HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
do they ever close down restaurants for health code violations here?
Posted by: PieGuy ()
Date: March 25, 2008 05:52PM

do they ever close down restaurants for health code violations here?

I've been reading a lot of restaurant inspection reports. It's really interesting to see that some of my favourite restaurants have really, really, really bad records. Yet they have never been closed down for any reason...

just how bad does a violation have to be before the inspector shuts down the joint?

THANKS! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do they ever close down restaurants for health code violations here?
Posted by: Ngyuen ()
Date: March 25, 2008 06:21PM

This is only one I know of: http://www.funnysign.com/funnysign_069.htm

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: March 25, 2008 07:20PM

The Washington Post used to print the names of restaurants that were shut down, for what, and when they re-opened. (Maybe they still do, I don't read the paper like I used to.)

Anyway, it was usually for stuff like no hot water, insect/rodent infestation, or improper refrigeration temps. It almost always said "re-opened same day". I guess getting shut down really lights a fire under the owner to call the plumber, exterminator, reefer man.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:25PM

Oh yes, they do. While in high school and early on in college I worked for Anita's (Corp Office) and had to get my CFM license. The health inspectors never shut them down, but usually would shut the smaller "deli" type places down in a heartbeat. Anita's would get cited on some pretty rank stuff, especially Fairfax, Herndon and Chantilly. I was in FFX with my husband a few mos ago at the carry out counter, and while we were waiting for our order I saw a roach walking across the carry out counter. The woman in front of me saw it to, and we both yelled to the cashier so she could get it. Well she made a face as if to say "another one?", and got a napkin and did her business. I love Anita's food but damn if that place isnt the filthiest.

Posted by: FormerRestaurantOwner ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:27PM

They shut restaurants down all the time--though mostly only for a short period of time. The most frequent violation that gets people shut down is not having a certified food manager on duty. That's a bs regulation that costs business owners money they'd rather not spend and is a pain in the ass. If the health inspector shows up while a food manager isn't on duty they get shut down until one shows up. Otherwise it takes a fairly serious violation--no hot water, etc.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:39PM

SE Wrote:
>>I love Anita's food but damn if that place isnt the filthiest.

The one in Vienna near Tysons is not dirty at all. Their other locations I've seen look sorta skanky, but not the one here.

Attachments:
vienna2.jpg

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:17PM

As recent as a year ago, the Taco Bell on Route 7 in Falls Church (across from the Eckerd and the W&OD trail bridge) had a recurring problem with sewage seeping out into the parking lot/drive thru. As soon as you rolled down your window to place an order, it would hit you...big time. Last summer, I drove through to place an order, noticed the regular smell, then noticed that the place was closed. A sign on the door indicated they had been shut down for health reasons and noted the sewer leak.

And, to address the obvious...yes, I am a sicko for continuing to get food from this location even though I know it has a major sewage problem. I'm too lazy to drive to the 24-hr location in Merrifield.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:36PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SE Wrote:
> >>I love Anita's food but damn if that place isnt
> the filthiest.
>
> The one in Vienna near Tysons is not dirty at all.
> Their other locations I've seen look sorta
> skanky, but not the one here.
>
>

MMMkay, have you been back to the kitchen, or in the walk in freezer?! NASTY. Vienna East isn't "too" bad because it was obviously the nicest Anita's at one point. Now Ashburn takes the cake.

Posted by: COASTIE ()
Date: March 26, 2008 08:06AM

The inspections and results are based on risk. The Food Code is basically there to reduce the risk to the community. It takes a huge risk to close a resturant. Most issues are not resolved, only corrected, as most violations are due to poor food safety management and the fact most low-pay food service workers will take the easy route when doing things. In addition, each county inspector is tasked with a huge number of resturants, so two inspections a year is a good goal. All this and not a huge amount of food borne illness outbreaks..so the system must be working. In reality most home kitcehens are just as bad.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: March 26, 2008 08:38AM

COASTIE Wrote:
>>> In reality most home kitchens are just as bad

Exactly. Unless most people are labeling their food containers with names and dates, storing vegetables and meats on the correct fridge shelves, wearing disposable gloves, and testing the concentration level of sanitizer in their dish washers, most home kitchens would be shut down based on procedural violations alone.

Posted by: Phil McKracken ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:36AM

I don't know about 'closing' any restaurants, but you if want to know what health code violations at your favorite restaurant check the Fairfax Health District site: http://www.healthspace.ca/Clients/VDH/Fairfax/Fairfax_Website.nsf
then click on 'Restaurant Inspections'...

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: March 26, 2008 11:29AM

They should shut down the Herndon McDonalds. I can't believe that the McDonalds corporate office wants my kids to eat there rather than the Chain Bridge McDonalds.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:46PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> COASTIE Wrote:
> >>> In reality most home kitchens are just as bad
>
>
> Exactly. Unless most people are labeling their
> food containers with names and dates, storing
> vegetables and meats on the correct fridge
> shelves, wearing disposable gloves, and testing
> the concentration level of sanitizer in their dish
> washers, most home kitchens would be shut down
> based on procedural violations alone.

True, but it makes a diference when it's my own filth rather than anonymous filth...

Posted by: COASTIE ()
Date: March 27, 2008 08:50AM

But what makes your filth any better than the food service workers?

Actually when I have done foodborne illness investigations, the resturants are hardly never postively idnetified as the culprit. Family picnics, eating left-overs, and home baking tend to be more easily identifable as potential culprits. Also people tend to relate the last thing they ate without thinking that most foodborne illness (outside posioning) need to incubate.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.