HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gerry Connolly Unlikely in 2012
Posted by: How Times Change ()
Date: February 11, 2012 05:41PM

(edited for space and clarity)

For Gerald Connolly, encore of tight 2010 race looks unlikely

By Ben Pershing, Saturday, February 11, 11:10 AM

Two years ago, Rep. Gerald Connolly’s reelection race proved to be one of the hottest in the country, as the Northern Virginia Democrat held onto his seat by fewer than 1,000 votes.

History does not look likely to repeat itself in 2012.

The two Republicans vying to face Connolly this time around are strong candidates who will be able to keep up with the incumbent in the fundraising department. And the new congressional map of Virginia awaiting federal approval would not provide enough Democratic voters to the Fairfax-based district to overcome the independents expected to switch sides.

“It’s a couple of fresh new faces taking on a self-proclaimed entrenched incumbent with 2012 looking like a really strong Republican year,” said Mike Russell, a public policy professor at George Mason University.

Those odds are certainly encouraging to retired Army Col. Chris Perkins and traffic engineer Ken Vaughn, who are making plays for the seat in 2012. Both men have the ability to bring as much firepower to the table as the 2010 Republican candidates — Pat Herrity, a member of the Fairfax Board of Supervisors with deep political roots in the district, and Keith Fimian, a wealthy businessman with a demonstrated ability to raise campaign cash.

With his military background and an initial burst of strong fundraising upon entering the race last year, Perkins would appear to currently be the more attractive candidate to the Virginia Republican establishment.

Perkins ended 2011 with over $47,000 in his campaign bank account, even though the race had barely begun. Vaughn, who has been active in Northern Virginia’s rising conservative movement, was in slightly better shape, with $52,000 in the bank. Connolly, meanwhile, had $732,000 left over from the rewards he earned from supporting unions and Nancy Pelosi on Obamacare and other liberal issues.

In separate interviews, both Republicans confirmed that they could compete financially.

“I don’t think I’m going to have a problem raising the requisite amount to take Connolly on in a real battle,” Perkins said.

Vaughn, for his part, said many Republican donors were “waiting for the nominee to be chosen and then they’ll come and support them. There is a lot of money sitting on the sidelines out there.”

Either Vaughn or Perkins will reap a windfall once the Republican nominee is determined.

The Democrats are counting on delaying the Republican primary as long as they can. President Obama's Department of Justice is withholding approval of the state’s congressional map, citing authority to do so under the Voting Rights Act. With the primary currently set for June 12 and the filing deadline March 29, the state House reluctantly passed a bill Wednesday that would move the primary to Aug. 21 if the plan does not get federal approval by March 20.

The new map subtracts a bit of Republican-leaning Prince William County turf from Connolly’s district and adds some Democratic-leaning territory along the Dulles Toll Road, including Herndon and Reston. Yet independent-minded central Fairfax remains untouched.

Several studies and polls show Virginia’s 11th district on a list Congressional seats that are “in play” in November, noting that it was held by a moderate Republican, Rep. Thomas M. Davis III, for more than a decade and played host to such a tight race in 2010.

And unlike in 2010, when Democratic turnout was supportive in the non-presidential year, President Obama will be atop the ballot in November which may keep discouraged members of his party from the polls.

Vaughn’s campaign message puts a heavy emphasis on addressing the growing national debt. As an engineer who advises state and local governments on using technology to solve traffic problems, Vaughn also plans to focus on transportation issues.

“The first thing I thought when I saw the new map was, ‘This is a commuter district,’ ” Vaughn said, adding that it's become apparent that the plan to extend Metrorail to Dulles was “a huge boondoggle.” His statement reflects a growing consensus that Dulles rail was a commercial real estate project, not a transportation solution.

Perkins said he would highlight the importance of free markets and limited government. “My message is pretty simple: I’m going to protect the Constitution from those who disregard it if it doesn’t quite fit their agendas,” he said.

On abortion, Perkins said he was opposed to using any federal funds to pay for the procedure, but ultimately the decision “should be up to the woman, her doctor and her God.”

That position could be helpful in a general election, given the moderate lean of the district, and puts him in stark contrast with Connolly, who supports the Obama mandate that all abortions should be paid with tax money, or by employers and their health insurers.

Yet the abortion debate does not resonate in the 11th district as much as the continuing malaise over the economy, jobs, and government over-regulation, areas where the Republicans have a strongly positive agenda.

While Vaughn has sought to engage Perkins in one-on-one debates, Perkins has declined, calling primary debates “divisive” and “counterproductive to the party.”

“I’m running against Connolly and I’ve said that from the beginning,” Perkins said.

In an election year where "Anyone but Obama" is becoming the common theme, Connolly will soon have to decide whether or not to distance himself from the President and the Democratic party hierarchy that provides the majority of his campaign funding. The wrong choice could send him into early retirement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gerry Connolly Unlikely in 2012
Posted by: Obama2013 ()
Date: February 11, 2012 06:12PM

Young Demonstrats from NOVA Community Rule!

