HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gun Show Question
Posted by: Batsmen ()
Date: February 10, 2012 07:35AM

It's here and I'm going. Who's got the best prices and selection? Based on past experience, how many sellers are there that aren't FFL's.

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gun Show Question
Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:17AM

I found that the larger tables have the lower price, Dark Sun or Trader Jerry's come to mind. What I usually do is walk around and get the price for what I want from a few different places and then I'll go to one of the smaller tables with less of a crowd and I can usually get that seller to match the cheaper price I found. No matter where I buy I always ask for $12 off to cover the price of admission and I've always received it, not that big of a deal but hey its still $12.

The last few shows I've been to I have not seen a ton of non-FFL dealers. There will always be a few guys walking around with rifles for sale but I did not see many citizen to citizen hand gun sales. Most of the guys selling hand guns were trying to trade them in on a new firearm.

If you're thinking about buying an AK variant or anythiong like that I would throw my passport in my pocket as well, some of the dealers require a passport to purchase those weapons. Not sure of the law on this but if you have it with you there won't be a problem.

Posted by: Code of Virginia ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:29AM

BB*X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're thinking about buying an AK variant or
> anythiong like that I would throw my passport in
> my pocket as well, some of the dealers require a
> passport to purchase those weapons. Not sure of
> the law on this but if you have it with you there
> won't be a problem.

Here's why...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C01

ยง 18.2-308.2:01. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any assault firearm or to knowingly and intentionally carry about his person, hidden from common observation, an assault firearm.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully present in the United States to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm or to knowingly and intentionally carry about his person, hidden from common observation, any firearm. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

C. For purposes of this section, "assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

Posted by: Prices that good? ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:33AM

Are the prices really that good? I'm looking to get a pistol for myself and a revolver for my wife. Say I were to zero in on a HK P2000sk, a S&W M&P compact in 9mm, and a S&W Bodyguard 38. Will I find stuff like that at prices low enough to make it worth going?

Date: February 10, 2012 09:19AM

You will see all of those guns there, not sure about the specific model of HK but there are ton's of HK's at the show. I've always found the gun show price to be lower than most local gun stores, although I hear Virginia Arms is very competitive with their prices and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

I find it's worth going because you have access to products from just about any manufacturer. If you go to a local store you may be limited by the products they carry. If you can get the same thing for a decent price locally than by all means support your local shop.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: February 10, 2012 09:29AM

The prices are the best you'll see, and you'll also often have the ability haggle a little. Lots of discounts. All of the guns I own now I've purchased at the Chantilly show.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 10, 2012 02:27PM

Dark Sun and Trader Jerry's. You can price match, too.

M&Ps are hard to come by now. They won some Gov't contract recently. Good luck finding one, I'd love to get a M&P .45

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: February 10, 2012 02:42PM

I go the the show every time it is in town, regardless of whether I buy something or not. I generally stick to the smaller tables, and avoid the HUGE tables like Trader Jerrys and Guns and Ammo Warehouse. While they have lots of product they are always swarmed with customers.

Posted by: lucas mccain ()
Date: February 10, 2012 03:41PM

It used to be good now the prices are not much different than retail at the local gun shops. You may want to consider bringing cash and trying to bargain the price that way. The dealers know if you use a credit card they lose some money through the transaction fee. And they sure hate taking checks.

Posted by: theshow ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:40PM

How does the show floor prices compare to Bud's online shop?

Posted by: Buddy ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:44PM

theshow Wrote:
> How does the show floor prices compare to Bud's
> online shop?

Bud's seems to be pretty good, but I also wonder how they compare to the gun show.

Posted by: Big Fig ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:58PM

the gun shows sucks.....go to VA Arms in Manassas. Best prices in the DC area.

The fucking douchebag sellers at gunshows are looking for pussy weekend warriors looking to be dicked over on overpriced guns. The prices suck at all of these gunshows.

Posted by: there were a few ()
Date: February 10, 2012 07:48PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> Dark Sun and Trader Jerry's. You can price match,
> too.
>
> M&Ps are hard to come by now. They won some Gov't
> contract recently. Good luck finding one, I'd
> love to get a M&P .45

There were a few m&p at the show. not nearly as many as some other models though. Some good ammo deals as well

Posted by: jablonsky ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:14PM

Big Fig Wrote:
> the gun shows sucks.....go to VA Arms in Manassas.
> Best prices in the DC area.
>
> The fucking douchebag sellers at gunshows are
> looking for pussy weekend warriors looking to be
> dicked over on overpriced guns. The prices suck at
> all of these gunshows.

