HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
speed traps
Posted by: hadenuf ()
Date: October 07, 2011 11:46AM

Did you ever wonder about speed traps and how it has come to this? And no, I have not gotten a ticket yet! We tell our kids that police officers are our friends and will always be there to help in time of need. Then, we ride down the street and some cop is hiding behind the bushes or just over a hill, waiting for some unsuspecting violator. Our kids want to know why their friend is hiding in the bushes! Then, we stop and get gas and the pump display a picture of what appears to be a man who would easily turn on the litter. Yep kids, this is a picture of your friend. Speed traps bring to mind the shows we see on animal planet. The one where the predator lies in ambush just waiting for the prey to walk by. Or, better yet, the show where the antelope are crossing the river to graze and the crocodiles lie in wait, submerged in the water. Yep, gotta love those speed traps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: speed traps
Posted by: Captain 20 ()
Date: October 07, 2011 12:32PM

I've lived in NOVA for 35+ years...I can cite the speed limit on 90% of the roads without having to be on them. In 24 years of driving, I've had 5 speeding tickets. They were all when I was a teenager and was just out fucking around. Oh sure, I knew the limits even then, I just didn't give a fuck.

In short, in the area where you live, there is NO such thing as a speed trap. Drive the limit and it doesn't matter where they set up or what kind of cameras are in place. And yes, driving the limit will likely get you run down from behind in this area so, stay to the right. If it's a two-lane road and someone's on your ass, signal and pull to the right. One day, you will see the bastard a mile down the road pulled over for speeding/wreckless and laugh.

NOVA is really fucked up these days. Illegals, MS-13, overdevelopment of real estate, underdevelopment of roads and so on...Could you imagine how much more fucked up this place would be WITHOUT law enforcement? The only people who say that policemen are the enemy...ARE CRIMINALS! The police are our friends and don't ever stop learning your kids that.

Posted by: Speeding ()
Date: October 07, 2011 01:00PM

I'd like to see the majority of FFX police effort on:

In order;
1) Gang activity
2) Robbery and assaults, rapes
3) Terrorist prevention
4) Traffic control

Look at the big picture retard
Posted by: Don'tBeAFool ()
Date: October 07, 2011 03:00PM

Speeding Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to see the majority of FFX police effort
> on:
>
> In order;
> 1) Gang activity
> 2) Robbery and assaults, rapes
> 3) Terrorist prevention
> 4) Traffic control

FYI, #4 helps tremendously with #1, 2, and 3. When you're looking for "suspects/criminals" who are unemployed and not at their residence, they are most likely in a vehicle going between point A and B.

There are plenty of detectives working the cases of #2 and a unit specifically assigned to #1, terrorist prevention (for the most part) is DHS, with some things rolling down to FCPD. However, the bulk of things are through #4.

Do a search and see how many people are arrested for driving on a suspended license, then cross reference those names and see how many of them have outstanding warrants...

You'd be surprised.

Re: Look at the big picture retard
Posted by: BigBrother ()
Date: October 07, 2011 03:03PM

Don'tBeAFool Wrote:
> Speeding Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd like to see the majority of FFX police
> effort
> > on:
> >
> > In order;
> > 1) Gang activity
> > 2) Robbery and assaults, rapes
> > 3) Terrorist prevention
> > 4) Traffic control
>
>
> FYI, #4 helps tremendously with #1, 2, and 3.
> When you're looking for "suspects/criminals" who
> are unemployed and not at their residence, they
> are most likely in a vehicle going between point A
> and B.
>
> There are plenty of detectives working the cases
> of #2 and a unit specifically assigned to #1,
> terrorist prevention (for the most part) is DHS,
> with some things rolling down to FCPD. However,
> the bulk of things are through #4.
>
> Do a search and see how many people are arrested
> for driving on a suspended license, then cross
> reference those names and see how many of them
> have outstanding warrants...
>
> You'd be surprised.

Pulling over 100 citizens with traffic stops in the hopes of catching a person with an outstanding warrant is being a fool.

