HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
More buses seem the way
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: January 16, 2008 07:19AM

The new parking garage at Vienna will cost we are told 40 million dollars. I've been turned back there because of no place to park several times. It seems if we get more public transportation is should be on rubber tires as on a buss. Tax income is down and we are headed into a time when Fairfax will not have the money for parking garages which is needed to make metro work. The new Wheelie Avenue Metro plan doesn't have much capacity in the way of a parking garage because if it did it would add too much cost to the whole Dullas Rail project. People will just park wherever we are told.

I have been told that the actual cost of a metro ride is already more then six dollars and that's going up.

Meanwhile the problem with metro is getting to the metro station.

I recently took a express buss to the district from a Herndon Reston park and ride for 3 dollars! We can escape the burbs! But I almost didn't find a place to park which is free but crowded at Reston Herndon as opposed to expensive but not available at the Vienna Metro stop.

We've gotta include more buss in our mass transit thinking. Even if it replaces grandiose but unaffordable Metro expansion.
I wonder how much more buses the rail to Dulles could buy? Granted it dosen't sound as exciting but I'm starting to think it will give us a lot more needed public transportation for the buck.

We've got to include in the buss package some kind of public advertising or ecconomic incentives to get people to take the buss from homes because the parking garages that can be parked in are not going to be there.- Rod

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 08:09AM by Rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More buses seem the way
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 16, 2008 08:41AM

Rod wrote:
> We've got to include in the buss package some kind of public advertising or economic incentives

They'd have to come up with some pretty nifty ideas to encourage people to leave their cars in the garage and take the bus. I've lived within short walking distance of Metrobus stops for more than eleven years now, and I've never set foot on one. It just doesn't seem convenient or efficient. I probably wouldn't even use it if it were free. Of course that's just my opinion, but I'm guessing alot of folks feel the same way. I really like the idea of improved public transportation, and buses are certainly the cheapest solution. But until those lots and parking garages are jampacked to the point that they no longer serve a purpose, I don't see it being the answer.

Date: January 16, 2008 09:11AM

Gas doubling in price might be that needed incentive. Gas is currently doubled in price in some countries from what we pay here.

Have you ever tried to park in Vienna?

Date: January 16, 2008 09:26AM

Rod Wrote:
> Have you ever tried to park in Vienna?

I have never been to that station. The parking deck they added to West Falls Church a few years back made a world of difference to that station, and would probably do the same for Vienna.

Date: January 16, 2008 09:34AM

My guess is we are going to have a hard time coming up with 40 million dollars. Fairfax income is down. All metropolital municipalities income is down and that's going to be the reality for the next year or couple of years.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 16, 2008 10:06AM

Rod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gas doubling in price might be that needed
> incentive. Gas is currently doubled in price in
> some countries from what we pay here.
>
> Have you ever tried to park in Vienna?

Yes, today. Parked at 8:10 in my usual spot.

Posted by: PeopleLikeMe ()
Date: January 16, 2008 01:07PM

You people are retarted, go to Europe or any other country. People will ride public transportation.

Posted by: NotLikeMe ()
Date: January 16, 2008 01:12PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
> You people are retarted, go to Europe or any other
> country. People will ride public transportation.

I won't. I have in the past and people like you smell and are disgusting. The Metro is a cesspool of germs. I'll drive no matter the cost.

Date: January 16, 2008 01:15PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
You people are retarted, go to Europe or any other country. People will ride public transportation.

Hmmm, maybe we do need more funding for our schools...

Date: January 16, 2008 01:19PM

Then don't bitch about public transportation or funding for it. Either argue for it or against it. Flamer fag. BTW - I am not European or Mexican Asshole.

Date: January 16, 2008 01:24PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
Then don't bitch about public transportation or funding for it. Either argue for it or against it. Flamer fag. BTW - I am not European or Mexican Asshole.

Are you in the IB program at South Lakes?

Date: January 16, 2008 01:26PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
> Then don't bitch about public transportation or
> funding for it. Either argue for it or against it.
> Flamer fag. BTW - I am not European or Mexican
> Asshole.

You make ZERO sense. I never bitched about public transportation funding. I bithced about public transportation cleanliness. I have given up on bitching about funding for schools, transportation, and parks. We live in a county that thinks the takpayers have blank checks for the county's programs. It is a wasted effort to think this trend will ever reverse itself and therefore pointless to argue. Who ever said you were European or Mexican? What the hell is wrong with you? I think Meeper is right, our schools suck if this is your level of reading comprehension.

Date: January 16, 2008 01:34PM

Flamer. I was answering everyones bitching, not just yours. Selfish prick. Go live in a bubble you OCD neat freak.

I was saying, people bitch and complain about traffic, but wont use public transportation like buses, for stupid reasons like yourself. How can cities like London & Paris & Frankfurt & Tokyo have programs that work and we can't? Well its due to whiny people like yourself, that find mundane reasons not to ride.

So keep sitting in traffic in your car and go fuck yourself.

Date: January 16, 2008 01:59PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
So keep sitting in traffic in your car and go fuck yourself.

So, buses don't sit in traffic??

Seriously, it's almost like you are responding to an entirely different thread. I wasn't bitching about traffic, and I do use mass transit daily.

Also, using examples like Tokyo, London, or Paris is an unreasonable comparison.

Date: January 16, 2008 02:28PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
> Flamer. I was answering everyones bitching, not
> just yours. Selfish prick. Go live in a bubble you
> OCD neat freak.

