2012 09:23AM

I usually go to Dicks if I'm not buying at the range.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 16, 2012 09:30AM

walmart's cheap or cheaperthandirt.com or palmettostatearmory.com

Posted by: Undertaker ()
Date: March 16, 2012 10:06AM

cheaperthandirt.com or ammunitiontogo.com (bulk orders) Walmart if you're looking for smaller orders or want it now (but it has a limited selection)

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: March 16, 2012 10:08AM

Gun Store Ammo: usually has a 50% mark up on price, taking advantage of people who are unaware of how much it really costs.

Dicks Ammo: cheaper than buying it at a gun store, still a little pricey just for range ammo.

Walmart: a great place to buy ammo, usually around $9 bucks a box of 50 9mm.

Posted by: heads up ()
Date: March 16, 2012 11:19AM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Walmart: a great place to buy ammo, usually around
> $9 bucks a box of 50 9mm.

FYI the fairfax city ammo prices are much higher than normal walmart pries unless they adjusted it.

Cabelas.com has solid prices too and sometimes has a real good deal. You can earn money back through their rewards and they have 2 dollar shipping going on right now too

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: March 16, 2012 11:47AM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> Gun Store Ammo: usually has a 50% mark up on
> price, taking advantage of people who are unaware
> of how much it really costs.

This depends on the store, VA Arms is usually reasonable. Buying at a range is usually a horrible deal. But yeah Wal Mart or online is the way to go. Sometimes Dicks has decent sales, and when combined with manufacturer rebates can be pretty good.

I don't know how Blue Ridge is now, but they got even ruder than usual when you brought your own ammo and targets.

Date: March 16, 2012 11:50AM

justsayin Wrote:

> This depends on the store, VA Arms is usually
> reasonable. Buying at a range is usually a
> horrible deal. But yeah Wal Mart or online is the
> way to go. Sometimes Dicks has decent sales, and
> when combined with manufacturer rebates can be
> pretty good.
>
> I don't know how Blue Ridge is now, but they got
> even ruder than usual when you brought your own
> ammo and targets.

Dicks is good too when you have rewards cupons but their ammo has gotten pretty pricy now. Last week a box of .45 was running about 27 bucks, probably more a reflection of shortages and brass going up than anything.

Blue Ridge is the absolute worst. The guys that work there for the most part are complete dicks and think they are better than you because they work there and their prices are extremely high. Their gun prices are even worse. Happened to be there with a friend who was looking for something and they wanted around a grand for a sig 229

Date: March 16, 2012 12:16PM

Yeah I don't even bother with stores anymore though VA Arms is the occasional exception when gas prices aren't high. It's a lot cheaper to order online and become a regular of an FFL holder.

Date: March 16, 2012 12:29PM

justsayin Wrote:
> VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gun Store Ammo: usually has a 50% mark up on
> > price, taking advantage of people who are
> unaware
> > of how much it really costs.
>
> pretty good.
>
> ammo and targets.

You are correct. I was referring to Blue Ridge, whose staff talk to you like you're an idiot and charge a fucking arm/leg for a box of 50 9mm.

Date: March 16, 2012 12:41PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:

> You are correct. I was referring to Blue Ridge,
> whose staff talk to you like you're an idiot and
> charge a fucking arm/leg for a box of 50 9mm.

Is it just me or every time you go to Blue Ridge it seems like what they charge you is more than the listed prices they have

Date: March 16, 2012 12:48PM

heads up Wrote:
> VA Phins Fan Wrote:
>
> > You are correct. I was referring to Blue
> Ridge,
> > whose staff talk to you like you're an idiot
> and
> > charge a fucking arm/leg for a box of 50 9mm.
>
> Is it just me or every time you go to Blue Ridge
> it seems like what they charge you is more than
> the listed prices they have

Yeah dude, fuck Blue Ridge. I had a membership for their range, and cancelled it during their renovations, because it was either hot as a motherfucker inside or one side was closed. They ended up treating me so poorly and talking down to me when I went in to cancel. I will never use their range again.

