HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
3 tickets in three months
Posted by: KeithE ()
Date: February 08, 2012 07:32PM

My 18 yo son has just received his third ticket in as many months.
1. Speeding 10-19
2. Disregarding a stop sign
3. Disregard road markings
I tried to search on the VA DMV website about what happens at what point when so many violations occur in a specified period of time. I can't find the reference. Does anyone know or have the link? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 tickets in three months
Posted by: jigga ()
Date: February 08, 2012 08:29PM

It seems like 1. and 3. are 4 point violations and 2. is 3, bringing the total to 11 in 12 months assuming conviction, however I could be wrong.

Drivers Age 18 and Over
If you are age 18 or 19, you will be required to complete a driver improvement clinic after your first demerit point conviction if the violation was committed while you were under age 20 (including safety belt and child restraint violations). If you are 18 and older and you accumulate eight demerit points in 12 months (or 12 points in 24 months), you will receive an advisory letter that cautions you about the consequences of violating the law. If you accumulate 12 demerit points in 12 months (or 18 points in 24 months), you will be required to complete a driver improvement clinic. You must enroll in and satisfactorily complete the driver improvement clinic within 90 days. If you accumulate 18 demerit points in 12 months (or 24 points in 24 months), your driving privilege will be suspended for 90 days. Additionally, you must complete a driver improvement clinic before your privilege will be restored. Once your privilege is restored, you will be placed on a six-month probation

edit: link for reference, http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/point-system.php#Suspension-of-Your-License

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 08:31PM by jigga.

Posted by: USure? ()
Date: February 08, 2012 08:48PM

jigga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Drivers Age 18 and Over
> If you are age 18 or 19, you will be required to
> complete a driver improvement clinic after your
> first demerit point conviction if the violation
> was committed while you were under age 20
> (including safety belt and child restraint
> violations). If you are 18 and older and you
> accumulate eight demerit points in 12 months (or
> 12 points in 24 months), you will receive an
> advisory letter that cautions you about the
> consequences of violating the law. If you
> accumulate 12 demerit points in 12 months (or 18
> points in 24 months), you will be required to
> complete a driver improvement clinic. You must
> enroll in and satisfactorily complete the driver
> improvement clinic within 90 days. If you
> accumulate 18 demerit points in 12 months (or 24
> points in 24 months), your driving privilege will
> be suspended for 90 days. Additionally, you must
> complete a driver improvement clinic before your
> privilege will be restored. Once your privilege is
> restored, you will be placed on a six-month
> probation
>
> edit: link for reference,
> http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/point-system.php#Su
> spension-of-Your-License

The link you gave shows this (nothing special about 18-19 yr olds):

Under Age 18
If you're convicted of a demerit point traffic violation, you will be required to complete a driver improvement clinic. If you do not complete this requirement within 90 days, the DMV will suspend your license.

Age 18 or Older

If you accumulate 12 demerit points within 12 months, or 18 demerit points within 24 months, you will be required to complete a driver improvement clinic. If you fail to complete this course within 90 days, the DMV will suspend your license.If you accumulate 18 points within 12 months or 24 points within 24 months, the DMV will automatically suspend your license.

Posted by: jigga ()
Date: February 08, 2012 09:01PM

I am sure.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv114.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 09:02PM by jigga.

Posted by: new member ()
Date: February 08, 2012 09:03PM

your son is going to end up at kilroys on wednesday night if you don't straighten his ass out.

Posted by: KeithE ()
Date: February 08, 2012 09:12PM

Great, thanks for the information, especially the last warning!

Posted by: fo ()
Date: February 08, 2012 09:13PM

I think you should look into the great "pre-need" specials at your local funeral parlor.

Date: February 08, 2012 09:19PM

I cannot wait to see what your insurance bill is going to be at renewal time!

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: February 08, 2012 09:37PM

I did this exact same thing, granted it was when I was 18. The actual charge doesn't matter so much, it's all based on points. I received three tickets within two years that totalled up to 12 points, I had gone one year with no tickets so I had one positive point leaving me at -11. I had to take a driver improvement course one Saturday, it cost me $75 and it was from 8am to 4pm. My dad made me pay the difference between what my insurance cost before the tickets and after. I paid as much as he did, insurance companies are not forgiving of 18 year olds with 11 points in two years let alone three months.