Have you seen what people look like and do on the Metro? People coughing sneezing, wiping their germs everywhere. A gas station bathroom is probably cleaner.

> I was saying, people bitch and complain about
> traffic, but wont use public transportation like
> buses, for stupid reasons like yourself. How can
> cities like London & Paris & Frankfurt & Tokyo
> have programs that work and we can't? Well its due
> to whiny people like yourself, that find mundane
> reasons not to ride.
>
> So keep sitting in traffic in your car and go fuck
> yourself.

Yeah, 20-30 mins by car from Falls Church to 17th and Penn. What a nightmare. By the time I bussed and/or metroed it, I'd be at 35 mins. I'll take that 5-10 mins every day of the week and relish in the fact that I am not squeezed in with a bunch of dirty ass people. Plus, the damn system is cost prohibitive to people such as myself who don't have to pay for parking.

Date: January 16, 2008 04:00PM

Nope, buses are allowed to use breakdown lane. Do you even pay attention? Why is it unreasonable to compare to Paris and other big cities, they are just like here, Metro area with suburbs, thats right. At 10$ an hour you have never made if overseas, maybe to cancun when mason had a spring break sale for deadbeat students.

To NotlikeMe: 20-30 mins eh ? Maybe at 7am. Dude get a life man.... shit.

Date: January 16, 2008 04:13PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
> Nope, buses are allowed to use breakdown lane. Do
> you even pay attention? Why is it unreasonable to
> compare to Paris and other big cities, they are
> just like here, Metro area with suburbs, thats
> right. At 10$ an hour you have never made if
> overseas, maybe to cancun when mason had a spring
> break sale for deadbeat students.
>
> To NotlikeMe: 20-30 mins eh ? Maybe at 7am. Dude
> get a life man.... shit.

Where are there breakdown lanes along many roads in this area? Routes 7 and 29 come to mind and they don't have any. Besides, you are dead wrong about buses being able to use them. Sit on 395 or 95 S during rush hour and the buses cannot use the shoulders. If there is ever a breakdown in the HOV lanes along that corridor, the buses sit with the rest of traffic. Doubt the 20 to 30 mins all you want. It is 2 miles for me to get to 66 at the Sycamore Street exit and another 7.5 to downtown. All smooth sailing. I leave at 8 if I have HOV and 9 if I don't.

You sound like a 2 year old with your bus obsession. "Look, mommy, big bus, big bus"

Oh, and what the hell does this mean? Is this even English? "At 10$ an hour you have never made if overseas, maybe to cancun when mason had a spring break sale for deadbeat students."

Date: January 16, 2008 04:33PM

Quit making assumptions that you don't know about, buses do not use Rt.7 Chief. That is one of the points I am making.

Check out 267 E/W or 50 E/W or 66 E/W, or any other actual "highway", buses do and are allowed
to use the breakdown lane.

Now fuck off you dumbass.

Date: January 16, 2008 04:39PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
> Quit making assumptions that you don't know about,
> buses do not use Rt.7 Chief. That is one of the
> points I am making.

Buses DO use Rt. 7. They use Rt. 7 from the Potomac River in Alexandria to Rt. 15 in Leesburg. That is quite a stretch. And no, they are not invisible. Buses frequent 7, and if you don't know that you don't belong in this conversation.

> Check out 267 E/W or 50 E/W or 66 E/W, or any
> other actual "highway", buses do and are allowed
> to use the breakdown lane.

I don't know about outside the beltway, but inside, Buses CANNOT use the shoulders on 66 or 50.

> Now fuck off you dumbass.

You, sir, are a moron.

P.S. you still never translated that gobblygook crap from before. I am curious what buses in DC have to do with spring breakers in Cancun.

Date: January 16, 2008 04:48PM

PeopleLikeMe Wrote:
>Nope, buses are allowed to use breakdown lane. Do you even pay attention? Why is it unreasonable to compare to Paris and other big cities, they are just like here, Metro area with suburbs, thats right. At 10$
> an hour you have never made if overseas, maybe to cancun when mason had a spring break sale for deadbeat students.

Enough of your unintelligible yakkin and yakkin already, kid. I am wholly unimpressed with whatever argument you are attempting to make.

Date: January 16, 2008 04:51PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Enough of your unintelligible yakkin and yakkin
> already, kid. I am wholly unimpressed with
> whatever argument you are attempting to make.

No, No, No, I NEED to know what spring breakers in Cancun have to do with buses on Rt. 7. It may be the link to answer all questions in the universe. This could be the cosmic nexus we have been waiting for!

Date: January 16, 2008 04:57PM

NotLikeMe Wrote:
> No, No, No, I NEED to know what spring breakers in Cancun have to do with buses on Rt. 7. It may be the link to answer all questions in the universe.

I'll attempt to answer before he has time to post again:

"Well because if never you make $10 hour, spring bake sale at Cancun, and Rt. 7. Do you even pay attention?"

Hope that helps.

Date: January 16, 2008 06:11PM

I luv fucking with you flamers... made my day...

Date: January 16, 2008 06:13PM

Wait till I tell all my DUI Citizen patrol buds.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 16, 2008 06:54PM

Lots of people in Fairfax city use the CUE bus, but not metro.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 17, 2008 09:03PM

public transit is a joke. it took over an hour to get from the closest metro station to about a mile away from where i live via the CUE bus. it fucking stops so many fucking times. it's a 6 minute drive to my house from the metro by car. oh... and by the way, the bus ride cost WAY more than gas for my car would have cost and they only accept EXACT change!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.