Date: March 16, 2012 12:53PM

VA Phins Fan Wrote:

> Yeah dude, fuck Blue Ridge. I had a membership
> for their range, and cancelled it during their
> renovations, because it was either hot as a
> motherfucker inside or one side was closed. They
> ended up treating me so poorly and talking down to
> me when I went in to cancel. I will never use
> their range again.

I will never go there again either. Last time I went I rented a revolver I was thinking of getting and a Deseret Eagle just to try it out for fun. Both guns broke while I was shooting them and of course no refund was given and now I still have some desert eagle ammo I will never use because of it.

The fat guy with the mustache was the worst when I went. Just complete dick, treated you like you were an idiot, and would try and make up rules you were violating.

I love how now if you shoot the metal clip holding the target by accident they charge you 20 bucks for a 50 cent piece of metal. I almost want to go there and shoot the clips just to annoy them and leave a pile of them on the table they can replace it with

Posted by: Gunrunner ()
Date: March 16, 2012 03:32PM

Chantilly Gun Show.Everyone else is waaaaaaay to expensive.

Date: March 16, 2012 03:39PM

Gunrunner Wrote:
> Chantilly Gun Show.Everyone else is waaaaaaay to
> expensive.

You can get some good ammo deals there. I believe its the GA Arms table sells 500 round ammo boxes of 40 for 150 and 45 for 170.

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: March 16, 2012 04:27PM

CERT does not use guns, that is for police

Posted by: ammo advise ()
Date: March 16, 2012 05:36PM

stay away from gun shops, all their ammo is over priced, including va arms. if you want to buy it in person, walmart is your best bet. if you can wait for it, cheaperthandirt.com and a few others often have good prices on .223/5.56, 9mm, and .40 ammo. sometimes paying the shipping is cheaper in the long run. all ammo has got expensive, but look for the deals online by buying in bulk. thats how you buy cheap. be careful buying ammo at a gun show. some of those guys sell reloaded ammo and say its new. all they are doing is reloading it using the same cases they already fired once, and put it in the original box it came from. becareful what you buy at gunshows, because you get what you pay for.

Posted by: walmart ()
Date: March 16, 2012 05:53PM

Where is Walmart? I've only seen one in my entire life outside of philly. It had some ammo. Does the Walmart here sell .40 SW and 7.62 NATO/308 Win? I suppose odd stuff like .303 British and 7.62x54R will have to be from an online place, right? I haven't seen the last two even at ranges, so I can't really bring my Enfield or Mosin Nagant unless I have my own ammo.

Posted by: Bellot ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:20PM

Even the bulk online ammo stores aren't all that much better than buying local at Walmart.

Posted by: itchy ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:46PM

www.ammoman.com. prices include shipping. I buy it by the pallet and get really good prices on 5.56, 7.62x39,7.62x51, .50 BMG. for exotic calibers I order straight from the manufacturer and reload.

Posted by: gundude ()
Date: March 16, 2012 06:50PM

any 7.62x54R tards here?

Looked at cheaper than dirt, huge price differences. I remember buying Wolf brand from them in the mid 90s and it was less than 10 bucks a box, now it's 19. There's some other russian brand thats 9 a box. It says its non corrosive. Is there a huge huge difference other than the grain amount 180 vs. 140something?

I'm not a competitive shooter. Is it safe?