That about sums it up. I heard some people try to haggle the price and the sellers told them to fuck themselves since they had more than enough types who would pay the full display price.
Watch the ammo you buy some of it will destroy the gun. Cheap crap usually made in China. If you spend $800 on a good handgun dont be a cheapskate on the ammo.
Attachments:
seven_policeacademy_06.jpg

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: February 10, 2012 08:19PM

Big Fig Wrote:
> the gun shows sucks.....go to VA Arms in Manassas.
> Best prices in the DC area.
>
> The fucking douchebag sellers at gunshows are
> looking for pussy weekend warriors looking to be
> dicked over on overpriced guns. The prices suck at
> all of these gunshows.

I agree with the latter half of what you said. I own six, now seven firearms, and was looking at Trady Jerrys table for a gen3 Glock 26 for concealed carry. They guy told me that he had some new for 498.00 and scoffed at me when I told him I saw it for 30 cheaper a few rows over. As long as you aren't an idiot you won't get taken advantage of.

Posted by: Hayfield Farm Gun Club ()
Date: February 10, 2012 09:44PM

Forgot that cesspit. Go to VA Arms in Herndon and save yourself the trouble.

Unless you're also in the market for beef jerky, dry rubs, shoddy reloads, and three wolf print blankets. Then the Dulles gun show will be worth your while.

Posted by: Troll Hunters ()
Date: February 10, 2012 09:52PM

Hayfield, r u on Remy Crypts?

Posted by: Hayfield Farm Gun Club ()
Date: February 10, 2012 10:07PM

Troll Hunters Wrote:
> Hayfield, r u on Remy Crypts?

You mean the thread on this site? I read it every now and then. Fascinating stuff. Why?

Posted by: Omegahb ()
Date: February 11, 2012 09:21AM

I've been to the last few shows and I find the prices more expensive than some of the local stores some of the larger internet retailers.
The show is good for people watching and being able to see and touch a lot of guns you might not see at one gun store.

Posted by: depends ()
Date: February 11, 2012 03:04PM

Omegahb Wrote:
> I've been to the last few shows and I find the
> prices more expensive than some of the local
> stores some of the larger internet retailers.
> The show is good for people watching and being
> able to see and touch a lot of guns you might not
> see at one gun store.

It all really depends on the product and where youre looking. Things are necessarily cheaper just because theyre there, but some things are. Plus with the internet sights (which usually are the cheapest) youd have to pay for the transfer and shipping which usually takes care of any savings. Va arms is a good place too as been recommended above

Posted by: super hassle factor ()
Date: February 11, 2012 07:19PM

Ive been going to these shows for years but today was by far the biggest mess I have ever seen.At 10 all the lots were filled and took half an hour to get in. We finally gave up after a couple hours as you couldnt even get up and down the aisles. I am just wondering how this will play out after the super Walmart opens next month. This was my last trip there, 12 bucks to see guns at retail prices and waiting hours to purchase one.

Posted by: Santa Fe ()
Date: February 11, 2012 09:54PM

Was it that bad? My friend and I were going to go, we're both 18 so just starting to look for handguns, not buying. Is it worth it for the fun experience?

Can you pick up and hold most of the (non-antique) guns?

Thanks

Posted by: been crowded ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:00PM

Santa Fe Wrote:
> Was it that bad? My friend and I were going to go,
> we're both 18 so just starting to look for
> handguns, not buying. Is it worth it for the fun
> experience?
>
> Can you pick up and hold most of the (non-antique)
> guns?
>
> Thanks

This ones been really crowded so far, it may not be that bad on sunday but if you really want to see a bunch of guns its worth it. You can touch a lot of the guns/scopes/knives there.

Posted by: R. Burgundy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:06PM

Just let me know if you need tickets to it.

Posted by: Bud Hoal... ()
Date: February 11, 2012 11:51PM

I stopped going to the Chantilly gun show. Too crowded and the dealers take advantage of the location...folks in Fairfax have plenty of cash, so there's no need to be competitive. The prices at the show are rarely discounted when compared to what you will find at most shops. On top of all that, the show attracts lots of militant weirdos. Whether it's the uber-coservatives trying to get you to sign a petition, the zit-faced-all-in-black trenchcoated twenty-stomethings, or the Marine Corps/NRA cap and jacketed walking fireplugs stinking of cigarettes, I just don't want to deal with them when I am trying to find something for the arsenal. My preference is to go to Virginia Arms. The store is clean, well organized and inventoried, and staffed by service-oriented folks who are there to help you. On top of all that, they don't charge you $12.00 to come into the store.

