HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Summer Camp questions
Posted by: working parent ()
Date: February 27, 2012 10:39AM

I am looking for a great summer camp for my two kids ages 8 and 11.

I have a college nanny who can drop them off and pick them up.

Does anyone know of any 1/2 camps in the area.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Summer Camp questions
Posted by: Camp Staff ()
Date: February 27, 2012 11:00AM

Oh yeah, just ship your kids off (wouldn't want their presence to inconvience you, now would we?) to Camp Diddleyourkids like all the other good parents. I mean, why can't schools just be year round so we can just send our kids off to class and not have to think about them? What about me, where's my down time?

Posted by: Two Feet In The Grave ()
Date: February 27, 2012 12:35PM

Your question's too broad. For instance, are you just looking for a "regular" summer camp? Or are you looking for one with a particular focus--such as drama or acting?

On top of that, there are summer programs that resemble--but technically aren't--summer camps. Lots of martial arts schools run programs--some quite good--that aren't true "camps."

Do you want one that'll go a full 8 weeks? Or a shorter period? Some specialty programs are just a week long; many others are 2 weeks.

Lots of church and religious groups have camps, too. Some are very, very good. The degree of religious "indoctrinination" runs from minimal to substantial, depending on what you're looking for.

But now's the time to start looking. And a lot of the more popular shorter programs (some run by the Smithsonian or the Park Authority) will fill up very quickly.

Date: February 27, 2012 01:10PM

The Park Authority has all kinds of half-day and day camp programs, and they are usually very affordable (even those with college nannies will appreciate).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Get what you pay for. ()
Date: February 27, 2012 01:13PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Park Authority has all kinds of half-day and
> day camp programs, and they are usually very
> affordable (even those with college nannies will
> appreciate).

Gross. WHat kind of parent would expose their kids to the riff raff in a county run program? No thanks.

Posted by: worth the $ ()
Date: February 27, 2012 02:02PM

Try Camp Greenway at Madiera. It's as expensive as they come - and if you are using your Nanny to drive your kids to camp, you should be able to afford it. About 1K for a two week day camp. My kids have outgrown it, but it's high quality and they do spend the money on the programs. A couple years ago they got the FCPD Swat Team to helicopter in and put on a demomstration.

Posted by: usernmae44 ()
Date: February 27, 2012 03:30PM

working parent Wrote:
> I am looking for a great summer camp for my two
> kids ages 8 and 11.
>
> I have a college nanny who can drop them off and
> pick them up.
>
> Does anyone know of any 1/2 camps in the area.
>
>
> Thanks!

3710 old lee highway is a very good camp. its called the Lamb Camp and they go to the farms and its fun

Posted by: Depends where you live ()
Date: February 27, 2012 04:19PM

I think this was a fair question for this site. No need to vilify the OP.

Anyway, it depends where you live. A lot of parents are also working parents. The schools have the SAC program and there are day camps galore. Bible camps are simply recruitment but they don't hold you to it afterwards.

Posted by: ideas ()
Date: February 27, 2012 04:29PM

My son is now 17, but he did lots of camps at those ages. I recall that he liked the camps at Alexandria Country Day School and St. Stevens/St. Agnes (not religious) a lot. He also liked some of the adventure camps (through Adventure Links) that go to caves, rivers, etc. He wasn't fond of SACC or Rec-Pac (out of control kids at Rec-Pac). Wakefield has some good half day camps for roller blading and skateboarding (which he liked). He also enjoyed some chess camps (look under the US Chess website). These are just a few ideas. There are TONS of camps out there. Oh, yes, the New School in the Fairfax area has some camps for older kids (which he also liked). My kid tended to enjoy camps with smaller groups. I think if they are too big they tend to be madhouses.

Ignore the people who think you don't take care of your kid. We all know that some people have to work while others have time to criticize. I'm sure you're a great parent---just the fact that you're trying to find good and interesting camps says a lot about you. I hope your kids have a great summer!

Posted by: SoccerMomtweets ()
Date: February 27, 2012 04:51PM

Depends what area you are in and what type pf summer camp? My kids do alot of soccer and baseball camps, but it all depends what area you are in

Posted by: Camp Fan ()
Date: February 28, 2012 11:48AM

South County offers camps the first two weeks school is out. Robinson also offers camps for 4-5 week. I have had nothing but great experiences with both of them. Kids love them!

Posted by: Uncle Paul ()
Date: February 28, 2012 11:52AM

Bring them to my camp. I will take good care of the little buggers. wwww.unclepaulsdaycamp.com

Posted by: I'm ok ()
Date: May 27, 2012 01:11AM

I would go with RecPac. It's a fun and and affordable program. My kids love it and it is very organized. Not sure what that lady was talking about in terms of out of control. Was she there all day with her kid ? I helped out at my kids site and thought the staff did a great job. Check them out.

Posted by: bballmom ()
Date: May 27, 2012 03:40AM

If they are into sports there are several in the area. I know Marymount University holds basketball camps for kids, soccer camps for kids and lacrosse too. I'm sure GMU does the same, but I haven't had any experience in that. My kids (and myself when I was younger) enjoyed the Rec-Pac run through Fairfax County. Relatively inexpensive, many kids that go to the same school as your own so they don't feel like a stranger, and they take a field trip every week. Each week is themed too, which the kids enjoy.

Posted by: tech adventure ()
Date: May 28, 2012 08:03AM

working parent Wrote:
> I am looking for a great summer camp for my two
> kids ages 8 and 11.
>
> I have a college nanny who can drop them off and
> pick them up.
>
> Does anyone know of any 1/2 camps in the area.
>
>
> Thanks!

FCPS has a pretty good camp for younger kids - Tech Adventure. It was at Braddock last year, but there were buses. My kids got picked up at our high school down the road. If your kid is into the arts they have the Institute for the Arts there as well-- but I think it is for older kids.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.