HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Turn on your headlights when you have your wipers on! It's the law in Virginia
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:17PM

I can't believe all the stupid people out there in this rain/sleet mist that are driving around without any lights on.

§ 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise, (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

So when you have your wipers on, turn your damn lights on! No one can see you! And if someone rear ends you, you will also be cited because you failed to have you lights on.

For those of you who think that having your daytime running lights on is the same thing, it's not. Your taillights don't light up when you only have the day running lights on.

And yeah, you don't have to turn your lights on when your wipers are intermittent, but don't be stupid. The whole point is so people can see you and not run into you. Turn them on!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 11:10PM by trogdor!.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turn on your headlights when you have your wipers on! It's the law in Virginia
Posted by: I Notice This Way Too Much ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:25PM

Yeah, big pet peeve of mine. If there's anyone here who does in fact like keeping their lights off, please speak up. I'd love to hear the other side of the arguement

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:31PM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 03:51PM by chuckhoffmann.

Re: Turn on your headlights when you have your wipers on! It's the law in Virginia
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:33PM

Posted by: I Notice That Way Too Much ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:49PM

I Notice This Way Too Much Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, big pet peeve of mine.

DITTO.

Posted by: CONCUR ()
Date: October 29, 2011 03:54PM

Concur!
spacer62.gif

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:27PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> I can't believe all the stupid people out there in
> this rain/sleet mist that are driving around
> without any lights on.

Yep. Unfortunately, things like this require a person to have a certain level of awareness when they're driving -- an awareness of what others see, rather than just what they themselves see. A lot of brains out there just don't have enough capacity.

Also
Posted by: Franz Lebowski ()
Date: October 29, 2011 04:38PM

If you have difficulty seeing the road in bad weather, be sure to follow the car in front of you extremely closely.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 29, 2011 11:10PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:

>
> I would think that if my wipers were on, I would
> not need to turn my wipers on.

Fixed!

Posted by: He Is Delusional ()
Date: October 29, 2011 11:21PM

And, daytime running / driving lights are only 1/2 of the solution. With this configuration, your tail lights are not on ... so, when you're driving along in your light grey sedan (which looks the same color as the dreary, misty, rain splashed air), you run the risk of getting rear-ended.

Man, people are stupid. But, they sure know how to operate their cell phones and text devices.

Posted by: ronnie ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:15AM

He Is Delusional Wrote:
> And, daytime running / driving lights are only 1/2
> of the solution. With this configuration, your
> tail lights are not on ... so, when you're driving
> along in your light grey sedan (which looks the
> same color as the dreary, misty, rain splashed
> air), you run the risk of getting rear-ended.

I don't like to waste energy. AND, my car is not light grey; it's dark blue.

> Man, people are stupid. But, they sure know how
> to operate their cell phones and text devices.

What's your point?

Date: October 30, 2011 12:37AM

ronnie Wrote:
>
> I don't like to waste energy. AND, my car is not
> light grey; it's dark blue.
>

OK, your choice. And, how is keeping your lights on when using the wipers (which is mandatory in Virginia) going to save you energy? Do you have a death wish? I don't care what color your car is. You also probably drive the speed limit and stay in the left lane, too - don't you? Yeah, I figured so.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:20AM

> Yeah, big pet peeve of mine. If there's anyone
> here who does in fact like keeping their lights
> off, please speak up. I'd love to hear the other
> side of the arguement

I don't turn my headlights on unless absolutely necessary for me to see so that I can save gas. I also do not turn them on if there are streetlights since the streetlights will illuminate the road adequately, allowing me to save gas

Posted by: EdisonIsAlive ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:44AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> I Notice This Way Too Much Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, big pet peeve of mine. If there's anyone
> > here who does in fact like keeping their lights
> > off, please speak up. I'd love to hear the
> other
> > side of the arguement
>
>
> I don't turn my headlights on unless absolutely
> necessary for me to see so that I can save gas. I
> also do not turn them on if there are streetlights
> since the streetlights will illuminate the road
> adequately, allowing me to save gas

Having your headlights on is not using more gas. Gas cars are extremely inefficient in design and waste a lot of energy. Your alternator is turning and pumping out electricity whether you're using it or not. The only thing that happens when the lights are off is the electricity created by the alternator is not being used.

Now if your car is electric and running off a battery you might have a case.

Remember gas cars were basically designed in the 1920 and not of the basic concept has change.