Posted by: Get rid of Weasel ()
Date: February 11, 2012 06:25PM

The Dems would be better served by anyone, than Gerry as their guy in this district. The weasel's gotta roll :)

Posted by: Gerry's My BFF ()
Date: February 12, 2012 09:31AM

NOVA, particularly Fairfax County, trends more blue by the day.

Gerry has a 1:15 cash-on-hand advantage, plus a substantial fundraising edge.

Neither GOP candidate has any name recognition (I just read the article and I can't remember).

This is not a GOP wave year.

Result: Gerry wins handily.

Posted by: flipu off gerry ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:09AM

He barely beat Keith fimian lol. Please. Plus his sponsorship of new gun control legislation is not gonna go Over well with Fairfax residents

Posted by: FreddyTheFeddy ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:22AM

flipu off gerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He barely beat Keith fimian lol. Please. Plus his
> sponsorship of new gun control legislation is not
> gonna go Over well with Fairfax residents

Or Federal employees and retirees who are opposed to Obamacare.

Date: February 12, 2012 10:39AM

flipu off gerry Wrote:
> He barely beat Keith fimian lol.

Yeah, in a wave election when thousands of Republicans were elected nation-wide, including a sweep of the three top posts in VA. Conditions for Republicans candidates in NOVA continues to deteriorate. Who are the Republican challengers again? Good luck in 2012, LOL!

> Plus his sponsorship of new gun control legislation is not
> gonna go Over well with Fairfax residents

An additional burden on gun dealers? Ninety percent of Fairfax residents couldn't care less.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:43AM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> Result: Gerry wins handily.

Yeah, I think so, too.

========

I don't follow the Washington Post's commentators - it would be interesting to see how the author of this diatribe usually writes.

Posted by: yeah wrongo bff ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:44AM

Many are displeased in FFX over that. It's just him pandering to Pelosi and Obama/Holder after their screw up, that federal action of giving guns to criminals. A shame Obamas using him for this, or maybe Gerry is even more anti 2nd amendment and against law enforcement than previously though

Date: February 12, 2012 10:46AM

FreddyTheFeddy Wrote:
> Or Federal employees and retirees who are opposed
> to Obamacare.

Both federal employees & seniors receive government-funded health care now. Why would they oppose the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act?

Moreover, what does health care have to do w/guns?

Posted by: Hilarrrrious ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:50AM

The original poster TOTALLY rewrote the actual article in the WP, to the point where it no longer bears any resemblance to what Pershing WROTE.

See the REAL link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/for-connolly-encore-of-tight-2010-race-looks-unlikely/2012/02/08/gIQARHKM6Q_story.html

Posted by: frank furter ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:52AM

Connolly is sponsoring new gun control legislation. Yeah, more proof of his priorities in this economy. Bravo

Date: February 12, 2012 11:12AM

yeah wrongo bff Wrote:
> Many are displeased in FFX over that. It's just
> him pandering to Pelosi and Obama/Holder after
> their screw up, that federal action of giving guns
> to criminals. A shame Obamas using him for this,
> or maybe Gerry is even more anti 2nd amendment and
> against law enforcement than previously though

Very few in Fairfax are concerned over this. Gun control appropriately applied is pro-2nd Amendment and pro-law enforcement.

Posted by: Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them ()
Date: February 12, 2012 11:14AM

How Times CHange Wrote:
> (edited for...clarity)

AKA; lying.

Date: February 12, 2012 12:14PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> FreddyTheFeddy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Or Federal employees and retirees who are
> opposed
> > to Obamacare.
>
> Both federal employees & seniors receive
> government-funded health care now. Why would
> they oppose the Patient Protection and Affordable
> Care Act?
>
> Moreover, what does health care have to do w/guns?

Because the plans they have now are far superior to Obamacare.
I pay through the nose for high end Blue-Cross Blue-Shield
Family Plan and Obamacare would be a big step down for us.
For details on why the NRA opposes Obamacare check out the
website at NRA-ILA. Scary

Date: February 12, 2012 12:40PM

FreddyTheFeddy Wrote:
> Because the plans they have now are far superior
> to Obamacare. I pay through the nose for high
> end Blue-Cross Blue-Shield Family Plan and Obamacare
> would be a big step down for us.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act does not change anything about federal employee heath care choices, nor those offered to seniors.

> For details on why the NRA opposes Obamacare check
> out the website at NRA-ILA. Scary

I searched the NRA-ILA site for "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" and found no results. What are you talking about?

Posted by: 4 more years, II ()
Date: February 12, 2012 01:09PM

Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them Wrote:
> How Times CHange Wrote:
> -----
> > (edited for...clarity)
>
> AKA; lying.

Give the OP a break...it's the only way The Imploding Party of No can win.

Posted by: sick of them ()
Date: February 12, 2012 01:22PM

Chris Perkins is a racist redneck

Date: February 12, 2012 04:26PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> FreddyTheFeddy Wrote:
> -----
> > Because the plans they have now are far
> superior
> > to Obamacare. I pay through the nose for high
> > end Blue-Cross Blue-Shield Family Plan and
> Obamacare
> > would be a big step down for us.
>
> The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
> does not change anything about federal employee
> heath care choices, nor those offered to seniors.
>
> > For details on why the NRA opposes Obamacare
> check
> > out the website at NRA-ILA. Scary
>
> I searched the NRA-ILA site for "The Patient
> Protection and Affordable Care Act" and found no
> results. What are you talking about?