Posted by: AnotherMoronOnFFU ()
Date: October 07, 2011 04:43PM

BigBrother Wrote:
> Don'tBeAFool Wrote:
> -----
> > Speeding Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'd like to see the majority of FFX police
> > effort
> > > on:
> > >
> > > In order;
> > > 1) Gang activity
> > > 2) Robbery and assaults, rapes
> > > 3) Terrorist prevention
> > > 4) Traffic control
> >
> >
> > FYI, #4 helps tremendously with #1, 2, and 3.
> > When you're looking for "suspects/criminals"
> who
> > are unemployed and not at their residence, they
> > are most likely in a vehicle going between point
> A
> > and B.
> >
> > There are plenty of detectives working the
> cases
> > of #2 and a unit specifically assigned to #1,
> > terrorist prevention (for the most part) is
> DHS,
> > with some things rolling down to FCPD.
> However,
> > the bulk of things are through #4.
> >
> > Do a search and see how many people are
> arrested
> > for driving on a suspended license, then cross
> > reference those names and see how many of them
> > have outstanding warrants...
> >
> > You'd be surprised.
>
> Pulling over 100 citizens with traffic stops in
> the hopes of catching a person with an outstanding
> warrant is being a fool.

Pulling over 100 citizens with traffic stops is enforcing the law and punishing those who choose otherwise, and generating revenue. While doing so, it ALSO leads into other things as I already stated.

It's called proactive policing.

Since you seem to have the answer, what would you prefer them to do instead?

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: October 07, 2011 05:13PM

Are speed traps really that bothersome to you OP? C'mon. If that bothers you, just take a gun out and pop off a few rounds at some police running said trap. They will then show you what the speed trap is really all about. It would be what Obama calls a teaching moment.

Date: October 08, 2011 06:17PM

First of all, your response was immature and totally absurd. Secondly, yes speed traps do bother me. I do not like the indelible mark they leave on children. It portrays a them vs us mentality. Thirdly, they are ineffective as a means of traffic management. If they were effective, we would not see a continuous upswing in their use. They are however, very effective for revenue enhancement. Additionally, as the writer stated above, speed traps are used to catch gang members and criminals. Makes your heart go zing to know that 99 individuals have their day ruined so that a chance exists to catch one bad guy. And don't give me this going the speed limit crapola. Speed traps are typically placed where speed limit is purposely lower than should be. And lastly, please do not bring Obama into the equation. The only thing he has taught is to cause the financial ruin of the most prosperous country on earth.

Posted by: being a fool ()
Date: October 08, 2011 06:31PM

BigBrother Wrote:
> Don'tBeAFool Wrote:
> -----

> Pulling over 100 citizens with traffic stops in
> the hopes of catching a person with an outstanding
> warrant is being a fool.

if they pull over 100 people its because they had reason too. seems you are the one being a fool

Posted by: give me a break ()
Date: October 08, 2011 06:33PM

hadenuf Wrote:
> First of all, your response was immature and
> totally absurd. Secondly, yes speed traps do
> bother me. I do not like the indelible mark they
> leave on children. It portrays a them vs us
> mentality. Thirdly, they are ineffective as a
> means of traffic management. If they were
> effective, we would not see a continuous upswing
> in their use. They are however, very effective for
> revenue enhancement. Additionally, as the writer
> stated above, speed traps are used to catch gang
> members and criminals. Makes your heart go zing to
> know that 99 individuals have their day ruined so
> that a chance exists to catch one bad guy. And
> don't give me this going the speed limit crapola.
> Speed traps are typically placed where speed limit
> is purposely lower than should be. And lastly,
> please do not bring Obama into the equation. The
> only thing he has taught is to cause the financial
> ruin of the most prosperous country on earth.

no 99 individuals have their day ruined cus they were speeding or doing something else dumb, not cus thats how they try and catch gang members. and get off your kick about the message to children. this is a perfect example of how insanely babied kids are today and then why they cant handle the real world. the only kids with the us vs them mentality are the criminals. normal people arent bothered by police.

Posted by: So what? ()
Date: October 08, 2011 06:45PM

Speed "traps" don't bother me one bit. It's not that hard to drive without getting a ticket. In 25 years I have one.

Posted by: agreed ()
Date: October 08, 2011 06:48PM

So what? Wrote:
> Speed "traps" don't bother me one bit. It's not
> that hard to drive without getting a ticket. In 25
> years I have one.

The funny part is that the speed trap is easier to not get a ticket then driving and have a cop driving behind you for an extended period of time.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: October 08, 2011 09:47PM

Speed traps in this area are rare. For the most part the speed limits on roads are well posted and easily predictable, and except for a few low speed down hill runs can be maintained without difficulty.

