HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sesna Plane on Rt 50
Posted by: Ya! ()
Date: February 20, 2008 10:37AM

Has anyone seen that thing on route 50, a bit past South Riding, right side, going west on 50.

Who owns that thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sesna Plane on Rt 50
Posted by: Ya! ()
Date: February 20, 2008 10:38AM

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: February 20, 2008 06:05PM

Awesome link!!! I've always wondered about that plane. That plane is always sitting there.

Anybody ever seen that plane take off or land?

Date: February 20, 2008 06:21PM

Summary of the link:
According to an article by Lynn Wolstenholme in the 1/2/08 issue of the Loudoun Times-Mirror, the sole remaining plane based at Glascock Field was the Cessna 150 owned by 89 year old Fairfax resident Howard Junkerman.

Howard reported, “I use the field & go up for leisure & travel.”

According to the Loudoun Times-Mirror article, “eventually the landing strip will be surrounded by 276 homes, a more than 1-million square foot office park and a hospice center with 2 heliport pads. Loudoun's Board of Supervisors recently approved Van Metre's rezoning application for the property.” However, the contention that the Glascock Airport property will be used for a “hospice center”
it is contradicted by HCA Healthcare on their website, in which they say “HCA Virginia today announced plans to develop a new medical campus on 49 acres of land it has acquired on Route 50 in southern Loudoun County.

HCA Virginia’s 49-acre site is located at the intersection of Route 50 & Gum Spring Road, and adjacent to Glascock Field, an airplane landing strip.
The land is currently undeveloped & is already zoned for outpatient medical facility use. We plan to develop the property in 2 phases - first, by providing outpatient services, and later by building a hospital.”

Glascock Field is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Route 50 & Gum Spring Road.
Attachments:
Glascock_VA_rw36_01.jpg

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: February 20, 2008 08:58PM

Howard was out there a few weeks ago working on his plane (I drive by every day), along with a herd of about 6 deer halfway down the runway.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: February 21, 2008 12:54AM

Cool, I wasn't sure what this was about until I scrolled down and recognized the scene in the photo.

It's a shame that the airfield will get "sprawled to death".

Posted by: MeadeSez ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:00AM

Airfields like this are common around the Richmond area.
No encroaching townhouse communities either
Attachments:
dirthysouth.jpg

Date: February 21, 2008 12:09PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Howard was out there a few weeks ago working on
> his plane (I drive by every day), along with a
> herd of about 6 deer halfway down the runway.

Damn he's 89, still flying and fixing his own plane. That's one tough Senior Citizen!

Posted by: Guest123 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 02:54PM

Thats so cool! I keep my horses on rt 50 a little ways down from the airplane. I always see it and wonder about it. Now I know!

Posted by: Steve G ()
Date: September 27, 2011 05:18PM

Do you know if the airfield will remain or will the new buildings block the landing strip?

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: September 27, 2011 06:06PM

Steve G Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know if the airfield will remain or will
> the new buildings block the landing strip?

The FAA actually has a hand in such things - they protect the "arispace", ya know.
So...if they allow buildings to block the pattern, they've signed the airport's eath knell.

[that field is within the control area of Dulles, so they have to have tower permission for everything already]

Posted by: Larry ()
Date: September 27, 2011 06:10PM

The entire lot was purchased for development (several) years ago leading to medical buildings that include an elderly assisted living/Hospice complex. The economy has slowed the build-out for only a short time... and the airfield will disappear, completely.

Worth noting: Check out the old Hess Gas station building on the NE corner of Gum Springs Rd. and Rt. 50... it's in the trees but you can make out the former white building and green stripes that were once a Hess filling station!

Posted by: English Policeman ()
Date: September 27, 2011 06:53PM

Hey dumb fuck, it's Cessna not Sesna!

Posted by: Arlingtonkid ()
Date: September 27, 2011 07:31PM

In the twenty plus years of going past the air strip, there has only been a few times the plane has not been there.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: September 27, 2011 07:52PM

For some reason I seem to remember a drop box on-site into which you were asked to drop some bucks or something if you decided to fly into/out of there.

I have NO IDEA why I seem to remember that other than MAYBE a sign near the Rt 50 side? Don't remember.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.