I just tried the search too and couldn't find what I was looking
for but I distinctly recall watching NRA-ILA sponsored videos
in which Wayne LaPierre discussed the gun owner aspects of
Obamacare. Not sure how they categorized but I'll send them an
e-mail as this is going to be an important issue in the next
election. However, the Gun Owners of America have it readily
available.

http://gunowners.org/a112009.htm

Posted by: Brother Gerry ()
Date: February 12, 2012 06:49PM

Hilarrrrious Wrote:
> The original poster TOTALLY rewrote the actual
> article in the WP, to the point where it no longer
> bears any resemblance to what Pershing WROTE.
>

Interesting. Same set of facts, too very different conclusions. Was this a "news" article or opinion? When the Washington Post starts turning on Democrats you know it's going to be a very bad year for them.

Date: February 12, 2012 06:54PM

Brother Gerry Wrote:
> ...Same set of facts, too very different conclusions...

No, the first poster literally rewrote the article's words thus different set of facts.

Posted by: Pukeaze ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:16PM

He tried to pass off his bullshit as being from Ben Pershing of the WP; it's not. Just another liar.

Posted by: Mike Russell ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:18PM

I stand by my statement as written in the original post, although it is always unfortunate when a one-hour interview is condensed into one sentence.

Posted by: Brother Gerry ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:22PM

Someone from the Gerry Connolly campaign is very active on the Underground today. Do you really believe there are many votes to be won here?

Posted by: Fegelein ()
Date: February 13, 2012 04:38AM

Go 3rd party!

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: February 13, 2012 08:23AM

Regardless of who our candidate is in 2012 (and I know and like both of them - Colonel Perkins is a personal friend and a great candidate), nobody believes that 2012 is going to be easy for Republicans, anywhere.

The new lines, as noted, make the district more Democratic than it was in the past. While Connolly isn't well liked, Democrats don't seem to care. And Connolly is doing his best to distance himself from the anti-federal worker policies the Obama Administration has been supporting recently.

If our guys can raise the money and they can connect with voters, and if Romney has coattails in Virginia, we may have a shot. But it will be another squeaker if it's close.

Posted by: T.F EGGE ()
Date: February 13, 2012 08:51AM

Connoly probably doesn't like being a small fish in a big pond and is too old to likely rise in power very much

I worked a few campaigns for connolly. he was a swinging dick imo

an arrogant jerk like most republican

Posted by: Nancy Pelosi ()
Date: February 13, 2012 08:55AM

As more lib voters escape the messes they've created in other states and move to formerly business-friendly Virginia for jobs, they will bring with them the same idiotic voting patterns that result in repeated election of the worst scumbag libs in the universe. Eventually, Virginia will become an oppressive, nanny-state govt just like those shitholes these lib voters fled from.

Posted by: Please, Child ()
Date: February 13, 2012 09:15AM

I'm still getting over the OP, that lying cocksucker. Did he REALLY think that nobody would read the actual article?

Posted by: Thankadem ()
Date: February 13, 2012 09:45AM

Nancy Pelosi Wrote:
> As more lib voters escape the messes they've
> created in other states and move to formerly
> business-friendly Virginia for jobs, they will
> bring with them the same idiotic voting patterns
> that result in repeated election of the worst
> scumbag libs in the universe. Eventually,
> Virginia will become an oppressive, nanny-state
> govt just like those shitholes these lib voters
> fled from.

Why do republicans live off of the Liberal teat?

This chart shows Federal Spending received per Dollar of Federal Taxes paid (I abbreviated this to FS/DFT). The green states receive more federal spending than they pay in federal taxes. The red states receive less federal spending than they pay in federal taxes. For example Mississippians receives $2.02 dollars in federal spending for every $1.00 they pay in federal taxes.
Attachments:
tumblr_lp1wb3bfHG1qz7stao1_500.png

Posted by: FBO ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:40AM

Connolly is a fucking idiot and needs to get the fuck out of office.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I say "fuck" a lot...

Posted by: FBO ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:43AM

Thankadem Wrote:
> Nancy Pelosi Wrote:
> -----
> > As more lib voters escape the messes they've
> > created in other states and move to formerly
> > business-friendly Virginia for jobs, they will
> > bring with them the same idiotic voting
> patterns
> > that result in repeated election of the worst
> > scumbag libs in the universe. Eventually,
> > Virginia will become an oppressive, nanny-state
> > govt just like those shitholes these lib voters
> > fled from.
>
> Why do republicans live off of the Liberal teat?
>
>
> This chart shows Federal Spending received per
> Dollar of Federal Taxes paid (I abbreviated this
> to FS/DFT). The green states receive more federal
> spending than they pay in federal taxes. The red
> states receive less federal spending than they pay
> in federal taxes. For example Mississippians
> receives $2.02 dollars in federal spending for
> every $1.00 they pay in federal taxes.