Posted by: What Is ()
Date: February 12, 2012 04:36AM

What is the titty situation? Is there any good nippleage? Or should I just go to Pentagon City? The problem there is I have to compete with all the coloreds looking to score that good white titty.

Also, is it safe to assume the Pagans don't show up at gun shows because they have special gun shows for gays?

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 12, 2012 04:50AM

Bud Hoal... Wrote:
> I stopped going to the Chantilly gun show. Too
> crowded and the dealers take advantage of the
> location...folks in Fairfax have plenty of cash,
> so there's no need to be competitive. The prices
> at the show are rarely discounted when compared to
> what you will find at most shops. On top of all
> that, the show attracts lots of militant weirdos.
> Whether it's the uber-coservatives trying to get
> you to sign a petition, the zit-faced-all-in-black
> trenchcoated twenty-stomethings, or the Marine
> Corps/NRA cap and jacketed walking fireplugs
> stinking of cigarettes, I just don't want to deal
> with them when I am trying to find something for
> the arsenal. My preference is to go to Virginia
> Arms. The store is clean, well organized and
> inventoried, and staffed by service-oriented folks
> who are there to help you. On top of all that,
> they don't charge you $12.00 to come into the
> store.

Couldn't have said it better. Virginia Arms is by far the best store in Virginia, and you are right, there is no price advantage at these shows, which seem to be populated by a lot of fringe elements of society.

Date: February 12, 2012 07:32AM

There are deals to be had there, you just have to be willing to take the time to find them.

I picked up a FNH FNP-9 at the last show with five 16 round mag's for $379, came to just over $400 with tax. I see them for $350 on-line, you only get three mags and they are 10 round, but after the transfer fee and shipping they end up being $450+.

It really depends on what you're looking for. AR's and AR variants are hot right now so if you go in trying to negotiate on one of those you probably won't get anywhere becasue there is another guy willing to pay what they are asking. If on the other hand you are looking for something that is not the hot gun to have right now you can get some good prices. Overall, for $12, it's not a bad way to pick up and handle a ton of different guns all in one place. If you can't afford the $12 admission you probably can't afford a firearm either so just stay home.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:47AM

BB*X Wrote:
> I picked up a FNH FNP-9 at the last show with five
> 16 round mag's for $379, came to just over $400
> with tax. I see them for $350 on-line, you only
> get three mags and they are 10 round, but after
> the transfer fee and shipping they end up being
> $450+.

Bullshit.

Date: February 13, 2012 09:11AM

Not bullshit at all. I can't recall the shop name, they were out of Fredericksburg, but I can dig around for the receipt to prove it. They were giving away two extra magazines with purchase because a FNH representative had given them a box of extra mags and they decided to give them away as an incentive at the show. They had the same deal on the FNP40. The table was in the far back right corner assuming you are facing the back wall and had just come in the front door.

Sweet gun by the way, love the way it feels and it came with two interchangeable back straps for the grips.

Date: February 13, 2012 09:19AM

Just went back and pulled my credit card statement from Oct. and here's the transaction. I know this doesn't prove to you that is was an FNP9 but that's what I bought and this was the total. I do believe I made one mistake though, the purchase price was $399 not $379, and there was a $3 fee for background check.

LIBERTY ARMS & SURPLUS HOPEWELL VA $421.95

Posted by: mgnut ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:06AM

BB*X Wrote:
> Not bullshit at all. I can't recall the shop
> name, they were out of Fredericksburg, but I can
> dig around for the receipt to prove it. They were
> giving away two extra magazines with purchase
> because a FNH representative had given them a box
> of extra mags and they decided to give them away
> as an incentive at the show. They had the same
> deal on the FNP40. The table was in the far back
> right corner assuming you are facing the back wall
> and had just come in the front door.
>
> Sweet gun by the way, love the way it feels and it
> came with two interchangeable back straps for the
> grips.

Probably SSG Tactical. They are in Fredericksburg and were in the back right area of the show.

Posted by: FBO ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:18AM

That fucking show was pathetic. High prices and dumb people paying high prices.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I say "fuck" a lot...

Posted by: Maine ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:30AM

Drove in front of the show in Chantilly around noon on Saturday. 350+ person lines coming from both directions and the lines did not seem to be moving. Definitely not worth waiting in line an hour and then dealing with a crowded show. I have been to that show several times the last few years and never had a problem getting in.

Posted by: frontoftheline ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:50AM

Retirement has it's perks. I always to early on Friday. Not much
problem then.

Posted by: not again ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:10AM

Yes but it has turned into a show and tell, even the used stuff was out of sight, what a waste of time and 12 bucks. Hopefully Walmart will drive them elsewhere

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.