Posted by: shooter ()
Date: March 16, 2012 07:10PM

NOt sure what gun you are shooting, but I stay away from that woolf ammo. Some of it has steel casings, and I was told not to shoot steel cased rounds out of my ar15. ak47 would be ok, but when it comes to the thousands of dollars I have into my ar15, ill spend a few extra dollars for decent ammo. Wolf ammo was alot cheaper than $10 a box back in the 90's. you can still buy it for $10 or less a box, but like I said, I wont shoot it out of my guns. Walmart sells umc (remington) ammo and the price it not bad. depends on what kind of gun you want ammo for, and what type of bullets (hp,fmj,sp.....). .22, 9mm, .40, .223/5.56, and .45 are the most commons calibers of ammo you will find. exotic stuff will cost more

Date: March 16, 2012 07:14PM

I get the Russian and Romanian surplus 7.62x54R in the 440-count ammo cans. If you buy 7.62x54R and they say it is non-corrosive treat your post-range cleanup as if it is corrosive. I believe new-manufacture Winchester when they say it is non-corrosive but no one else. Just send some window washer cleaner down the barrel as step one in your cleaning process when you are done shooting, that will absorb the corrosive materials.

Posted by: gundude ()
Date: March 16, 2012 07:14PM

shooter Wrote:
> NOt sure what gun you are shooting, but I stay
> away from that woolf ammo. Some of it has steel
> casings, and I was told not to shoot steel cased
> rounds out of my ar15. ak47 would be ok, but when
> it comes to the thousands of dollars I have into
> my ar15, ill spend a few extra dollars for decent
> ammo. Wolf ammo was alot cheaper than $10 a box
> back in the 90's. you can still buy it for $10 or
> less a box, but like I said, I wont shoot it out
> of my guns. Walmart sells umc (remington) ammo and
> the price it not bad. depends on what kind of gun
> you want ammo for, and what type of bullets
> (hp,fmj,sp.....). .22, 9mm, .40, .223/5.56, and
> .45 are the most commons calibers of ammo you will
> find. exotic stuff will cost more

It's a Mosin Nagant M44. I'm not a very proficient shooter. Not a particularly valuable gun either, i think paid $75 for it. Is it safe? And it's not even Wolf, it's a much cheaper brand, that was at wolf prices. I just can't justify spending $22 for a box of 20 when that's only a couple minutes worth of shooting when I could get a box of that other russian brand for 9 bucks a box of 20. I'll clean the gun. Just value my life/safety.

Date: March 16, 2012 07:22PM

gundude Wrote:
> any 7.62x54R tards here?
>
> Looked at cheaper than dirt, huge price
> differences. I remember buying Wolf brand from
> them in the mid 90s and it was less than 10 bucks
> a box, now it's 19. There's some other russian
> brand thats 9 a box. It says its non corrosive. Is
> there a huge huge difference other than the grain
> amount 180 vs. 140something?
>
> I'm not a competitive shooter. Is it safe?

As long as your Mosin Nagant is in good shape and the manufacture date of the ammo is not before WWII you'll be okay. I'll take old surplus ammo over Wolf any day. Dont be afraid to fire corrosive ammo, just clean your rifle when you return from the range. Moisture can react with the residue from the burdan primed corrosive rounds and eat your rifle, but good old soap and water wash, drying, then bore cleaner and lube and you're good.

Date: March 16, 2012 07:29PM

And justsayin is right about the windex or amonia based products too. I use soapy water and a hot water rinse so when I add bore cleaner I dont get toxic fumes from another chemical reaction with ammonia.

Posted by: el-kabong ()
Date: March 16, 2012 07:52PM

vaguntrader.com
always someone unloading ammo on there, usually local.

if you are going to really stockpile, georgia arms at the chantilly gunshow. but you have to buy a case or two to make it worthwhile. go onon friday whennight they open, and bring a handcart with you if you do that.

corrosive ammo is fine. especially if you have a chrome lined barrel. To make the ammo more reliable, potassium chlorate is used in the primer. this leaves a fine residue of potassium chloride, which is a salt similar to table salt. the potassium chloride attracts water, which rusts out your barrel. the ammo itself will not harm your rifle. poor maintenance will.

ammoman
Posted by: biker ()
Date: March 16, 2012 07:54PM

ammoman.com

Orderin the morning and delivered to your frontdoor next day.

natchezss - ok, lots of other stuff than ammo

cheaperthandirt.com - sometimes ok

Posted by: ¿¿¿¿ ()
Date: March 16, 2012 08:07PM

walmart Wrote:
> Where is Walmart? I've only seen one in my entire
> life outside of philly. It had some ammo. Does the
> Walmart here sell .40 SW and 7.62 NATO/308 Win? I
> suppose odd stuff like .303 British and 7.62x54R
> will have to be from an online place, right? I
> haven't seen the last two even at ranges, so I
> can't really bring my Enfield or Mosin Nagant
> unless I have my own ammo.