The bigger problem is erratic enforcement. You can drive the same road for a year at 10mph above the posted speed limit and constantly have people riding up your a-- and whipping around you. Then one day you get nailed for speeding driving that exact same 10 mph over speed, and of course what you are thinking is "Where the f--- were you cops the past year when you could have nailed the other guys", or "Why the f--- didn't you nail the other guys driving the same speed as me". There are also issues with enforcement targeting certain types of drivers, especially younger drivers. Going to traffic court can be interesting because a very large number of the people who show up to challenge their tickets will argue that they didn't do anything that anyone else on the road was doing. None of this means that the charges are less valid, but it does raise questions on the fairness of the enforcement.

Posted by: speedtraphunter1 ()
Date: October 08, 2011 10:34PM

With a few countermeasures ffx cops are not a worry they are some of the worst radar/lidar operators i have seen. VSP is definitely the best in the state loudon sherrifs are also pretty good. I bet most ffx county cops dont even know what band, frequency, or pulse rate they operate on.

Posted by: life ()
Date: October 08, 2011 11:41PM

Bill N Wrote:
> Speed traps in this area are rare. For the most
> part the speed limits on roads are well posted and
> easily predictable, and except for a few low speed
> down hill runs can be maintained without
> difficulty.
>
> The bigger problem is erratic enforcement. You
> can drive the same road for a year at 10mph above
> the posted speed limit and constantly have people
> riding up your a-- and whipping around you. Then
> one day you get nailed for speeding driving that
> exact same 10 mph over speed, and of course what
> you are thinking is "Where the f--- were you cops
> the past year when you could have nailed the other
> guys", or "Why the f--- didn't you nail the other
> guys driving the same speed as me". There are
> also issues with enforcement targeting certain
> types of drivers, especially younger drivers.
> Going to traffic court can be interesting because
> a very large number of the people who show up to
> challenge their tickets will argue that they
> didn't do anything that anyone else on the road
> was doing. None of this means that the charges
> are less valid, but it does raise questions on the
> fairness of the enforcement.

Its quite simple. They arent everywhere at once. They can only act on what they see. The other drivers got lucky they werent around. Who ever got caught was not so fortunate. Its life. Anyone who uses the everyone else was doing it argument should get double the fine and points

Posted by: counterfeitpenny ()
Date: October 09, 2011 12:01AM

I think speed traps are racist...we all know some races run a lot faster than others...

Posted by: hector ()
Date: October 09, 2011 09:01AM

"Thirdly, they are ineffective as a means of traffic management"
rarely see them during the day. At night when the traffic is very light
cops let folks driving during the day getaway with lots of asshole moves that would get you lit up in a second at night

"if they pull over 100 people its because they had reason too. seems you are the one being a fool"
bull shit, I've had total bull shit reasons given too me for pulling me over, i'm driving too straight, I made to wide a turn at a stop light intersection, i was too close to the curb as i went into turn lane, i had one cop who must have been at least 300 yards in back of me on a dark night suddenly fly right up on my bumper and say i was weaving all over the road, total bull shit all just fishing for dwi or i don't look right for the areas i was driving in

"The funny part is that the speed trap is easier to not get a ticket then driving and have a cop driving behind you for an extended period of time."

I now pull over as soon as I sense a cop is tailing me

Date: October 09, 2011 09:10AM

hadenuf Wrote:
> And don't give me this going the speed limit crapola.
> Speed traps are typically placed where speed limit
> is purposely lower than should be.

You're bitter. We get that. And your logic is still flawed. Saying that a speed limit is lower than it should be is simply your opinion. The point is... the limit is posted. If it's not, then law enforcement would have no legal ground to stand on in writing tickets. If the limit drops and the officer is setup just beyond where the limit drops well, I guess you'd better be at the limit before you pass the sign.

Also, I'm not sure if you were referring to highway tickets or secondary road tickets. I routinely drive 10 over on the highways. (Yes, I speed.) And I've never been ticketed or even pulled over on a highway. However, on secondary roads I drive the limit. Speeding on secondary roads is a far greater problem than highway speeding and I believe the enforcement patterns reflect that.

Posted by: lil b ()
Date: October 09, 2011 11:09AM

"If the limit drops and the officer is setup just beyond where the limit drops well, I guess you'd better be at the limit before you pass the sign. "

Most of the speed traps here are setup that way. They love underposted 25 zones. Usually your coming at 45mph into the 25 zone when they are just waiting for you.

