HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Finally WTOP is getting competition
Posted by: H8WTOP ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:23AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/cbs-radio-to-start-all-news-station-in-dc-area/2011/11/16/gIQAirnASN_story.html?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop

CBS Radio will start an all-news station in the Washington area next year, taking on news powerhouse WTOP for a share of the lucrative market for round-the-clock news, weather and traffic broadcasts.

WTOP, which has not had a direct competitor for decades, is by far the dominant station in news-hungry Washington, with the highest annual revenue of any station in the nation.

But New York-based CBS — which operates profitable all-news stations in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and other cities — sees Washington as ripe for another station offering news, particularly local news.

The new station, whose call letters have not been determined, will broadcast at 99.1 FM, currently the home of CBS-owned WLZL, a Spanish-language music station and the former dial position of beloved rock station WHFS.

CBS said WLZL, known as “El Zol,” will move to 107.9 FM, a frequency that CBS will buy from Family Stations of California. The news station will promote itself as “All-News 99.1” and will debut next year.

“I’ve [worked] in New York and Washington, and I can tell you, the appetite for news in both markets is really intense,” said Steve Swenson, an all-news radio veteran who is CBS’s top manager in Washington. Regarding WTOP, he said, “I don’t look at this as going up against Goliath, or we versus them. I look at this as an expansion of the news market.”

The new station will have a formidable competitor in WTOP, the Washington area’s most popular radio station. WTOP’s formula of brief news reports and “traffic and weather together” every 10 minutes draws a massive audience of traffic-trapped commuters. At most hours, its share of the radio audience is double that of its nearest competitor.

WTOP racked up $60 million in ad revenue last year, according to the station, its most ever despite the recession. That made it the largest station in this category in the country, according to the radio research firm BIA/Kelsey. The station’s financial success is especially noteworthy, considering that Washington was only the ninth-largest market by population in the nation.

It’s perhaps because WTOP is so successful that CBS sees opportunity for a direct competitor. Although the all-news format is the most expensive to produce in radio — a station has to bear the cost of dozens of journalists’ salaries rather than simply playing music — a station that grabs just a fraction of WTOP’s ad revenue could become profitable quickly, industry experts say.

What’s more, local news is one of the few radio formats that isn’t subject to competition from satellite radio, iPods or Internet streams, all of which have eroded the radio business over the past decade or so.

“We’ve got lots of competition — it’s not just radio, it’s newspapers, it’s TV, it’s digital,” said Jim Farley, WTOP’s vice president of news and programming, in reaction to the CBS announcement. “It will be fun to compete with people we like and respect. Competition can only make us better. It will make us work better, faster and smarter.”

The CBS station will seek to differentiate itself from WTOP by concentrating its coverage on Washington’s suburbs, although it will also report stories from the District, Swenson said. It will broadcast traffic reports every 10 minutes and weather updates every four minutes or so.

The station will have eight anchors, five producer-editors and eight to 10 reporters at its launch, Swenson said. It has a program director, radio news veteran Robert Sanchez, and a news director, former WTOP news manager Michelle Komes-Dolge.

WTOP employs about 70 full-time reporters and editors and 20 or so part-timers.

CBS starts at some disadvantage to WTOP in terms of its signal strength. WTOP broadcasts primarily at 103.5 FM, a frequency that blankets much of the metropolitan area. It supplements its reach by simulcasting on two other frequencies, 107.7 FM in Manassas and 103.9 FM in Frederick.

CBS owns five Washington area stations: “urban” music station WPGC-FM, sports-talk WJFK-FM, soft-rock WIAD-FM, WLZL and WHFS-AM, which has a news and talk format.

Swenson was general manager of WTOP until 1997, when he left to manage CBS Radio’s twin all-news stations in New York, 1010 WINS and WCBS. Among those Swenson hired while he worked at WTOP: Jim Farley, who built the station’s newsroom.

One thing listeners won’t hear on CBS’s new news station: CBS News broadcasts. WTOP has an exclusive contract with the network to carry its news reports.

THANK GOD I can't deal with those clowns on WTOP anymore!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally WTOP is getting competition
Date: November 17, 2011 10:33AM

Odd because WTOP carries CBS news as its national feed. Wonder if they will switch to ABC news.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Curious Listener ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:48AM

Any live broadcasts from TLC?