Seriously? You apparently can navigate the internet well enough to find this forum; but, yet you can't figure out how to find your local Walmart? Its called www.walmart.com...there should be a store locater somewhere on that page!

Date: March 16, 2012 08:31PM

itchy Wrote:
> And justsayin is right about the windex or amonia
> based products too. I use soapy water and a hot
> water rinse so when I add bore cleaner I dont get
> toxic fumes from another chemical reaction with
> ammonia.

Actually I wasn't talking about Windex, I should have been clearer. I was talking about the jugs of auto windshield window washer fluid you can buy for cheap. I don't think there is any ammonia in that. Even if you use a Windex-like glass cleaner fluid, there are varieties with no ammonia.

gundude, if you buy smaller lots of ammo you are going to pay more unfortunately, but whatever you buy should be fine as far as safety is concerned. I pay a little less than a quarter a round for 7.62x54R, but I buy it in big ammo cans that need a can opener and probably sat in an eastern-blok warehouse for decades. Never had a problem with it. I have heard some say avoid ammo that has a green casing. Mine all have gold-colored casing, I haven't use the green or silver (steel) stuff. But it sounds like you aren't putting hundreds of rounds a week through it so I seriously doubt it would make a difference for your purposes.

Date: March 16, 2012 08:38PM

gundude Wrote:
> any 7.62x54R tards here?
>
> Looked at cheaper than dirt, huge price
> differences. I remember buying Wolf brand from
> them in the mid 90s and it was less than 10 bucks
> a box, now it's 19. There's some other russian
> brand thats 9 a box. It says its non corrosive. Is
> there a huge huge difference other than the grain
> amount 180 vs. 140something?
>
> I'm not a competitive shooter. Is it safe?

For just the grain and grain alone no theres not a big difference when it comes to the range. You may be more accurate with 1 over the other but its just the weight of the bullet which will affect its speed and hitting power. Since you arent using it to shoot anything the paper target will be shredded just as good with either.

Lower grain = faster round, more recoil

Posted by: Brown Bess ()
Date: March 16, 2012 10:49PM

Using Windex to clean your gun after shooting corrosive ammo or black powder is basically a myth. The reason it works has nothing to do with ammonia. It works because Windex is mostly just water which washes away the corrosive salts.

Posted by: Ed Brown ()
Date: March 17, 2012 08:09AM

I use numerous online ammo dealers because the prices change on a daily basis. Many times, my decision is based on the shipping costs. There are some places that give free shipping when you buy cases of anything, others that give you free shipping on target ammo only. I am always checking the sites to see who's got what I want on sale, then if I have the money, I will buy as much as I can afford if the price is right. I just purchased 2,000 rounds of Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ from Natchez's for less than $700.00, delivered to my door in two days -- in this case, I had to pay shipping, but the price of the ammo was so good, it was worth it. I have paid less for American Eagle (Federal) at www.targetsportsusa.com, which I don't like as much as the Sellier & Bellot, but the price was right and no other ammo that I like at any of the other places came anywhere close in price -- www.targetsportsusa.com gives free shipping on all case purchases.

Posted by: tea leaves ()
Date: March 17, 2012 09:20AM

No one around here, they are all $$$$. Cabelas and Bass Pro, if you catch them at the right time, buy in bulk and save huge amounts.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: March 17, 2012 11:44AM

justsayin Wrote:
> VA Phins Fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gun Store Ammo: usually has a 50% mark up on
> > price, taking advantage of people who are
> unaware
> > of how much it really costs.
>
> pretty good.
>
> ammo and targets.

