HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Auto Paint Job
Posted by: Natice ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:49AM

Now that we are on the topic of best shops in town , I thought I would bring up and ask what is the best Body shop. I got an older but descent vehicle in great condition not too long ago that was originally white but it is now red. The paint looks ok....from the service record that the previous owner have provided me with, the car has been painted and pinstriped at "Earl Scheib Paint and Body" in Alexandria for $551.75 in less then 48 hours. Looking at the paint I am surprised that it looks as good as it does, not to mention it was done back in 06/2005 and it shows no fades. I am considering getting the car painted back in original white car considering the body is very straight and there absolutely no rust anywhere. Forgot to mention that for the $551 that he paid they also removed two dents and painted the door jambs. I want a descent paint job that I dont have to worry about coming off at the sign of a buffer and at the same time I am doing this on the budget as I am not restoring or planning on keeping the car for that long. Has anyone had experience first hand with body shops like Maaco and such?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Auto Paint Job
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:50AM

descent vehicle? what was it descended from?

Posted by: natice ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:53AM

decent...whatever, alcohol does the typing for me

Posted by: kyle ()
Date: January 15, 2008 02:14AM

Keep the color red. Just remember cops stop red cars more often.

Do what works for me ..... buy a can of paint from Home Depot, open the top, and throw the paint up in the air. Most of it will fall on your car and your car will look better than it did before.

Posted by: CandyMan ()
Date: January 15, 2008 12:01PM

Remeber u get what u paid for, sounds like u got lucky with that earl sheib job..
All maacos are different, depends on who paints the car..and the prep work is the most important..Maaco just tapes it up and sprays it with some cheap paint.
best bet is to take it to a good body shop, theres some good ones in fairfax, right off of 50 b4 fairfax circle, off of Draper Dr. But if i were u id go with a Candy or Pearl ;).. give me a year and hopefully ill be Painting.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: January 15, 2008 12:13PM

black pearl...

if you want an expensive job, take it to precision collision.. they got some nice paint!

give me a year and i'll be paintin too.. just got a SATA gun o_O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2008 12:14PM by bdimag.

Posted by: native ()
Date: January 16, 2008 03:56AM

I was thinking metallic silver. I think its one of those colors that could look well on an older vehicle. I cant do red vehicles. I think red is the first color that the clear coat comes off of and it gets oxidized really quick.
Attachments:
that red.jpg

Posted by: native ()
Date: January 16, 2008 03:58AM

I like the paint on this car, something like this
Attachments:
silver.jpg

Posted by: gesoffen ()
Date: January 16, 2008 02:51PM

Just up the street from Earl Schieb is Wagon Works Collision. Best shop in town IMHO. I've heard good things about springfield autobody too. You pay for what you get though.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.