HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Seeking Action to Fix Dangerous Rt. 50 Intersection
Posted by: Jamie Todd Rubin ()
Date: October 30, 2011 06:38AM

When will something be done about the dangerous intersection on Route 50 just before Target that provides access to the access road that parallels 50? Over Labor Day weekend, an elderly couple was killed at this intersection. There have been two more accidents since. In the two years I have lived in close proximity to this intersection, I have seen at least half a dozen accidents. There will certainly be more. The intersection is poorly designed. There is no left-turn lane from 50. There are no left-turn arrows in either direction. Cars coming out of Target rush to make the short light, almost always running the stop signs posted just before the intersection. Even walking across the intersection is dangerous.

I wrote a letter to Supervisor Gross, and copied the commander and lieutenant of the local police station detailing the problem, and asking what is being done to solve it. That was more than six weeks ago. I have received no response, and in the meantime, two more accidents (that I am aware of) have occurred at that intersection.

There are several options, including widening 50 to allow for dedicated left-hand turn lanes; adding left-turn lights for the cross-traffic; improving the signage; even closing down that intersection entirely. (Traffic can use the ramp just west of the intersection to get up to Target and Safeway.) Certainly there is a cost associated with each of these solutions, but doing nothing will only lead to more accidents and additional fatalities.

My understanding is that when Target moved in, they in cooperation with local homeowner associations tried to get changes to the intersection implemented but ultimately did not succeed. The intervening years have clearly demonstrated the intersection is dangerous. How many more accidents must occur--how many more lives lost--before something is done?

Jamie Todd Rubin

Falls Church

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking Action to Fix Dangerous Rt. 50 Intersection
Posted by: Concerned Parents ()
Date: October 30, 2011 09:57AM

I completely agree that intersection is dangerous.

Posted by: Morgan ()
Date: October 30, 2011 10:55AM

Notify VDOT too.

Posted by: curious ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:36AM

Here here! Change that intersection! Those access roads and stop signs always drive people crazy . . . often makes it more dangerous. . .

Posted by: Three Cents ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:51AM

I know I've been through there before, but I can't seem to picture it.

Posted by: Penny Joke ()
Date: November 02, 2011 02:44AM

The biggest problem is Penny Gross. Her idea of improvements to the area has been Chipotle and Red Robin!

Posted by: state ()
Date: November 02, 2011 10:06AM

Why aren't you writing your state representatives? These are state-owned roads-- neither the county nor the police own them.

Posted by: regularguy ()
Date: November 02, 2011 02:19PM

Is this the Target off route 50 in Chantilly? With the access road for Udvar-Hazy on the other side of 50 from the Target shopping area? I know it has a left-hand turn signal for getting to the shopping center where Target is, I have sat at it plenty of times and see no huge issues with the intersection.

Route 50 is a long road, maybe you didn't hear anything because you didn't specify where it was. Just because you put down your area of residency in the county doesn't mean you don't work in Chantilly and are complaining about something there.

Posted by: writer ()
Date: November 02, 2011 04:00PM

The writer signed their location as "falls church" so one may be led to believe they are referencing the Target on 50 in Falls Church. That Target is also in Penny Gross's district, whom they also reference.

Posted by: hand it over ()
Date: November 02, 2011 05:00PM

Penny Joke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The biggest problem is Penny Gross. Her idea of
> improvements to the area has been Chipotle and Red
> Robin!

Hey give her a break, its the Mason district. Maybe she is too busy making sure a certain segment of the community gets lots of gratis queso.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: November 02, 2011 06:45PM

I thought it was Chantilly too on first read because of the museum access road.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.