HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Redskins' radio broadcasts
Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: December 05, 2011 09:57AM

I am new to NoVa....and not a Skins fan. Yet I do listen to the games when driving kids around to and from their sports....
While I admire the fervor of the Redskin Nation, WTF is up with their radio broadcasters??? They are the worst. You can barely tell what is happening during the game. While I am neutral on Snyder, he should fire that entire group - they are beyond unprofessional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Redskins' radio broadcasts
Date: December 05, 2011 10:12AM

I love to listen to the exasperation of Sonny and Sam after another Deadskins implosion.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: December 05, 2011 10:12AM

I used to prefer to listen to the radio broadcast vs. watch it on TV as I don't care for the over-the-top pomp and circumstance that accompanies *any* NFL game (it's a game, not the second coming folks!). After this season, however, I'm changing my tune. While Sonny and Larry do an okay job, Sam Huff needs to step down. Actually, the folks at Red Zebra need to remove him from the booth as he's no longer aware of what's going on. His lack of awareness is hard to listen to and embarrassing.

Just during yesterday's game alone, I cringed more than a few times when it was obvious that he had no idea what was going on. The three that stand out are as follows:

1) It's 3rd and 18, Jets ball. Sonny says "they need to bring the house on this one." Sam's response? "What do you mean by bring the house?"

2) There's 6 minutes left in the game. Jets ball and they're down by 3 (but about to score the go-ahead TD) when Sam offers up this nugget: They need to really work their two minute offense here if they want to win. (Both Sonny and Larry corrected him.)

3) The Jets just scored and are in the lead (20-16); Redskins ball. Sam: Well, they better do something quick. Down by 10 they need two scores to get back in the game.

Please, Red Zebra, do your listening public a favor and unplug Sam's mic. It's long past time.

Posted by: Laaauuughing ()
Date: December 05, 2011 10:19AM

theShadowToo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to prefer to listen to the radio broadcast
> vs. watch it on TV as I don't care for the
> over-the-top pomp and circumstance that
> accompanies *any* NFL game (it's a game, not the
> second coming folks!). After this season,
> however, I'm changing my tune. While Sonny and
> Larry do an okay job, Sam Huff needs to step down.
> Actually, the folks at Red Zebra need to remove
> him from the booth as he's no longer aware of
> what's going on. His lack of awareness is hard to
> listen to and embarrassing.
>
> Just during yesterday's game alone, I cringed more
> than a few times when it was obvious that he had
> no idea what was going on. The three that stand
> out are as follows:
>
> 1) It's 3rd and 18, Jets ball. Sonny says "they
> need to bring the house on this one." Sam's
> response? "What do you mean by bring the house?"
>
> 2) There's 6 minutes left in the game. Jets ball
> and they're down by 3 (but about to score the
> go-ahead TD) when Sam offers up this nugget: They
> need to really work their two minute offense here
> if they want to win. (Both Sonny and Larry
> corrected him.)
>
> 3) The Jets just scored and are in the lead
> (20-16); Redskins ball. Sam: Well, they better
> do something quick. Down by 10 they need two
> scores to get back in the game.
>
> Please, Red Zebra, do your listening public a
> favor and unplug Sam's mic. It's long past time.

Pretty simple:

1. Sonny still knows what's happening.
2. Sam can barely recall his own name.
3. But Sonny won't do the games without Sam.
4. And Larry's the house kiss-ass.

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: December 05, 2011 11:16AM

Laaauuughing Wrote:
>
> Pretty simple:
>
> 3. But Sonny won't do the games without Sam.

If that's true that explains it.

Date: December 05, 2011 11:43AM

Sonny & Sam are relics. Its kind of like watching the game with your senile grandfather and even more senile great-uncle. They are horrible announcers, and even worse color guys. But assuming you've been paying attention to the game, you know whats going on. I think its similar to watching a college basketball game with Vitale. He's also a horrible broadcaster. But artifacts like them bring a flavor to the game that's difficult to pin point and actually do add something to the game. Not every town and sport can have Vin Scully.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: December 05, 2011 12:03PM

My problem with sports talk 980 is you can't stream them on your iPhone. For god sakes please live in the now.

Who can still pick up am radio.

Posted by: Bodega Bo ()
Date: December 05, 2011 12:07PM

The radio broadcasts are like everything else in Redskins nation: A half-assed afterthought.

Fedex field sucks - it's falling apart and and the parking is a joke. Get to the 400 level in the second half some time, you'll feel like you are in the Superdome during hurricane Katrina, more drunk, snaggle-toothed skins "fans" staggering through mountains of trash and plastic beer bottles.

The amazing thing this that the lemmings still flock to Fedex and support Dan Snyder's substandard product while he laffs and laffs all the way to the bank.

Redskins Nation = Rube-ville.

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: December 05, 2011 12:54PM

I hope the next Redskin's stadium is in D.C.,,,

It's the WASHINGTON Redskins,,,the nations capitol,,,build the stadium that JKC wanted to 30 years ago,,,

As far as Sonny,,,Broadcaster for life,,deal with it
Attachments:
sonny.jpg

Posted by: Homer J. Fong ()
Date: December 05, 2011 02:07PM

Sonny is a great announcer. You're right about Sam, but please go back to Jersey, or Boston, or where ever the hell you're from if you're going to start messing with Sonny.

Posted by: Brave on the Warpath ()
Date: December 05, 2011 02:13PM

Hey OP, you're not from here so, you're not allowed to criticize anything about here.

Besides, we can't hear you anyway...we have 2 of our Super Bowl rings in our ears.

