HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
All for appropriately honoring & recognizing students enlisting in the military...
Posted by: Speak the truth to our kids who serve ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:13PM

But what is this woman saying?

... said board member Elizabeth Schultz (Springfield). “If they’re willing to say, ‘You know what, I’m ready to serve,’ that’s somebody stepping up to the line who has demonstrably acquired some critical thinking, strategic planning and leadership skills."

Huh? “demonstrably acquired some critical thinking, strategic planning...” How many buzz words can you put into a quote? Lots of words, little meaning.

Let’s recognize and thank the students who choose to serve our country. But let's not patronize them.

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/local/education/fairfax-county-debates-honors-for-high-school-graduates-enlisting-in-military/2012/03/06/gIQAsOkzxR_story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All for appropriately honoring & recognizing students enlisting in the military...
Posted by: an observer ()
Date: March 08, 2012 09:33PM

She is saying that they have made a decision about their futures. She is saying that they are going--in many cases-- to risk their lives for their country. She is saying that they deserve to be honored in a very special way.

It is little enough to ask that they be honored at every graduation in FCPS.

Re: All for appropriately honoring & recognizing students enlisting in the military...
Posted by: do ()
Date: March 08, 2012 10:10PM

The global corporatists should dispatch limousines to take the enlistees to their graduation.

After all, it's they that these kids are going to be putting their lives on the line for. Let them pay for red carpet treatment for the cannon fodder.

Posted by: Speak the truth to our kids who serve ()
Date: March 08, 2012 10:17PM

an observer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She is saying that they have made a decision about
> their futures. She is saying that they are
> going--in many cases-- to risk their lives for
> their country. She is saying that they deserve to
> be honored in a very special way.
>
> It is little enough to ask that they be honored at
> every graduation in FCPS.

She didn’t say these kids made a decision about their future, realize they will be risking their lives, and deserve to be honored. No one would disagree with any of these points. And as I posted, I support these patriotic students being recognized for their enlistment. What this person said was that by enlisting, these students “demonstrably acquired some critical thinking…skills…” Again, let’s honor and respect our patriots (and honor them at the graduation ceremony or in another meaningful way), but let’s not patronize them.

Posted by: Eyes on the Street ()
Date: March 09, 2012 09:32AM

Posted by: Tom_Mason ()
Date: March 09, 2012 11:57AM

,,,it's they that these kids are going to be putting their lives on the line for....

Bullshit. It's time to put that flag waving crap into perspective. Most of these guys will never get close to an enemy and the small percentage of those who do are putting themselves in that situation. The standard of living enjoyed by military personnel has never been higher. Compared to WW II, these guys are giving up little if anything.

Posted by: Mr. Insensitive ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:08PM

Posted by: response to Tom ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:10PM

Do you have any idea how much time these kids are spending overseas?
Did you even read the newspapers? Your comment that the standard of living for the military has never been higher must not take repeated deployments into consideration. Pay that falls into food stamp category is also not such a great standard, in my mind.

True, some may not get near an enemy......but they don't know that when they sign up. Do you not look at the pictures of the fallen that are published in WAPO? Do you not read about our "wounded warriors"?

Enlisting in the service does not mean these kids will reach military retirement. It means that they are committing to serving their country wherever it may send them for the near future. The pay is abysmal--look it up.

Military retirement is currently a pretty good deal--but do you think a 17-18 year old is really thinking about retirement?

Your attitude is frighteningly close to that of those who spit on our Vietnam soldiers back in the day. Sadly, many of them were drafted and had no choice--these kids are making a choice to serve. They should be recognized.

Posted by: freidas ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:54PM

waste of time, meaningless verbal vomit

Posted by: recruit ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:05PM

response to Tom Wrote:
> Do you have any idea how much time these kids are
> spending overseas?
> Did you even read the newspapers? Your comment
> that the standard of living for the military has
> never been higher must not take repeated
> deployments into consideration. Pay that falls
> into food stamp category is also not such a great
> standard, in my mind.
>
> True, some may not get near an enemy......but they
> don't know that when they sign up. Do you not
> look at the pictures of the fallen that are
> published in WAPO? Do you not read about our
> "wounded warriors"?
>
> Enlisting in the service does not mean these kids
> will reach military retirement. It means that
> they are committing to serving their country
> wherever it may send them for the near future.
> The pay is abysmal--look it up.
>
> Military retirement is currently a pretty good
> deal--but do you think a 17-18 year old is really
> thinking about retirement?
>
> Your attitude is frighteningly close to that of
> those who spit on our Vietnam soldiers back in the
> day. Sadly, many of them were drafted and had no
> choice--these kids are making a choice to serve.
> They should be recognized.

