HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Nissan Pavilion
Posted by: avantgarde ()
Date: March 05, 2008 07:58PM

how big is nissan pavilion compared to wolf trap? and how are the acoustics and viewing quality and such?

i'm going to the Radiohead show on May 11th and i'm very excited, except i've heard some bad things about Nissan Pavilion

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nissan Pavilion
Posted by: DAG ()
Date: March 05, 2008 08:39PM

NP is, oh...5 Wolf Traps. Size-wise, there is no comparison.

If you wanna see anything, avoid the lawn at all costs. Even the cheap seats do not provide a very good view. Pricing for good seats gets high, so sometimes the cost/benefit gets tricky IMO.

Acoustically, I believe the entire venue is fine. If you're goin' to be blind drunk, then land on the lawn and you'll be just fine.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 06, 2008 07:55AM

What is wrong with the lawn at NP? It isn't any worse than any other pavilion's lawn.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:55AM

pgens, I don't believe they are commenting on the lawn's quality. I believe all of us agree the np lawn is fine, but in general, lawn seats suck wherever you are, due to the distance from (except wolftrap because the lawn is so much closer)

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:14AM

Ah. I prefer lawn just because nowadays no one can stay at their seat for more than ten minutes. It's like a constant stream of assholes that have to move past you every second. I like the lawn only because one can move if you happen to be near some annoying asshole, but naturally the view is worse.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: March 06, 2008 10:18AM

All of us do not agree the lawn at Nissan is fine. It is slighly better than Wolf Trap in that the proletarians there do not bring in their nachos and beer and gorge themselves into oblivion (Nissan doesn't allow food or drinks from the outside), but you have to climb up that HUGE HILL and coming from the pavilion, I have seen someone take a fall more than once coming down that hill.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: March 06, 2008 11:51AM

IMO the lawn at Nissan is actually better because you have some jumbo-tron screens to watch. I haven't seen one at Wolftrap yet, so if your in the lawn you basically see nothing. However the BYOB makes it worthwhile! Love wolftrap for that reason. ohh yeah, and because it's federal land you don't have gap toothed inbred Prince William Nazis roaming the grounds extorting revenue from fans for their POS 3rd world county.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:48PM

the grass is comfortable to pass out on as well :)

Posted by: jake ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:55PM

I haven't been in a few years so things may have changed but does the parking situation still suck?

If so, you may want to either get there early so you can park near the exit or plan to hang out tailgating in the parking lot for a long time after the show to let the crowd thin out.

The facility itself is first rate, I may try to catch the Radiohead show myself.

Posted by: Harry Beaver ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:58PM

parking on the gravel lot was never a problem for me.

they direct people pretty well.

Posted by: WestOx ()
Date: March 06, 2008 04:09PM

I saw Wilco there a while back and was seated on the lawn., It was an awesome show, you could hear the band great, see the band with the gian monitors on either side of the stage. Tweedy asked for the lights to be turned on and you could see ALL of us massed on the small hill/bowl. Tweedy, "thats a fuckload of people". LOL

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: March 06, 2008 05:45PM

Nissan is fine. Getting TO Nissan is what sucks A.S.S. And I mean, sucks ass - with corn around the rim.

We went to see Def Leppard two years ago and it took close to 2.5 hours to go from Fair Oaks area to the Pavilion. First you have the goddamned I-66 to deal with. Then 234. Then that fucking single lane road leading from 234 to the Pavilion.

You want to see a concert there? Plan on leaving the Beltway/I-66 interchange FOUR hours before the concert even begins.

Posted by: RickyBobby ()
Date: March 06, 2008 06:46PM

Yeah the lawn is great for viewing, especially when the rain comes down. Makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: March 06, 2008 06:58PM

WMZQFest is always a great time. Never seen so much beer in my life

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 07, 2008 10:05AM

wait didnt Wilco play Merryweather Post pavilion? or was i at the wrong show in 2k5?

Posted by: avantgarde ()
Date: March 26, 2008 08:33PM

okay thanks guys.
cant wait to see Radiohead!

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: March 26, 2008 08:58PM

avantgarde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how big is nissan pavilion compared to wolf trap?
> and how are the acoustics and viewing quality and
> such?
>
> i'm going to the Radiohead show on May 11th and
> i'm very excited, except i've heard some bad
> things about Nissan Pavilion

Wolf Trap Seating capacity: 7,000 total (in-house: 3,800; lawn: 3,200)
Nissan Pavilion 25,000 Total (In-house 9000 approx, lawn 15,000 approx)
Merriweather Post 15,200 Total (in-house 6500 approx, 8000 Lawn)

The 20 year lease on Nissan Pavilion by SFX expires June 14. 2014. The 10 year lease SFX had on Merriweather Post expired December 31, 2007 and was not renewed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 09:06PM by Radiophile.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:33PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Nissan is fine. Getting TO Nissan is what sucks
> A.S.S. And I mean, sucks ass - with corn around
> the rim.
>
> We went to see Def Leppard two years ago and it
> took close to 2.5 hours to go from Fair Oaks area
> to the Pavilion. First you have the goddamned
> I-66 to deal with. Then 234. Then that fucking
> single lane road leading from 234 to the
> Pavilion.
>
> You want to see a concert there? Plan on leaving
> the Beltway/I-66 interchange FOUR hours before the
> concert even begins.