Posted by: lolyer ()
Date: October 30, 2011 02:03AM

Oh my...
Keeping your lights off saves gas?

Fucking idiots..

Edison is correct.. Your alternator is a generator,whix is coupled to a voltage regulator.. Your car is going to pump out 12 To 14 volts constantly .. No matter what accessory you use during the vehicle's operation..

I bet you are one of the idiots who buys a modern car and makes your passengers endure no ac during the summer while driving down the highway.. To save gas.. k

Date: October 30, 2011 02:04AM

I love it. Avoiding the use of headlights when the wipers are on to save energy. LoL. Then, the same people avoid getting their cars tuned up when needed and don't check their tire pressure on a frequent basis.

So much for that energy savings. Al Gore would be proud of you.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 30, 2011 06:46AM

lolyer Wrote:
> I bet you are one of the idiots who buys a modern
> car and makes your passengers endure no ac during
> the summer while driving down the highway.. To
> save gas.. k

KeepOnTruckin isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He has also complained that gas taxes unfairly punish truck/SUV drivers -- oblivious to the fact that this is precisely the point of such a tax.

Cut him some slack though -- when you drive a big "manly" vehicle like he does, every drop of gas counts. :-)

Posted by: fairfax worker ()
Date: October 30, 2011 08:29AM

Not sure the headlights make much difference. I live near a fire station and I have seen drivers pull out in front of them even though the firetrucks have their lights and siren going plus the ear shattering air horn as well.

Date: October 30, 2011 01:33PM

fairfax worker Wrote:
> Not sure the headlights make much difference. I
> live near a fire station and I have seen drivers
> pull out in front of them even though the
> firetrucks have their lights and siren going plus
> the ear shattering air horn as well.

What you have described has nothing to do with the headlights at all. However, it has everything to do with the typical "I'm more important than anyone else" Northern Virginia drivers who can't be inconvenienced by a fire truck having to push through traffic to save someone's home. Sadly, events such as that happen daily in our area. Though, I'll be those people would show some courtesy if it were their own home that was on fire ... or, one of their elderly parents who had just fallen down the steps.

Posted by: fuck that ()
Date: October 30, 2011 07:42PM

nah fuck that. if it's drizzling i dont want my headlights on, for that matter keep them off, i dont want u driving ur soccer mom shit torwards me with ur highbeams on for some rain

Posted by: KEEP HEADLIGHTS ON ()
Date: October 30, 2011 08:15PM

Hello??? What part of keeping headlights while driving at night does anyone not comprehend? Check the DMV website if in doubt of the VA State Driving Laws and driving safely. Hello???

Just saying.

Posted by: blue velvet ()
Date: October 30, 2011 08:31PM

Yeah...Fuck that shit...pabst blue ribbon!!!

Posted by: herp durp ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:12PM

> Yeah, big pet peeve of mine. If there's anyone
> here who does in fact like keeping their lights
> off, please speak up. I'd love to hear the other
> side of the arguement

It burns the lightbulbs out sooner and when I go in for a safety inspection they charge me $50 to change the bulbs

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:21PM

lolyer Wrote:
> Oh my...
> Keeping your lights off saves gas?

Yes.

It's a very small amount, however.

> Fucking idiots..
>
> Edison is correct.. Your alternator is a
> generator,whix is coupled to a voltage regulator..
> Your car is going to pump out 12 To 14 volts
> constantly .. No matter what accessory you use
> during the vehicle's operation..

You've got half the story. The other half is amperage. The more amperage you pull from the alternator, the harder it is for the engine to turn it.,,and therefore the more gas burned.

Do you, by chance, actually know what the voltage regulator does? Or, more specifically, what it does to keep the voltage between 12-14 volts?

> I bet you are one of the idiots who buys a modern
> car and makes your passengers endure no ac during
> the summer while driving down the highway.. To
> save gas.. k

The AC uses gas too. Do you for some reason think that it doesn't?

Posted by: Edison knew more about electricity than you. ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:26PM

EdisonIsAlive Wrote:

Your alternator is turning
> and pumping out electricity whether you're using
> it or not. The only thing that happens when the
> lights are off is the electricity created by the
> alternator is not being used.

Not quite. The alternator produces exactly as much electricity as is required to keep the output voltage at the regulator setpoint.

If what you said were true, then the output voltage would go up as the engine speed increased. Clearly this does not happen.

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: October 30, 2011 11:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.