I have to agree to disagree with this one. I do agree that military pay really isn't the best, especially for the 18 year old PVT1 or PVT2. I'm going in as SPC so I'm getting a pretty good deal but I am not 18 years old. You can technically get a promotion up to PFC before going to basic but it's pretty difficult. Score over a 240 on the APFT, finish your future soldier training modules, and bring in someone who has to enlist. Now as far as living conditions if you are married the Army will bend over backwards to kiss your rear. I think it's absolutely nuts that an 18 year old married E1 is given BAH for an apartment while the 20 something single E4 is warehoused in public housing buildings called the barracks. The married E1 is laying on the couch while the single soldier is cleaning black mold off of the ceiling at the barracks. So BAH is out of control, if you are married with kids you have it made you can live off of handouts from the Army while the single soldier gets a boot stuck up their rear. Lastly, I enlisted knowing that I would be living in such conditions because I am single however I guarantee take away BAH and all of that other stuff half of the married soldiers wouldn't enlist.

Posted by: Why do this? ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:41PM

They should not be accepting 18 year old married enlistees----PERIOD.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: March 09, 2012 07:30PM

Tom_Mason Wrote:
> ,,,it's they that these kids are going to be
> putting their lives on the line for....
>
> Bullshit. It's time to put that flag waving crap
> into perspective. Most of these guys will never
> get close to an enemy and the small percentage of
> those who do are putting themselves in that
> situation. The standard of living enjoyed by
> military personnel has never been higher. Compared
> to WW II, these guys are giving up little if
> anything.

On the other hand, back in WWII if you didn't join up and fight the enemy, or at least do your part to support the war effort back at home, you were rightfully seen as a worthless coward.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Tom_Mason ()
Date: March 09, 2012 11:47PM

You know, it didn't take long after I posted my comment for some of you guys to predictably wrap yourselves in the flag. However, blind patriotism kills. And for those of you who slept through high school history, there is no way anyone can realistically compare what these teenagers might encounter to what went on during World War II. WW II was total war at it's worst. What's going on nowadays in the Middle East is a counterinsurgency campaign of the type that the US lost in Vietnam. Sadly, the current situation is not going to get resolved regardless of how many troops the US recruits. Filling kids' heads with patriotic visions to get them to enlist so that they can participate in this mess is exploitation plain and simple. So, don't expect me to thank the few who actually engage in armed action for volunteering to play this uniformed version of Russian roulette. I'd rather have them stay stateside and enjoy a long and prosperous life.

Posted by: Jerry..Rubin ()
Date: March 10, 2012 12:15AM

Tom_Mason Wrote:
> You know, it didn't take long after I posted my
> comment for some of you guys to predictably wrap
> yourselves in the flag. However, blind patriotism
> kills. And for those of you who slept through high
> school history, there is no way anyone can
> realistically compare what these teenagers might
> encounter to what went on during World War II. WW
> II was total war at it's worst. What's going on
> nowadays in the Middle East is a counterinsurgency
> campaign of the type that the US lost in Vietnam.
> Sadly, the current situation is not going to get
> resolved regardless of how many troops the US
> recruits. Filling kids' heads with patriotic
> visions to get them to enlist so that they can
> participate in this mess is exploitation plain and
> simple. So, don't expect me to thank the few who
> actually engage in armed action for volunteering
> to play this uniformed version of Russian
> roulette. I'd rather have them stay stateside and
> enjoy a long and prosperous life.

Vince Alert! LMFAO!

Posted by: to Tom ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:51AM

Tom Mason said:
"I'd rather have them stay stateside and enjoy a long and prosperous life."

I think we all agree on that.

However, do you remember 09/11/2001? Except for Pearl Harbor, I don't think we've been attacked since the Revolutionary War and that domestic disturbance in the 1860's.

Whether we like it or not, we are at war. Should we be? I don't know. I don't agree with the plicies in the Middle East, but then, the idea of a nuclear Iran terrifies me.

The fact of the matter, though, is that we must be prepared. War or peace, these young people are signing up to serve. Sure beats Occupying Wall Street.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.