Um... because the states in RED have LESS taxpayers beacuse they have HIGHER .gov assistance per capita than anywhere else.

Data is only data if you dont fuck with it to make your own special point. Dumbfuck.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I say "fuck" a lot...

Posted by: fomoco ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:48AM

Thankadem Wrote:
> Nancy Pelosi Wrote:
> -----
> > As more lib voters escape the messes they've
> > created in other states and move to formerly
> > business-friendly Virginia for jobs, they will
> > bring with them the same idiotic voting
> patterns
> > that result in repeated election of the worst
> > scumbag libs in the universe. Eventually,
> > Virginia will become an oppressive, nanny-state
> > govt just like those shitholes these lib voters
> > fled from.
>
> Why do republicans live off of the Liberal teat?
>
>
> This chart shows Federal Spending received per
> Dollar of Federal Taxes paid (I abbreviated this
> to FS/DFT). The green states receive more federal
> spending than they pay in federal taxes. The red
> states receive less federal spending than they pay
> in federal taxes. For example Mississippians
> receives $2.02 dollars in federal spending for
> every $1.00 they pay in federal taxes.

I believe the topic here was Gerry Connolly wasn't it?

Date: February 13, 2012 11:28AM

To recap:

1) NOVA, particularly Fairfax County, trends more blue by the day.

2) Gerry has a 1:15 cash-on-hand advantage, plus a substantial fundraising edge.

3) Neither GOP candidate has any name recognition (I just read the article and I can't remember).

4) This is not a GOP wave year.

Conclusion: Gerry wins re-election easily.

Posted by: HipBoots ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:47AM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> To recap:
>
> 1) NOVA, particularly Fairfax County, trends more
> blue by the day.
>
> 2) Gerry has a 1:15 cash-on-hand advantage, plus a
> substantial fundraising edge.
>
> 3) Neither GOP candidate has any name recognition
> (I just read the article and I can't remember).
>
> 4) This is not a GOP wave year.
>
> Conclusion: Gerry wins re-election easily.

So you think I should vote for him just because you think he's gong
to win? Bullshit.

Posted by: math teacher ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:53AM

FBO Wrote:
-
>
> Um... because the states in RED have LESS
> taxpayers beacuse they have HIGHER .gov assistance
> per capita than anywhere else.
>
> Data is only data if you dont fuck with it to make
> your own special point. Dumbfuck.

Check your math. Or just try again.

Date: February 13, 2012 12:39PM

HipBoots Wrote:
> So you think I should vote for him just because
> you think he's gong to win? Bullshit.

Not at all. I think it won't matter how you vote, Gerry is going to win regadless.

Posted by: Getting dumber every year ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:18PM

The morons in this county have been voting for this clown since the 90's.

Why would they stop now?

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: February 13, 2012 02:37PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> HipBoots Wrote:
> -----
> > So you think I should vote for him just because
> > you think he's gong to win? Bullshit.
>
> Not at all. I think it won't matter how you vote,
> Gerry is going to win regadless.

Excellent. I suggest all Democrats don't bother voting this year because Gerry is a lock.

Posted by: Hilarity ()
Date: February 13, 2012 02:49PM

BrianSchoeneman Wrote:
> Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> -----
> > HipBoots Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > So you think I should vote for him just
> because
> > > you think he's gong to win? Bullshit.
> >
> > Not at all. I think it won't matter how you
> vote,
> > Gerry is going to win regadless.
>
> Excellent. I suggest all Democrats don't bother
> voting this year because Gerry is a lock.

Why don't you run, Brian? That way, no Republicans will vote, either.

Posted by: 4 more years, II ()
Date: February 13, 2012 03:50PM

Hilarity Wrote:
> Why don't you run, Brian? That way, no
> Republicans will vote, either.

Ouch!

Lol!

Posted by: logical ()
Date: February 13, 2012 04:36PM

Apparently, we should all vote for Connolly, because we can recognize his name.

Posted by: you may not care ()
Date: February 13, 2012 04:58PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:

> > Plus his sponsorship of new gun control
> legislation is not
> > gonna go Over well with Fairfax residents
>
> An additional burden on gun dealers? Ninety
> percent of Fairfax residents couldn't care less.

Thats just not true at all. At minimum at least 30 percent of fairfax county residents own guns.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 13, 2012 05:03PM

Getting dumber every year Wrote:
> The morons in this county have been voting for
> this clown since the 90's.

Well consider the alternatives we have been offered:
Fimian 2008
Fimian 2010
And now it looks like a potential Fimian clone in 2012

If Republicans want to win the seat back, the solution is simple. Stop throwing up these candidates that only conservatives could love and run someone like Tom Davis.

Posted by: karatechop ()
Date: February 13, 2012 05:04PM

The Washington Post article actually says that Connolly is unlikely to face a strong challenge this year, while the OP tries to twist it to imply that he is unlikely to win this year. Fairfax is too well educated and well informed to fall for the GOP's incoherent economic nihilism and Taliban-style religious fanaticism. Gerry, Tim Kaine, and Pres. Obama are going to sweep Fairfax this fall.