Posted by: unreal ()
Date: February 08, 2012 11:46PM

Have your son take a driver improvment class ASAP for insurance reasons even if he is not suspended. Were any of the tickets involving an accident which he was at fault? That makes a differnece in points.

Posted by: Taylor ()
Date: February 09, 2012 12:00AM

When I was that age, my Parents made sure that I understood that being allowed to drive a car was a PRIVILEGE, not a "right". I had to purchase my own car, and when I got my first speeding ticket I ended up having to take public-transit for 3 months if I wanted to go anywhere. My Parents told me to either hand over the keys to my car or find a new place to live. There's NO WAY IN HELL that my Parents would have let me keep a car or drive if I had racked up 3 tickets in 3 months.

YOU are the problem. You coddle your Son with your permissive behavior. Is it any wonder that he keeps getting tickets? There's no penalty for him when he does. Daddy pays his tickets, gets him a lawyer, and makes sure that he suffers no consequences for his actions. It pisses me off because your Son isn't just risking his own safety with his behavior. He's risking MINE and everyone else's on the road, and YOU'RE the one enabling it with your lax, negligent parenting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 12:01AM by Taylor.

Posted by: Ding an sich ()
Date: February 09, 2012 01:13AM

Don't listen to these judgemental morons, there's nothing wrong with your son. He just needs to be more careful with and aware of the law.

Have him take a safe driving class. Let him know if he keeps it's up, he'll either lose his license or have his insurence dropped.

Posted by: Ding an sich ()
Date: February 09, 2012 01:15AM

Taylor Wrote:
> When I was that age, my Parents made sure that I
> understood that being allowed to drive a car was a
> PRIVILEGE, not a "right".

Despite much insistance to the contrary, in that context, the terms 'right' and 'privilege' are synonymous.
It's a stupid and over-used slogan anyway.

Posted by: Leon Gorwald ()
Date: February 09, 2012 05:20AM

He does have a part time job to pay for the rate increase on the insurance?

kiss my bumper

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: February 09, 2012 07:40AM

"It pisses me off because your Son isn't just risking his own safety with his behavior. He's risking MINE and everyone else's on the road, and YOU'RE the one enabling it with your lax, negligent parenting."

Jesus, take the broom stick out of your ass. The kid is not driving around drunk running people off the road. He got a speeding ticket for 10-19mph over, that's nothing. Disregarding a stop sign usually means he slowed down, saw no one coming and proceeded without actually coming to a complete stop, sometimes referred to as a California stop. Disregarding road marking could be anything, he may have changed lanes when entering a highway and crossed the solid white line before he was supposed to.

Yeah, lock him up and throw away the key, and puit his dad in there with him because he is obviously a horrible parent when he allows a teenage boy to get some tickets, oh the horror.

Posted by: The Gecko ()
Date: February 09, 2012 07:43AM

Ding an sich Wrote:
> Don't listen to these judgemental morons, there's
> nothing wrong with your son. He just needs to be
> more careful with and aware of the law.
>
> Have him take a safe driving class. Let him know
> if he keeps it's up, he'll either lose his license
> or have his insurence dropped.

Lets see how forgiving you are when the little dickhead blows through a stop sign and puts you or your family in the hospital,"Aware of the law"?? Maybe he needs to have mommy read the little book with pictures they give you at DMV... liberal moron.

Date: February 09, 2012 08:31AM

Three tickets in a year shows pretty blatant disregard or ignorance of the laws. You are supposed to rethink your actions after a citation.

Multiple offenses tells me that he simply does not give a shit and it is only a matter of time before he injures or kills someone. Preferably himself.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Date: February 09, 2012 09:37AM

HELLO,

I OPERATE A DRIVER IMPROVEMENT CLINIC IN VA. HERE ARE THE RULES.

1.DRIVERS UNDER THE AGE OF 20 (AT THE TIME OF THE VIOLATION) WILL BE REQUIRED BY THE DMV TO ATTEND AN 8 HOUR DRIVER IMPROVEMENT CLASS FOR EACH AND EVERY VIOLATION.

2. IF THE DRIVER GET 18 DEMERIT POINTS IN 12 MONTHS, THE LICENSE WILL BE SUSPENDED.

WWW.INEEDACLASS.COM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.