HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Looking for 1 BR apartment, cat friendly in FFX that is safe/quiet
Posted by: arlingtontoFFX ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:08PM

Looking to move from Arlington, am currently in a quiet building. Every place I see seems to charge $350 feet per pet and then $40/month which would add up a lot. Was looking for maybe Annandale. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for 1 BR apartment, cat friendly in FFX that is safe/quiet
Posted by: post if you find different. ()
Date: February 20, 2012 05:56PM

just about all apts charge a non refundable $350 for a cat and an extra $35 on the rent...this is on top of your security deposit..
This area is a fuckin rip off!!
good luck finding different.

Posted by: Lie about the cat? ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:07PM

I would never lie but if you are a really clean person and you have a clean cat why not fib.

Posted by: Landlord ()
Date: February 20, 2012 06:15PM

Lie about the cat? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would never lie but if you are a really clean
> person and you have a clean cat why not fib.

Because she could get kicked out - that's why. There's a reason landlords charge that much for pets. One "accident", and there goes the carpet, the underpad, a bunch of Nature's Miracle, and a whole lot of aggravation. Been there, done that.

By they way, a "fib" is a LIE.

Posted by: OPofthisthread ()
Date: February 20, 2012 09:08PM

I actually have three cats, so it's not exactly going to be easy to conceal them. However if the place has hardwood floors I don't see what damage they could do. Only one of them is a rascal, the other two only attack my couch.

Posted by: all depends ()
Date: February 20, 2012 09:26PM

bottom line is you have to pay the non-refundable $350 and $35-40 a month extra.
It's fucked up.
however that's the way it works. you can lie about it, and may get away with it, if not, you may get fucked. If a cat starts spraying and ripping up the carpet your going to be fucked.
I know the feeling paying for a fuckin cat. I got fucked over with an ex-girlfriends cat.
If the cat was not so fuckin cool, it would have been sent to the kill shelter.

bottom line is pay up,or lie.

Choice is yours.

Posted by: True ()
Date: February 20, 2012 09:32PM

Three cats is way not cool. Either buy yourself a place of your own or get find a REAL home for your cats.

Pet urine can ruin wood floors big time.

I guess you like being the cat lady. It is all up to you. The catnip is in your court.

Posted by: Truer ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:10PM

True Wrote:
> I guess you like being the cat lady.

cat man*

OP is a man.

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: February 20, 2012 10:17PM

Cats are disgusting animals, throw it out your window.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:23AM

OPofthisthread Wrote:
> However if the
> place has hardwood floors I don't see what damage
> they could do.

Seriously?

Posted by: pinewood plaza ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:33AM

I didn't have to pay a deposit for my cat or have to pay rent for my cat either. Sure, the carpet in her litterbox area is a little fucked up, but so is the rest of my carpet so whatever.

Not the nicest apartments in the world but I've lived here for about 5 years now and I've never had a problem w/r/t safety, noise, pets, etc.

Posted by: Ogien ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:57AM

I know many Korean landlords wouldn't mind you having a cat in their property but you will need to keep a close eye on your cat. Wouldn't want it to become a a takeout meal.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 21, 2012 01:10AM

OPofthisthread Wrote:
> I actually have three cats, so it's not exactly
> going to be easy to conceal them. However if the
> place has hardwood floors I don't see what damage
> they could do. Only one of them is a rascal, the
> other two only attack my couch.

First off, three cats in a small apartment is not healthy, for you, or the cats. They can get stressed out being pent up in small confines, which can cause them to urinate all over the place....

As far as the hardwood floors, cat urine is much much much stronger and concentrated than human urine, and will thoroughly penetrate and rot the wood.

Posted by: eesh is a cat man ()
Date: February 21, 2012 08:09AM

^^^

Sounds like a man that lives in his mom's basement with three cats and urine on the floor.

Date: February 21, 2012 01:29PM

It's not just the damage. Many people are allergic to cats - myself included. I love cats and own two myself, but I know the price that I'm paying. Allergic tenants in a no-pets building will quickly find out if you have cats, and will tell the landlord, and you'll be out. No matter how well you clean, cat allergens take several months to fully disappear after the cat has left.