Date: February 13, 2012 05:08PM

you may not care Wrote:
> Thats just not true at all. At minimum at least
> 30 percent of fairfax county residents own guns.

There's a core constituency in Fairfax that would never vote for Gerry, regardless what he does or does not do. The gun owners you mention are part of that core constituency.

Date: February 13, 2012 05:31PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> you may not care Wrote:
> -----
> > Thats just not true at all. At minimum at
> least
> > 30 percent of fairfax county residents own
> guns.
>
> There's a core constituency in Fairfax that would
> never vote for Gerry, regardless what he does or
> does not do. The gun owners you mention are part
> of that core constituency.

Not necessarily. Theres plenty of moderates and even some liberals that own guns. You may be more likely to be a conservative as a gun owner, but it is one of those issues that doesnt always follow party lines. Theres plenty of pro gun dems

Posted by: Damuri Ajashi ()
Date: February 13, 2012 05:51PM

FBO Wrote:

>
> Um... because the states in RED have LESS
> taxpayers beacuse they have HIGHER .gov assistance
> per capita than anywhere else.
>
> Data is only data if you dont fuck with it to make
> your own special point. Dumbfuck.

Fail

Those numbers are adjusted for population and unless you want to say that New Mexico has a higher percentage of taxpayers than New Jersey, you simply fail.

Date: February 13, 2012 07:13PM

you may not care Wrote:
> Not necessarily. Theres plenty of moderates and
> even some liberals that own guns. You may be more
> likely to be a conservative as a gun owner, but it
> is one of those issues that doesnt always follow
> party lines. Theres plenty of pro gun dems

Gun owners who would vote against Gerry because he put additional burdens on gun dealers were nver going to vote for him anyway. Liberal & moderate gun owners, those who believe gun control laws strengthen gun ownership rather than diminish it, would vote for Gerry anyway.

Date: February 13, 2012 07:32PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:

> Gun owners who would vote against Gerry because he
> put additional burdens on gun dealers were nver
> going to vote for him anyway. Liberal & moderate
> gun owners, those who believe gun control laws
> strengthen gun ownership rather than diminish it,
> would vote for Gerry anyway.

Again not true. He is in favor of banning guns. Its a bigger issue of the government knowing whats best and picking and choosing what amendments and parts of the constitution they like. Liberals may vote for him anyway but a lot of moderates will be turned off by that.

Date: February 13, 2012 07:56PM

you may not care Wrote:
> Again not true. He is in favor of banning guns.

Gerry wants to Ban guns? That's certainly not true.

Gun control does not equal banning guns.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:12PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:

> Gerry wants to Ban guns? That's certainly not
> true.
>
> Gun control does not equal banning guns.

Banning guns as a form of gun control does. Hes been calling for new gun bans in VA and is one of the few members of congress that fully stands by Holder and the Administration in the fast and furious scandal. Holder on thursday told congress that he and the administration want to bring back and assault weapons ban blaming the US for violence in mexico, when in reality it was his program that gave the cartels the overwhelming majority of american guns they have.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:25PM

you may not care Wrote:
> Hes been calling for new gun bans in VA and is one of
> the few members of congress that fully stands by
> Holder and the Administration in the fast and
> furious scandal.

Do you have a quote by Gerry saying he wants to ban guns?

Hundreds of Congressmen and Congresswomen stand behind AG Holder and the Administration, including Gerry.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:27PM

you may not care Wrote:
> ...Theres plenty of moderates and even some liberals that own guns...

I own a few guns. I don't vote based on them - there are more important things to me than guns.

Posted by: Bang Bang ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:53PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:

>
> Gun control does not equal banning guns.

Yes, actually, it does. See: New York, Washington D.C.

The Texas model seems to be working well, even in the cities.

By the way, what has Connolly done for Fairfax County over the past two years that could not have been done as well or better by anyone else? And I don't mean being chief bottle washer for Obamacare.

Date: February 14, 2012 06:35AM

Bang Bang Wrote:
> Yes, actually, it does.

No, it does not. Gun control is any law, policy, practice, or proposal designed to restrict or limit the possession, production, importation, shipment, sale, and/or use of guns or other by private citizens.

Gun control laws and policies vary greatly around the world with some countries, such as China, having very strict limits on gun possession and others, such as the United States, having relatively modest limits.

> See: New York, Washington D.C.

In 1976, Washington, D.C. enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%. New York & DC gun restrictions are not representative of our national gun laws.

> By the way, what has Connolly done for Fairfax
> County over the past two years

Here's Gerry's website: http://connolly.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=44

Check it out!

Posted by: ConManNot ()
Date: February 14, 2012 06:48AM

ConMan's Report Card from the Gun Owners of America:

http://gunowners.org/112hrat.htm

Now, how did he get that "F" rating? Why, he did it the old fashioned way.
He EARNED it!

Date: February 14, 2012 10:35AM

Of course, the gun-wackos offer nothing to support their rating.