Date: December 05, 2011 02:19PM

People who did not grow up here are surprised Sonny is considered the most popular Redskin because he is a purely local legend,,,

Everyone loves Sonny if they grew up here, even people who root for other teams love Sonny,,,He is the face/voice of the Redskins even at 70 years old,and will be until he passes,,,

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: December 05, 2011 02:19PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
> It's the WASHINGTON Redskins,,,the nations
> capitol,,,build the stadium that JKC wanted to 30
> years ago,,,

You do know JKC built what is now FedEx field, right? You know, the one that used to be called Jack Kent Cooke Stadium?

He even had the area named "Raljon" after his kids.

Date: December 05, 2011 02:21PM

Of course I know that,,,It was only because Sharon Pratt Kelly wanted to play hardball,,If the mayor for life would have still been in office that stadium would be in D.C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 03:05PM by Hatemotor.
Attachments:
el_diablo_marion_berry.jpg

Posted by: average joe ()
Date: December 05, 2011 02:25PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
> Of course I know that,,,It was only because Sharon
> Pratt Kelly wanted to play harball,

You do know it is called hardball right

Posted by: Bodega Bob ()
Date: December 05, 2011 03:44PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
> Of course I know that,,,It was only because Sharon
> Pratt Kelly wanted to play hardball,,If the mayor
> for life would have still been in office that
> stadium would be in D.C.

When JKC saw DC wasn't going to bite the hook for a new stadium @ RFK (environmental permitting and the disappearance of part of Langston Golf course amongst other issues killed that deal...), he hooked up with then Gov. Doug Wilder and set his sights on Potomac Yards in Alexandria. The liberal city council went nuts about the whole idea and I believe Cooke was going to have to foot the bill for a Metro station in addition to the stadium and that plan died..

So...the Redskins wound up in God-forsaken PG County. Cooke probably got the worthless land for a song and erected his bargain basement stadium, which sits here rusting and crumbling away under Synder's watch today.

There's hope tho' Skins nation, Danny will let Fedex fall into embarassing disrepair, and tell his NFL cronies he can't make money in PG County any more and has to move the team to LA or London or Canada. DC sports media will go crazy over the notion and whip the fan base into a frenzy!

All of a sudden you'll see the District government find the land and money for a downtown stadium, and by downtown I don't mean the RFK site - and all will be good, except for your season ticket prices which will double. (BTW - don't discount the stupidity of FFX government if the Skins demand a new stadium, you may see something like Fair Oaks demolished for a "Redskins Stadium at Fair Oaks" and Gerry Connolly will be added to the Redskins 'Ring of Honor'or whatever the fuck it's called - as a result).

That's how the God-fearin' NFL gets what it wants, and it gets that because the lemmings will follow the football pied piper anywhere, armed with cash in one hand and an aluminum 16 oz. Bud Light bottle in the other.

It's a match made in hell between greedy owners and stupid fans, both of whom deserve one another.

Date: December 05, 2011 03:56PM

Put it at Springfield Mall,,,

Posted by: bingo ()
Date: December 05, 2011 05:39PM

I couldn"t agree more

Date: December 05, 2011 10:28PM

This is ironic, there was an interview with D.C.'s mayor and this came up,,,,

“We are certainly very, very interested in the team coming back [to Washington, D.C.],” Gray said. “We focused a lot on the training facility because we have this kind of oddity where we are the Washington Redskins that play their games in Maryland and practice in Virginia.”

In early November, Gray traveled to Tampa, Fla., to tour the Buccaneers’ training facility and get an idea what it would take to lure the Redskins back to Washington, D.C.

“Several of us went down and visited the Tampa Bay facility,” the mayor said. “I’m telling you, almost everywhere I go, people say, ‘Bring them back, bring them back.’ And I say, ‘Well, we are working on it.’”

Posted by: Mrs. Hatemotor ()
Date: December 05, 2011 11:54PM

average joe Wrote:
> Hatemotor Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Of course I know that,,,It was only because
> Sharon
> > Pratt Kelly wanted to play harball,
>
> You do know it is called hardball right

You do know only an asshat corrects the spelling of a registered user, yes?

Posted by: Riggo117 ()
Date: December 13, 2011 11:02AM

Sam just needs to go. When you have the announcer explaining basic rules to you like he would his child, then your time is probably up. I just heard him say "both really good quarterbacks" this last Sunday when referencing Grossman and Brady.

as for those that want to stream on iphone, download the free app called tunein radio... you can listen to any local and many non-local even foreign radio stations.

Posted by: poopstick ()
Date: December 14, 2011 06:41AM

You must be new to NoVA if you're neutral on Snyder.

Posted by: JazzyJuice ()
Date: December 14, 2011 08:39AM

Life long Redskins fan here... and agree 100% with the original poster.
Can appreciate the neutrality toward Snyder - especially if you came here in the recent years - Snyder has become tolerable.

Re: the broadcasters - they are tiring, monotonous and can make the most exciting games seem,well, boring.

- Sam: needs to go (was great in his day) but he is literally confused
- Larry: is a homer and adds no objectivity to the broadcasts, which is frustrating as fan when the Skins are playing (bad) - his ho-hum attitude is annoying
- Sonny: is tolerable, funny, witty and has a couple of good years left in him.

I've written Red Zebra and told them they need to regroup.

The Skins are a tired franchise, top to bottom and in dire need of new energy. They've gotten rid of tired old folks on the field. They need to do it off the field.

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: December 14, 2011 10:30AM

I agree, the Skins franchise, which has a great fanbase, is tired. They need to shake up their personnel dept big time - they don't draft well. Shannahan IS a good coach, but alas, he is in a tough situation. The radio show just seems to be a billboard for all thats wrong. While I know they are loved, in terms of sheer broadcast ability, the radio team is PAINFUL. Sam and Sonny were done playing a long time ago. They can't add to their legacys.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.