Oh no no no here is where you are mistaken :-) A few months ago they opened up the new lanes on 66 right before 29, and now you take the 1st exit (29N) instead of the old exit (29S) and they rerouted traffic down University Drive (a brand new road). This has alleviated the old bumper to bumper concert traffic tremendously. Try it, you'll like it =D

Posted by: Mars Volta ()
Date: May 12, 2008 10:10PM

awful experience

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:34AM

SE Wrote:
> ITRADE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nissan is fine. Getting TO Nissan is what
> sucks
> > A.S.S. And I mean, sucks ass - with corn
> around
> > the rim.
> >
> > We went to see Def Leppard two years ago and it
> > took close to 2.5 hours to go from Fair Oaks
> area
> > to the Pavilion. First you have the goddamned
> > I-66 to deal with. Then 234. Then that
> fucking
> > single lane road leading from 234 to the
> > Pavilion.
> >
> > You want to see a concert there? Plan on
> leaving
> > the Beltway/I-66 interchange FOUR hours before
> the
> > concert even begins.
>
>
> Oh no no no here is where you are mistaken :-) A
> few months ago they opened up the new lanes on 66
> right before 29, and now you take the 1st exit
> (29N) instead of the old exit (29S) and they
> rerouted traffic down University Drive (a brand
> new road). This has alleviated the old bumper to
> bumper concert traffic tremendously. Try it,
> you'll like it =D

According to this morning's Washington Post some concert goers for Radiohead spent eight hours in traffic on Sunday night.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:46AM

Yes, I have friends who were there- they said it was an absolute nightmare, the worst traffic they've ever seen out there. They left home early and still missed the first 45 minutes of the show, and it took them more than 2 hours to get out of the lot and onto 66 afterwards.

Posted by: billboards ()
Date: May 17, 2008 01:33PM

Posted by: Radiohead Fan ()
Date: May 18, 2008 09:16PM

I went with lawn tickets and the concert was INCREDIBLE. The weather, however, was miserable.

Posted by: allineed ()
Date: May 19, 2008 03:01PM

it was fucking hell out there, almost ruined it completely. plus the sound quality at nissan blows!

Posted by: Lah'Keyah ()
Date: August 19, 2012 01:56PM

is the lawn seats at the Nissan Pavilion bad? i have lawn seats for the Big Time Rush Concert tonight, August 19,2012. if it rains would i get wet by sitting in the lawn seats. & is it really bad seats?

Posted by: Don't go! ()
Date: August 19, 2012 02:30PM

The whole place sucks. Lawn seats are the worst.

Posted by: ffxgal ()
Date: May 12, 2013 06:35PM

I'm thinking of going to the WMZQ concert alone...would it be weird if i got lawn tickets and sit by myself (hoping to meet people), or should i get a seat? they are both similar prices (around $90). will the lawn seats be worth it in that case?

Posted by: ffxgal84 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 06:36PM

I'm thinking of going to the WMZQ concert alone...would it be weird if i got lawn tickets and sit by myself (hoping to meet people), or should i get a seat? they are both similar prices (around $90). will the lawn seats be worth it in that case?

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: May 12, 2013 06:51PM

Yes going to a concert alone is weird. You will look like a terrorist. Wont matter where you sit. Unless youre a hot chick.

By the way if youve never been, be prepared for some of the worst traffic nightmares you can imagine. It's a free for all most of the time with no direction or assitance. One of the many reasons i refuse to go to that dump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 06:53PM by Stabitha.

Posted by: good luck ()
Date: May 12, 2013 06:59PM

Good luck getting in and then out. It will take you an hour of Mad Max type car action to get out of the parking lot...

Posted by: avoid at all cost ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:28PM

Based solely on the FOUR HOURS it took me to drive out of that fucking third circle of hell when I went to a concert last year, I will never go back no matter who is playing.

Posted by: Jiffy Lube Live Rocks ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:01AM

For the price difference, I don't think the lawn is a bad choice at all. It's awesome. You can't spot the freckles on a bassist but you can def enjoy the concert just fine. I feel like every concert I've been to there has been even better because I had lawn tickets. Gives it a more hippie feel, so people end up friendly and all that good shit. Never encountered an asshole, even at a death metal fest. Most shows I've been to there have been classic rock though.

Beer is expensive though, about 12 bucks for a 24 ounce. I'd definitely recommend a pre-game session and plan to get home safe, a DD.

Posted by: Jiffy Lube Live Rocks ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:48AM

ffxgal84 Wrote:
> I'm thinking of going to the WMZQ concert
> alone...would it be weird if i got lawn tickets
> and sit by myself (hoping to meet people), or
> should i get a seat? they are both similar prices
> (around $90). will the lawn seats be worth it in
> that case?

Don't mind these creatures, go! Lawn tickets are great if you don't mind sitting on the grass. These creatures will complain about anything and everything! Seriously the hill? Cmon, you can't be that lazy that you'll complain about having to walk up like three flights of stairs? Can't believe some people.

I've never had a serious issue with parking... they usually had people directing every few yards and it's never been horrendous getting in or out in the past few years. I've never driven though and I've usually been a little drunk but I don't remember any crazy four hour hold ups.

Anyway, what've you got to lose? At the very least, you'll enjoy the music.

Posted by: lawn tickets ()
Date: May 13, 2013 07:23AM

Lawn tickets are great - its almost like being at the show!!

Posted by: A big Meade fan ()
Date: May 13, 2013 09:31AM

Is Meade planning at being there this season? I sure hope so!

Traffic means nothing when it comes to the opportunity to see Meade on one of his rare Northern Virginia appearances.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.