If polled, I doubt more than 15% of registered voters in Fairfax have ever heard of Gun Owners of America, let alone care about its rating of Gerry. In Fairfax County gun rights are of no electoral consequence at all.

Even if every gun owner in the 11th distinct voted against Gerry, he would still win handily in November.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:27AM

ConManNot Wrote:
> ConMan's Report Card from the Gun Owners of
> America:

Few things better illustrate the reason WHY Connolly keeps getting re-elected better than this thread. We are in the part of the state where support for gun control legislation is highest, a portion of the state where even many Republicans favor a degree of gun control (look at Wolfe's rating from the same group), and yet we have conservatives taking Connolly to task for being in favor of gun control. It isn't the voters who are stupid here; it is those who are nominating Republican candidates.

It is very simple. Republicans can keep throwing up these conservative candidates whose views are out of step with most voters in the 11th District and then wonder why Connolly keeps winning...OR...they can nominate moderate good government candidates and win.

Date: February 14, 2012 04:22PM

Gerry's My BFF Wrote:

> Hundreds of Congressmen and Congresswomen stand
> behind AG Holder and the Administration, including
> Gerry.

Stand behind the administration yes, stand behind them for fast and furious no.

Watch this exchange starting at 2 hour 22 minute mark. It may be 2 24 but its right around there. I mean really this is who is representing us?

Posted by: pinocchio ()
Date: February 14, 2012 05:09PM

If Gerry does not run again it would be a terrible waste. He is the most honest and intelligent politician to ever occupy congress. We and the whole country would suffer a great loss if Gerry does not return to congress.
Attachments:
Pinocchio_nose_grows-thumb-350x259-52448.jpg

Posted by: Johnny Rockets ()
Date: February 14, 2012 05:25PM

The fact remains that Gerry has been a left wing, completely liberal, not even a moderate say in the Tom Davis era Congressman for this district. A complete liberal with a L, who is more than happy to help others, that are from other areas. While team work is fine and dandy, spreading the spoils through government entitlement and pork is not. Gerry-gotta go.

Posted by: lackey ()
Date: February 14, 2012 05:27PM

After watching the video it is plain Gerry knows which day is Groundhogs day. Beyond that I question his intelligence.

Posted by: Is He for Real? ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:37PM

you may not care Wrote:
> Gerry's My BFF Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Hundreds of Congressmen and Congresswomen stand
> > behind AG Holder and the Administration,
> including
> > Gerry.
>
>
> Stand behind the administration yes, stand behind
> them for fast and furious no.
>
> Watch this exchange starting at 2 hour 22 minute
> mark. It may be 2 24 but its right around there.
> I mean really this is who is representing us?
>
>

I watched that little bit of video. Let me see if I understand. Congress is holding a hearing to find out why the Justice Department allowed guns to be sold (against the law) in the US to Mexican drug runners, resulting in the death of a federal agent. Gerry Connolly tells them that more laws against owning guns is the answer. That still doesn't explain his comment about groundhog day, but I'll let that slide.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:46PM

Is He for Real? Wrote:

> I watched that little bit of video. Let me see if
> I understand. Congress is holding a hearing to
> find out why the Justice Department allowed guns
> to be sold (against the law) in the US to Mexican
> drug runners, resulting in the death of a federal
> agent. Gerry Connolly tells them that more laws
> against owning guns is the answer. That still
> doesn't explain his comment about groundhog day,
> but I'll let that slide.

Thats basically the just of it. Instead of having the blame be on the Justice Departments for completely screwing up the sting, he wants to blame the US for having guns when those sales were only done under pressure by the ATF in the first place. I love how their answer is to ban guns since we all know drug cartels and murderers ect would follow the anti gun laws......

Sadly his groundhog day rant wasnt the dumbest part of his comments.

Posted by: Gerry's MY BFF ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:56PM

Johnny Rockets Wrote:
> The fact remains that Gerry has been a left wing,
> completely liberal, not even a moderate say in the
> Tom Davis era Congressman for this district. A
> complete liberal with a L, who is more than happy
> to help others, that are from other areas. While
> team work is fine and dandy, spreading the spoils
> through government entitlement and pork is not.
> Gerry-gotta go.

Lots of us here in NOVA like liberals & we like Gerry just fine. He can serve as long as he wants.

Posted by: Connolly must go ()
Date: February 15, 2012 06:54AM

------------------
> BrianSchoeneman Wrote:
> Regardless of who our candidate is in 2012 (and I
> know and like both of them - Colonel Perkins is a
> personal friend and a great candidate),

I met Perkins a few times and saw him at an awards dinner last year. He seems like a smart guy but his behavior can be a bit strange at times. During the awards ceremony, he stood up at his table and shouted "THE DC AREA!" really loud (for no apparent reason). Nobody understood what he was doing and it sort of interrupted the whole thing. Not sure if it was some kind of joke, no one seemed to know what was going on and he basically sat there and acted like nothing happened. Would be interesting to see how a candidate like this holds up.

