HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cardinal Forest Plaza Shell Price Manipulation
Posted by: Upset at Shell ()
Date: January 28, 2012 06:21PM

Has anyone else noticed how the Cardinal Forest Plaza Shell Station gas price has been changing almost daily now? Wednesday the price was $3.49, Thursday the price was $3.54, Friday the price was $3.53 and now on Saturday the price is $3.59! What is going on with these people! They can't be getting new fuel deliveries every day! I have committed to never get gas from them again, but the problem is all of the gas stations around them follow suit when the price is changed. We need to boycott these people and stop them from manipulating the price of gas in West Springfield!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cardinal Forest Plaza Shell Price Manipulation
Posted by: Johnny Rockets ()
Date: January 28, 2012 06:31PM

This is not only West Springfield, but everywhere. It starts at the top, the corporate greed along with OPEC collusion, and a President who doesn't want to open new pipelines and other energy sources. Thus squeezing you, me, all of us. Its complete bullshit, and this collusion is more than unethical, its apalling and its time to stop screwing our neighbors up North in Canada as well. They are stable, unlike the fucked up regimes in the Middle East

Posted by: CP Shell ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:22PM

That shell station typically receives daily fuel deliveries. Every night they measure and input the readings into the computer at which time an order is automatically submitted to refuel. Do you notice that the mid and high grades generally have less fluctuation in price?

Posted by: fookin prawns ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:24PM

It's the stinkin' towelheads.

Posted by: Prices ()
Date: January 28, 2012 07:53PM

Although they are not getting deliveries everyday they price it based on what future deliveries are going to cost. It's not like the Shell station did it across the country prices have gone up 10 cents in the last week. I don't think prices in Atlanta, GA went up based on the Shell in Springfield, VA.

Posted by: every commodity does this ()
Date: January 28, 2012 09:34PM

I worked in a grocery store and they do the same thing. If a price changes on a product, all of the items already on the shelf are also switched to the new higher price. The sign in front of the shelf gets changed right away. It's just how it works.

Posted by: every commodity does this ()
Date: January 28, 2012 09:35PM

If the price change is a decline, all the items get a price decline right away. It works both ways.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: January 28, 2012 09:46PM

Blame it on the central banks (and their respective host governments) for printing money. Unleaded gasoline (RBOB) is up 10 cents over the last two days. Helicopter Ben matched the ECB on 3yrs free money for the Too-Big-To-Fail banks. Zero interest rates are bad for stockbrokers, insurance companies, pension funds, retirees, etc.

Date: January 30, 2012 09:07PM

every commodity does this Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I worked in a grocery store and they do the same
> thing. If a price changes on a product, all of
> the items already on the shelf are also switched
> to the new higher price. The sign in front of the
> shelf gets changed right away. It's just how it
> works.

If this truly is the case, why aren't the other gas stations right around them changing the prices at the same time?

Posted by: Abdul Aziz ()
Date: January 30, 2012 09:50PM

All gas stations are evil. Do the right thing and never buy gas at the worst offenders, such as the Exxon (or whatever it is now) at Rolling Rd and Braddock, where the price is always 20 cents higher per gallon than other nearby stations.

Posted by: skav ()
Date: January 30, 2012 10:54PM

Having lived in this area for a loong time, it used to be in my experience that Exxon always had the highest price gas. Now however, around the Vienna/Oakton/Ffx area, the highest price gas always seems to be at Shell stations. My unscientific theory, is that it has something to do with the discounting they do for those who shop at Giant food stores. If Giant is your choice of food store anyhow, you probably use your Giant Card, which builds up discount points for use at Shell stations. At a point per dollar spent, once at a 100 points, you get 10 cents off a gallon, 200 points gets a 20 cent discount..and so on... the offer tops out at $2.20.

The theory is that very few if any are saving up beyond a few hundred dollars before they use their rewards for gas. My guess is the average discount used is between 10-40 cents, this way...if the Shell gas is 20 cents higher than you can find it at other nearby locatoins,you are breaking even or saving very little, unless you are coming in with a very high discount. In any case, it always softens the blow for the Shell station when their gas is more expensive. Madison Shell at the Nutley/123 intersection is always 20 cents more expensive than places at ffx circle, always.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 01, 2012 06:43AM

skav Wrote:

> The theory is that very few if any are saving up
> beyond a few hundred dollars before they use
> their rewards for gas. My guess is the average
> discount used is between 10-40 cents, this
> way...if the Shell gas is 20 cents higher than you
> can find it at other nearby locatoins,you are
> breaking even or saving very little, unless you
> are coming in with a very high discount. In any
> case, it always softens the blow for the Shell
> station when their gas is more expensive. Madison
> Shell

It's Madison Time!

