HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Air Florida 30 years TODAY
Posted by: passenger57 ()
Date: January 13, 2012 08:27AM

What are you stories...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Air Florida 30 years TODAY
Posted by: Captain Crunch ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:06AM

I think I remember Greaseman or Howard Stern getting suspended by DC101 for making a joke about it. Something like "What were passengers served on plane? 5Alive"

Date: January 13, 2012 09:17AM

I thought it was a call to the Air Florida reservation line and then a request for a quote for airfare from National to the 14th Street Bridge.

That crash was a colossal failure by the airline - lack of pilot training; lack of ground crew training. 100 percent totally and completely preventable.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: The Hebrew Hammer ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:17AM

It was Howard Stern - He called up the air florida desk and asked how much a 1 way ticket to the 14th street bridge would be

Posted by: TYPICAL ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:27AM

Wow, I just knew before reading the posts that people would talk about Howard Sterns joke on DC101.

Posted by: Chapel Square Elem ()
Date: January 13, 2012 10:10AM

One of the girls in my 6th grade class Carol S. lost her father in the crash.

Posted by: just the fax ()
Date: January 13, 2012 10:25AM

That is not what happened; a lot of people got that wrong and even Stern stopped trying to correct it.

What really happened is Stern called Air Florida's 800 # and asked if the 14th St. Bridge would become a "regular stop."

Posted by: Old Man ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:40PM

There was an Amtrak jingle back then: "Take the plane to the train" which soon became "Take the plane to the bridge." Amazing how we could pass those around without an internet.

Posted by: I Remember ()
Date: January 13, 2012 05:04PM

I remember that the snow was brutal that day. I hitched a ride from downtown to Crystal City with a co-worker in stop and go traffic. I stopped in at a CC Underground store that had a TV on, and heard about the Flight 90 flight, and the Metro subway crash that killed three people half an hour later. I believe that was the first metro passenger fatality. Just an incredibly bizarre series of events that day.

Posted by: YEP ()
Date: January 13, 2012 05:49PM

Was FCPS closed that day for snow?

Posted by: DH ()
Date: January 13, 2012 07:00PM

I have a friend who was suppose to be on that flight, luckly she had changed it to a couple days later.

Posted by: Sticky Fingers ()
Date: January 13, 2012 08:31PM

I still have the wallet that I found on the bank of the Potomac the following day.

Posted by: SNL dude ()
Date: January 13, 2012 08:51PM

Wasnt this around the same time that Buckwheat was shot?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:23PM

My neighbor was one of the guys on the riverbank helping out. He happened to have a rope in his trunk and took it down there to help pull people out.

Posted by: cim ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:24PM

YEP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was FCPS closed that day for snow?

It either was or they closed early and even the dumbest motherfucker on here would have thought it was justified.

I lived on my boat at Columbia Island back then and was aboard her when the plane crashed. I worked at the Pentagon so the Govt must have closed early or I wouldn't have been on the boat at that hour. That was a wicked snowstorm. It was so cold that every flake that fell---stuck. The river was frozen so solid you skate.

Anyway, I heard the crash and me and a buddy dragged a Zodiac (inflatable boat) over to the river bank between the bridges. We got there just as Lenny Skutnik dove in after that flight attendant.

The people I felt sorriest for were in those cars on the bridge. The tail of that plane clipped the bridge and killed some people sitting in cars. It was carnage on that fucking bridge. Can you imagine sitting in your car, stopped in a blinding snowstorm, and having an airliner crash on top of you?

Posted by: Scott ()
Date: January 14, 2012 02:31PM

YEP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was FCPS closed that day for snow?

There was an early closing that day.

Date: January 14, 2012 02:40PM

I didn't live here when it happened, but I remember coming home from school and watching the guy rescue that chick when she fell off the rope. He was a true hero.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: January 14, 2012 02:45PM

Lenny Skutnik was my next door neighbor,,,bravest guy I ever knew,,,really great guy,,,

The news media was camped out on my doorstep for hours,,,,

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.