+1 on VA Arms

As far as online shopping, Able Ammo is the best site to order from.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: Ed Brown ()
Date: March 17, 2012 12:39PM

eesh Wrote: "As far as online shopping, Able Ammo is the best site to order from."

Like I said, there are many to order from, but very rarely is Able Ammo the best place. Able is one of the suppliers I include in my daily searches and only twice in the last year or so have they had any pistol ammo that could be bought cheaper than any of the others I use, and both times I used special catalog codes to get the deals.

Their customer service is good, but not any really better than the others.

They are certainly not the best -- they are always one of the many to consider, though.

Posted by: Attn Walmart Shoppers ()
Date: April 01, 2012 08:36AM

Sounds like Walmart is the cheapest local place to buy ammo. Was in the new Fairfax Walmart yesterday looking for 9mm and saw they had the 50-rnd box of Federal ($12), 100-rnd white box of Winchester ($24), and 250-rnd box of Remington UMC ($60) - all the same price per round. Any recommendation for one of these over the others, or are they all pretty much the same?

Posted by: heads uo ()
Date: April 01, 2012 09:44AM

Attn Walmart Shoppers Wrote:
> Sounds like Walmart is the cheapest local place to
> buy ammo. Was in the new Fairfax Walmart
> yesterday looking for 9mm and saw they had the
> 50-rnd box of Federal ($12), 100-rnd white box of
> Winchester ($24), and 250-rnd box of Remington UMC
> ($60) - all the same price per round. Any
> recommendation for one of these over the others,
> or are they all pretty much the same?

theyre all going to be basically the same for that. there may be some weight differences but all the same really

Posted by: I'm a total beginner ()
Date: April 01, 2012 05:09PM

Where should I go shoot? I am already signed up for CCW class next week but hope to buy time Tuesday since I have the day off to at least have someone show me proper technique so I dont walk into class cold.

Thanks!

Posted by: Jenny M ()
Date: April 01, 2012 06:52PM

If you aren't already a member - Join NRA - you can then get a card to use the indoor after passing a test that my 10 year old passed. It's an indoor 50 yard range on Waples Mill Road in Fairfax and we have never been in there when it has been overly crowded. The range fees vary on if you are an NRA member or non-member and if you are military or police. I forget the rates, but I bet you can get them from either the web site or making a phone call. Good luck on your CCP - I love having mine.

Date: April 01, 2012 06:59PM

I'm a total beginner Wrote:
> Where should I go shoot? I am already signed up
> for CCW class next week but hope to buy time
> Tuesday since I have the day off to at least have
> someone show me proper technique so I dont walk
> into class cold.
>
> Thanks!

The NRA range is better, but if you are trying to shoot on tuesday they arent open and your stuck with blueridge

Posted by: What ()
Date: April 03, 2012 02:17AM

I get mine from street Negroes. Cheap as heck and a lot of it comes in those wooden boxes with ropes on them, which is super cool.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 03, 2012 07:06AM

I seriously doubt the above poster has the balls to even meet a real Negro in real life LoLz

Posted by: Updates? ()
Date: August 10, 2014 04:37PM

I realize the above responses were about 2 years ago...anyone have any new places they get their ammo?

Posted by: Balls on your chin ()
Date: August 10, 2014 04:43PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> I seriously doubt the above poster has the balls
> to even meet a real Negro in real life LoLz

^^^ Fuck face. LOLZ

Posted by: W9P7e ()
Date: August 10, 2014 04:52PM

Date: August 10, 2014 06:20PM

There's a website EHOWA (Ernie's House Of Whoop Ass). Besides the porn, the guy is a gun nut in Florida. He's on the lookout for ammo. http://www.wikiarms.com/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.