Posted by: wtop ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:57AM

GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER GLASS ENCLOSED NERVE CENTER

Posted by: That answered it, thanks ()
Date: November 17, 2011 11:21AM

Okay thanks, please go back to the Lamb Center Thread now. What the hell? And speaking of which, the Greaseman's "Methane Enclosed Nerve Center" shit was funny as hell.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: November 17, 2011 12:41PM

Hopefully CBS will hire Lisa Baden for traffic so she can take down WTOP! Marbourg, move to CBS while you can!! Your career is currently abeam CBS's takeover path!!

Date: November 17, 2011 01:14PM

Between WTOP, WMAL, WAMU, WFED, WPFW and WCSP, the DC talk market is saturated. The CBS station will suffer the same fate as Washington Post Radio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:16PM

traffic and weather together on the 7's?

Posted by: WHFS Fan ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:17PM

I have no interest in listening to a news format on 99.1 as I do not listen to news format radio. However...

...as a former WHFS fan who was devastated when they changed to WLZL "El Zol", this is a day of vindication against Latinos and their culture everywhere. I will never forget all of the publicity surrounding the change to WLZL and program managers saying things like, "Well, due to the changing dynamics of the Baltimore and DC listening markets, we feel a change to a Latin format will greatly serve a previously highly underserved segment of the market...blah, blah, blah..."

Well, gee...I guess the "dynamics" have changed again (read: Thousands of Latin illegals have been deported thus rendering Latino specific radio unnecessary...).

Long live, WHFS! Fuck you, "El Zol" it looks like your shit shit just got eclipsed, putah!

And thankfully, I won't have to sit in traffic on my commute next to some beaner and his tinny, no bass, treble only radio blasting the same beat. You know the one...DONG-dee-donk-dee-DONG-dee-donk-dee-DONG...ugh...

Posted by: Mike O'Meara ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:35PM

WooHooo!!!! A new station means a new opportunity for me to get back on the air!!!!

Posted by: Bidding War ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:42PM

I'm guessing there will be a bidding war for the services of Adam Tuss. His hard hitting "Sprawl and Crawl" segments always break open huge stories. Like the other day he said how there is construction on the Beltway causing delays. Woah! How much digging do you think he did to get that nugget? What a journalist!

Posted by: three words which haunt me ()
Date: November 17, 2011 01:48PM

"I'm Neil Augenstein"

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 17, 2011 03:07PM

More coverage of Father Hurley Blvd. Brilliant!!!

Posted by: Fucked up Gearshift ()
Date: November 17, 2011 03:25PM

Great, more Doug Hill talking about his fear of heights, and more light hearted banter of stupid puns, just what we need.

Posted by: The Shadow Knows ()
Date: November 17, 2011 03:27PM

It's always annoyed me how little news WTOP can fit in an hour.

I hope CBS brings the same format and cadence of NY 880. It's faster, more info, less talk, and none of the really annoying chit-chat or keep-listening-if-you-want-to-hear-news-we're-not-gonna-tell-you-yet BS. 880 justs tells us the news and traffic and moves on. I love listening to 880 when I drive up the NJ turnpike. Last of the great AM stations.

Posted by: 102.4 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 04:05PM

Watch guys coming in January 2012. From the bum infested Lamb Center WFAG 102.4 FM

Posted by: Mike Moss ()
Date: November 17, 2011 08:39PM

I'm not worried, people love my fakey, obnoxious laugh too much to turn the dial.

Posted by: He Is Delusional ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:37PM

Who needs WTOP when we have all the great news and talk that we need on WMAL? 105.9 ... WMAL is where I keep my dial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm the real H.I.D. If you question my identity, just hit the quote button on one of my posts and look for any of the "L" characters that have been replaced by the uppercase "I" character. That will tell you who the fake is.

Posted by: Johnny G. ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:39PM

Lisa Baden...hubba, hubba!

Posted by: big cat ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:42PM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More coverage of Father Hurley Blvd. Brilliant!!!

I never know what the trafic is like in DC or Virginia but I sure as hell know what is going on in Urbanna.

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: November 17, 2011 11:10PM

I feel myself getting stupider, every second that I'm stuck in a car listening to that shat. Useless 30 second sound bites, masquerading as news, and intended for dim witted morons with ADD. The worst radio station, ever.

Posted by: 50-50 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 11:14PM

The funniest part is Doug Hill telling you how it will be sunny all day while the rain is pouring down on you.

Posted by: Breen ()
Date: November 17, 2011 11:32PM

That was funny, I admit.