BTW, let me tell you what I'm dealing with right now with one of my cats - a sprayer. Ripped up all of the carpet in his favorite room, ripped up the underpad, ripped up with carpet tack, washed the walls and the floor (scrubbing up cat pee), repeatedly soaked the floors with a urine neutralizer, waited a couple of weeks to dry, painted two coats of primer on the walls and the floor, caulked the bottom of the baseboards, repainted walls, and am preparing to lay vinyl strips instead of carpet. And I still don't know if this will stop the smell. If this weren't my home, what do you think I would charge you to have someone else do this because of your cat?

And eesh is right - three cats in an apartment is at least two too many. It's not fair to the cats.

Posted by: ophere ()
Date: February 22, 2012 12:03PM

none of my cats are like that. no urine issues. have you gotten your cats spayed/neutered? That virtually eliminates that issue if you got it done when they were young. I had a small issue with them scratching the carpets, but that's over. I've done more damage the carpets than they have. The only they damage is my couch and loveseat. It's made out of something they find irresistible.

Having 1 indoor cat is unfair to the cat. It has nothing to do and will likely become a rascal. maybe that's why you have so many problems? My cats have each other to play with. 2 would be ideal, but I can manage 3.

Date: February 22, 2012 12:55PM

Our sprayer was neutered. He still has territorial issues.

You have a point re one cat being lonely.

BTW, I bought a leather-look microfiber couch last year, and I thought the cats would rip it up, but they haven't. They haven't touched it for some reason. I've found that cats like woven like fabrics (such as the sofa in my livingroom, which they destroyed on all four corners).

Posted by: my eyes are burning ()
Date: March 18, 2012 11:13AM

I can smell the cat piss through the screen, ewwwwwwwww..... 3 cats? You MUST be lonely. Good luck with that. You might as well buy a condo at this point :)

Oh and any apartment that finds you with 3 cats instead of the 2 you put on the lease will evict you quickly so I wouldn't even try trying to hide them.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: March 18, 2012 12:31PM

Not all women who have cats are crazy,but all crazy women have cats

Posted by: DickFor ()
Date: March 18, 2012 03:53PM

Cats are WORTHLESS animals! They are second to only a turtle. Cats should've never been domesticated. You have 3 cats? Do yourself a favor and get rid of them! They are nothing but moneypits. You spend all this cash on toys, litter, food, catnip..and you get nothing in return. Save some money and ditch those furry pieces of shit.

My woman moved in with me, and her two fagit cats. They've pissed on floors, walls, my new couch and one of them shit in our bed. Tired of them vomiting up hairballs and whatever gross shit that vacates their useless bodies. They tear up the carpeted stairs, basement wreaks of filth.

Sometimes I like to play Charlie Sheen and hide in the corner behind the plants and attempt to take them out with my not so high-powered bbgun.

HERE'S A QUICK LAUGH...AND IF IT OFFENDS ANY OF YOU, UPYOURS, STOP BEING A PUSSY-cat!

Posted by: radioguy ()
Date: March 18, 2012 06:05PM

I have a van we can live in ......

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: March 18, 2012 08:16PM

arlingtontoFFX Wrote:
> Looking to move from Arlington, am currently in a
> quiet building. Every place I see seems to charge
> $350 fee per pet and then $40/month which would
> add up a lot. Was looking for maybe Annandale. Any
> suggestions?

If your pets aren't worth that much for you to spend, don't have those pets. The problem is less that landlords aren't cat-friendly, it is that pets (especially cats) are not landlord's-property-friendly and when it is time to move out you can't be trusted to hand over the money needed to replace all the carpeting and repair the flooring your precious damaged/destroyed.

Damage adds up a lot. $1500 extra for a year of three cats in the property probably means the landlord is going to lose money getting it ready for the next tenant. I'd fall over in the swoon of thankfulness it was that little were it me, not to mention it was allowed at all.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.