Posted by: Gerry is da man ()
Date: February 15, 2012 08:08AM

Is He for Real? Wrote:
> That still
> doesn't explain his comment about groundhog day,
> but I'll let that slide.

I think I found the connection. Gerry was ahead of the curve again. Groundhogs smuggling guns to Mexicans. Good job Gerry as usual.
Attachments:
groundhog.jpg

Posted by: TexasHold'em ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:21AM

Fast and Furious on a smaller scale would be like cops planting drugs on someone just to make a bust. Holder and Obama should resign.

Posted by: 5 Card Stud ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:29AM

TexasHold'em Wrote:
> Fast and Furious on a smaller scale would be like
> cops planting drugs on someone just to make a
> bust. Holder and Obama should resign.

Umm, actually it's more like if the cops sold someone crack, so they could find out where the crack den is.

You conservatives are stupid.

Posted by: Half right ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:37AM

5 Card Stud Wrote:
> TexasHold'em Wrote:
> -----
> > Fast and Furious on a smaller scale would be
> like
> > cops planting drugs on someone just to make a
> > bust. Holder and Obama should resign.
>
>
> Umm, actually it's more like if the cops sold
> someone crack, so they could find out where the
> crack den is.
>
> You conservatives are stupid.

Yeah, except they never followed the crooks back to the crack den.

They just sold the crack and left.

Posted by: an observer ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:40AM

Normally, when a sting is set up, there is a pretty immediate arrest.

How many arrests have been made in this "sting"?

Date: February 15, 2012 12:58PM

no actually its more like they sold of buncch of over the counter drugs knowing that they would be turned into meth and just stopped paying attention when the meth dealers got the drugs so that they could make the over the counter drugs illegal.

they have 0 clue where any of the guns went and only even tracked a handful of them for a couple days. the gun store owners reported having their licenses threatened if they didnt comply ect. that ground hog with the machine gun could have managed the "sting" aka politically motivated event to call for gun bans.

Posted by: say no to dopes ()
Date: February 15, 2012 03:27PM

5 Card Stud Wrote:
>
> Umm, actually it's more like if the cops sold
> someone crack, so they could find out where the
> crack den is.
>
> You conservatives are stupid.

Except this "crack" was actually a gun and later used to kill a Federal Agent. You didnt learn a thing in school did you?

Posted by: Joker's Wild ()
Date: February 15, 2012 03:42PM

say no to dopes Wrote:
> 5 Card Stud Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Umm, actually it's more like if the cops sold
> > someone crack, so they could find out where the
> > crack den is.
> >
> > You conservatives are stupid.
>
> Except this "crack" was actually a gun and later
> used to kill a Federal Agent. You didnt learn a
> thing in school did you?

I was following along with the original analogy posted above.

You do understand what an analogy is, right?

you = argument fail

Date: February 15, 2012 03:52PM

Yeah sure you did. If you are ok with letting guns walk to known gangs?

You still didnt learn a thing, Now hurry up with my pizza, delivery boy.

Posted by: Facepalm ()
Date: February 15, 2012 04:01PM

say no to dopes Wrote:
> Yeah sure you did. If you are ok with letting guns
> walk to known gangs?
>
> You still didnt learn a thing, Now hurry up with
> my pizza, delivery boy.

The original post was an analogy implying that the Feds were planting guns on people just to make an arrest.

Do you know how to read, or should I send a note home to your Mom telling her to get you a new pair of glasses?

Date: February 15, 2012 04:19PM

You just get my pizza here before it gets cold. Maybe an extra dollar in it for you if the cheese is still melting

Posted by: Black Jack ()
Date: February 15, 2012 04:23PM

say no to dopes Wrote:
> You just get my pizza here before it gets cold.
> Maybe an extra dollar in it for you if the cheese
> is still melting

Just remember to keep your wife on her leash before you answer the door.

Date: February 15, 2012 04:44PM

Our conservative poster just doesn't get it. It isn't that people are lining up to claim that GC is all that and more. Rather it is that with everything that he is (or isn't) he is he is still better than what the conservatives have been trying to throw up against him.

As for F&F, I can't think of many dumber ideas to prove a fact that didn't need to be proven. However we are talking about people who have managed to set up sophisticated production, transportation and distribution systems that have been able to withstand the opposition of law enforcement networks of two nations. Do you honestly believe that they couldn't manage to acquire or manufacture firearms if F&F hadn't been instituted?

Date: February 15, 2012 05:08PM

Bill.N. Wrote:

> As for F&F, I can't think of many dumber ideas to
> prove a fact that didn't need to be proven.
> However we are talking about people who have
> managed to set up sophisticated production,
> transportation and distribution systems that have
> been able to withstand the opposition of law
> enforcement networks of two nations. Do you
> honestly believe that they couldn't manage to
> acquire or manufacture firearms if F&F hadn't been
> instituted?

Thats the whole point that conservatives and pro gun people are trying to make. Those cartels would still be armed and the violence would still be happening if the US didnt make a single gun ever. The idea of F&F wasnt a horrible one (but they should have known that it would have been impossible to track like this), but the implementation was god awful. Hell with the corruption in Mexico most of the guns are probably coming from their police and military supplies.