Posted by: hello ()
Date: November 17, 2011 11:43PM

WHFS Fan Wrote:
> I have no interest in listening to a news format
> on 99.1 as I do not listen to news format radio.
> However...
>
> ...as a former WHFS fan who was devastated when
> they changed to WLZL "El Zol", this is a day of
> vindication against Latinos and their culture
> everywhere. I will never forget all of the
> publicity surrounding the change to WLZL and
> program managers saying things like, "Well, due to
> the changing dynamics of the Baltimore and DC
> listening markets, we feel a change to a Latin
> format will greatly serve a previously highly
> underserved segment of the market...blah, blah,
> blah..."
>
> Well, gee...I guess the "dynamics" have changed
> again (read: Thousands of Latin illegals have been
> deported thus rendering Latino specific radio
> unnecessary...).
>
> Long live, WHFS! Fuck you, "El Zol" it looks like
> your shit shit just got eclipsed, putah!
>
> And thankfully, I won't have to sit in traffic on
> my commute next to some beaner and his tinny, no
> bass, treble only radio blasting the same beat.
> You know the
> one...DONG-dee-donk-dee-DONG-dee-donk-dee-DONG...u
> gh...

Sorry to bust your bubble but if the beaner turns the dial turn 107.9 sorry u still stuck listening to the no bass, treble only radio blasting the same beat.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: November 17, 2011 11:44PM

What's that dude's name? Harley Carns?

/With sprawl and crawl, please kill me

Posted by: charley monkeyboy ()
Date: November 18, 2011 05:06AM

think CBS Radio might hire buzz burbank back as a newsmun?

Posted by: gunner ()
Date: November 27, 2011 09:15AM

Hire Buzz Burbank? God let's hope not. Especially when there are so many good people available. Ira Mellman and Sean Hall come to mind... as well as Bill Thomspon.

Posted by: Traffic guy ()
Date: November 29, 2011 02:00AM

If CBS hires Lisa Baden it will climb to the top of the ratings!

Posted by: Dustin ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:41PM

WTOP is one annoying station! Hope this new station makes it but I am afraid that this area is into this folksy, provincial, dumbed down style.

WTOP talks down to the listener- like one was 9 years old. A typical WTOP line: "Now HERES a story you will want to hear; Eating too many donuts can make you fat!" Then you get all the sidekicks lame remarks about how depressed they are about that.

Try listening at 5pm when you would expect to get the big new stories of the day. Instead you get Harley Carnes rambling on about obscure random events. WTOP seems to be more focused with giving you random negative factoids (to help you get through your day).

Often before the weather report, that annoying Hillary will pipe in with her take on what the forecast will be like, ( which usually turns out to be wrong.) We all ready know she LOVES hot humid weather as we are commanded by her to 'get out and enjoy it". Well at least summer is over.

Not sure why people love Marbourg unless you like the hear the words "volume", and "separate stretches". He may be a good person, but the traffic coverage is awful. Why not break the area up into regions: Have a short but concise coverage for DC, Maryland and NOVA traffic. Does WTOP even know that Fairfax County Parkway exists?

Plus the coverage is so provincial. How the hell am I supposed to know where the 'truck scales"are or where some random town is, when they dont even give the county or state.

This kind of folksy back woods format may have played well in the 70's but to hear it today makes one realise much of an anachronism this station has become.

Posted by: Dstin ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:44PM

This kind of folksy back woods format may have played well in the 70's but to hear it today makes one realise HOW much of an anachronism this station has become.

Posted by: Mike Moss ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:10PM

Ha-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUH-Ha-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUHHa-HUH-HA-HAH-HA-HUH

Posted by: Get real ()
Date: December 02, 2011 02:01AM

Traffic guy Wrote:
> If CBS hires Lisa Baden it will climb to the top
> of the ratings!

Already thinking of getting fired again, Lisa?

Posted by: Bill Kennedy ()
Date: January 28, 2012 11:28AM

CBS? Yes, for the same reason Shadow Knows said: Their professional cadence

I can't get over the fact that the badenettes are still out there pining for Lisa Baden. She was the worst thing about WTOP. Moss and Allen come in second with the constant editorializing, personal opinions and bad jokes and then the terminally cute Hillary Howard. IFHH (In for Hillary Howard) was my favorite expression for about 4 weeks last year. I thought WTOP was making some really big strides in trying to get rid of their resident "personalities" and bring in professionals.

A New York Style news station is sorely needed in the greater DC/North VA area.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.