Posted by: Hank Moody ()
Date: October 09, 2011 11:35AM

Bill N Wrote:
> Speed traps in this area are rare. For the most
> part the speed limits on roads are well posted and
> easily predictable, and except for a few low speed
> down hill runs can be maintained without
> difficulty.
>
> The bigger problem is erratic enforcement. You
> can drive the same road for a year at 10mph above
> the posted speed limit and constantly have people
> riding up your a-- and whipping around you. Then
> one day you get nailed for speeding driving that
> exact same 10 mph over speed, and of course what
> you are thinking is "Where the f--- were you cops
> the past year when you could have nailed the other
> guys", or "Why the f--- didn't you nail the other
> guys driving the same speed as me". There are
> also issues with enforcement targeting certain
> types of drivers, especially younger drivers.
> Going to traffic court can be interesting because
> a very large number of the people who show up to
> challenge their tickets will argue that they
> didn't do anything that anyone else on the road
> was doing. None of this means that the charges
> are less valid, but it does raise questions on the
> fairness of the enforcement.

I must disagree with your assertion that speed traps are rare. Off the top of my head I can think of at least a half dozen frequently used trapping spots. These speed traps have nothing to do with improving traffic safety and everything to do with revenue collection.

However, I do agree with your point about erratic enforcement. Enforcement of basic traffic laws such as stopping for red lights and stop signs, proper use of turn signals, distracted driving, etc seems to be virtually non-existent.

Date: October 09, 2011 01:04PM

lil b Wrote:
> Most of the speed traps here are setup that way.
> They love underposted 25 zones. Usually your
> coming at 45mph into the 25 zone when they are
> just waiting for you.

I'm not sure what your definition of underposted is...If you're driving at 45 and you enter a stretch of road that changes to 25 how do you know it's 25? Well, it's posted...

Now, if you're trying to say a stretch of road where it's posted 25 and the 25 zone lasts for 5 miles without another sign and the cop is sitting under a rise in the road or at the bottom of a hill well, I can see why people get ticketed and yet...it's...STILL...25...

Put down your phone...adjust your GPS BEFORE you start your car...and maybe you'll learn something about the roads you drive...every...day...

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 09, 2011 02:28PM

hadenuf Wrote:
> First of all, your response was immature and
> totally absurd. Secondly, yes speed traps do
> bother me. I do not like the indelible mark they
> leave on children.

LOL. Of all the millions of things you could complain about with respect to negative influences on children, you pick speed traps?

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: October 09, 2011 11:34PM

The op has a valid point. Cops hiding in the bushes give a negative impression and strike me as revenue collectors- hardly protecting and serving anyone. Away the self-righteous lemming flame team.

Date: October 10, 2011 08:07AM

Mikeymike Wrote:
> The op has a valid point. Cops hiding in the
> bushes give a negative impression and strike me as
> revenue collectors- hardly protecting and serving
> anyone. Away the self-righteous lemming flame
> team.

Again...it's not revenue collecting if you don't speed. Your beef is with the legislature (hint: those are the people that decide on the limits) and not with law enforcement (hint: those are the people that ENFORCE the limits as they currently exist). Now, go back to your Life cereal.

Posted by: logicaldog ()
Date: October 10, 2011 08:14AM

I really hate the people who constantly make the point: "if you aren't doing something wrong you should not have any concern about civil liberties", these are the same people who LIKE security cameras. It isn't about whether you are speeding or not it is about the quality of life, how do you feel about living in this civilization. I have noticed that I feel like I live in a police state, compared with other places that I have lived where there was a more helpful/harmonious relationship with the police. (they actually were in situations to help you or your children) Here you just have to warn your children (and yourself) to stay away from the police at all costs, at all times. You wouldn't seek help or assistance, or at least I wouldn't, too unpredictable.

Posted by: ......... ()
Date: October 10, 2011 10:56AM

Captain 20 Wrote:

> Again...it's not revenue collecting if you don't
> speed. Your beef is with the legislature (hint:
> those are the people that decide on the limits)

Speed limits are set by engineers. The legislature provides guidelines, but whether a road is posted at 35MPH or 45MPH is determined by the same incompetent VDOT engineer who can't figure out how to synchronize two traffic lights 500 feet apart.

Posted by: lolyer ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:05PM

logicaldog Wrote:
> I really hate the people who constantly make the
> point: "if you aren't doing something wrong you
> should not have any concern about civil
> liberties", these are the same people who LIKE
> security cameras. It isn't about whether you are
> speeding or not it is about the quality of life,
> how do you feel about living in this civilization.
> I have noticed that I feel like I live in a police
> state, compared with other places that I have
> lived where there was a more helpful/harmonious
> relationship with the police. (they actually were
> in situations to help you or your children) Here
> you just have to warn your children (and yourself)
> to stay away from the police at all costs, at all
> times. You wouldn't seek help or assistance, or at
> least I wouldn't, too unpredictable.