The thing most people have a HUGE issue with, is the dishonestly and backhanded attempt to try and use F&F to blame American guns for the violence in Mexico and use that as a way to not only impose more restrictions on guns but ban some if not all of them. Its this kind of dishonest bs that really makes the whole thing sickening.

Had they just said we tried to use the program to track where the guns went to help mexico find the cartel hold outs and we failed instead of trying to blame guns for their failures, the microscope would have been on why they failed or if it ever should have been approved in the first place. Instead they are trying to blame the guns and the guns owners who were only following what they were basically forced to do and thats one of the reasons why you see people wanting Holder in particular to step down or be fired over it. Seeing his true motives behind the program is sickening.

If Holder, Obama and guys like Conolly want to try and blame american guns for it then they absolutely should be taken to task for the filed program. By their own logic they are responsible for the violence in mexico, since after all those sales wouldnt have happened without the urging of the ATF.

Date: February 15, 2012 07:42PM

All that only matters if there is someone that is remotely acceptable as an alternative. Read what I said in my first paragraph (and just about everything I've posted on Connolly the past two years). He simply isn't bad enough for many in NoVa to be willing to trade him in for a hard right conservative whose views they do not share. If Republicans want to win the district, they need to run a candidate like Tom Davis rather than some conservative champion.

Date: February 15, 2012 08:10PM

It doesnt really matter who runs against him, fairfax has to many people that just vote for the d every time. Fairfax county as a hole elects dems in overwhelming numbers from local governments all the way up to the federal government. If you flipped the parties of Connolly and who ever runs against him the other guy would win

Posted by: A Voter ()
Date: February 16, 2012 03:57AM

Fast and Furious was a FAILED false flag attempt created by Obama, Clinton, and Holder. They should all be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Gerry's a baffoon. Defending Holder and asking for more gun control? Time for Gerry to go.

Who gives a rats ass about Ground Hog day.

Posted by: Another Voter ()
Date: February 16, 2012 06:39AM

A Voter Wrote:
> Fast and Furious was a FAILED false flag attempt
> created by Obama, Clinton, and Holder. They should
> all be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Reagan & his posse should have been prosecuted for Iran Contra. That didn't happen and neither will this.

> Gerry's a baffoon. Defending Holder and asking for
> more gun control? Time for Gerry to go.

But he won't. In fact, Gerry will win handily 'cause most voters don't pay that much attention and only a small fraction feel towards him the way yo do.

> Who gives a rats ass about Ground Hog day.

Well said.

Posted by: Another Voter ()
Date: February 16, 2012 06:41AM

A Voter Wrote:
>
> Gerry's a baffoon. Defending Holder and asking for
> more gun control? Time for Gerry to go.
>
> Who gives a rats ass about Ground Hog day.

Yes, wasting his five minutes to say something incomprehensible about groundhog day was idiotic.

But I think the point of his speech was that anyone questioning Holder for this screwup was really just attacking Obama.

I wish we had a Congressman who put his time into helping Fairfax County rather than being a shill for the national party.

Posted by: tooth fairy ()
Date: February 16, 2012 11:15AM

Pop pop goes the weasel weasel, pop goes the weasel cause,the weasel goes pop. Chilling with Pete nice

Date: February 16, 2012 04:09PM

Another Voter Wrote:

> Reagan & his posse should have been prosecuted for
> Iran Contra. That didn't happen and neither will
> this.

Holder should be since hes already set the precedent of wanting to take away immunity for government officials. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

The other HUGE difference was Iran was getting weapons to fight the Iraqis much like Al-Quada was given weapons to fight the Russians, Fast and Furious was an attempt to get guns in the US banned.

> But I think the point of his speech was that anyone questioning Holder forthis > screwup was really just attacking Obama.

Hes even dumber than his speech makes him appear if he really believes that. All Fast and Furious criticism is very legitimate, and theres more than enough issues to go after Obama without having to manufacture things. The point of Connollys speech was trying to pass the blame off and change the subject just like Holder is trying to do blaming US gun makers for the violence when his own program gave them the majority of US guns they have.

If either of them truly believes that getting rid of guns in the US will solve gun violence in the world they should both be removed or step down immediately for not having a clue what they are doing.

Posted by: today ()
Date: February 16, 2012 06:42PM

Wait til you see Connoly's attack on the priests/rabbis/ministers and Republicans on the Hill today over the religious liberty issue.......kind of mean.

Posted by: link to video ()
Date: February 16, 2012 06:46PM

Posted by: Rlroll2 ()
Date: February 16, 2012 10:11PM

What a jerk. There are certainly arguments to be made for forcing religous institutions to provide free contraception, sterilization and pharmaceutical abortions to their employees. But calling them names and trying to shame them for defending nearly two thousand year old doctrine and tenets of their respective religons is really disgusting. WHAT A JERK!

Posted by: Long Long Ago ()
Date: February 16, 2012 10:28PM

Someone should ask Brother Gerry about a certain nun in his past. Or maybe she will finally come forward after watching his antics.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.