Fairfaxunderground rules: Lilliputions, not ok. Midgettville ok. I got it now.

Date: March 09, 2012 06:23PM

Just because I won't let this end the famous five jacked up gas prices 20 cents a gallon today. When I passed by in the morning it was $3.73/gallon and this afternoon it had been raised to $3.93/gallon. What a bunch of thieves.

Posted by: Gunrunner ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:29PM

I've been buying my gas at Liberty.They usually have the lowest prices.I think it was 3.74 at the one in Falls Chuch on Washington st.

Posted by: pirates of oil ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:57PM

Shell on Burke Centre by Safeway. $3.85 one day $4.09 the next.

Posted by: Arrogant Kenyan ()
Date: March 09, 2012 07:04PM

Thank u Mr. President Thank you very much (ITS WHAT HE WANTS) Make no Mistake

Good Luck America

Posted by: barry is not my king ()
Date: March 09, 2012 07:08PM

The Republicans could destroy Obama on the Keystone issue alone but yet they say nothing and harp about abortion. Four more years of Barry looms ahead.

Posted by: warren buffett ()
Date: March 10, 2012 02:40AM

Is there a way to pass legislation to control speculators from driving up the price of oil?
Can gasoline companies play in the commodities market to drive up the cost of oil?

Posted by: up to you ()
Date: March 10, 2012 07:31AM

Bend over for Obama! You can flush you future down the toilet if you don't vote to defeat him. There is NOTHING he won't do to get re elected. Gas prices are the least of our worries.

Posted by: 4 more years, II ()
Date: March 10, 2012 07:40AM

Some folks (probably someONE) doesn't know how commodity pricing works.

Posted by: barry the leader ()
Date: March 10, 2012 09:36AM

4 more years, II Wrote:
> Some folks (probably someONE) doesn't know how
> commodity pricing works.

Sure and three years ago they were blaming Bush for taking care of his oil buddies, now its the commodity traders to blame and the President has nothing to do with it. Funny how that works.

Posted by: 4 more years, II ()
Date: March 10, 2012 10:16AM

barry the leader Wrote:
> Sure and three years ago they were blaming Bush
> for taking care of his oil buddies, now its the
> commodity traders to blame

You DO understand, right?, that "Bush's oil buddies" =are= the commodities traders, right?

Funny how that continues to work, eh?

Posted by: kool aid antidote ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:11AM

Just how does one take care of his oil buddies in the commondity market? If I want to buy oil futures I buy them. I do not need Bushs help. I can hold them or sell them based on how I believe the price of oil will go up or down.

The only way a President could help out his oil buddies would be to block future drilling or imports of oil. That way the futures price of oil goes up. Now as I recall it was Obama who blocked Keystone not Bush.

Posted by: it's policy ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:16AM

Current Obama Energy Secretary Chu was interviewed in September 2008 by the Wall Street Journal, which quoted from that interview the following December after Chu was named as a prospective energy secretary.

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," the Journal reported Chu as saying.

Posted by: Also ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:20AM

Unless you are on welfare you better check and see where your retirement funds are invested. Your 401k and other retirement ventures are directly tied to corporations. They make money you make money.

It is easy for Obama to preach about evil corporations, it works quite well on the stupid or jealous. But you are part of the evil corporation he is talking about. You, your coworkers and anyone invested in stocks and bonds.

Posted by: lets just do it ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:28AM

The democrats mindset. Note how she says she will take the oil companies profits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0So48eKMu10

Posted by: your heroes ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:30AM

Oops more slips from liberals. their true intent

Posted by: she all dat ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:34AM

^^^ The people on the right are smiling at this clown holding a seat in the congress.

Posted by: she all dat ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:35AM

on her right

Posted by: more heroes ()
Date: March 10, 2012 11:40AM

Posted by: Les ()
Date: March 10, 2012 12:47PM

At the time Chu was quoted, oil had already reached $150. It fell to $25 in early 2009. The price of crude oil tripled from 2007 to fall of 2008.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.