Very accurate.. Some posters begin to forget the recent {police state} Fairfax Public Schools as well..

I would laugh if any sensible, everyday "joe" gets pulled over or questioned about a crime they did not have anything to do with, just because they happened to be at the wrong place, wrong time.. Let's see how you value your civil liberties when you are berated and made an "example"..

It should not matter if you "don't have something to hide" .. I mean, the logic would be, "yea officer, although I did stop at the stop sign, search my car because I have nothing to hide!"

"Issue me a ticket via the speed cameras - even though it clearly was not me"

Posted by: Social Scientist ()
Date: October 10, 2011 12:12PM

I wish I could do an experiment, where I could take a young, beautiful girl, and have her walk the street after sunset..

Have bruises dotted up body (could be makeup or self inflicted), and say, have her walk past a single man, act like she needs help, calls the police, and let's see who the police believes..

The girl would of course say the man robbed her and approached her for sex; rape.. etc
The man would undoubtedly claim his innocents and claim he was just a friendly citizen helping one in need.. Would he get arrested? LOL

Posted by: youre an idiot ()
Date: October 10, 2011 01:14PM

logicaldog Wrote:
> I really hate the people who constantly make the
> point: "if you aren't doing something wrong you
> should not have any concern about civil
> liberties", these are the same people who LIKE
> security cameras. It isn't about whether you are
> speeding or not it is about the quality of life,
> how do you feel about living in this civilization.
> I have noticed that I feel like I live in a police
> state, compared with other places that I have
> lived where there was a more helpful/harmonious
> relationship with the police. (they actually were
> in situations to help you or your children) Here
> you just have to warn your children (and yourself)
> to stay away from the police at all costs, at all
> times. You wouldn't seek help or assistance, or at
> least I wouldn't, too unpredictable.

You are an absolute idiot. Really there is just no other way to put it. Your civil liberties? Are you fing kidding me?? Your clearly have ZERO idea what a police state is if you think NOVA in any way shape or form resembles one except in the fact that they both have police.

Date: October 10, 2011 01:32PM

......... Wrote:
> Captain 20 Wrote:
>
> > Again...it's not revenue collecting if you
> don't
> > speed. Your beef is with the legislature (hint:
> > those are the people that decide on the limits)
>
> Speed limits are set by engineers. The legislature
> provides guidelines, but whether a road is posted
> at 35MPH or 45MPH is determined by the same
> incompetent VDOT engineer who can't figure out how
> to synchronize two traffic lights 500 feet apart.

Legislature...engineers...whatever, Fucky McFuckstick...my POINT was it's not Johnny McBadge's job to say, "Wow, it's 45 here? That seems high to me...I'm going to write this ticket anyway..."

As for the people bitching about the connection to the restriction on civil liberties...wake up...this isn't 9/10/2000 anymore. I mean hey, keep pissing and moaning about your lack of civil liberties...the rest of us have rejected your reality and inserted our own.

Posted by: ......... ()
Date: October 10, 2011 04:03PM

Captain 20 Wrote:

> Legislature...engineers...whatever, Fucky
> McFuckstick...

Yea, what's the difference, right?

Date: October 10, 2011 04:32PM

......... Wrote:
> Captain 20 Wrote:
>
> > Legislature...engineers...whatever, Fucky
> > McFuckstick...
>
> Yea, what's the difference, right?

Wow...you really don't fucking get it, DO YOU? It doesn't make a difference who creates the zones, it's all in the enforcement.

And before you rip me on the date....9/10/2001...

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: October 10, 2011 04:59PM

OP:
Attachments:
1317755832793.png

Posted by: Mikeymike ()
Date: October 10, 2011 10:53PM

My Life cereal is even more delicious when your mom is feeding it to me. Anyway, fuck speed trap sitting cops, fuck lowest bidder traffic engineers, fuck money flushing legislators and, last but not least fuck you.

Date: October 11, 2011 09:51AM

WOW! This thread went downhill pretty quickly. The point here is not who sets the limits, who places the limit on the books or who has to enforce the limit. The point here is the use of speed traps. It has become readily apparent that the average citizen no longer trusts the government on any level. Cops are the face of the government in many situations. When a cop hides over a hill or in a bush, this adds to the lack of trust. Traffic enforcement is needed but the priority needs to be safety, not revenue enhancement!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.